Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Petition for Wolves to return back to Old Gold

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it possible to clarify what 'old gold' is because as far as I'm aware it's a muddy brown colour.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it possible to clarify what 'old gold' is because as far as I'm aware it's a muddy brown colour.

That's what I thought.

The Fulham away top that was posted on here today looks the closest to gold imo.

But still a large number of our kits past and present have been orange/yellow anyway so maybe we should just accept it :/

Some on here would be happy with a shiny gold kit like the Pompey away kit a couple of years ago. Can't please everyone.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
'Old Gold' is the 'trim' on this very website!.....

Yes, the browny-orange.

Give it some thought....do you want this as your kit colour?

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems that save the 2000 kit, we've not played in 'old gold' since the 50s: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Wolverhampton_Wanderers/Wolverhampton_Wanderers.htm

Some extracts:

The famous old gold and black appeared in 1892, inspired by the municipal colours of Wolverhampton, which in turn represent the town's motto, "Out of Darkness Cometh Light." The shade used was very dark indeed, verging on brown.

After their 1954 title win, the shade of the shirts became a brighter gold

Perhaps we should have a petition to return to the 1883-1886 kit......[ducks head]

D

Dewsburywolf

No longer do I want us to be in a position whereby people are able to refer to us as division one rubbish in tatty orange shirts

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No longer do I want us to be in a position whereby people are able to refer to us as division one rubbish in tatty orange shirts

Not really old enough for old gold to mean anythining to me save the millenium shirt which really wasnt very nice even though it was traditional.

So bright Orange or $$$$e brown......decisions, decisions, decisions

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would imagine for a supplier to be ready to supply shirts in time for August (probably earlier), colour would have been nailed down ages ago to secure supply of material. So a petition is almost certainly a naiive waste of time.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The '74 to '79 strips are the closest I want to get to old gold. That was THE correct balance IMHO.

AndyP

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The poor quality kit manufacturer is a more pressing concern than the colour at this stage.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 2000 - 2002 kit colour was spot on in my opinion, would love to go back to that colour shirt!

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe the club should publish a colour chart and then we could all vote what shade of gold we want once and for all?
I am all for traditional colours wherever possible because it is very much part of the club's long and (at times!) illustrious history-but I do suspect that the historical "old gold" of the MolMix site would be considered way too drab by many especially younger fans for whom various shades of yellow or orange have been more the norm.

S

SimplyTheWolves

My avatar is now very close to Old Gold, and even with a sponsor coloured red and blue I reckon it looks OK.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
It's not quite that dark WW, it's more of an olive green than brown. I don’t think it's the perfect colour but it would certainly give our kit more consistency.

Old Gold: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_(color))

I have been confused by this before when looking into 'old gold'....this colour does not ring true for us and our history. It is more applicable to the the old American 'hand egg' kit used by the SF 49ers...

I did discover a british reference to 'old gold' which looked just like the colour on this site...unfortunately cannot find it now.

The oldies amongst us may be able to shed some light on the matter....but if you stick the suggested RGB values 207;181;59 as a background colour on your desktop/laptop it looks nothing like what we have used when referencing it against the info on the 'historical kits' site.

hoop

Reaction score
wolverhampton_wanderers_1974-1976_c.gif

To me this is the best colour, darker than gold but not brown or orange.

D

Danwolf

No thank you. Old gold is a horrible brown colour. Just normal gold will do.

S

SimplyTheWolves

I have been confused by this before when looking into 'old gold'....this colour does not ring true for us and our history. It is more applicable to the the old American 'hand egg' kit used by the SF 49ers...

I did discover a british reference to 'old gold' which looked just like the colour on this site...unfortunately cannot find it now.

The oldies amongst us may be able to shed some light on the matter....but if you stick the suggested RGB values 207;181;59 as a background colour on your desktop/laptop it looks nothing like what we have used when referencing it against the info on the 'historical kits' site.

I agree with you there WW.

It makes you wonder whether we have ever actually played in old gold. Looking at the historical kits old gold must be a very dark orange/brown, but then again maybe as time has gone on many more shades have been introduced hence the wiki reference.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I agree with you there WW.

It makes you wonder whether we have ever actually played in old gold. Looking at the historical kits old gold must be a very dark orange/brown, but then again maybe as time has gone on many more shades have been introduced hence the wiki reference.

I agree with the others on here....we need to find a nice shade of gold and stick with it.

Drop the 'old gold' name and reference and be called the 'gold and black' as the colour is unattractive and confusing as can be seen.

We have/had a colour expert of sorts on here (could be Wo1ves) who knows quite a bit about the colour issues.....I think he did a mock-up of three shades in kits once on here. I recall one of the colours looked quite good.....it was the end one on the right of the pic IIRC..

D

Deleted member 4023

The only two things that 'Old Gold' would bring would be:
01. It would be a unique strip in Europe
02. Our players wouldn't be as easy to mark by defenders
On the minus side:
01. The original colour was very bland & almost too dark for floodlights - wouldn't lend itself to modern day TV too well either
02. Do you honestly see us attracting new fans with such a drab uninspiring kit
I believe the way forward is to find some colour in between the original & the colour of the preferred kit of the late 50's/60's. The club would register that as the benchmark - everything produced by the club would have to meet that criteria - otherwise it would get rejected
If someone at the top doesn't do something soon, we'll finish up with stuff from bright yellow through to bright orange.
Another option open to Morgan is to go for a different base colour such as white or black, then utilise old gold on that in the form of panels

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't the reason it was made lighter in the fifties because of the floodlights?

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
The only two things that 'Old Gold' would bring would be:
01. It would be a unique strip in Europe
02. Our players wouldn't be as easy to mark by defenders
On the minus side:
01. The original colour was very bland & almost too dark for floodlights - wouldn't lend itself to modern day TV too well either
02. Do you honestly see us attracting new fans with such a drab uninspiring kit
I believe the way forward is to find some colour in between the original & the colour of the preferred kit of the late 50's/60's. The club would register that as the benchmark - everything produced by the club would have to meet that criteria - otherwise it would get rejected
If someone at the top doesn't do something soon, we'll finish up with stuff from bright yellow through to bright orange.
Another option open to Morgan is to go for a different base colour such as white or black, then utilise old gold on that in the form of panels

Blasphemy! :eek:

Steve 'Red' Morgan would be well advised not to mess with the 'expected' colour!

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
W01ves posted a swatch of all gold shades a while ago, showing every shade of gold under the sun.

If anyone can be bothered to find it, it`s there somewhere if it helps.

W

wanderer24

I do find it odd that not only are many of you not bothered, but you actually like the "orange" coloured shirts we've been lumbered with over the years.
I would be extatic if we saw a return to some "old gold".

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
W01ves posted a swatch of all gold shades a while ago, showing every shade of gold under the sun.

If anyone can be bothered to find it, it`s there somewhere if it helps.

What has happened to him?........was he outed as the Moxter himself or something?:D

M

MonkeySpanner

I think the point is that we should be playing in a "form of old gold" and not the Orange we play in today.

In my opinion the club should be in many ways looking at the roots of this old and historical club and our historic colors that blazed the way through out Europe at the advent of TV.

A small investment made by the club into the creation of an "Old Gold" to suit the modern era should be high on the clubs list and from that the addition of a decent kit manufacturer should be part of the building blocks as much as the modernization of our great historic ground.

At prescent our colors don't even represent gold let alone a version of old gold.

Again I state, our club colors are NOT ORANGE.

M

Mister Rabbit

Proper Gold and Proper Black for me please. All White with gold and black beaded trim for the away kit.

S

SimplyTheWolves

Wasn't the reason it was made lighter in the fifties because of the floodlights?

I think so AW, and if I'm correct in my thinking we had a special one made so the TV cameras could pick it up too.

S

SimplyTheWolves

I think the point is that we should be playing in a "form of old gold" and not the Orange we play in today.

In my opinion the club should be in many ways looking at the roots of this old and historical club and our historic colors that blazed the way through out Europe at the advent of TV.

A small investment made by the club into the creation of an "Old Gold" to suit the modern era should be high on the clubs list and from that the addition of a decent kit manufacturer should be part of the building blocks as much as the modernization of our great historic ground.

At prescent our colors don't even represent gold let alone a version of old gold.

This gets my vote, well said MonkeySpanner.

X

XDevonwolf

i think the point is that we should be playing in a "form of old gold" and not the orange we play in today.

In my opinion the club should be in many ways looking at the roots of this old and historical club and our historic colors that blazed the way through out europe at the advent of tv.

A small investment made by the club into the creation of an "old gold" to suit the modern era should be high on the clubs list and from that the addition of a decent kit manufacturer should be part of the building blocks as much as the modernization of our great historic ground.

Again i state, our club colors are not orange.

+1

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score

TBH I feel the current colour although not 'gold' in any shade is quite vibrant, but I do agree with what you say for the most.

We should decide on a nice shade of gold but I can't see why it should be termed 'old gold'....as seen, it doesn't actually relate to a colour relevant to our past. 'Old Gold' for me suggests a specific colour in the 'gold' range so I can't understand why the term needs to be used.

It is just not the colour that is an issue for me but also the club badge and the motto.....the badge is far too simple and basic, lacking any sort of elegance...and the motto needs to be a more motivational one, one relevant to sporting battle...

There is just so much the club do not get right.

S

SimplyTheWolves

TBH I feel the current colour although not 'gold' in any shade is quite vibrant, but I do agree with what you say for the most.

We should decide on a nice shade of gold but I can't see why it should be termed 'old gold'....as seen, it doesn't actually relate to a colour relevant to our past. 'Old Gold' for me suggests a specific colour in the 'gold' range so I can't understand why the term needs to be used.

It is just not the colour that is an issue for me but also the club badge and the motto.....the badge is far too simple and basic, lacking any sort of elegance...and the motto needs to be a more motivational one, one relevant to sporting battle...

There is just so much the club do not get right.

Up the revolution! :D

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do find it odd that not only are many of you not bothered, but you actually like the "orange" coloured shirts we've been lumbered with over the years.
I would be extatic if we saw a return to some "old gold".

I find it odd that you want to return to a colour that was ditched in the early/mid fifties, the seventies and 80's colours are where I was bought up and what I remember.

Just because a colour has historical reference doesn't necessarily make it good.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Like the history that gave us the bloody awful red and white kit a season or so ago. Things change, we have people on here wanting Adidas or Nike making our kits so they will appeal to the kids more......how many kids are going to buy a dog doo brown kit?

Back
Top Bottom