Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nothing happening with ground unless forced by a stand actually falling down, time to close this thread unfortunately, generation of fans lost…
Tell me about it. I was stewarding in the north bank i decided to count how many under 12,s or what i perceived to be under 12,s who entered my section. It was 13 kids. Id say the biggest demographic that entered my section was 50+.

Maybe the 18-40,s are just priced out with young familys etc.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Can they give us our Feathers back then please?

I know this is fantasy football territory but I'd love to see, as part of a (equally fantastical at the moment) rebuild of the Steve Bull, this become the centrepiece of a 'fanzone'. The road next to it could be shifted to give a large area with a view of the new stand, with the trees there and Edwardian pub giving the area a nice feel with covered and heated bits.

It was bad enough losing the Wanderer/Fox but to lose both was negligent. I know pubs there were never going to do great weekday trade but I look at Villa with envy given what they did with the Holte.

RIP pubs by Molineux (the Hatherton is a pale imitation of the pub of the 90s); but here's a nice photo circa 1970-80? @reanswolf
View attachment 27108
The only people drinking at the Feathers outside of match day were 15 year olds. Served anyone to stay afloat

beppe7619

Reaction score
I realise they'd be working to a design brief and having a"house builder" as a client and his lackey Moxey making decisions must have been hard work but seriously there's some real ****-ups.

1. North Bank bar - went from a nice family social club with easy access, queuing system for the bar and food hatch to a funnel of a room with majority standing and a rugby scrum at the bar. But still they have exposed pipework eh?
2. Turnstiles - on entry you are faced with a bottleneck of a breeze block wall within 2ft, how does that help?
3. Concourse - not enough circulation space and not enough toilets to meet demand - hence the mass exodus before half time
4. Exits in the lower tier - not fit for purpose, would take 20 mins just to get to the vomitory, hence people leaving early. There's only one exit towards the front (there used to be three levels of exits but the corporate sets put paid to that) and there is none along the front row. So from the old NB to the new you lose two out of the three levels of exit.
5. Rake of the seats - sit with anyone over 6ft in front of you and the view is impeded.
6. Segregation - the way it works is the rows at the front feel cut off and as for those hideous concrete bunkers that segregate the disabled section.
7. The roof - here's hoping its only temporary until the Steve Bull is rebuilt, neither offers any protection from the elements nor does it do anything to retain the atmosphere.

How could they possibly be proud of that design?
The lift is only fit for an office block only holding 5 people at a time

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only people drinking at the Feathers outside of match day were 15 year olds. Served anyone to stay afloat
Someone did a survey a few years back and found that the average age of a football fan in the UK was 47, and it has been going up every year. Very soon they will be selling cocoa and have bingo as half time entertainment.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think after this season & last, I'd rather any money be used to fund the 1st team signings we need as opposed to the stadium to be honest.

T

TheConcourse

I’d be surprised if Fosun did anything significant with the ground. I can’t see how virtual events don’t become more immersive in the next decade. Will the next generation even want to go to live games?

Is it realistic to assume that if we hover around mid-table the club might struggle to capture existing demand from current season ticket holders?

Is the season ticket waiting list number a legitimate metric to validate growing the stadium?

Lots of consider, but I keep coming back to the same conclusion: it would be mental for Fosun to invest £ into the stadium right now. Too many risks, social and economic challenges playing out. Potential dead money.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if Fosun did anything significant with the ground. I can’t see how virtual events don’t become more immersive in the next decade. Will the next generation even want to go to live games?

Is it realistic to assume that if we hover around mid-table the club might struggle to capture existing demand from current season ticket holders?

Is the season ticket waiting list number a legitimate metric to validate growing the stadium?

Lots of consider, but I keep coming back to the same conclusion: it would be mental for Fosun to invest £ into the stadium right now. Too many risks, social and economic challenges playing out. Potential dead money.
I like you , think they will a big drop in demand, there is just no excitement for the money paid, then add in if we do score you have to wait for VAR to give the go-ahead, real danger of turning people off IMO, as it stands at the moment, I have had enough and I have had a season ticket for over 20 years on the trot, I am just so apathetic with it all, nothing to do with what division we are in, just dont feel valued, I used to look forward to games 5/6 days in advance, now it feels more like a chore.
As for the stadium, they are not and never were doing anything of real quality with it, look at the cheap crap temporary stand, embarrassing.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
I like you , think they will a big drop in demand, there is just no excitement for the money paid, then add in if we do score you have to wait for VAR to give the go-ahead, real danger of turning people off IMO, as it stands at the moment, I have had enough and I have had a season ticket for over 20 years on the trot, I am just so apathetic with it all, nothing to do with what division we are in, just dont feel valued, I used to look forward to games 5/6 days in advance, now it feels more like a chore.
As for the stadium, they are not and never were doing anything of real quality with it, look at the cheap crap temporary stand, embarrassing.
Agree with most of this and If you watch other PL games there seem to be more empty seats than ever. With the current financial squeeze on income, which is only going to get worse, this could have a big impact on attendances at most clubs.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Too many risks, yet Aston Villa are progressing Villa Park's capacity to over 50,000 and other stuff too.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me developing the ground isn’t really about lots of additional capacity, it’s about updating the facilities. Doing the Steve bull and enlarging the south bank doesn’t have to be an absolute fortune.

If north bank cost 18, then other two could probably be done for 60.
Ok wouldn’t be some monumental state of the art thing, but would be closer to the pitch better facilities, crucially better corporate and slightly increased capacity to 36-38k .

Then it would still leave the billy Wright to one day be done as the mega statement type of stand. A long long way into the future probably.

T

TheConcourse

Too many risks, yet Aston Villa are progressing Villa Park's capacity to over 50,000 and other stuff too.
Does that mean they’re right? Villa’s owners seem to think they can mix it with the elite.

Good luck to them.

From what I’ve seen so far their strategy looks basic. They won’t and can’t outspend the big boys.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Does that mean they’re right? Villa’s owners seem to think they can mix it with the elite.

Good luck to them.

From what I’ve seen so far their strategy looks basic. They won’t and can’t outspend the big boys.
True. Might go pear shaped. Let's see how Villa get on with their plans.
If they're successful, hopefully Wolves would follow suit and redevelop Molineux.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me developing the ground isn’t really about lots of additional capacity, it’s about updating the facilities. Doing the Steve bull and enlarging the south bank doesn’t have to be an absolute fortune.

If north bank cost 18, then other two could probably be done for 60.
Ok wouldn’t be some monumental state of the art thing, but would be closer to the pitch better facilities, crucially better corporate and slightly increased capacity to 36-38k .

Then it would still leave the billy Wright to one day be done as the mega statement type of stand. A long long way into the future probably.
It’s not just the construction cost that has to be factored in though, it’s the cost of the lost revenue and the disruption during the construction period.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
I appreciate Liverpool operate at a different level but they are spending another considerable amount expanding Anfield. Villa and Leeds also see merit in expansion. Living in Norfolk I've seen first hand the change in how more families and younger fans now travel to Spurs, West Ham and Arsenal.
Surely all these clubs aren't wrong.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not just the construction cost that has to be factored in though, it’s the cost of the lost revenue and the disruption during the construction period.
Understood, but that’s a hit you have to take weather it is done in 2 years time or 15.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

I understand your thinking, but I think you're wrong. In a world where (some) people have material possessions aplenty, what really sells is an experience. I don't believe anyone who has ever attended a live game would suggest that watching it on TV is a comparable experience, sadly we've all had ample chance to understand that.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I appreciate Liverpool operate at a different level but they are spending another considerable amount expanding Anfield. Villa and Leeds also see merit in expansion. Living in Norfolk I've seen first hand the change in how more families and younger fans now travel to Spurs, West Ham and Arsenal.
Surely all these clubs aren't wrong.
As you say Liverpool are a different level, they’re absolutely pitched to the Tourist fan and no matter what success we have I can’t see us being like that. People travel from abroad to Liverpool, Manchester and London clubs for both the football and of course to explore the city. No disrespect to Wolverhampton but what does it offer to someone from China but football? Not a great deal.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Everton are already cutting back on their stadium complex. Steel prices rocketing and lost big sponsorship deal with that Russian gangster

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton are already cutting back on their stadium complex. Steel prices rocketing and lost big sponsorship deal with that Russian gangster
I get the feeling the Everton ownership will soon give up tbh, especially as they could well go down this season they look absolutely woeful.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems to me as though the club are waiting for stable conditions to do any major changes to Molineux.

We've had the uncertainty of establishing ourselves in the Premier League, leaving the EU, Covid-19, a rise in the cost of living, and now war in Europe that has an impact on supply chains and the cost of goods across the global economy.

I don't know when we will have the stability I think the club desires.

It will be interesting to see how Everton get on with their new stadium development given their problems on and off the field.

It will also be interesting to see what percentage of season ticket holders renew in the summer with the increase in the cost of living. I think it's usually about 95% or thereabouts.

T

TheConcourse

I understand your thinking, but I think you're wrong. In a world where (some) people have material possessions aplenty, what really sells is an experience. I don't believe anyone who has ever attended a live game would suggest that watching it on TV is a comparable experience, sadly we've all had ample chance to understand that.
Yeah, I’m probably in a slightly different situation in that out “home games” are a 250 mile round trip. Honestly, there are times after games where you wonder whether the long journeys are worth it and whether you’d rather spend the time with the kids.

Fully expect the experience to change depending on where you’re based and how the whole day plays out.

Without the kids we used to get the train over, get really ****ed, have a cracking day and be able to suck up the hangover with a lie in and bad food - those days are definitely gone.

For what it’s worth I’d definitely still go to games, there’s a feeling you don’t get sat at home - like you say. But I would probably reduce the amount of games I went to if access was a little easier remotely.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I know this is fantasy football territory but I'd love to see, as part of a (equally fantastical at the moment) rebuild of the Steve Bull, this become the centrepiece of a 'fanzone'. The road next to it could be shifted to give a large area with a view of the new stand, with the trees there and Edwardian pub giving the area a nice feel with covered and heated bits.

It was bad enough losing the Wanderer/Fox but to lose both was negligent. I know pubs there were never going to do great weekday trade but I look at Villa with envy given what they did with the Holte.

RIP pubs by Molineux (the Hatherton is a pale imitation of the pub of the 90s); but here's a nice photo circa 1970-80? @reanswolf
View attachment 27108

My heart was broken wen they bulldozed down the Fox.It just ay got that feeling anymore. :tearsofjoy:

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I get the feeling the Everton ownership will soon give up tbh, especially as they could well go down this season they look absolutely woeful.
I think this could be one of the lowest points totals needed to stay up for years, so they might only need 4 more wins and a draw. 8 at Goodison, should get them 3 wins and they will surely turn up on the road once or twice.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this could be one of the lowest points totals needed to stay up for years, so they might only need 4 more wins and a draw. 8 at Goodison, should get them 3 wins and they will surely turn up on the road once or twice.
They will hammer us

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 27108
Oh man to be fair, I used to love going into feathers, quick pint and a dash over to the South Bank.

I will agree that not going to Molineux hasn't be hard at all, in reality, clouded by nostalgia, hasn't felt the same in while.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone did a survey a few years back and found that the average age of a football fan in the UK was 47, and it has been going up every year. Very soon they will be selling cocoa and have bingo as half time entertainment.
Mentioned before but kids are either priced out or just have little interest in the game, similiar to the parents to be fair, as mentioned I'm in my 30s but to take my daughter to Molineux is £200+, it's just not happening.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mentioned before but kids are either priced out or just have little interest in the game, similiar to the parents to be fair, as mentioned I'm in my 30s but to take my daughter to Molineux is £200+, it's just not happening.
Sad, and an indictment of the short-term approach to the detriment of the long-term health of the club/football.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
Access to tickets is also an issue. Not easy getting groups of tickets together. We've created a reasonably closed shop and it's quite right loyalty is rewarded.
A situation the club emjoy as they can charge a premium, whether this can last remains to be seen.
On a personal note I will need to make a difficult decisions about continuing with away matches next year. Which in itself is frustrating as some are easier than travelling to home games.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't find that at all and that is saying this as a poor pensioner for a game @ Molineux..
Me Mrs Jay and our daughter and 2 grandsons paid just £58 total for 5 tickets.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't find that at all and that is saying this as a poor pensioner for a game @ Molineux..
Think he was including travel as well?

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Did you arrive by tardis, and take your own sandwiches in with you.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Typical Dipper jizzfest commentary on BTsport.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's been some talk today about Old Trafford being refurbished. Some saying a complete rebuild, but I can't see that happening.

It made me think though, if it was completely rebuilt, what kind of capacity would they have? More than than Wembley?

Back
Top Bottom