Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Penny pinching may cost us our top targets

R

Rocky_Balllboa

Gardner chose the bigger wages at Sunderland, Mills may go elsewhere due to us not paying an extra 500k. We have warned clubs in the media we will not paying the asking fee and put their backs up no doubt.

O'hara took forever to complete as Moxey was no doubt getting him for as cheap as he could.

We may shoot ourselves in the foot and end up looking at cheaper foreigners, as we all knows thats a dodgy policy. Really if we want quality we will have to pay for it, end of story

W

wanderer24

This isn't pennies though is it? This is huge amounts of money on players that might not even be successfull at our club. I'm glad our club is being prudent and at the same time I don't doubt that quality comes at a price.
Remember this though, spending beyond your means doesn't guarantee success or even safety. West Ham????

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very happy with it myself.

I'd MUCH prefer to be known as a hard-bargaining, not-to-be-taken-for-a-ride club than a loads-a-wonga outfit. Much healthier for us in the long term.

We're obviously not doing it to an excessive degree or it's very unlikely that O'Hara would've signed.

C

coxywolves

Past mistakes have taught us lessons paying silly wages on players. I'm happy with the way the club goes about it's business. But, it's a fine line is'nt it, when we have a few dodgy results it's all 'pay billy big $$$$$$$$$$ this or that then we would'nt be in this mess'

W

wolvo_boi

We have targets and we do need reinforcements and we need to improve.

BUT i think the 3 promoted teams are considerably weaker than every other team in the league, throw in Wigan and Blackburn minus Samba. Be cautious this year and stay up we could then spend big next year and compete with Sunderland and Stoke etc.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rather think O'Hara "expects" more quality to arrive at the club, but lets wait and see...........

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There must be a middle ground between breaking the bank and paying one of the lowest wages in the division.
If we don't find the right balance we will be in the same situation come next May, and perhaps this time, the 3 minute reprieve won't be there to save us.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have targets and we do need reinforcements and we need to improve.

BUT i think the 3 promoted teams are considerably weaker than every other team in the league, throw in Wigan and Blackburn minus Samba. Be cautious this year and stay up we could then spend big next year and compete with Sunderland and Stoke etc.

Betting on there being 3 weaker teams is a dangerous strategy. (IMO of course, I could be wrong):embarassed:

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolvo boi
I don't want to 'compete' with Sunderland and Stoke. I wish to grind them into the dirt under our callous, insouciant heels. That apart, I fully endorse the thrust of your post and don't see a problem with the current policy tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oxford Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
O'hara took forever to complete as Moxey was no doubt getting him for as cheap as he could.

Rather speculative thing to say.

O'Hara's loan didn't finish till June 30th and the deal was done before it expired, he had always said he wanted to join the club permanently, and he had been on a family holiday before he signed.

I prefer to the look at the facts.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with the club's policy. Why should we pay above average wages for players who were in a relegated team last season or pay a huge amount for a championship player who afterall did not succeed to take his team to the premiership, he is still unproven and therefore even if Wolves finally succeed to bring him to Molineux, we would still not be sure he is the answer to our central position problems.

So let us not put pressure on our administrators, afterall they were commended by the premiership for being the best financially run club in the division. We need to ensure that financially our club remains strong and do not allow the players to ruin our club financially.

W

wolvo_boi

Wolvo boi
I don't want to 'compete' with Sunderland and Stoke. I wish to grind them into the dirt under our callous, insouciant heels. That apart, I fully endorse the thrust of your post and don't see a problem with the current policy tbh.

Thats the next stage :D

Catch up with them (we are coming to the end of this phase atm)
Compete with them
Get ahead of them
Destroy them

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jack Bauer

Gardner chose the bigger wages at Sunderland, Mills may go elsewhere due to us not paying an extra 500k. We have warned clubs in the media we will not paying the asking fee and put their backs up no doubt.

We may shoot ourselves in the foot and end up looking at cheaper foreigners, as we all knows thats a dodgy policy. Really if we want quality we will have to pay for it, end of story

Firstly we only have the E&S word for it, secondly how do any of us know what was offered to Gardner? For all we know he may have been offered more than anyone else at the club, Sunderland have money to burn and don't care if they make a £20m loss each year, how are we supposed to compete with that?

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm happy Moxey's keeping some shape around his dealings. For instance hypothetically how the heck could he bring in Gardner on a wage significantly more than say Doyler and O'Hara ?

Transfer fees are one thing - but the thing that will destabilise any team [whether Premier League football or a group of blokes in an office] is disparity in wages - and for sure every wage is broadly known by every player in a team no matter how many promises are made not to disclose.

R

Redditch Wolves

We have to start paying more wages and that is fact. 2nd worst payers in the league works only for so long because if we want to progress then we have to pay the going rate I'm afraid.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Very happy with it myself.

I'd MUCH prefer to be known as a hard-bargaining, not-to-be-taken-for-a-ride club than a loads-a-wonga outfit. Much healthier for us in the long term.

We're obviously not doing it to an excessive degree or it's very unlikely that O'Hara would've signed.

Agreed.

J

jabbawolf

I'm happy Moxey's keeping some shape around his dealings. For instance hypothetically how the heck could he bring in Gardner on a wage significantly more than say Doyler and O'Hara ?

Transfer fees are one thing - but the thing that will destabilise any team [whether Premier League football or a group of blokes in an office] is disparity in wages - and for sure every wage is broadly known by every player in a team no matter how many promises are made not to disclose.

Don't you just love a bit of common sense.

U

UNCLE REMUS

It's all about "value for money" of all the players mentioned, I haven't been exited by the prospect on any, if I could choose

Cattermole from Sunderland, Samba from Blackburn, could do with a left back, but who really is any good?

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score

My dad, who is in his 80s, always says that each established member of the first team should be paid the same money....:D

Welcome to Wolverhampton Factory Workers FC - but he has a point.

Doyle, Jarvis, Ó'Hara and Fletcher for example are Wolves top band, first team players, yet there could be thousands of pounds per week difference in their weekly pay packet.

J

Jack Bauer

We have to start paying more wages and that is fact. 2nd worst payers in the league works only for so long because if we want to progress then we have to pay the going rate I'm afraid.

Who says we aren't paying the going rate? A lot of our players are from the Championship so will obviously be being paid less than established players. I bet there are players on 2 or 3 times Matt Jarvis' wages who aren't a patch on him.

R

Redditch Wolves

Who says we aren't paying the going rate? A lot of our players are from the Championship so will obviously be being paid less than established players. I bet there are players on 2 or 3 times Matt Jarvis' wages who aren't a patch on him.

2nd bottom in wages!!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets put it this way. To improve on the players we have, especially in the current defence which looks shocking, we will have to start paying wages on a par with what O'Hara is earning or we will never progress. We should be following the example of Stoke. They pay higher wages than us but I have not heard they are calling in the adminstrators! I know the club is being run in a stable way but if we are to progress we need to up the quality. To up the quality we need to up the wages as we have done with O'Hara. This now must be done with the defence, which is now even weaker, squad wise than last season or we will struggle next season big time.

B

Bostin

Nothing to do with the fact that everyone's been away on holiday after working their $$$$$$$$ off all season? He was our player until today, nobody else could even speak to him, and the deal was wrapped up a week ago. It's been said numerous times that O'Hara wanted to sign and the deal was already in place. Besides, we've offered him 5 years which he didn't even ask for. Hardly penny pinching are we?

The rest of your arguement is based on E&S speculation.

Still, don't let that get in the way of a good rant :bootyshake:

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has to be a step by step approach. For an exceptional player the club should be willing to go the extra mile but in general we should pay reasonable rates and not be blackmailed by greedy agents or their charges. Look at Arsenal where the likes of Nasri/Clicy are demanding a huge increase in wages knowing that several other big clubs are interested in stepping in.

I don't know what our top earners get but I imagine it is £25,000-30,000 per week. Most first teamers are probably in the £15,000 to 20,000 range. Arguably the club should be prepared to pay around £40,000 per week for the very best available to us. But for the moment that is likely to be the very tops with the average rising a little to perhaps half that amount. If the likes of Craig Gardner expect 40k + a week forget it.

B

Burlton Wolf

step by step or being near the trap door each season? - I dont want another repeat of last season and staying up on other results, I dont expect us to break the bank and bankrupt the club but i expect investment in better quality players!

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lets put it this way. To improve on the players we have, especially in the current defence which looks shocking, we will have to start paying wages on a par with what O'Hara is earning or we will never progress. We should be following the example of Stoke. They pay higher wages than us but I have not heard they are calling in the adminstrators! I know the club is being run in a stable way but if we are to progress we need to up the quality. To up the quality we need to up the wages as we have done with O'Hara. This now must be done with the defence, which is now even weaker, squad wise than last season or we will struggle next season big time.

I doubt anyone would disagree with you, certainly not me. But the proof is already in the pudding - we've clearly done this with O'Hara, and are therefore likely to continue in this vein for the right player/s.

Step by step though. Getting involved in bidding wars and upping salaries just to compete with those clubs throwing the cash around is certainly not a clever idea though.

Stoke would seem to be a good half-way house, but they're a couple of years ahead of us.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is this is based on E&S speculation. Also why should we perhaps overpay Gardner and upset other players.
Clearly we need to increase our wage structure to attract the type of player we now want but this will be a step by step thing not a sudden splurge. Integral to this will be the redevelopment of the ground.
Personally I'm not all that bothered about Gardner and don't see him as a player worth breaking our existing wage structure for.
I also have a sneaking feeling that some of those complaining about not paying the wages would have complained Gardner wasn't worth it if we had made him our highest earner.

C

cooper_J

I give you Portsmouth, Leeds, Bradford, Crystal Palace, Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham...

Then I ask you if it's a good idea to flash the cash left, right and centre.

As for penny pinching we've broken our transfer record in each of the last two pre-seasons and already spent £5 million on one transfer this time round.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I doubt anyone would disagree with you, certainly not me. But the proof is already in the pudding - we've clearly done this with O'Hara, and are therefore likely to continue in this vein for the right player/s.

Step by step though. Getting involved in bidding wars and upping salaries just to compete with those clubs throwing the cash around is certainly not a clever idea though.

Stoke would seem to be a good half-way house, but they're a couple of years ahead of us.

I agree with what you are saying and yes Stoke are 2 years ahead of us but they were paying out bigger wages going into their third season as we are now.
I just hope we up the ante with our defence. As it really does need some serious rebuilding!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I give you Portsmouth, Leeds, Bradford, Crystal Palace, Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham...

As for penny pinching we've broken our transfer record in each of the last two pre-seasons and already spent £5 million on one transfer this time round.

The funny thing is West Ham are still even now splashing the cash in the championship and getting away with it!

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think you're pointing to the extreme, no one is saying flash the cash left right and center, most are advocating a step by step approach, and the point in question is more wages than transfer fees

C

cooper_J

I think you're pointing to the extreme, no one is saying flash the cash left right and center, most are advocating a step by step approach, and the point in question is more wages than transfer fees

O'Hara is earning the sort of wages that would have been unthinkable at Molineux 3 years ago and both Doyle and Fletcher are probably not too far away. Step by step is happening!

We are building steadily but we're not prepared to pay over the odds. What's wrong with that?

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is more a case of football clubs gazumping us than "greedy players". True they accept the higher wages if newspaper reports are to be believed but they would have been prepared to come to Wolves if the wages on offer were the same from us and our competitiors. I must admit I both believe in the clubs approach and admire the courage they are displaying in sticking to their convictions.

M

MonkeySpanner

Time for hard barganing when we've finally established ourselves as a Premiere league club and players approach you to ply their trade. At the moment haggling over what really amounts to chump change in this league is going to see us in another relegation battle and if we go down having to start from scratch as our prize assets will be off.

Back
Top Bottom