Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf I think it was taken just before they knocked it down
I'm sure you are right Pagey. It just seems symbolic of the state of the club at that time. One picture tells a story. I spent many, many hours in my mis-spent youth looking at that stand from behind the North Bank goal. Brings back so many memories.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Videos of Wolverhampton town centre in the 1970s, including footage of Molineux. Very interesting for the older Wolves fans (music is excellent also)

Getting the bus into town with my Grandad watching all those lovely bottles of sterilised go round was always amazing! Can't live in the past, but such a shame we don't have a ground with the character of those times.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BSK is that bloke in the middle waving the newspaper!!!
Funny you should ask that. That photo is late 1930s, but in the 50s they used to sell newspapers in the ground at HT. I remember one instance of this clearly on Grand National day in March 1959. The same day we were playing the Albion and the HT score was 2-2 I remember. My Dad wanted to know if he had backed the winner and he went down to the front of the South Bank and bought a paper off a bloke who was selling the early edition of the E&S. The winner was Oxo. He hadn't backed it!

PS: at least we won that game, 5-2.:)

GV Wolf

Reaction score
Is that the Steve Bull being built?
Yep, I can see that the red seats had not been installed at the time of the picture being taken. The houses being demolished are now the car park/ north bank stand. I find all theses pictures fascinating - be nice to turn up today and for just one game the old ground was there pre fan segregation (78/79 ish).

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, I can see that the red seats had not been installed at the time of the picture being taken. The houses being demolished are now the car park/ north bank stand. I find all theses pictures fascinating - be nice to turn up today and for just one game the old ground was there pre fan segregation (78/79 ish).
The youngsters would have kittens over the old South (or North for that matter) Bank bogs.... The Council as licensing authority and WMP would have a collective breakdown too.....

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting the bus into town with my Grandad watching all those lovely bottles of sterilised go round was always amazing! Can't live in the past, but such a shame we don't have a ground with the character of those times.
recognised quite a few (though by no means all bits). Inside the mander center, the midlands dairy and the chubb building brought back some memories

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find it quite sad that the whole of that Molineux Street neighbourhood was cleared. Shame the ground was in such a wedge plot, and probably part of the reason the side stands were cranked around the pitch?

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
You can see the South Bank roof and the front of the old Social club at the side of the South Bank. As the the social club was opened in 1967, it looks to be right.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can see the South Bank roof and the front of the old Social club at the side of the South Bank. As the the social club was opened in 1967, it looks to be right.
Was that a club social club or independent, CIU type place?

Agree with @Peszkywolf it's a shame that little neighbourhood of normal terraces had to be cleared, I like the grounds with houses and pubs around them. Molineux is still okay on the other side but a bit of a mess on the town side.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went to that fight (lasted about 2 minutes...) but don't remember an awning over the ring. Perhaps from an earlier time?
Doing a little research, I note that temperatures reached 89 degrees in London a few days earlier so I guess the West Midlands wouldn't have ben too disimilar. The awning was probably there to protect the boxers from the sun although from what I read it was a very brief contest.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was that a club social club or independent, CIU type place?

Agree with @Peszkywolf it's a shame that little neighbourhood of normal terraces had to be cleared, I like the grounds with houses and pubs around them. Molineux is still okay on the other side but a bit of a mess on the town side.
Yes, it was the Wolves social club. A book that I have reads, and I quote:

"Right next door to Wolves famous Molineux Ground headquarters is this impressive new social club buiding. The social activities are carried out in the ground floor lounges and bars while the upper floor is a huge indoor training area".

The cost of the building was a whopping £100,000, and if I'm not mistaken some of the Wolves outdoor training took place in the car park, although that may have occurred at a later date.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if there's a photo of our original club shop called "The Lair" that was located at the back of the North Bank.

If memory serves me well, it was a wooden portacabin that sold programmes, rosettes and scalves. Seem to recall I purchased a Preston North End away programme for some strange reason although I never went to the game. Perhaps it was the done thing in those days to collect other clubs "progs".

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes, it was the Wolves social club. A book that I have reads, and I quote:

"Right next door to Wolves famous Molineux Ground headquarters is this impressive new social club buiding. The social activities are carried out in the ground floor lounges and bars while the upper floor is a huge indoor training area".

The cost of the building was a whopping £100,000, and if I'm not mistaken some of the Wolves outdoor training took place in the car park, although that may have occurred at a later date.
There was a gym/sports hall above the social club where we trained when it was too snowy to train outdoors.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Doing a little research, I note that temperatures reached 89 degrees in London a few days earlier so I guess the West Midlands wouldn't have ben too disimilar. The awning was probably there to protect the boxers from the sun although from what I read it was a very brief contest.
Yes, had a look and it was a TKO in Round 2. Always imagined they put up an awning to keep the canvas dry, but not sure how it would work with the floodlights? Maybe removed when it went dark and wasn't raining?

Back
Top Bottom