Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ryan Giles

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d like us to stick with 442; and I like it set up with one wide midfielder and one more traditional winger. Would be nice to have both options for both sides.
Giles, I think, could potentially be the option for the wide left midfielder.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I mean is at present he isn't sure which left back to pick ...since he has come in lopetugui we have had rayan Jonny Bueno and toti swap about....whereas it always semedo for instance at right back .....no problem with a bit of rotation but he clearly has no faith as one as his first choice...

Left back is probably our most covered area in the squad but it probably has the weakest first choice in the team as such ....

I would put left back as a priority for starting 11 as the same as the forward .. A good left back say Raphael Guierriro who could chip in with goals and assists is vital for us going forward.....what ever Semedo faults are I would put him slightly above all of our current left back options.....

For me right back we need cover, left back we need a nailed on starter . Obviously in an ideal world both but it probably isn't viable...
I think that if we had had a competent right back as competition for Semedo, he would have got game time. We have 3 LBs at a similar standard; we have Semedo as the only real RB, and we have Jonny who could cover both positions in the past but has no where near recovered previous form after his well know injury problems, sadly.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that if we had had a competent right back as competition for Semedo, he would have got game time. We have 3 LBs at a similar standard; we have Semedo as the only real RB, and we have Jonny who could cover both positions in the past but has no where near recovered previous form after his well know injury problems, sadly.
Yes a right back would probably have been rotated.....my problem with left back is we have plenty of options throughout the club , even Giles etc ....but have we a decent starter ...(exclude Bueno as he is young and inexperienced, he could be in time)......

We could probably move a couple of the options out for a top player.....say sell Rayan and Giles and bring in a top player ....

Madmalc

Reaction score
I think we could see a surprise of Sanderson at RB as an option next season, plus he's cover for CB.
With Giles he has more experience than Bueno at LB, so wouldn't be surprised if he is not in the squad next season.
I doubt there will be that much cash to splash out on transfers to pay over the odds again for another RB, bearing in mind how much Semedo costs. I think there will be more important areas to strengthen.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoever has developed well at Stoke. Why not give him another chance? He showed good cameos under Nuno but Large froze him out

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So frustrating that we have one of the highest regarded full backs in the game in RAN but we are all looking to move on to other considerably less talented options. Only Wolves.
I definitely want to keep him, but a) does JL and b) does he want to stay?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Giles didnt play for us and was being linked as a permanent transfer I think we would be fairly impressed at his assists record. It is seriously impressive. Still young as well. Think he might be being underestimated by a few. Maybe a name change to Rayan Ait Giles will do the trick?

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Giles didnt play for us and was being linked as a permanent transfer I think we would be fairly impressed at his assists record. It is seriously impressive. Still young as well. Think he might be being underestimated by a few. Maybe a name change to Rayan Ait Giles will do the trick?
Not that shallow mate, bit disrespectful don't you think, quite ironic really when you have a history of complaining about posters doing just what you've done.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we all just notice on MASSIVE thing about his crosses……

He doesn’t stop to drag it back or do a 3rd, 4th then 5th unnecessary step over, he just wipes it in as soon as he can. Sometimes with very little back lift.

Looking at the crosses, the variety on speed, height and swing would make him a dream for a good striker and a nightmare for keepers and defenders as they flew into the “corridor of uncertainty” with some real venom.

I think he gets a chance next season.

If we were linked to him as a new potential signing I think there would be a bit more excitement.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He seems very unselfish, and does often appear to pick someone out to cross to... not just hitting and hoping.
Having him left mid in a 442 with an over/under lapping fullback could be fruitful.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He doesn’t stop to drag it back or do a 3rd, 4th then 5th unnecessary step over, he just wipes it in as soon as he can. Sometimes with very little back lift.

Looking at the crosses, the variety on speed, height and swing would make him a dream for a good striker and a nightmare for keepers and defenders as they flew into the “corridor of uncertainty” with some real venom.

If we were linked to him as a new potential signing I think there would be a bit more excitement.
I know a few people might not light this but I'd be looking to loan Bueno out and give Giles a chance.
Bueno has some nice touches, a good brain and a nice cross on him, but I'm really not convinced he is at the right level defensively yet.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know a few people might not light this but I'd be looking to loan Bueno out and give Giles a chance.
Bueno has some nice touches, a good brain and a nice cross on him, but I'm really not convinced he is at the right level defensively yet.
Or….. I keep banging this drum….. but sod it…….

Play him in an advanced wide role! Utilise that weapon of a cross! He is quick and could actually be good at pressing from the front.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or….. I keep banging this drum….. but sod it…….

Play him in an advanced wide role! Utilise that weapon of a cross! He is quick and could actually be good at pressing from the front.
Let’s put him further forward he’s our own Gareth Bale

One good season with us…. He would be worth a fortune well worth a shot!!

djmikeydickens

Reaction score

Don't worry we'll soon coach that nonsense out of him.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to give him a chance imo. And get a striker in who is good in the air.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By all accounts that is what many are saying about Giles defensive ability.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can get a cross into the box and with a 6ft 7in forward in Kaljdzic up front it’s makes total sense to have him in the squad. Giles on the left a fit chiquinho on the right with Cunha in the Number 10 role sounds a good basis
Sounds good but two of them may never play more than a few games then breakdown injured.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s been trained in a FB role this season!

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s been trained in a FB role this season!
Yes, Thats because he is not very good defensively however I guess it comes down to do we want a defensive team or do we want an attacking team, Man City have been playing Bertnardo Silva as a W/B - F/B role for a few games but as we all know they dont often not have the ball, and that's the conundrum, attacking Giles is an asset, defending then Giles is a liability.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's all about balance. If we're playing with a back four, I would be genuinely worried we'd ship 3-4 every week with Giles or Bueno at left back and Semedo at right back every week.

So we have several options:
  1. We could go to a back five again. I wouldn't hate that, the majority of our squad was brought in/developed for fitting the profile of that system Nuno had created. The big question mark is, would we continue to struggle for goals in a more defensive system?
  2. Back four, but with a ball-playing centre back playing at right back that can transition into a back three, allowing Giles/Bueno/RAN the freedom to attack down the left at will. Man City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton all play with one.
  3. Sign a "defensive" right back that will be an upgrade on Semedo. Aaron Wan-Bissaka immediately comes to mind.
  4. Play Giles on the left wing if we continue with this hybrid "4-4-2". Still not sure that solves the problem of playing two defensively poor full backs on either side, unless Toti makes that left back spot his own.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, Thats because he is not very good defensively however I guess it comes down to do we want a defensive team or do we want an attacking team, Man City have been playing Bertnardo Silva as a W/B - F/B role for a few games but as we all know they dont often not have the ball, and that's the conundrum, attacking Giles is an asset, defending then Giles is a liability.

While generally true, in the Boro games I’ve watched with my wife this season, his defensive play has steadily improved. He’s not big or tough enough to be rock solid, but his positioning is improving as is his ability to nick the ball back with well timed tackles.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If he had played 15 senior games for a portugese team and was called Gilinho we would be wetting our pants. You make a very good point

Madmalc

Reaction score
Where as Semedo on 4m a year is an attacking non entity, defending liability..

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks absolute mustard in those clips. Someone who can create chances, get him in!

Really hoping I was wrong about him.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks absolute mustard in those clips. Someone who can create chances, get him in!

Really hoping I was wrong about him.
Reminds me of Barry Douglas in our Champs season. Could put a cross/FK on a 6p. You have to think with a half decent CF (please buy one this window Wolves) on the end of some of those wonderful crosses we must score a few?
The NNW theory of football - get the ball forward quickly (don't go back), shoot on sight at every opportunity and get in as many crosses as possible.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Reminds me of Barry Douglas in our Champs season. Could put a cross/FK on a 6p. You have to think with a half decent CF (please buy one this window Wolves) on the end of some of those wonderful crosses we must score a few?
The NNW theory of football - get the ball forward quickly (don't go back), shoot on sight at every opportunity and get in as many crosses as possible.
We hardly ever cross the ball, even on the odd occasion where there is more than one player in the box and it really wees me off.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree. If JLo actually wants to keep RAN as mentioned on another thread then Bueno could be sold to bolster funds instead of selling Giles off.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's all about balance. If we're playing with a back four, I would be genuinely worried we'd ship 3-4 every week with Giles or Bueno at left back and Semedo at right back every week.
A Semedo/Bueno full-back pairing might not be quite as disastrous as you fear. Since JL arrived these two have started together in 11 Premier League games. The team has conceded 3 or more in just 3 of those games. at Man City, Brighton and Arsenal. Both players were bad in the Brighton and Arsenal disasters but they were essentially awful team performances. In the other 8 games in which they both started we have conceded just 6 goals (I've not included Man Utd's late goal at Molineux as they'd been replaced by Jonny/Toti by then).

I'm not suggesting that the Semedo/Bueno partnership is ideal by any stretch of the imagination but I thought it might be useful to throw a few stats into the discussion.

Back
Top Bottom