Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Judging by the clothes and the South Bank has the roof built, I’d say late 30’s?
I thought that, it's in this article on attendances where for season 49/50, which I guess is possible?

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought that, it's in this article on attendances where for season 49/50, which I guess is possible?

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also forgot to mention , if he left his flies open he would get a sore throat
:tearsofjoy: They knew how to dressin those days

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must've been great having a cap shop then !
I just wish you could still get caps like that, full crown caps with a well defined peak. (Like every man in my family wore from 1880 to 1966,) All you have on offer now are country gent flat caps, with the peak buttoned down, or these Irish style peaky blinder Jobs, with panels and a silly button on top!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would say this is either just before or just after WW2, based on the dress code.

Edit: ha! Just seen the caption, it's 1938

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also forgot to mention , if he left his flies open he would get a sore throat
:tearsofjoy: They knew how to dressin those days
In my early days at Molineux late 1950s, (North Bank, just by the base of the floodlight near Waterloo Road) I wondered why some men carried rolled up news papers. My Dad explained it to me (wish I hadnt asked)

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barnsley away 2009
Joking apart, in 2005 the missus and me went on a long distance walk that took us through an area quite close to Barnsley, and in the evenings we ate in pubs. The locals all seemed to be wearing 'winkle-picker' shoes and there was nothing on the pub juke-boxes that dated from later than about 1972.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Brings back a lot of (mostly good Graham Turner & Bully memories), thanks for posting that one @Highlandwolf2 .

With the new (old) North Bank in the background You can also see how far over the Billy Wright stand is built.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
The Way out sign, was that through those yellow narrow doors ...or were there an exit behind the Waterloo Road stand?
Logic says it would be strange to exit the ground via those yellow doors :)
Hi, good question - it’s the angle of the photograph, from memory there was a gap/passageway of approx 3m ish between the back of the stand and the turnstile yellow doors. The passageway allowed access onto the Waterloo road.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Hi, good question - it’s the angle of the photograph, from memory there was a gap/passageway of approx 3m ish between the back of the stand and the turnstile yellow doors. The passageway allowed access onto the Waterloo road.
Could those yellow doors be entrances to the stands then, or the loos?
They are so narrow, that they would fit the model of entrances back then...

Roger

Reaction score
This was a team, wasn’t it!!

Attachments

• 3124A17B-0813-441A-ABF7-3A5B1BAE3867.jpeg
    3124A17B-0813-441A-ABF7-3A5B1BAE3867.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 30

Passedit

Reaction score
Could those yellow doors be entrances to the stands then, or the loos?
They are so narrow, that they would fit the model of entrances back then...
The loos were further up to the left of those. There were turnstiles at the bottom of the alley in that area, so I imagine they were the doors to those. To the right, and facing Waterloo Road, was a large timber door (maybe sliding) or a pair of doors - can't remember exactly, which were opened at the final whistle. Through there led to the area between the WR footpath and the back of the WR stands. I seem to remember iron railing fencing at the back of the footpath. That whole area including W Road and the alley on both sides of the road was a maelstrom of fans leaving SB, WR and fans from the NB. It was better to wait a while before leaving.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’re the back of the turnstiles. As @GV Wolf said, there were larger doors to exit, not shown on the photo.
But equally those "narrow doors", sorry but I find that a quaint description, would have also have been cleared open for some time before the final whistle and also be exits.

Passedit

Reaction score
But equally those "narrow doors", sorry but I find that a quaint description, would have also have been cleared open for some time before the final whistle and also be exits.
The tunstiles were manually operated by the attendant using his foot, to let people in. I don't think they would operate in two directions.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The tunstiles were manually operated by the attendant using his foot, to let people in. I don't think they would operate in two directions.
I don't know what the mechanics are behind it, but I recall they were able to be lifted in some way to make a clear passage when not in use. Anyone on here have the same recollection, or is it just my age giving me false memory?

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't know what the mechanics are behind it, but I recall they were able to be lifted in some way to make a clear passage when not in use. Anyone on here have the same recollection, or is it just my age giving me false memory?
As far as I remember the turnstiles didn’t move so wouldn’t be used as exits. The large sliding exit gates were so big they wouldn’t have been needed anyway.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As far as I remember the turnstiles didn’t move so wouldn’t be used as exits. The large sliding exit gates were so big they wouldn’t have been needed anyway.
Correct. I remember the set up very clearly. There were very large exit doors which slid open. They were opened about half way through the 2nd half. You got out of the old South Bank pretty quickly, even when there was over 50,000 in the ground.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Fascinating stuff :).... being a 54 year old Finn I'm accustomed to track and field stadiums with one covered wooden stand accommodating 1500 spectators, and another uncovered stand at the other side having space for another 600 people. The rest leaning onto to a low fence around the tracks.
Nowadays we do have grounds like the New York Stadium in Rotherham, holding 5000-8000 spectators, but they are rarely even half-full.

Back
Top Bottom