Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ruben Neves

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many yellow cards is he on already? 3?
Is it 5 and you get a one match suspension?

Elokobi Wan

Reaction score

Garth Crooks had a right go at Neves in his "Crooks of the Matter" (terrible pun - BBC becoming more like the Sun these days) piece. Calls him "pathetic" for complaining about the Schar tackle on Neto in an interview.

Not sure why I dislike Garth Crooks so much. Something about the smug tone of the stuff he writes. And this one really annoyed me as it seems to presume Neves is another petulant whingeing footballer, when he's anything but.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many yellow cards is he on already? 3?
Is it 5 and you get a one match suspension?

It’s ridiculous though. He got one for complaining about a bad tackle on another player, and as captain, that’s his job to represent the team’s feelings towards the ref. On Saturday he picked up another for an innocuous tackle when loads of heavier Southampton tackles were not getting punished.

It’s not going to happen, but since PGMOL have a review body in place involving ex players this season, then I’d have them review players who have come up suspension either through a single red, two yellows or accumulated yellows. If they felt that upon review one or more of the cards were harsh then the suspension is deferred or amended as appropriate. The only thing this will miss, is context as they are unlikely to watch the entire game where each card was picked up.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would it be fair to say, and I’m just putting it out there….the best Wolves player ever, all things considered?

Not a statement. Just a suggestion?
Billy Wright
Peter Broadbent
Ron Flowers
Mike Bailey
Peter Knowles
Steve Bull
John Richards
Kenny Hibbitt
Bert Williams
Dennis Wescott

Just a few players off the top of my head who I would rate better than Neves. He may become a Wolves great in time but he's not done enough yet to deserve to be called a "great"
I doubt if he'll be at the Wolves though if he ever reaches the very top level and become a superstar.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score

Garth Crooks had a right go at Neves in his "Crooks of the Matter" (terrible pun - BBC becoming more like the Sun these days) piece. Calls him "pathetic" for complaining about the Schar tackle on Neto in an interview.

Not sure why I dislike Garth Crooks so much. Something about the smug tone of the stuff he writes. And this one really annoyed me as it seems to presume Neves is another petulant whingeing footballer, when he's anything but.
if garth crooks had a brain cell he would be a plant,he knows as much about football as i do on greek mythology

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Garth Crooks is an utter ****, always was, always will be. I had the misfortune to meet him in a London pub and he is as big a ****** in real life as he comes over....

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Crooks was a decent player but is absolutely rubbish as a pundit, surprised he still gets air time. Always tries to make himself sound intellectual but fails miserably. His teams of the week are a joke.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Is he still doing that thing in his team of the week where he puts a CB at left wing because a they scored from a ball that went in off their nobend at a corner - no matter how badly they played defensively?

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Billy Wright
Peter Broadbent
Ron Flowers
Mike Bailey
Peter Knowles
Steve Bull
John Richards
Kenny Hibbitt
Bert Williams
Dennis Wescott

Just a few players off the top of my head who I would rate better than Neves. He may become a Wolves great in time but he's not done enough yet to deserve to be called a "great"
I doubt if he'll be at the Wolves though if he ever reaches the very top level and become a superstar.
I beg to differ. So, knowles played less games and won nothing with us. Richards had one brilliant season and then was patchy. Bailey was good but not in the same league as neves. Bully was amazing for us but no where near neves for skill. The others i agree . Just shows the pointlessness of the comparisons. Neves is, as far as i am concerned, the most skillful player i have seen in a wolves shirt but there have been players who made a bigger impact and of course won much more.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Hancocks is Wolves highest scorer in the top division.
not bad for a winger
Unfortunately never seen him play but know that he was diminutive and wore tiny boots - size 5s - which makes his feat (no pun intended) even more remarkable. If only a modern little fella like Podence could emulate him.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves will leave eventually he’s far too good to stay here his whole career and it will be big money £70/80m that’s when we go fishing for more talent. Going to be so hard to replace him and Moutinho though

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves will leave eventually he’s far too good to stay here his whole career and it will be big money £70/80m that’s when we go fishing for more talent. Going to be so hard to replace him and Moutinho though
Only way we get that much is I'd he does sign a new contract, if he doesn't then we will probably lose him at the end of this season for around £20-25m

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
We need to offer him what it takes to stay. If we could only get about 20-25M for him with one year to go of his contract, then to replace him would cost at least another 20-25M on top for someone of at least similar caliber. Just put that difference into his contract. Another 5 year contract with the understanding that we would not stand in his way if a "top" club with CL status came in for him at a good price down the line. It would be a win win situation for both parties.
He is top dog here and well respected by all. He would find it difficulty to reach such a status at another club in a short time. He has to consider this - but wouldnt have to if he could achieve what he wants here at Wolves.

Last edited:

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to offer him what it takes to stay. If we could only get about 20-25M for him with one year to go of his contract, then to replace him would cost at least another 20-25M on top for someone of at least similar caliber. Just put that difference into his contract. Another 5 year contract with the understanding that we would not stand in his way if a "top" club with CL status came in for him at a good price down the line. It would be a win win situation for both parties.
He is top dog here and well respected by all. He would find it difficulty to reach such a status at another club in a short time. He has to consider this - but wouldnt have to if he could achieve what he wants here at Wolves.
Offer him a 5 year contract with a release clause of £75m plus and everyone's happy

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
if garth crooks had a brain cell he would be a plant,he knows as much about football as i do on greek mythology
Thats unfair on plants.

The word you're looking for is Amoeba which would be a more apt description for Garth Crooks and his opinions.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I remember Crooks in his Stoke/Spurs days, then vaguely something to do with MoTD and Football Focus around the Bob Wilson era. Since then the only time his name surfaces in my conciousness is when he says something that riles someone on here. Seems he's a BBC employee no-one can find a job for so he sits in a broom cupboard writing a weekly internet page and feels he has to wind someone up to get noticed.

Frankly if he wasn't mentioned on here I'd have no idea he was still knocking around.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no idea why people get so grumpy over someone who's been doing this for years. If you think he talks rubbish then don't read his articles. It's like people need to feed themselves things they hate just so they can complain.

Bit weird.

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score

Because he talks b*llocks?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no idea why people get so grumpy over someone who's been doing this for years. If you think he talks rubbish then don't read his articles. It's like people need to feed themselves things they hate just so they can complain.

Bit weird.

I think the annoyance (particularly this week) is his lazy journalism contributes to players, like Neves, getting an unfair rep as a whinger in the wider football sphere.

When the likes of Harry Kane, the true master of ref manipulation seem to get a completely free ride in the media.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I beg to differ. So, knowles played less games and won nothing with us. Richards had one brilliant season and then was patchy. Bailey was good but not in the same league as neves. Bully was amazing for us but no where near neves for skill. The others i agree . Just shows the pointlessness of the comparisons. Neves is, as far as i am concerned, the most skillful player i have seen in a wolves shirt but there have been players who made a bigger impact and of course won much more.
Well then you're talking about something very different, more a question of: is Neves the most talented player we've ever had? If that's the question, then I don't feel qualified to say. But if we're talking in my supporting life then yes, without a doubt. But in terms of best player, all factors considered, including importance etc Neves doesn't even come close to SGB, not even close! Just behave yourself.

But we are a bit privileged to be seeing a player of his class, in such a relatively inconsequential position (I'm sorry you 'purists' but it is) then yeah, I'm sure he's up there. Probably right up there, even now.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unfortunately never seen him play but know that he was diminutive and wore tiny boots - size 5s - which makes his feat (no pun intended) even more remarkable. If only a modern little fella like Podence could emulate him.
And for such small feet (which I didn't realise until I read it in recent years) he gave the ball a hell of a thwack. Saw him in my first League game and still have memories of him on the wing very close to where I was standing with my Dad. Years later I as privileged to watch Peter Broadbent and he was as good as any player today. Skill and class oozed out of him. A silly expression perhaps, but I always think of him as 'a player before his time'.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well then you're talking about something very different, more a question of: is Neves the most talented player we've ever had? If that's the question, then I don't feel qualified to say. But if we're talking in my supporting life then yes, without a doubt. But in terms of best player, all factors considered, including importance etc Neves doesn't even come close to SGB, not even close! Just behave yourself.

But we are a bit privileged to be seeing a player of his class, in such a relatively inconsequential position (I'm sorry you 'purists' but it is) then yeah, I'm sure he's up there. Probably right up there, even now.
Inconsequential how?

Monswolf

Reaction score
Can I just say when moved to centre back did not let himself or us down was excellent in both his defending and his passing out from the back

If today does not show the club we have to keep him at all costs then nothing will he bleeds gold and black just a shame the same can’t be said for the rest of the team

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Can I just say when moved to centre back did not let himself or us down was excellent in both his defending and his passing out from the back

If today does not show the club we have to keep him at all costs then nothing will he bleeds gold and black just a shame the same can’t be said for the rest of the team
Totally agree, did not deserve to be on the losing side today, nor has he for a long time now.

On current trajectory of results I expect him to be gone next season and Nunes too. With Mouthino probably retiring can see us with a midfield of Traore and Cundle next season…….

Back
Top Bottom