Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

SIGNED: Matheus Cunha (Athletico Madrid)

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A number 9 he is not, that's blatantly obvious. However, he simply has to show more. When he was in possession today his touch was loose and was wasteful. Needs to play off a striker, problem is our two other striker options simply aren't good enough either.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can think of 43 million reasons why
Well yeah but price is irrelevant really in terms of the short term and how we judge them.

It's all about surviving and we need them two to contribute quickly and both are concerning right now IMO but giving Cunha slightly more leeway because I think he should play off a striker.

Agree when you take the price into consideration that Cunha is a major worry as looks nowhere near that level but we just need to stay up.

W

WasStefan

Well yeah but price is irrelevant really in terms of the short term and how we judge them.

It's all about surviving and we need them two to contribute quickly and both are concerning right now IMO but giving Cunha slightly more leeway because I think he should play off a striker.

Agree when you take the price into consideration that Cunha is a major worry as looks nowhere near that level but we just need to stay up.
Its absolutely relevant

Cunha is paid to score goals. He isnt doing it

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Play him in a front two or coming in from the left. He’s not a 9, that’s as clear as day.

I loved his enthusiasm and the lift he gave everybody when he came but I want to start seeing something more from him now.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said before about Nunes I see him play well in 1 in 4 games .
Matheus Nunes is a big problem for us. His mistake led to their goal. He looks like a slightly better Guedes, also lacking physicality and accuracy.
However, you can see his potential
Let's see if he can fight and not just wait to go to Liverpool.
Cuhna had not been great yet either. But different

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The worry for me is that Lop wanted Cunha. I've no idea what he is.

I don't know what the answer is, but we have got to stop spending so much money on these players who will never ever ever be suited to such a physical league. Add in Guedes and Nunes and the spend looks very silly tbh.

Despite being an experienced World class manager Lopetegui is new to the Premier league so has probably been caught out with the intensity/ physicality as well ..... he obviously rates Cunha and Sarabia they are both proven quality players but are they suited to this league? and would Julen have been so keen to sign them?...time will tell.

Many of us have said signing a proven striker has been a priority..... thats still the case because Cunha certainly isnt that.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People keep telling me service doesn’t matter. Strikers have to create things out of nothing, apparently.

He’s a good little player, but our pathetic band of uselessness (in an attacking sense) behind me give him nothing.

How many strikers do we have to burn through to realise it’s the supply?

Really cant understand why we arent trying 4-2-3-1 more. Lemina is back next weekend. Play him as a two with Neves and play a no10 who can attack like Sarabia or Podence and not a 36 year old defensive central midfield player as an attacking midfield player.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As do Sarabia and Nunes ( who is the biggest disappointment).

Cunha, Sarabia, Nunes, Costa, Raul. We need to see significant improvements in all of them as I am seeing not a lot at present. Moutinho cant be playing as an attacking midfield player either.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Really cant understand why we arent trying 4-2-3-1 more. Lemina is back next weekend. Play him as a two with Neves and play a no10 who can attack like Sarabia or Podence and not a 36 year old defensive central midfield player as an attacking midfield player.
JL has to stop starting Moutinho, it's enough now. Slows us down and once the play has easily passed him we are down to 10 men. To come on after 60 if the state of the game dictates it, no problem.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha, Sarabia, Nunes, Costa, Raul. We need to see significant improvements in all of them as I am seeing not a lot at present. Moutinho cant be playing as an attacking midfield player either.

Personally I'd start Costa...... yes I know just like our other forwards he doesnt score but I feel we need a real #9 as the focal point.

I'd start him as a '9' in a 4-2-3-1 , rather than playing Cunha as a false '9' in a 4-3-3.

.............. Sa............

Semedo, Dawson, Kilman, Bueno ( for his crossing ability)

....................Neves.....Lemina.............

Adama..............Cunha/Sarabia..........Neto

...................................Costa..........................

I don't think Nunes deserves a start on current form.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha is not an out and out centre forward
He doesn’t even look like Scoring
Great chance at the near post in the second half from a Traore cross that he should have scored
A couple of times he should have shot but didn’t and once he should have rolled the ball to Traore inside the box who was unmarked and would have had a clear shot on goal
His decision making in front of goal seems to be very poor
That said I believe he could be a very good number 10, but definitely not up front as a focal point

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Goals and assists from our signings since last summer.

Collins - 0
Guedes - 2 goals - 1 assist
Nunes -0 goals -1 assist
Traore - 1 goal - 1 assist

Cunha - 0 goals - 1 assist
Lemina - 0
Sarabia - 0
Dawson - 1 goal
Bentley -N/A
Gomes - 1 goal.

Source; BBC Sport.

We binned-off Guedes because he was not contributing enough and probably not suited to the Premier League, yet he contributed more than Nunes. Traore has been injured and Collins main job is to stop goals, although Dawson contributes at both ends of the field!
Of course, it's early days for the January signings, but because of the situation that we found ourselves in, we didn't really have time for players like Cunha and Sarabia to ease into the English game. Just have to hope that they all find their feet sooner, rather than later.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This may be a crazy opinion, but isn’t the aim of the game to get the ball into your opponents net? That seems a fairly easy concept to understand
Because so many on here value the tingly feeling they get or the urge to get off their seat for the nothing to happen for the 99th time in 100 as highly as a goal or assist when reviewing players output.

Not a shot at adama, who is playing well and some of his balls (been far better, threatening and consistent)the last few weeks with a competent striker could have led to a good chance.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Goals and assists from our signings since last summer.

Collins - 0
Guedes - 2 goals - 1 assist
Nunes -0 goals -1 assist
Traore - 1 goal - 1 assist

Cunha - 0 goals - 1 assist
Lemina - 0
Sarabia - 0
Dawson - 1 goal
Bentley -N/A
Gomes - 1 goal.

Source; BBC Sport.

We binned-off Guedes because he was not contributing enough and probably not suited to the Premier League, yet he contributed more than Nunes. Traore has been injured and Collins main job is to stop goals, although Dawson contributes at both ends of the field!
Of course, it's early days for the January signings, but because of the situation that we found ourselves in, we didn't really have time for players like Cunha and Sarabia to ease into the English game. Just have to hope that they all find their feet sooner, rather than later.

Just says it all really. Lack of goals from new signings since the summer and throughout the squad is causing huge issues and will be our undoing if we arent careful.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think he'll be much better with Fabio and Sasa in front of him next season, assuming we stay up.
Not sure about Fabio and Sasa being the answers to our goalscoring problem if we stay up. Fabio can't get a start in the Dutch league, and Sasa can't stay healthy, plus look what two ACL's did to Jonny.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
@SingYourHeartsOut What's funny about what I said? You're free to a different opinion, but I'd like to hear it.
Well, I live in hope, but if we're waiting for a game where Cunha starts with Fabio and Sasa before we see the best of him, then I fear we might have a very long wait.

For my money Lopetegui doesn't see enough in Fabio yet (or he'd have got him back), but I hope he might come good, and is maybe part of the reason we didn't buy a 9.
Sasa was a desperate late Lage buy. He might be a useful alternative at times, but I doubt he'll start even if it does turn out that he's not made of glass, which sadly (and I wish him all the best) seems likely.
Then I've got to wonder if we did somehow start with a Sasa/Fabio front two, how would Cunha fit in playing behind them?
Just my opinion obviously, but for my money it'll never happen.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want to see him and Sarabia playing off a real striker, have Adama,Nunes or Podence as the other attacker.
Agree. Play four attacking players with a focal point in Costa and not moutinho as a no10. Lemina and Neves as a two in central midfield.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally l am pleased that JL, Hobbs et al are in charge of our recruitment and you are nowhere near it!
So you’re happy we’ve completely wasted over £100m ? Some of which could and should have gone on a striker ?
Glad you don’t do my shopping lol

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves seem to have a habit of rather than building a team around getting the best out of the big money signings we shoehorn them into the side and as a result we don't see the best of said player. He isn't a sole central striker he needs someone who can hold the ball up and he can play off of to be most effective similar to Jota who needed Raul. Likewise Cunha's best performances came when he was up top with Raul towards the end of his first few games.

Front four of a 4231

Costa
Podence - Cunha - Sarabia

Raul
Neto - Hwang - Adama

or 433

Cunha - Costa - Sarabia
Podence - Raul - Adama

Thats what I would be looking to do to get the best out of him, right now we are doing exactly what Lage did to Nunes for the first half of the season and wondering why he isn't getting heavily involved during games.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you’re happy we’ve completely wasted over £100m ? Some of which could and should have gone on a striker ?
Glad you don’t do my shopping lol
Very simply l di not agree with your assumption is that Wolves (it's not either my or your money) have "completely wasted over £100m".

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about Fabio and Sasa being the answers to our goalscoring problem if we stay up. Fabio can't get a start in the Dutch league, and Sasa can't stay healthy, plus look what two ACL's did to Jonny.
I'm not sure they are either. But I just used their names because they're actual strikers.

Back
Top Bottom