Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if there's a photo of our original club shop called "The Lair" that was located at the back of the North Bank.

If memory serves me well, it was a wooden portacabin that sold programmes, rosettes and scalves. Seem to recall I purchased a Preston North End away programme for some strange reason although I never went to the game. Perhaps it was the done thing in those days to collect other clubs "progs".
Exactly this! As well as programmes and badges, I remember getting rosettes and pennants both of which were a thing in the 60's but would probably seem odd to anyone who wasn't around at the time.

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
The old North Bank shop. I had some happy times working in there from 1974-82. After the sale of the club to the Bhatti brothers, the shop moved into the old lottery office in the back of the North Bank. At one time there was also a shop inside the upper concourse of the John Ireland stand, and an old brick building behind the Molineux Hotel. The shop was managed by folk singer Harvey Andrews and his wife. I remember the late John Hensley also worked there in the 1979s.5D8B9549-5FA6-4028-8A49-B4466252225E.jpeg

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
The old North Bank shop. I had some happy times working in there from 1974-82. After the sale of the club to the Bhatti brothers, the shop moved into the old lottery office in the back of the North Bank. At one time there was also a shop inside the upper concourse of the John Ireland stand, and an old brick building behind the Molineux Hotel. The shop was managed by folk singer Harvey Andrews and his wife. I remember the late John Hensley also worked there in the 1979s.View attachment 33689
Sorry I meant John Hendley in the 1970s!

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Exactly this! As well as programmes and badges, I remember getting rosettes and pennants both of which were a thing in the 60's but would probably seem odd to anyone who wasn't around at the time.
The shop was always handy for catching up on previous weeks programmes I couldn't afford on the day of the match, how things .have
changed now with these megastores. And slightly bigger LOL

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if there's a photo of our original club shop called "The Lair" that was located at the back of the North Bank.

If memory serves me well, it was a wooden portacabin that sold programmes, rosettes and scalves. Seem to recall I purchased a Preston North End away programme for some strange reason although I never went to the game. Perhaps it was the done thing in those days to collect other clubs "progs".
The club shop was housed in the North bank
The wooden hut you refer to with old programmes etc was run by the official supporters club which Albert and Muriel Bates was in charge of

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The wooden hut you refer to with old programmes etc was run by the official supporters club which Albert and Muriel Bates was in charge of
Great days Ercall. Loved going up those brick stairs as a kid and being treated to a mug or badge in the club shop. It was really narrow in there and often packed but it was just so magical.

Also, I am presuming (sadly) that Albert and Muriel are no longer with us? I also remember names of Mick Harper and Kelvin Wetherall who used to sell programmes? I know Kelvin used to still sell bits up until recently I think.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great days Ercall. Loved going up those brick stairs as a kid and being treated to a mug or badge in the club shop. It was really narrow in there and often packed but it was just so magical.

Also, I am presuming (sadly) that Albert and Muriel are no longer with us? I also remember names of Mick Harper and Kelvin Wetherall who used to sell programmes? I know Kelvin used to still sell bits up until recently I think.
Didn't Kelvin have a stall near the subway until a season or two ago?

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Do you know when it was demolished?
I would guess the 1990’s.
When I first started going to matches in the mid-70’s I used to drink in there, despite only being 15 or 16. You would often see fringe players who hadn’t made the starting XI in their drinking as well. A young Wayne Clarke was a regular.

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
The shop moved into the North Bank in 1982. The hut or “The Lair” as it was titled, opened in the late 1960s until the club‘s sale in 1982. Incidently, I saw a very fit, and well, Albert Bates in Penn just before Christmas!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you Ercall, that clears that one up.
I don't ever recall going into the club shop, but I'm sure I did at some stage as I lived in the North Bank during the 70's.

Edit: just read Lupus and Penn's contribution and from what has been stated the club shop moved into the North Bank in the early 80's.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Molineux - Wolves v Liverpool 4th May 1976. Liverpool fans run down to the North Bank to celebrate their 3-1 win and Division One title.
View attachment 33723
View attachment 33724
Definitely the Cooper/Bodell fight. The Express and Star archives includes a better picture (attached) Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 12.45.46 Medium.jpegand states "The big fight at Molineux: this print from our archives shows crowds watching a boxing match at Molineux on June 13, 1967. Henry Cooper beat Jack Bodell to retain his title as British and Empire Heavyweight Champion at the event"

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you know when it was demolished?
Molineux social club was demolished in the early 2000's.

It was a concrete building that was structurally starting to give up so they pulled it down.

Had many a training session / soccer club in there on a matchday morning with the young wolves in the early to mid 90's as a youngster.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The wooden hut you refer to with old programmes etc was run by the official supporters club which Albert and Muriel Bates waRemove it well. Albert and Muriel were great to discuss everything Wolves related. s in charge of

Rememit wellbert an rielber

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Molineux social club was demolished in the early 2000's.

It was a concrete building that was structurally starting to give up so they pulled it down.

Had many a training session / soccer club in there on a matchday morning with the young wolves in the early to mid 90's as a youngster.
remember when it opened, John Ireland and was it Penny Plumber ? Miss World cut the ribbon,

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was it club or council owned?

We still use the land as an overspill exec car park.
, I always believed the club owned it, TFWanderers, apparently they built a full size training pitch on the top floor.
Always remember having a beer in there on a match day and the Doog came and sat at my table with his Guinness and had a good chat,
Imaging that happening these day's , he was playing that day as well.

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
The social club was originally owned by the club. When they went to administration in 1982 the council bought the ground including the social club and Castlecroft. The council subsequently refurbed the social club as a sports centre, and managed it until it was demolished.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Indeed it was !!!
Cheers Wagstaffe Was Magic,. reason i remember that was there was a picture of John Ireland and Penny Plumber on the front of a programme and the Doog signed it on that day I met him in the club,
I was never into autographs but he was my fav player and a legend, Only other ones I ever got was Steve Bull's and Bobby Mason's. for exactly the same reason,
Would have loved to have seen them all in the same forward line,

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember as a youngster how the four floodlight pylons dominated the towns skyline…. and could be seen from a long way off !!

We used to travel to Wolverhampton on the Cannock Road and we could see the floodlights well before we reached town.

Is it true that when Sir Jack rebuilt Molineux, Nuneaton Borough bought our old floodlights?

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Celebrating 3rd division title, and older pic is 1960 FA Cup

Attachments

• 3D6FD6B8-8DB7-4EFB-A27A-E87B2370447B.jpeg
    3D6FD6B8-8DB7-4EFB-A27A-E87B2370447B.jpeg
    745.4 KB · Views: 68
  • F05CF7F2-0CF6-4F93-9BDF-E15D5391D41E.jpeg
    F05CF7F2-0CF6-4F93-9BDF-E15D5391D41E.jpeg
    796.1 KB · Views: 64

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We used to travel to Wolverhampton on the Cannock Road and we could see the floodlights well before we reached town.

Is it true that when Sir Jack rebuilt Molineux, Nuneaton Borough bought our old floodlights?
I hadn’t heard that one FL

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
I never understood why we couldn't have used the enclosure and the concrete section of the North Bank terracing. You could easily have got out onto the pitch if there had been a fire. The ground was so depressing with two sides closed. Thank god Bully and co livened things up at that time!

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I hadn’t heard that one FL
I always thought it was an East coast club like Grimsby , Lincoln or S****horpe.? probably wrong tho.

Scroll down on that page and a great pic, Name the Wolves player kicking the ball. ?

just found this from Aunty G, says 1958, so probably different time and floodlights that Frank Lincoln was talking about.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I always thought it was an East coast club like Grimsby , Lincoln or S****horpe.? probably wrong tho.

just found this from Aunty G, says 1958, so probably different time and floodlights that Frank Lincoln was talking about.
I'd just found similar, but confused me. When people were talking about selling them I assumed this was around 1990. Did we sell the original ones used for the 50's games and replace them in 1958?

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd just found similar, but confused me. When people were talking about selling them I assumed this was around 1990. Did we sell the original ones used for the 50's games and replace them in 1958?
doesn't sound right does it, they would have only been 5 yrs old in 58 but I also thought it was before Sir Jack, Also in 58 i would have been only 7yrs old and wouldnt have remembered. sure someone will know

Back
Top Bottom