Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sheff Utd verdict

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done to Bruno recognizing that Marcal at CB wasn't cutting it and making the switch.
The commentator on my stream said that Marcal was injured. Deserved to be subbed anyway, injury or no. Was carrying the ball too far forward too often, leaving RAN exposed and the back 3 disjointed. Nothing that can't be fixed tho'.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
So pleased for Fabio today, I’m willing the kid to come good. Things seem to happen when he’s on the pitch.
It could quite easily have been a 6-3 score line if it wasn’t for poor finishing and good goalkeeping but I’m more than happy with 3-0
Bring on Norwich in round 4, it’s a good tie considering Man City were still in the pot.
Podence MOM.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence and Silva were terrific. I love watching Podence play when he's on it. Traore v poor

R

reanswolf

MOTM Podence was on fire, his balance and creativity were top notch today, our 2nd goal was created because of him, and then Ait Nouri played a perfect pass and a lovely finish from Nelson. Fabio superb too. 2 lovely finishes from Daniel. Neves pulling the strings as usual. But all were excellent.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enjoyed that today. Sheff Utd gave us some problems and I think we missed Saiss. Having said that Kilman is superb and I thought Donck slotted in better than Marcal did.

Semedo, RAN, Fabio, Kilman, Podence were all excellent. Neves good but he is nearly always good or excellent.

Trincao looked good when he came on.

Really enjoyed the little cameo by Cundle at the end. He looks a real prospect to me.

Onto the next round and very happy with that.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good result but I think the score line flatters us. SU could have had 3 before we scored our first!
From that point on we did well but SU still had chances.
Podence, Neves, Kilman, Silva, Semedo, Moutinho, RAN all fantastic. Probably Silva’s best game for Wolves and loved the attempted chip over their GK.
Marcal I thought did well at LCB and very comfortable bringing the ball out of defence; made one mistake just before half time but otherwise I am happy with him there. I assume the substitution was pre-planned to give both Marcal and Dendonker a half at CB.
Must admit I still don’t rate Dendonker - had to keep reminding myself he was on the pitch in the first half as I don’t think he did anything at all.Possibly better as reserve CB unless put under pressure but not in the first 11 for me.
Happy with Norwich in the next round.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we were sloppy for much of the game, starting with RAN almost gifting Sheffield a goal after about 10 seconds. Not nearly as proficient as against Yernited, but with the rejigged back 3 and 5 new faces, why should we be! We scored 3 goals for the first time since the war against a limited Sheffield side and one or two of the fringe players got a run-out as well as Cundle making his debut and Jordao his comeback. They say a sign of a good side is winning when not playing well and this we did as well as progressing in th'cup.
All-in-all, a job well done, even though we can play better.

Ratings;

Ruddy - 7- Not a tremendous work load, but did what he had to reasonably well.
Kilman - 7 - Did fine, even allowing for the change from right to left at HT.
Coady - 7 - Never really tested.
Marcal - 7 - Unlike some of the comments I've seen, I thought he did OK, playing out of his usual position and having to cover for RAN.
RAN - 6 - Awful first half, better second culminating in a fantastic run to set up Semedo.
Semedo - 7 - Scored his first of the season when he made a Dohertyesque run and finish.
Neves - 7 - Passing was askew for most of the game. Worked as hard as ever, though.
Dendoncker - 7 - Did his job, both in midfield and when called upon to help the back 3 after Marcal went off.
Traore - 5 - Not at the races and his match will be remembered for another miss when played through by Silva.
Silva - 7.5 - Good first half when he assisted Pod, set-up Traore and might/should have scored with only the keeper to beat. Faded after HT.
Podence - 8 - Never stopped running, scored a couple and was a handful all afternoon, even if he did try too many fancy flicks.

Subs;

Moutinho - 7 - Came on at HT in a re-jugged side and helped restore order to the middle.
Trincao - 5 - For Traore but was equally ineffective.
Jimenez - 6 - For Silva and harassed the Utd keeper into a mistake setting up Pod for his second.
Jordao - N/A - Great to see him back after injury
Cundle - N/A - Debut match. My wife thinks he has a funny shaped head!!!

Bruno - said he would take the cup seriously and put out a strong side and he lived-up to his words. Rewarded with a good win and a home draw to hopefully proceed further.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the opening bit where Blades showed some intent, we really never had to get out of 2nd gear in a really productive afternoon.

Podence's finishing is simply superb (as he showed v Spurs in Sep) and the reception for Fabio, says a great deal about both how highly rated he is and the way he is really beginning to shine.

Also the 2nd goal was blisteringly good! Simply brilliant that is was Wing Back to Wing Back and there never looked an ounce of doubt, once it found Nelson's boot.

Finally Conor and Max did their job nicely as usual; slight shame that Dion Sanderson didn't get a debut, whilst Cundle did and Jordao returned.

And as many have said: Bruno taking the Cup seriously, means we are undoubtedly contenders and if we think the same v Norwich and play the same, the Last 16 should in sight!

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
Thought we were sloppy for much of the game, starting with RAN almost gifting Sheffield a goal after about 10 seconds. Not nearly as proficient as against Yernited, but with the rejigged back 3 and 5 new faces, why should we be! We scored 3 goals for the first time since the war against a limited Sheffield side and one or two of the fringe players got a run-out as well as Cundle making his debut and Jordao his comeback. They say a sign of a good side is winning when not playing well and this we did as well as progressing in th'cup.
All-in-all, a job well done, even though we can play better.

Ratings;

Ruddy - 7- Not a tremendous work load, but did what he had to reasonably well.
Kilman - 7 - Did fine, even allowing for the change from right to left at HT.
Coady - 7 - Never really tested.
Marcal - 7 - Unlike some of the comments I've seen, I thought he did OK, playing out of his usual position and having to cover for RAN.
RAN - 6 - Awful first half, better second culminating in a fantastic run to set up Semedo.
Semedo - 7 - Scored his first of the season when he made a Dohertyesque run and finish.
Neves - 7 - Passing was askew for most of the game. Worked as hard as ever, though.
Dendoncker - 7 - Did his job, both in midfield and when called upon to help the back 3 after Marcal went off.
Traore - 5 - Not at the races and his match will be remembered for another miss when played through by Silva.
Silva - 7.5 - Good first half when he assisted Pod, set-up Traore and might/should have scored with only the keeper to beat. Faded after HT.
Podence - 8 - Never stopped running, scored a couple and was a handful all afternoon, even if he did try too many fancy flicks.

Subs;

Moutinho - 7 - Came on at HT in a re-jugged side and helped restore order to the middle.
Trincao - 5 - For Traore but was equally ineffective.
Jimenez - 6 - For Silva and harassed the Utd keeper into a mistake setting up Pod for his second.
Jordao - N/A - Great to see him back after injury
Cundle - N/A - Debut match. My wife thinks he has a funny shaped head!!!

Bruno - said he would take the cup seriously and put out a strong side and he lived-up to his words. Rewarded with a good win and a home draw to hopefully proceed further.
I cannot agree with your view of winning when not playing well. I thought we were superb and everyone apart from Traore and maybe Marcal were right at it with some very good performances. If that is not playing well then I give up!!!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well after a couple of early (mostly self inflicted scares), that was a pretty comfortable passage through to the next round. A stronger side than I thought we'd see but one that seemed to be experimenting with the defence we could well have for the next month, if it was a job interview - I doubt Marçal will be starting at LCB any time soon.

But we played well enough, plenty of good moments going forward and thoroughly deserved the win. Podence MOM, Silva excellent in the first half, Ait-Nouri terrible first half but did better as the game wore on and a super ball across for Semedo (who absolutely bust a gut to get into position) for the crucial second goal. Minutes for Cundle and Jordao, and a mazy run from Trincao that ended with an absolute spoon foot of a shot!

What's not to like?!

Might be targeting a run judging by the team selection and Norwich at home next... we could be involved in the business end of this cup

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Good game. Fair play to Sheff Utd they gave it a good go and possibly a bit unlucky at times.

Still thought we could have upped a gear if need be. Clean sheet and 3 goals couldn't ask anymore on my birthday :)
Happy birthday

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Enjoyed the match, Pod, Fabio, Semedo were excellent, Coady, Kilman and Neves normal solid performances, Moutinho and Raul made us a bit more solid.
Nice little cameos by Cundle and Jordao, Cundle especially.
Marcal and Donk were poor, don't think it was a coincidence RAN improved once Kilman went to that side. Donk was slightly better at CB than he was at CM but for all the game he looked like he was running in treacle (more than usual) and the turning circle of a tanker.
Traore......oh Adama, I'm no hater and in the past have been ok accepting his deficiencies to accommodate his moments of genius. Today he seemed to lack interest, no workmate, his usual ball watching and poor on the ball. We need to sell him I think.
Special mention for Silva, the kids had pelters and rightly so in some instances but today and in his little cameo on Monday he showed hunger, determination and skill. Audacious goal attempt, assist and a lot to like. He looks half a yard quicker and so much stronger. Held the ball up a couple of times under 'robust challenges from Blades big defenders. Not going over the tip but he deserves more minutes now.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Oh and on Semedo...chuffed for the lad, I've been happy with his defending and general play this season but have questioned his self confidence going forward but that run for his goal, lung busting, flat out sprint from halfway inside his own half and composed finish to RAN fabulous pass. He definitely wanted the ball and only one thing on his mind

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does beg the question why we need so many signings in January according to the experts on here?

Personally, steer clear and let Bruno do his job with what we have already!
As long as we don’t get injuries/ illness

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope wolves release videos of the goals from every angle like they used to. Why did they stop….a lack of goals?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching that second goal again, you can’t underestimate the brilliance of that turn by Podence.

It sent the Sheffield United team chasing the wrong way across the field and completely opened up the other side of the pitch to allow the ball over the top.

Class.
It was beautiful. Great to see that quality play from a Wolves player for a change instead of the big 6 highlights.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching that second goal again, you can’t underestimate the brilliance of that turn by Podence.

It sent the Sheffield United team chasing the wrong way across the field and completely opened up the other side of the pitch to allow the ball over the top.

Class.
AGREED!
And then the ball he played down the left for RAN :hearteyes:

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does beg the question why we need so many signings in January according to the experts on here?

Personally, steer clear and let Bruno do his job with what we have already!
Uh ho, now you're in trouble. :grimacing:

bully9

Reaction score
Overall good performance,tightened up at the back after half time,some lovely football at times
Podence MOTM for me, closely followed by Fabio and Semedo
Be nice to get an easy home tie next,but you know it will be Chelsea away lol
With our 1st team playing we can play anyone and give them a good game WolvesAye We

Back
Top Bottom