Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

SIGNED: Matheus Cunha (Athletico Madrid)

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A goal scorer or a mix of goal scorers is the only thing that will keep us up imo. Cunha's record does not inspire confidence, certainly in me, that he can 10-15 goals in the rest of the season. Of course, Lopetegui may be able to get something out of Jimenez and Costa and get some goals out of the other forward players and mfs; again at this time I'm just not confident this will happen. I remember Ballague's comment that the one thing Lopetegui does is makes players better. He really needs to make all our players better (bar Neves) if we are to retain our Prem status.
Look at his goals per minutes stats rather than his goals per game. Much wider picture.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seen several reports on price for Cunha ranging from £20 mil to £40 mil so guessing its somewhere between the two
Its another one of those,it may be great it may be a disaster,but if JL rates him im in
We will need Costa and/or Raul to get scoring even if this guy comes here,hes more a play maker than goal taker

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Goals per minute. This sounds a lot like your Fabio argument. He didn't score many either.
Well for someone who spends most his time on the bench isn’t that a more accurate way to analyse it? If he comes on with 10 minutes to play he’s less likely to score over 90. Im sure even you can work that out

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Irrelevant! You can tell its not your money. I would be amazed if Fosun can find that muc, but if they can it needs to be spent wisely.

Ifs not even like he is a proven goalscorer. He would help for sure, but Cunha is not going to save us on his own. We ckniw we can't rely on Costa, Gued3s and Hwang to get goals.

Getting seriously worried that we are going to waste another £50m and not address the real problem
My point "irrelevant " we are flirting with relegation " we need spend whatever it takes to give Julen the players he requires to do the job. Relegation could potentially set us back years.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My point "irrelevant " we are flirting with relegation " we need spend whatever it takes to give Julen the players he requires to do the job. Relegation could potentially set us back years.
I take your point, we can't afford to go down. But the price isn't irrelevant. Unlike the Tories we can't print money.

My point is that if we have a limited budget then I would prefer that we spend it on a striker who can score goals.

Everton are in a similar position and the article below says the same thing about Cunha.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I take your point, we can't afford to go down. But the price isn't irrelevant. Unlike the Tories we can't print money.

My point is that if we have a limited budget then I would prefer that we spend it on a striker who can score goals.

Everton are in a similar position and the article below says the same thing about Cunha.

This article by David Ornstein is pretty depressing reading tbh. I'd rather take his view of Cuhna than SBKs who says in his last post 'he spends most of his time on the bench'. If he was scoring he wouldn't be on the bench! SBK bangs on about his goals per minutes ratio but does not say what that is? As far as I'm concerned he's been involved in 17 games this season without finding the net once. If he was coming for say £5 -£10 mil ok take the risk but he does not look like the guy that can get us the goals to keep us up. There have to be better out there for this money.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This article by David Ornstein is pretty depressing reading tbh. I'd rather take his view of Cuhna than SBKs who says in his last post 'he spends most of his time on the bench'. If he was scoring he wouldn't be on the bench! SBK bangs on about his goals per minutes ratio but does not say what that is? As far as I'm concerned he's been involved in 17 games this season without finding the net once. If he was coming for say £5 -£10 mil ok take the risk but he does not look like the guy that can get us the goals to keep us up. There have to be better out there for this money.
Like who....as you seem to know more than lopetugui........just interested........

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
My initial reaction was 'if he's on the bench he can't be that good' anyway. Then I engaged my mind and remembered he's competing for a place with Griezmann, Felix, Correa and Morata....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not here to be google for you. You can find his goal per minute ratio in 30 seconds.

Why is he on the bench? I take it you watch absolutely zero football apart from wolves? He’s behind 3 players that cost £250 million.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe we should sign Morata or Griezmann or Joao Felix. Or suarez. They all score goals for Atletico and Cunha apparently isn't good enough for us. We need proven goalscorers. Double figures in Germany isn't enough.

**** it we want proven goalscorers...let's get Messi, Lewandowski and Mbappe. Benzema. Haaland, Salah and Mane.
Stop ****ing around with atletico madrid's reserves and get the real deal.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe we should sign Morata or Griezmann or Joao Felix. Or suarez. They all score goals for Atletico and Cunha apparently isn't good enough for us. We need proven goalscorers. Double figures in Germany isn't enough.

**** it we want proven goalscorers...let's get Messi, Lewandowski and Mbappe. Benzema. Haaland, Salah and Mane.
Nah NorthNorfolkWolf will have a look at his extensive list of players and recommend accordingly. He’s probably going to say Clive Allen or Tony Cottee though

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We're not ****ing around; this guy will cost about £40 mil. We've already splashed £35 mil on a striker who we've loaned out! As I said above imv there must be better options out there for £40 mil other than an Atletico reserve?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're not ****ing around; this guy will cost about £40 mil. We've already splashed £35 mil on a striker who we've loaned out! As I said above imv there must be better options out there for £40 mil other than an Atletico reserve?
A reserve behind 3 world class forwards. You’re making out like he’s a league one footballer when he’s highly sought after.

Who should we be signing then?

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lopetegui thinks Cunha can knit together our forwards, then I am all for him. Doesn’t scream 10+ goals judging on record alone.. but that doesn’t mean he won’t help solve our goal scoring issues.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Atletico reserve!!!!!.... they are on a different stratosphere to us on the football pitch.....Jota had never kicked a ball for them before we signed him....

Arsenal are interested in cunha as well......but he clearly isn't good enough for us ....

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We signed a backup striker from Benfica and he was excellent.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Name one striker we could get then.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at a rejuvenated 36 year old Giroud being so crucial for Milan and France, together with Costa’s improving fitness, makes me think he could be dangerous and beyond this season too.

He was starting to look it v Brentford
The difference is mate ,Giroud has mbappe , Griezmann and Dembele firing the bullets,
We have podence , adama , hwang .

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score

I've just spent 2 mins having a look and there was only 1 striker signed by a Premier League team for less than £10m this summer. Guess how many goals he's scored? I'll give you a clue - it's somewhere between zero and **** all.

You just can't sign strikers for that kind of money any more - Brighton paid £12m for an 18-year old from Paraguay who had played a grand total of 17 games in his career. There is no chance that a 23-year old Brazilian international, who has made over 150 appearances for Bundesliga and La Liga teams, would ever be available for £5-10m.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we have to remember we are shopping in January for one of the most sought after positions in football and that’s in the summer window, expecting a great deal in January when our striking woes are common knowledge at this point is unrealistic. The only way you get round it is buying someone who isn’t proven, and therefore not really on anyone’s radar, but then the club will get pelters for not buying ready made quality for the premier league. So really we are left with overpaying on someone who has potential suitors because they have quality and can score goals when playing, which is where we are with Cunha

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I've just spent 2 mins having a look and there was only 1 striker signed by a Premier League team for less than £10m this summer. Guess how many goals he's scored? I'll give you a clue - it's somewhere between zero and **** all.

You just can't sign strikers for that kind of money any more - Brighton paid £12m for an 18-year old from Paraguay who had played a grand total of 17 games in his career. There is no chance that a 23-year old Brazilian international, who has made over 150 appearances for Bundesliga and La Liga teams, would ever be available for £5-10m.
We could always:
Offer £10m
Get rejected
Push our offer up to £15
Get rejected again
Say he just didn't want to come to Wolves no matter what we offered.
Make a deadline day offer to sign a big donkey from the Champ
Fail again
Say it's very difficult to sign players in January.

What's wrong with the tried and trusted methods?

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think we have to remember we are shopping in January for one of the most sought after positions in football and that’s in the summer window, expecting a great deal in January when our striking woes are common knowledge at this point is unrealistic. The only way you get round it is buying someone who isn’t proven, and therefore not really on anyone’s radar, but then the club will get pelters for not buying ready made quality for the premier league. So really we are left with overpaying on someone who has potential suitors because they have quality and can score goals when playing, which is where we are with Cunha

Which is where the Mendes carousel kicks into play.

Atletico need cash and we have it.

Reaction score

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
... This from the bloke who gets most of his info from whatever airline's in-flight magazine he happens to be currently reading.

#moreholidaysthanjudithchalmers
It doesn't really matter where he is when his entire input seems to be regurgitating tweets from a handful of journos that most people who want to know follow first hand anyway.

Back
Top Bottom