Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Interesting note

from Tugasport

However, although Palhinha is expected to join Wolverhampton Wanderers this window, there is a strong possibility that he will only join the club after the 15th September, as any sale before that date would ensure that Sporting would need to pay Braga 15% of the fee. A proposal is therefore in place, but nothing is expected until September unless Wolves increase their offer.

Pure rhetorical speculation here, no need for people to tell me I'm wrong, but....

Given that Braga are part of the Mendes list, as we are, it seems a bit weird that Wolves would agree to delay a transfer specifically to make Braga miss out, especially when we are also reported to be in for a Braga player. So I wonder if this is part of the overall package. Either Wolves push the deal through sooner so Braga get their cut, OR the do the deal later so Sporting keep all the money, but pay a little over the odds for Paulinho so Braga don't lose out.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that I'm not a crazy stalker or anything.

I just happen to know this for a very specific reason which would not really be appropriate to explain here.

That's no problem, no questions asked :)

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pure rhetorical speculation here, no need for people to tell me I'm wrong, but....

Given that Braga are part of the Mendes list, as we are, it seems a bit weird that Wolves would agree to delay a transfer specifically to make Braga miss out, especially when we are also reported to be in for a Braga player. So I wonder if this is part of the overall package. Either Wolves push the deal through sooner so Braga get their cut, OR the do the deal later so Sporting keep all the money, but pay a little over the odds for Paulinho so Braga don't lose out.

It certainly could be the case,

I.e pay more for palhina and pay less for Paulinho so it balances out, transfer merry-go-round

D

Deleted member 4184

Palninha a very much defensive minded player, will rotate with Moutinho maybe? I'd like Jordao to get a chance this season too.

Really hope we can sign a striker to compete with Jimenez and also a right sided version of Boly, maybe an older left back who is in the final years of his career to come in whilst Jonny is injured, or someone on loan.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Palninha a very much defensive minded player, will rotate with Moutinho maybe? I'd like Jordao to get a chance this season too.

Really hope we can sign a striker to compete with Jimenez and also a right sided version of Boly, maybe an older left back who is in the final years of his career to come in whilst Jonny is injured, or someone on loan.

i think we need legs in central midfield. neves and moutinho have been running on empty

i'm interested that dendoncker or saiss aren't seen as neves' fellow CDM, though dendoncker has been tried there. but his nature is to gallop forward - he's better used in a high press

i can definitely see the need for a skilful but physical central midfielder. this bloke certainly looked the real deal when we played braga at molineux

i just hope we get beyond the halfway line!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Everyone looking at him as a midfield signing. Could be being brought in as competition for Coady, or even as an outside centre back option. He can play there.

He could even be played as a more attacking sweeper, in front of the defence rather than behind, maybe as an option where we need to be more on the front foot.

Nuno could have all sorts of ideas in mind for him.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have spent tonight reading up on Palhinha. He is a right snotter by all accounts. Not one for technique or flair. We lack that. Whilst Dendoncker is a big lad he is not aggressive and in players faces. Likewise for Neves or Moutinho, as good as they all are.

I know what we needed in the second half of the Olympiakos and particularly the Sevilla game, someone who would get in there faces and stop them playing. Hopefully this lad is the person to help do that.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have spent tonight reading up on Palhinha. He is a right snotter by all accounts. Not one for technique or flair. We lack that. Whilst Dendoncker is a big lad he is not aggressive and in places faces. Likewise for Neves or Moutinho, as good as they all are.

I know what we needed in the second half of the Olympiakos and particularly the Sevilla game, someone who would get in there faces and stop them playing. Hopefully this lad is the person to help do that.
Sounds good

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Palhinha was one of three opposition players that really stood out to me in the Europa League run (pre-Olympiakos and Sevilla anyway) with the other two being Belotti and Sporar.

Based on what I saw at Molineux, I’d be thrilled to get him.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Admittedly I was being a little optimistic with valuations but bennett for £1m?!? A player who started most of the games last season in one of the better defences in the premier league. Please tell me that is sarcasm. Bonatini on a free? The fact you have valued miranda at more than Bonatini proves further this is a wind up.
No one wants bonatini and he is taking up a wage.

Milijas

Reaction score
I'd like to point out that I'm not a crazy stalker or anything.

I just happen to know this for a very specific reason which would not really be appropriate to explain here.

You follow him on Instagram? Or are you one of those illusive mythical creatures referred to as 'The in the knows'

D

Deleted member 5962

You follow him on Instagram? Or are you one of those illusive mythical creatures referred to as 'The in the knows'

Or could just live in the area. :p (I hope its that and not some guy living on Jotas social media timeline anyway)

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whoever joins is going to find it difficult to cement a place in our first team unless they are exceptional. Everyone knows nuno likes to have them well drilled with a pre season before hand and we kick off in around 1 months time.

Unless they are a left wing back?

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Palhinha was one of three opposition players that really stood out to me in the Europa League run (pre-Olympiakos and Sevilla anyway) with the other two being Belotti and Sporar.

Based on what I saw at Molineux, I’d be thrilled to get him.

I think I'm right in saying he was the midfielder who got across the pitch at one point to disposes Traore. Totally taking him out without fouling him? Obviously, wasn't a fan of it in that moment, but that player in our squad would be fantastic.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have spent tonight reading up on Palhinha. He is a right snotter by all accounts. Not one for technique or flair. We lack that. Whilst Dendoncker is a big lad he is not aggressive and in players faces. Likewise for Neves or Moutinho, as good as they all are.

Interestingly Sevilla have been in for Palhinha. If he's good enough for them, we should be happy

Surprised he's not going there given they have CL football, but this deal seems wrapped up in the Goncalves deal to Sporting so daresay Jorge is pulling strings. We def owe him (gulp)

Hixon Wolf

Reaction score
I think I'm right in saying he was the midfielder who got across the pitch at one point to disposes Traore. Totally taking him out without fouling him? Obviously, wasn't a fan of it in that moment, but that player in our squad would be fantastic.
I'm sure there's a clip of it on youtube somewhere.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a clip of it on youtube somewhere.

Here starting at 4.53 I think. Bit of a tag team effort on Traore but it’s fair to say Palhinha (number 60) made some incredible ground to get over

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not "In the know" at all, thank God. Not Instagram either. It's just a very mundane reason to do with a family member and their day job but people do have a right to expect privacy so I'm not going to start giving out details on the Internet.

Last edited:
R

reanswolf

Its in this 3 minute recent clip.

I admit to only having seen him once at Molineux, but along with Tring and one or two others, for me this lad really stood out against us for Braga at Molineux, and dominated our midfield.

He appears to be far more mobile than any of our CM 3, he can run forward with the ball and dominate the middle of the pitch. Defensively very strong. This would hopefully free up more time and space for Neves to thrive and mean we don't sit as deeply, though of course counter-attacking is still our game.

Can he do it at this level? Well Nuno and the team must have been watchng his progress. Personally I would be thrilled if we got him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He also spoke about Valencia.
Mexico international Cesar Montes on links to Valencia summer move: "They are a great team to go to play for in Europe."
Think he is just trying to push a move to Europe reminds me of the Edson Alvarez links last season.
He's 6ft 5" sounds like a total unit

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Looks ideal based on that video, midfield spoiler with a load of energy.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quick point- does anyone at the moment get tired of focusing on Portuguese nationals? im not saying we solely go for Portuguese players, ie dendocker/Jimenez etc. But we do tend to look at Portuguese leagues first and inevitably have a large base of Portuguese nationals, just feel we cut ourselves off from so much other talent out there.

I get that we have far more expertise and knowledge of those leagues with the backroom staff, but there are other leagues..

D

Deleted member 4152

I can tell you for a fact that Jota and Vinagre didn't live together. Jota has lived with his girlfriend and their dog in the same house since they moved here from Portugal.
In his 1st season didn’t he live on the wro?. Every time i saw him his gf was with him. Every time i walked past into the village both cars were there. They moved somewhere else this season

D

Deleted member 5635

Quick point- does anyone at the moment get tired of focusing on Portuguese nationals? im not saying we solely go for Portuguese players, ie dendocker/Jimenez etc. But we do tend to look at Portuguese leagues first and inevitably have a large base of Portuguese nationals, just feel we cut ourselves off from so much other talent out there.

I get that we have far more expertise and knowledge of those leagues with the backroom staff, but there are other leagues..
Maybe we can’t afford the same quality from other leagues and get better deals. I do get your point though.

R

reanswolf

I think the key reason is that that market offers far better value for money. And having a mini-Portugal here is big bonus for them as a group, and hence it works very well for us as a strategic method. None of this 'Big-time Charlie', "I want to live in London" ****** you get from so many English lads.

Its really good that we have so many Portuguese lads, i really like everything about them, personality wise, skill-wise, application and dedication, everything....................deeply respectful to our club and its fanbase and enjoy living in the area.

In cricket, I recall English fans giving Aussie Shane Warne the ultimate sign of respect, by singing "we only wish you were English".

Thats how I feel towards Ruben, Joao, Rui, Diogo, Ruben V, Pedro, Nuno etc. And to our other non-English lads too. But the Portuguese core have been absolutely wonderful and I love them to bits.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the key reason is that that market offers far better value for money. And having a mini-Portugal here is big bonus for them as a group, and hence it works very well for us as a strategic method. None of this 'Big-time Charlie', "I want to live in London" ****** you get from so many English lads.

Its really good that we have so many Portuguese lads, i really like everything about them, personality wise, skill-wise, application and dedication, everything....................deeply respectful to our club and its fanbase and enjoy living in the area.

In cricket, I recall English fans giving Aussie Shane Warne the ultimate sign of respect, by singing "we only wish you were English".

Thats how I feel towards Ruben, Joao, Rui, Diogo, Ruben V, Pedro, Nuno etc. And to our other non-English lads too. But the Portuguese core have been absolutely wonderful and I love them to bits.

Dont get me wrong you cant fault recruitment and we have had a fantastic crop of players, but there are very good young french/German/Italians/brazilians/belgians/dutch out there to

Last edited:

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In his 1st season didn’t he live on the wro?. Every time i saw him his gf was with him. Every time i walked past into the village both cars were there. They moved somewhere else this season
Not doubting you but at least the last couple of years it's been Compton.

Sidaway

Reaction score
Dont get me wrong you cant fault recruitment and we have had a fantastic crop of players, but there are very good your french/german/italaians out there to
I think the Portuguese contingency helps the players settle in and also improves team bonding. Look at Cutrone for example, only Italian at the club, didn't like it there, threw his toys out the pram and he was gone 4 months later.

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I sometimes think of it from the other way round too; if you were a non-Portuguese player looking for a club, would you see Wolves as a genuine possibility or would you think of us as a no-go given not only our preference for Portuguese, but also Nuno not straying outside of his 14 trusted players?

I find it difficult to criticise Wolves at the moment having sat through decades of dross, but I'd say my one gripe is that we haven't brought through any youth (MGW aside). Perhaps they're just not good enough or not ready yet but most other teams in the PL can point to at least one example of a youth player having broken through into the 1st team.

I'd like to see the youngsters given more of a chance this season.

R

reanswolf

Dont get me wrong you cant fault recruitment and we have had a fantastic crop of players, but there are very good your french/german/italaians out there to
I suspect its down to price. You can get real bargains from the Portuguese League, double their price if they were in any of the other Leagues, though its probably more of a gamble because obviously the Portuguese League (with all due respect) is not as competitive except Benfica, Sporting and Porto of course who are all excellent. Braga showed however, that even the smaller clubs have golden nuggets. I think it makes sense to get players from there.

Without Portugal, where would we be?

Back
Top Bottom