Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ryan Giles

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We hardly ever cross the ball, even on the odd occasion where there is more than one player in the box and it really wees me off.
I know. I think we live in an age where we over-complicate things; football is no exception. I think it is basically a very simple game but gets over-complicated by tactics, formations, statistics, graphs etc etc. If you are in a position to cross the ball, like Giles is in those vids, get the ****ing ball over. We fanny about, trying to pass to one another, and usually end up going back to the HW line! Putting a ball into the middle, like shooting on sight, will always give you a chance. We don't give ourselves that chance by rarely crossing or rarely shooting.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A Semedo/Bueno full-back pairing might not be quite as disastrous as you fear. Since JL arrived these two have started together in 11 Premier League games. The team has conceded 3 or more in just 3 of those games. at Man City, Brighton and Arsenal. Both players were bad in the Brighton and Arsenal disasters but they were essentially awful team performances. In the other 8 games in which they both started we have conceded just 6 goals (I've not included Man Utd's late goal at Molineux as they'd been replaced by Jonny/Toti by then).

I'm not suggesting that the Semedo/Bueno partnership is ideal by any stretch of the imagination but I thought it might be useful to throw a few stats into the discussion.
Context is fair, but two 6-0 drubbings for me is enough...

Regardless, I think we should be looking to upgrade Semedo regardless of what formation we play.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In Kilman I currently see a player lacking in confidence, not ability. Casual looks fine when it comes off....
The issue with Kilman is that he can’t play without a talker/leader alongside him. When Dawson is injured/suspended next season there’s an argument to drop him for those games too and play Toti left side instead.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a mate of mine who's a big Boro fan:

Rumour has it that Wolves want to have a decent look at him in preseason. Ended up joint 2nd with assists in the championship and only missed the top by 1 behind Jack Clarke. So going forward isn't a problem... defensively he's not great and that's his biggest problem for a Premier League side. He's probably cost us 12 very expensive points this year and that's just under Carrick...he was awful under Wilder.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a mate of mine who's a big Boro fan:

Rumour has it that Wolves want to have a decent look at him in preseason. Ended up joint 2nd with assists in the championship and only missed the top by 1 behind Jack Clarke. So going forward isn't a problem... defensively he's not great and that's his biggest problem for a Premier League side. He's probably cost us 12 very expensive points this year and that's just under Carrick...he was awful under Wilder.
That's what people don't get. If he plays for wolves in the premier league 80% of his game will be about defensive work, unless he plays left wing ...

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's what people don't get. If he plays for wolves in the premier league 80% of his game will be about defensive work, unless he plays left wing ...

I want him to stay, I get it though. I've never thought he was a LB, maybe with some development he could be but certainly not yet. But would like to see him given a chance if we stick with this 442, he at least has end product!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want him to stay, I get it though. I've never thought he was a LB, maybe with some development he could be but certainly not yet. But would like to see him given a chance if we stick with this 442, he at least has end product!
Yes I agree...never ruled him out...just think he might be better left wing ......left back we need a defender firstly.

That's why toti has got the nod over Bueno .

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know. I think we live in an age where we over-complicate things; football is no exception. I think it is basically a very simple game but gets over-complicated by tactics, formations, statistics, graphs etc etc. If you are in a position to cross the ball, like Giles is in those vids, get the ****ing ball over. We fanny about, trying to pass to one another, and usually end up going back to the HW line! Putting a ball into the middle, like shooting on sight, will always give you a chance. We don't give ourselves that chance by rarely crossing or rarely shooting.
Absolutely correct! Stats are all very well but it is a simple game overcomplicated by loads of nonsense!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Welcome back to the 1930s and HOOF! Are you the anti-Pep???

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd model him into a flat out winger. His crossing is brilliant. No point trying to make him a wing back when he can't defend
I agree. Remember seeing him for us against Walsall in pre-season a few years ago and was impressed with his direct running, pace and ability to deliver quality crosses on the run. Would have no hesitations trying him further forward - if he wasn't a Wolves player but we were linked with him I think there would be even more clamour

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. Remember seeing him for us against Walsall in pre-season a few years ago and was impressed with his direct running, pace and ability to deliver quality crosses on the run. Would have no hesitations trying him further forward - if he wasn't a Wolves player but we were linked with him I think there would be even more clamour
Spot on with that last sentence dude

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suggested that we play both Bueno and RAN on the left side in a 4-4-2, with one of them operating on the LW/ LM, but also doubling up defensively if necessary. Could be the same for Bueno and Giles or RAN and Giles, with Neto being sold?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suggested that we play both Bueno and RAN on the left side in a 4-4-2, with one of them operating on the LW/ LM, but also doubling up defensively if necessary. Could be the same for Bueno and Giles or RAN and Giles, with Neto being sold?
Definitely a possibility.
It was rumoured somewhere that RAN actually wants to play more as a forward, he’s plenty young enough to change position... could actually even be coached to play right wing in a 442!... crossings not really his thing anyway.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep, I could see that too. In this scenario, they bring different skills. Giles stronger hugging the line and crossing, and Bueno or RAN stronger for coming inside, challenging defenders and shooting.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Works fine up to what? Playoff zone of the Championship? Not sure it even gets that high these days. You're describing football that no succesful team of significance has played for decades now. I dont' think we overcomplicate things. I think our players just aren't all that good. Can't beat a defender ,cant play a crucial pass under pressure. Can't cross. Can't win headers. That's what they dont cross.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the 3rd time on this thread Ryan has been coached on Left Back skills and. v Cov was excellent down the entire left flank. Uncomplicated first time passing & combination play. MOTM for me

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
I’ve seen him play for us in the u21s and always stood out as one of our best players. This guy is fast and direct. He deliveries a cracking cross. He deserves a chance. If he doesn’t impress then sell him. Nothing to lose. He will still be worth the same as he does 6 or 12 months down the line. But my feeling is that he will come good.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent article on Giles in the Athletic. Basically, it’s time for Wolves to make a decision. He’s top tier in the Championship for assists and has improved his defensive play, so he’s flexible in being used from a winger, all the way back to left back. Well liked by Wolves so would take a hefty fee to sell him.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve seen him play for us in the u21s and always stood out as one of our best players. This guy is fast and direct. He deliveries a cracking cross. He deserves a chance. If he doesn’t impress then sell him. Nothing to lose. He will still be worth the same as he does 6 or 12 months down the line. But my feeling is that he will come good.

A season of playing a handful of Premier League games from the bench and some cup games isn’t going to reduce his value. If anything, it might improve it.

We have nothing to lose from giving him a run.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Works fine up to what? Playoff zone of the Championship? Not sure it even gets that high these days. You're describing football that no succesful team of significance has played for decades now.

Lampard: players don't need complicated tactics, they just need to take responsibility
Pep: very very complicated tactics

GV Wolf

Reaction score
Until I had read the Athletic article I hadn’t realised he was that sought after and had such good stats. Give him a go in pre season and see what happens.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lampard: players don't need complicated tactics, they just need to take responsibility
Pep: very very complicated tactics
Frank is ahead of his time!

His record in management so far screams a future great!!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giles for me should be given ago . The issue is for me the manager over complicating it all.

Just let the handbrake off and tell these supposedly top international players to play with freedom and attack.

Giles will come back and be told to probably defend and sit deep .
i’d like to see him given a chance instead of buying someone for the sake of it.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Just putting the ball in" is statistically one of the worst ways to try to score. Though I'll admit it's better than gently passing back to your gk only for him to bunt it out of play under only the mildest pressure.

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The decision on Ryan Giles may provide a good snapshot of whether we really are stepping away from Mendes' influence.

We know he can consistently perform in the Championship, and as such should have earned a spot on the fringes of our squad. Lots think he should be given a chance in a Wolves shirt (me included) but Giles won't make Mendes any money. If Jorge is still in Big Jeff's ear, he may prefer to move one of his assets to England.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i’d like to see him given a chance instead of buying someone for the sake of it.
Giles reminds me of John Robertson at Notts Forest. Like many of Clough's players Robertson had (mainly) one job to do but they had to do it well - in his case get quality crosses into the six yard box. If Giles is excellent at this then we can excuse weaknesses in other parts of his game.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Just putting the ball in" is statistically one of the worst ways to try to score. Though I'll admit it's better than gently passing back to your gk only for him to bunt it out of play under only the mildest pressure.
You need to watch the lad’s range and variety of balls.

He can do low whips, hard driven and more lofted at a range of heights.

His type of balls into the box and arsenal of choices will always make him a danger for a keeper and defence as they have real quality in dangerous areas add a good moving striker and he could be a massive asset

Back
Top Bottom