Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Some nice ideas. What we need short term is to accelerate the City centre away from retail and towards hospitality, leisure events, more uni and actual housing. It's astonishing how few people actually live within the ring road. Secondly completely redesign the ring road. Move away from most of it if we can. The ring road goes through half of what i think is the actual City, so do away with what we can. Then replace it with a Metro loop extension around the City stopping at current sites (Art gallery, Civic halls, Molineux and others) and future sites (West side). Then lastly a feeder tram route into the town centre from Wednesfield and Willenhall. These are areas that historically are closely tied to Wolverhampton. Give people access to the town centre and footfall will go up.

I hold hope for Wolves in the next 20 years, i just hope the council are able enough to take advantage of Government funding that seems to be coming our way (see government housing department office in Wolves at i10 as a prime example)
You think this lot will provide genuine funding you're dreaming. Will go on a contract to Jenrick's mate who builds 10 houses for 500m

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not certain I’d want to but a year at the Alex Stadium in return for a new South Bank and Steve Bull might be worth it. Heck even Barcelona are moving out of the Nou Camp to redevelop.

Currently sat in it 30k capacity and I suspect we could go slightly higher.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not certain I’d want to but a year at the Alex Stadium in return for a new South Bank and Steve Bull might be worth it. Heck even Barcelona are moving out of the Nou Camp to redevelop.

Currently sat in it 30k capacity and I suspect we could go slightly higher.

It's a touch small but I'd be okay with that. Not sure how they'd do that with the season ticket holders.

But if we could get some temp stands in and get the stadium revamped then it would be perfect. Especially if they just get the whole thing done. Even if it takes a couple of years.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a touch small but I'd be okay with that. Not sure how they'd do that with the season ticket holders.

But if we could get some temp stands in and get the stadium revamped then it would be perfect. Especially if they just get the whole thing done. Even if it takes a couple of years.
So long as they keep the temporary stands for Commonwealth Games then 30k capacity is fine and looks to me they could add a couple of thousand more. Even if they didn’t that capacity is likely to be higher than Molineux would be whilst it was being redeveloped.

I’d worry about drop of form though during year away.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So long as they keep the temporary stands for Commonwealth Games then 30k capacity is fine and looks to me they could add a couple of thousand more. Even if they didn’t that capacity is likely to be higher than Molineux would be whilst it was being redeveloped.

I’d worry about drop of form though during year away.

I don't think we'll be getting relegated or getting Europe so it's the best time to get a our stadium up to standard.

I didn't know it was 30k google said 18k

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we'll be getting relegated or getting Europe so it's the best time to get a our stadium up to standard.

I didn't know it was 30k google said 18k

It’s 18k when the temporary stands have been removed, but 30k with them and the potential for 40k if needed..

As a temporary home while Molineux was redeveloped, it would be good.

Last edited:

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s 18k when the temporary stands have been removed, but 30k with them and the potential for 40k if needed..

As a temporary home while Molineux was redeveloped, it would be good. But I think we are at least 2 years behind in our planning for it to be an option.

Is it going anywhere, or could we already be in talks for it, I'd imagine they'd love the opportunity, to help pay for it

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it going anywhere, or could we already be in talks for it, I'd imagine they'd love the opportunity, to help pay for it

I changed my post for the same reason. You’re right, it’s not going anywhere and the temporary stands can be brought back in the future. It would certainly open up lots of options for redeveloping Molineux without the cost, time and complexity of stand by stand.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Wolverhampton Councils track record of delivery on time, don’t expect anything to happen in the near future.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
With Wolverhampton Councils track record of delivery on time, don’t expect anything to happen in the near future.
In 2019, I was told Wolves were in almost daily talks re stadium development with Wolverhampton City Council.
Not my words. Almost daily talks.. that suggests intensive discussions were taking place, yet for some reason fizzled out with nothing happening.

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In 2019, I was told Wolves were in almost daily talks re stadium development with Wolverhampton City Council.
Not my words. Almost daily talks.. that suggests intensive discussions were taking place, yet for some reason fizzled out with nothing happening.
Some time around/after 2019 any stadium development came under the Molineux northern quarter regeneration scheme..where the University are very much involved and obvs things are much more complex. Guessing that`s why its all gone a bit quiet.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

The whole world changed in 2020.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some time around/after 2019 any stadium development came under the Molineux northern quarter regeneration scheme..where the University are very much involved and obvs things are much more complex. Guessing that`s why its all gone a bit quiet.

I’m not so sure.

If Fosun had wished to proceed with redevelopment of Molineux then whatever the state of the Molineux Quarter vision, the council would have jumped at it. They are desperate for tangible investment in the city, and expanding and improving Molineux would have been a great example.

The latest vision for the Molineux Quarter highlights all the land around Molineux and the land owned by Fosun, rather than showing it as part of the vision. Sure Molineux is shown enlarged, but it’s just the placeholder from the club two years ago. As if to highlight the disconnect, on the new vision, look at the land between Molineux, Waterloo Rd and the Ring Road. There is nothing there. That’s in stark contrast from the earlier vision for the Molineux Quarter, where that land had restaurants and bars linked to the new pedestrian ring road crossing. There is still a new crossing, but nothing on the land owned by Fosun.

My read from the plans, is that Fosun are not involved other than as a stakeholder. Fosun would likely welcome the vision to redevelop the land around Molineux as it enhances the value of their land, and eliminates the councils concerns about access for an enlarged Molineux. But I see no active integration of Molineux into these plans beyond what looks like a tented fan park behind the North Bank.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

As a temporary home while Molineux was redeveloped, it would be good.
Not being funny but have you ever been there?

The new stadium might look nice, but like all such places it would be terrible as a football stadium. That might be a price worth paying for an amazing New Molineux on the same plot, but it's also totally unsuitable in terms of access in my experience. I'd far rather us play at Villa Park if such an arrangement became necessary and possible.

Not that any of that matters, it's all about as likely as Lopetegui arriving and spending £100m rebuilding the team around Neves.

Nige

Reaction score
Yep Wolves Wanted the Council to fund some of the redevelopment and they probably refused..

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not being funny but have you ever been there?

The new stadium might look nice, but like all such places it would be terrible as a football stadium. That might be a price worth paying for an amazing New Molineux on the same plot, but it's also totally unsuitable in terms of access in my experience. I'd far rather us play at Villa Park if such an arrangement became necessary and possible.

Not that any of that matters, it's all about as likely as Lopetegui arriving and spending £100m rebuilding the team around Neves.

No, never been there, just going by images and reading about it. Right size, not too far away and no football rivalries. Athletics stadiums make very poor football stadiums I know, but my assumption is that it would be two years max. I also assume they’d sort out transport to make it work.

But, it’s not going to happen so it’s all academic!

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With talk of increasing capacity at Molineux, It would a good start if the city council would provide more match day parking. Cambridge Street was double yellow lined with only small amount of parking spaces.
And now Shaw Road has also been closed for parking, with double yellow lines.

Finch3d

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With talk of increasing capacity at Molineux, It would a good start if the city council would provide more match day parking. Cambridge Street was double yellow lined with only small amount of parking spaces.
And now Shaw Road has also been closed for parking, with double yellow lines.

It would be great if the science park opened up its car park at the weekends for us...

And also if people parked on the roads around there a bit better to maximise the space. So many cars take up almost 2 spots.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Here's a thought, they're looking to regime the House of Lords whilst it's having a £13bn paint job. "Sir" Gavin Williamson is putting forward Wolverhampton as a temporary home. They say 76 years to do the job if they don't relocate, so guessing it's a c10 year project if they do.

Now a rebuild of the Steve Bull with a suitable chamber and a new Hotel (otherwise it's the Britannia for them) to accommodate the said Lords and Bob's yer Uncle, we get a new stand, town gets a new hotel and some people in London will pay for it out of public funds that they'd have spent on another shiny building in the capital otherwise!

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went to the Diamond League Athletics on Saturday. It wasn’t too bad on a nice day as a one off, but I think crowds would seriously drop off if we were playing 19+ games there, especially for a second season and night matches.

The view wasn’t too bad for an athletics stadium, but the facilities are basic at best. No toilets, only portaloos, and none of those with hand washing facilities. Half a dozen catering vans at extortionate prices (even by stadium food prices). No roof behind either end, I caught the sun quite badly (note to self or anyone else: take a hat for the games in a few months), but also if/when it rains then it’s going to be really grim. There’s no cover anywhere, in or outside the stands.

Getting there was a pain in the **** too, even with dedicated shuttle busses. Classic British transport planning, instead of having them leave from outside New Street, you had to walk 15 minutes through the city centre to Aston University to catch them. There were no signs, only a couple of volunteers standing around looking bored, on their phone/smoking with signs propped up against the lamppost they were leaning on. Loads of people were lost and asking for directions, trying to follow the trickle of people. Then on the ‘shuttle busses’, instead of having a dedicated lane, a 2 mile, 10 minute journey took half an hour stuck in traffic, especially near the stadium where they didn’t seem to have publicised that they were closing roads given the amount of drivers holding traffic up doing 3 point turns. All a bit of a shambles that could have been done so much better. Good day other than that, but would be a real bind if Wolves moved there. Would sooner share at the Whorethorns.

Took some pictures if anyones interested.

Incidentally, the ‘big’ screens were as bad as ours are at Molineux. Couldn’t see a thing on them.

PMWachg.jpg

W02c8Qq.jpg

JqEklfc.jpg

2QHFt3r.jpeg

ouNYyWj.jpeg

rThXIhQ.jpeg

9x9JaH5.jpeg

8joF04F.jpeg

2Z1ehCq.jpeg

pY9mQK3.jpeg

i3XvzAy.jpeg

IWY6E2M.jpeg

GWaGhOm.jpeg

iW3RSs0.jpeg

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went to the Diamond League Athletics on Saturday. It wasn’t too bad on a nice day as a one off, but I think crowds would seriously drop off if we were playing 19+ games there, especially for a second season and night matches.

The view wasn’t too bad for an athletics stadium, but the facilities are basic at best. No toilets, only portaloos, and none of those with hand washing facilities. Half a dozen catering vans at extortionate prices (even by stadium food prices). No roof behind either end, I caught the sun quite badly (note to self or anyone else: take a hat for the games in a few months), but also if/when it rains then it’s going to be really grim. There’s no cover anywhere, in or outside the stands.

Getting there was a pain in the **** too, even with dedicated shuttle busses. Classic British transport planning, instead of having them leave from outside New Street, you had to walk 15 minutes through the city centre to Aston University to catch them. There were no signs, only a couple of volunteers standing around looking bored, on their phone/smoking with signs propped up against the lamppost they were leaning on. Loads of people were lost and asking for directions, trying to follow the trickle of people. Then on the ‘shuttle busses’, instead of having a dedicated lane, a 2 mile, 10 minute journey took half an hour stuck in traffic, especially near the stadium where they didn’t seem to have publicised that they were closing roads given the amount of drivers holding traffic up doing 3 point turns. All a bit of a shambles that could have been done so much better. Good day other than that, but would be a real bind if Wolves moved there. Would sooner share at the Whorethorns.

Incidentally, the ‘big’ screens were as bad as ours are at Molineux. Couldn’t see a thing on them.

PMWachg.jpg

W02c8Qq.jpg

JqEklfc.jpg

2QHFt3r.jpeg

ouNYyWj.jpeg

rThXIhQ.jpeg

9x9JaH5.jpeg

8joF04F.jpeg

2Z1ehCq.jpeg

pY9mQK3.jpeg

i3XvzAy.jpeg

IWY6E2M.jpeg

GWaGhOm.jpeg

iW3RSs0.jpeg
Great photos, thanks for sharing! Really annoys me, this. Compare this to what Manchester got for the Commonwealth Games. The Midlands gets a new stand and a load of scaffolding. I can't help but think the games are just gonna be an embarrassment to the region, to be honest. I know we were awarded it later than usual, but it just feels like the Midlands has been shafted again.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great photos, thanks for sharing! Really annoys me, this. Compare this to what Manchester got for the Commonwealth Games. The Midlands gets a new stand and a load of scaffolding. I can't help but think the games are just gonna be an embarrassment to the region, to be honest. I know we were awarded it later than usual, but it just feels like the Midlands has been shafted again.
Even with the capacity, at 30,000 it will be the smallest stadium used since the 1980’s. Only Victoria in Canada in 1994 came close, and that’s a city with a population of 92,000!

The planned athletics village has turned into putting them up in Uni digs and bussing them in. London has had to step in for the cycling as Birmingham hasn’t got the facilities. Perry Barr rail station won’t be open until 3 weeks after the games has finished. The track is a cheaper version compared to elite tracks. And compared to the original plans, it’s very cheap.

W88OTX5.jpg

This is why Manchester is clearly the real second city now.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

PMWachg.jpg

W02c8Qq.jpg

JqEklfc.jpg

2QHFt3r.jpeg

ouNYyWj.jpeg

rThXIhQ.jpeg

9x9JaH5.jpeg

8joF04F.jpeg

2Z1ehCq.jpeg

pY9mQK3.jpeg

i3XvzAy.jpeg

IWY6E2M.jpeg

GWaGhOm.jpeg

iW3RSs0.jpeg

Thanks and great photos. Based on that, I’ll change my mind on my earlier comment about this being a good option. However it maybe is now a more realistic option since Jeff seems to love his roofless temporary stands!

More seriously. I commented a long time ago, that the club could kill two birds with one stone. Working with the council, build or refurbish a new community football stadium somewhere in Wolverhampton, with a new permanent stand and changing facilities, and make this the new home for Wolves Women. Similar to the Commonwealth Games Stadium, add in temporary stands like those in the photos while Wolves temporarily use it while Molineux is rebuilt, and then remove them when we move back, leaving the new permanent stand for the Womens team with space to grow as/when needed.

I imagine there are sources of funding from the government and sports groups for such a facility alongside any contribution Wolves might make.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks and great photos. Based on that, I’ll change my mind on my earlier comment about this being a good option. However it maybe is now a more realistic option since Jeff seems to love his roofless temporary stands!

More seriously. I commented a long time ago, that the club could kill two birds with one stone. Working with the council, build or refurbish a new community football stadium somewhere in Wolverhampton, with a new permanent stand and changing facilities, and make this the new home for Wolves Women. Similar to the Commonwealth Games Stadium, add in temporary stands like those in the photos while Wolves temporarily use it while Molineux is rebuilt, and then remove them when we move back, leaving the new permanent stand for the Womens team with space to grow as/when needed.

I imagine there are sources of funding from the government and sports groups for such a facility alongside any contribution Wolves might make.
Cagliari in Italy have a temporary stadium that’s actually moved location three times!

I think it would be feasible to build four temporary stands for a 30k capacity for two seasons. It wouldn’t be great facilities wise, but would do the job. West Park would be ideal, but maybe the centre of Dunstall Park more likely. You could even add roofs like Fortuna Düsseldorf did.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cagliari in Italy have a temporary stadium that’s actually moved location three times!

I think it would be feasible to build four temporary stands for a 30k capacity for two seasons. It wouldn’t be great facilities wise, but would do the job. West Park would be ideal, but maybe the centre of Dunstall Park more likely. You could even add roofs like Fortuna Düsseldorf did.

If we had the ambition to rebuild and expand Molineux, then I think this would be the way to go. The cost of a temporary home would probably be more than covered by the savings made in simplifying and shortening the build, and accelerating the higher income stream from the rebuilt stadium. Trouble is, I just don’t see the appetite for it with Jeff and Fosun.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting article on Forest’s issues with rebuilding their main stand.

• The city initially wanted Forest to pay “any cost of the works” that may be required on both the Trent and Lady Bay bridges that sit either side of the City Ground after the two structures have been assessed by highways inspectors as part of a transport review. Those costs could conceivably have run into vast figures.
  • Forest were also asked, according to the same document, to make an “unspecified level of contribution” to a new footbridge that is being built further along the River Trent. Again, that would not have been a small amount, presumably, for a project that will run into millions of pounds.
  • The council wants to upgrade “all bus stops within a pedestrian isochrone (the area accessible from a given point inside a certain time period) of the site and within the city boundary” that can be used to take supporters to the ground. That is obviously going to be a lot of bus stops – and it was initially proposed that Forest should swallow up those costs if the planning application was approved.
  • The club had also been asked to pay for new cycle routes within “agreed distances” of the stadium, as well as upgrading the existing ones.
This is just a small part of it, however, if you also consider that Nottinghamshire County Council – yes, there are threedifferent councils involved in this – has previously indicated it has its own conditions and, among these, wants almost £700,000 towards schooling costs.

What do schools have to do with expanding the City Ground? This one takes a bit of explaining, but here goes.

Forest have submitted plans for an apartment block to be built alongside the new stand, consisting of a proposed 170 properties for more than 400 residents. The idea was that money from selling these apartments would help finance the overall project.

The county council estimate the apartment block’s residents will include 17 primary-school children and 13 of secondary-school age. And in June last year, it wrote to Rushcliffe council’s planning department to explain there was not enough classroom space in the area for those 30 kids. The county wanted £355,606 from Forest to go towards replacing an existing local primary school and £330,564 for building a new secondary school.

In addition, the county wanted annual payments of £70,000 towards a park-and-ride scheme, £40,000 for extra buses on the main A52 road into Nottingham from the east and west, £100,000 for public-transport ticket incentives (one example: reducing bus fares for match-goers) and £50,000 every year towards putting up electronic displays showing transport information.

Reaction score

• The city initially wanted Forest to pay “any cost of the works” that may be required on both the Trent and Lady Bay bridges that sit either side of the City Ground after the two structures have been assessed by highways inspectors as part of a transport review. Those costs could conceivably have run into vast figures.
  • Forest were also asked, according to the same document, to make an “unspecified level of contribution” to a new footbridge that is being built further along the River Trent. Again, that would not have been a small amount, presumably, for a project that will run into millions of pounds.
  • The council wants to upgrade “all bus stops within a pedestrian isochrone (the area accessible from a given point inside a certain time period) of the site and within the city boundary” that can be used to take supporters to the ground. That is obviously going to be a lot of bus stops – and it was initially proposed that Forest should swallow up those costs if the planning application was approved.
  • The club had also been asked to pay for new cycle routes within “agreed distances” of the stadium, as well as upgrading the existing ones.
This is just a small part of it, however, if you also consider that Nottinghamshire County Council – yes, there are threedifferent councils involved in this – has previously indicated it has its own conditions and, among these, wants almost £700,000 towards schooling costs.

What do schools have to do with expanding the City Ground? This one takes a bit of explaining, but here goes.

Forest have submitted plans for an apartment block to be built alongside the new stand, consisting of a proposed 170 properties for more than 400 residents. The idea was that money from selling these apartments would help finance the overall project.

The county council estimate the apartment block’s residents will include 17 primary-school children and 13 of secondary-school age. And in June last year, it wrote to Rushcliffe council’s planning department to explain there was not enough classroom space in the area for those 30 kids. The county wanted £355,606 from Forest to go towards replacing an existing local primary school and £330,564 for building a new secondary school.

In addition, the county wanted annual payments of £70,000 towards a park-and-ride scheme, £40,000 for extra buses on the main A52 road into Nottingham from the east and west, £100,000 for public-transport ticket incentives (one example: reducing bus fares for match-goers) and £50,000 every year towards putting up electronic displays showing transport information.
And don't forget, if they get promoted they're gonna need a bigger Hooters as well!!

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thanks and great photos. Based on that, I’ll change my mind on my earlier comment about this being a good option.

Agreed. I've been a big proponent of this option. But that was based on the combination of living in Glasgow -and seeing the quality investment and infrastructure for those games- and the City of Manchester Stadium. But this Birmingham version is just cheap and embarrassing.

So, why has nobody suggested we buy the Asda land back and do a Spurs...

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Im currently doing security at the smithfields site which will host beach volleyball and the basketball. The site looks like a bombs hit it syringes and rubbish and graffitti everywhere . Its going to be really embarrasing for birmingham. Will post pics after my next shift.

Reaction score
I put together the original proposal for the Commonwealth games back in 2007. It included a new stadium to be shared with Birmingham City FC, a new olympic sized swimming pool (Birmingham didn't have one) on the Aston University site and a hub and spoke model of Centre's of Excellence placed strategically around the City.

The aim was to host a World Asian games there every two years and set Birmingham up as the First City for Sport in the UK in collaboration with Sports England and the City's Universities.

Went as far as planning with Karren Brady and the Blues, even had a site identified, then the credit crunch of 2008 happened and Gold and Sullivan ****ed off to London!

From what I've seen/heard it's going to be a typical missed opportunity for the City and the West Midlands .

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is a very good and telling insight into the kind of challenges we would face expanding Molineux, and perhaps an indication of what the council may have told Fosun in informal discussions in the past. The comments about the bridges in particular are relevant for Wolves given that we already know the council believe better pedestrian access to the city centre will be a condition of any significant expansion. Many years ago, one of my mates used to work in a regional development office in Nottingham. I remember him talking about the expense of widening the M1 near Nottingham, and the horrific cost of building / rebuilding bridges. This explains why so much motorway “expansion” has been done “on the cheap” by leaving old bridges in place where ever possible, even if this meant stretches without a hard shoulder, or more recently, all lanes running.

So perhaps Fosun’s tactic, having decided to remain at Molineux, is to let others progress plans for Molineux Quarter, with its new pedestrian links to the city centre, and then Wolves will progress an expansion of Molineux without having to carry all of the burden of that link cost.

W

WasStefan

Is it a Labour council

Back
Top Bottom