Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

M

merseawolf

I sometimes think of it from the other way round too; if you were a non-Portuguese player looking for a club, would you see Wolves as a genuine possibility or would you think of us as a no-go given not only our preference for Portuguese, but also Nuno not straying outside of his 14 trusted players?

I find it difficult to criticise Wolves at the moment having sat through decades of dross, but I'd say my one gripe is that we haven't brought through any youth (MGW aside). Perhaps they're just not good enough or not ready yet but most other teams in the PL can point to at least one example of a youth player having broken through into the 1st team.

I'd like to see the youngsters given more of a chance this season.
They will play if they are good enough

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can tell you for a fact that Jota and Vinagre didn't live together. Jota has lived with his girlfriend and their dog in the same house since they moved here from Portugal.
I heard he recently moved into one of my (posh) friends moms next door neighbours house.

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Latest rumour we want Ocampos from Sevilla .. source Sportslens .. but as Jeff says media 99% incorrect

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I reckon Javi Martinez would be a very good signing. Could compete with Neves and Moutinho in midfield and cover any of the central defenders including Coady where we lack cover. He's a proven winner with 8 consecutive Bundesliga titles who averages a not too shabby 85-90% pass completion most years so he'd also help us keep the ball better against better teams.

Bayern won't give him a new contract and Rummenigge has confirmed he'll likely leave this summer after the Champions League final. He's one of the lower earners at Bayern (100k) so is probably just about within reach wages wise. Various European clubs are interested (Fiorentina, Rennes, Bilbao) but none of the big boys yet. He'd likely be available for less than 10m and would be a similar age and pedigree to Moutinho when he joined back in 2018.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member LP 3925

Without Portugal, where would we be?
Probably in the same place as we’re on the same tectonic plate. However, it does seem that the bottom of the plate at Portugal is peeling away, closing the Atalantic Ocean over time and inching us towards Canada. In time, we may turn to Canadian talent, which would make Hawkguy even more unbearable, although probably too late to appreciate the talents of Jonathan David.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
thoughts on sanches vs palinha?

still gutted we never went for an olmo i think thats what we missed v sevilla/olympiakos.

I know we didnt have an enforcer but i still think we need a link between the forwards and midfield.

Especailly with traore who stands still and doesnt press

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quick point- does anyone at the moment get tired of focusing on Portuguese nationals? im not saying we solely go for Portuguese players, ie dendocker/Jimenez etc. But we do tend to look at Portuguese leagues first and inevitably have a large base of Portuguese nationals, just feel we cut ourselves off from so much other talent out there.

I get that we have far more expertise and knowledge of those leagues with the backroom staff, but there are other leagues..

I briefly get your point - and then I don’t care

Portugal are churning out that many good young players at the moment, and we have priority access to them

So no, not really

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

still gutted we never went for an olmo i think thats what we missed v sevilla/olympiakos.

I know we didnt have an enforcer but i still think we need a link between the forwards and midfield.

We def need that link player

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Think they are two very different players

Sanches will be much more expensive if the rumour verse is to be believed valued at 60mil plus seems a hands off statement by lille who don't need the money after selling Omishen for 50 mil odd

Think palhina fits the bracket of being mobile enough to screen the defence and bring the ball out freeing up Neves who when playinng more forward wolves play better, as seen in the great stats thread

Unless Nuno goes for an option C such as a 3-4-1-2, there's doubt an traditional Cam would come in

Olmo would have been a good signing but a bit far out our reach in comparison to Dortmund who are assembling a great team.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just mentioned on SSN that we (along with Newcastle) are interested in Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just mentioned on SSN that we (along with Newcastle) are interested in Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

I thought spurs were after matiland-niles i guess he can play wingback but hes more of a winger which we are surplus to

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought spurs were after matiland-niles i guess he can play wingback but hes more of a winger which we are surplus to

Wants to play more centrally. If he comes in, you'd imagine it would be to compete with Doc and provide cover in couple other areas.

I'm pretty sure that I read that he was now staying at Arsenal though.

17miles

Reaction score
Rayan Aït-Nouri the 1st Angers player to test positive for COVID-19.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talksport saying we're after Doucoure along with Fulham and Everton

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TalkS**** and Jim White have us as going in for Doucoure as well. Whilst never the most reliable of places, and with Andy Durham peddling his "Wolves might get relegated" nonsense, it's more reliable than some foreign outlets and kids creating twitter accounts.

Initially I thought "Why would we be after both Palhinha and Doucoure"? but then it occured to me that they are firstly two totally different players and also, we *might* be sending both Jordao and MGW out on loan, that would leave us with only 3 CM's (Neves, Joao and Donck - I'm classing Saiss as backup for whoever our new CB is).

Palhinha is a water carrier - the Portuguese Matic as I have seen on Twitter this morning. This is a perfect description of him. He won;t do anything pretty at all. He'll just get in the way. Which, in a 5 man midfield, could be very useful in games against the more attack minded sides.

Doucoure is a classic Box to Box midfielder. All action, very athletic, gets forward, carries the ball AND has a goal in him. Over the last 2 seasons he has been one of Watford standouts, even though they've been awful.

Could we be in line for a midfield revamp? I love a glass of Vino but he's 34 in a couple of weeks and just come off the longest season of his career. I see him being used much more sparingly this season. Neves needs to be allowed to dictate things A La Pirlo and Donck can be the utility guy, as he has demonstrated he can be.

Just thinking aloud :cool:

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
TalkS**** and Jim White have us as going in for Doucoure as well. Whilst never the most reliable of places, and with Andy Durham peddling his "Wolves might get relegated" nonsense, it's more reliable than some foreign outlets and kids creating twitter accounts.

Initially I thought "Why would we be after both Palhinha and Doucoure"? but then it occured to me that they are firstly two totally different players and also, we *might* be sending both Jordao and MGW out on loan, that would leave us with only 3 CM's (Neves, Joao and Donck - I'm classing Saiss as backup for whoever our new CB is).

Palhinha is a water carrier - the Portuguese Matic as I have seen on Twitter this morning. This is a perfect description of him. He won;t do anything pretty at all. He'll just get in the way. Which, in a 5 man midfield, could be very useful in games against the more attack minded sides.

Doucoure is a classic Box to Box midfielder. All action, very athletic, gets forward, carries the ball AND has a goal in him. Over the last 2 seasons he has been one of Watford standouts, even though they've been awful.

Could we be in line for a midfield revamp? I love a glass of Vino but he's 34 in a couple of weeks and just come off the longest season of his career. I see him being used much more sparingly this season. Neves needs to be allowed to dictate things A La Pirlo and Donck can be the utility guy, as he has demonstrated he can be.

Could be in for both and then Donk becomes a cb option for the right allowing boly on the left with Saiss as back up

Purely hypothetical off course

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'd agree with this.

There has been ample opportunity to bring on MGW and Nuno hasn't so I guess Nuno doesn't think he's good enough

If we bring in Palhinha and Doucoure and lose MGW and Jordao we're in a much stronger position

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be in for both and then Donk becomes a cb option for the right allowing boly on the left with Saiss as back up

Purely hypothetical off course

It does and I see the logic in that, but would still rather we went for a proper out and out plays nowhere else CB

R

reanswolf

I'd agree with this.

There has been ample opportunity to bring on MGW and Nuno hasn't so I guess Nuno doesn't think he's good enough

If we bring in Palhinha and Doucoure and lose MGW and Jordao we're in a much stronger position
Doucoure and Palhina would be a dream in midfield for me, and transform us.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW has a better chance of a future in MTV or ITV2 imo. And even those chances I'd say are pretty slim, he needs to be seen with at least 2 or 3 more fake plastic women before being taken seriously in that industry.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
£20M seems a bit more like it.

£30M was pushing it but being young and English I could see where the premium was coming from.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally, I think we already have that very player in Pedro Neto.

id like to see jordao and neto play together, that would be interesting see if they have a good link.

I know its very presumptuous but we do have banish if he returns from injury well.

I like podence as a midfield link he looks to have a really good eye for a pass/ link play. just needs the ball on the ground

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree about Olmo but that ship has sailed. I agree an attacking midfielder badly needed unless Neves can do the job with another enforcer behind him. But Neves not really that kind of attacking player imv.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
id like to see jordao and neto play together, that would be interesting see if they have a good link.

I know its very presumptuous but we do have banish if he returns from injury well.

I like podence as a midfield link he looks to have a really good eye for a pass/ link play. just needs the ball on the ground
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that autocorrect changed that from Shabani? :D

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I
Personally, I think we already have that very player in Pedro Neto.

I agree . Or Jota . I just don’t see Nuno playing that formation though.

although perhaps he wants a proper CDM to be able to go 4 at the back

no chance he is changing to a back4 in a 2 week pre season tho

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In cricket, I recall English fans giving Aussie Shane Warne the ultimate sign of respect, by singing "we only wish you were English".

To be fair we also gave him dogs abuse too! When his Mrs left him in 2005 a chant went around Edgbaston saying "wheres your Mrs gone, wheres your Mrs gone..." he wouldn't bowl until we stopped and we didn't stop for about 5 minutes, you could see he was getting seriously passed off at the end! It was highly amusing!!!!

Back
Top Bottom