Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nunes to City

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given the sums we've received for Neves and Nunes, versus what we've spent.

Realistically, how many years do you think it'll be before we break our transfer record again?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a decent deal, the upfront fee is good, as well as the likely discounts on Doyle's option price and Bueno's transfer fee.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Nunes do well there but as others have said, we were merely a stepping stone for him and I think that sometimes showed itself with his body language on the pitch.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given the sums we've received for Neves and Nunes, versus what we've spent.

Realistically, how many years do you think it'll be before we break our transfer record again?
Really hard to say as we don't seem to have a strategy.

The only thing I can guarantee is Fabio or say Gomes have a good season then they will be gone . Other teams challenging the top six haven't sold their star players as they have more of a plan and also develop their stadiums and training facilities .

However you look at it we don't have a strategy at the moment to move forward . Just to standstill and it is proven by the ground not just the managerial appointments or player signings.

a few seasons ago I would have said we are a top 8/10 Prem side I would say 12th to 20th now is our realistic goal due to the Project failing and having no backup plans .

stevev53

Reaction score
Well its true. We reportedly want 60 million, then agree to 47.
Try looking at the bigger picture . We get the money up front a large discount on 2 players . This probably equates to £60m . Plus most on here think Nunes was carp anyway

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can't use the funds for 3 seasons as the rules of FFP mean X Y and Z .

I am looking forward to hearing that type of corporate crap coming out once the window closes .

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Just put SSN on and Jay Bothroyd just said ‘ These opportunities don’t come along very often and he should be allowed to put his foot down to get what he wants by going on strike ‘No regard for the club who pay his wages ,his team mates or even the fans and the fact he was contracted here for another 4 years isn’t worth the paper it’s written on .
I just want him out my club !!!!

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keen suggests weve paid Sporting £1.5m and have made £15m, that figure wouldn’t include either the discounted players or, if they’ve paid up front, the potential interest payment savings.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whats less than 5 million? Are we paying a loan fee as well? I just think in the scheme of things, we could come out with a 7.5 million profit on him if he becomes a 30 million footballer. Thats not great.
I have been critical of the club but this is a good deal. If Doyle looks good we exercise the option. If he flops or, God forbid, we go down and have to cut our cloth we do not and have avoided wasting up to £15M which we would have spent in signing him as a stand-alone deal. We pay nothing until next summer in any event. Only if Doyle becomes a player worth more than £35M do we "lose" money on this deal.

I would add that the Nunes and Doyle fees involve cash in now and going out later. That statement ignores complex calculations on net present value, i.e. the value of cash now as opposed to later, which is an industry in its own right.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just put SSN on and Jay Bothroyd just said ‘ These opportunities don’t come along very often and he should be allowed to put his foot down to get what he wants by going on strike ‘No regard for the club who pay his wages ,his team mates or even the fans and the fact he was contracted here for another 4 years isn’t worth the paper it’s written on .
Footballers really don't live on the same planet as the rest of us do they?

Although to be fair supporters haven't helped matters by putting them on such a pedestal

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its pleasing we squeezed a bit more out of them. If we sign Doyle for £4.3m that is also worth another £6m imv in terms of his sell on value. So we are creeping close to £60m although Sporting get 10% of any profit unfortunately. Now how wisely can it be re-invested?|£15m has already gone on Santiago and Enso. If only we could finally get in a grown up striker to compete with Sasa and Fabio. We have waited three years.
On paper sales this summer have brought in some £145m-£100m alone for Neves and Nunes. So far we have had two frees in King and Doc and |£15m spent on Santiago and Enso. There should be at least £50m more to spend on reinforcements.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its pleasing we squeezed a bit more out of them. If we sign Doyle for £4.3m that is also worth another £6m imv in terms of his sell on value. So we are creeping close to £60m although Sporting get 10% of any profit unfortunately. Now how wisely can it be re-invested?|£15m has already gone on Santiago and Enso. If only we could finally get in a grown up striker to compete with Sasa and Fabio. We have waited three years.
On paper sales this summer have brought in some £145m-£100m alone for Neves and Nunes. So far we have had two frees in King and Doc and |£15m spent on Santiago and Enso. There should be at least £50m to spend on reinforcements.
Because the Doyle deal is separate but parallel Sporting get less. Had it been one deal they would have got more.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really hard to say as we don't seem to have a strategy.

The only thing I can guarantee is Fabio or say Gomes have a good season then they will be gone . Other teams challenging the top six haven't sold their star players as they have more of a plan and also develop their stadiums and training facilities .

However you look at it we don't have a strategy at the moment to move forward . Just to standstill and it is proven by the ground not just the managerial appointments or player signings.

a few seasons ago I would have said we are a top 8/10 Prem side I would say 12th to 20th now is our realistic goal due to the Project failing and having no backup plans .
There is no strategy as far as I can see. Sacking/removing Loptegui has blown all 'plans' out of the water.
For a club like Wolves the first aim is to remain in the Premier League. The second aim is to be clear of the bottom six avoiding panic stations. The third aim is to compete at 10-12 level-comfortable mid table. The fourth aim is to creep into the 6-8 places and perhaps sneak into the Europa League. That's about it.
At the moment we are in danger of being a bottom six club, narrowly avoiding relegation. Even the most optimistic would see us as a 13th or 14th placed club at best as things stand. We have been overtaken by Newcastle, Villa, Brighton, Brentford, Palace, West Ham and Fulham for starters - all of whom have strengthened significantly this summer. Luton, Sheff U and Burnley are definitely bottom six and you can probably add Bournemouth, Forest and Everton to that group with us just above them.

Last edited:

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m afraid a Fosun group in China are probably responsible for blowing our strategy out of the e water and we gain nothing now lamenting this. We have to put our trust in this alternative approach and hope that a team competent enough to make small progress beyond the bottom three can be developed and sustained at this stage. I’d be delighted with a solid 12th to 14th as things stand and hope that Fosun can either resume growth or sell us before next season. In the meantime the players need backing on the pitch. UTW…

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Good luck to the guy, it is a good deal for all parties.

Nunes will be a much better player there with Pep's coaching and understanding of where to play players. That plus being surrounded by better players at City, should help iron out some of the minor weaknesses we saw in his game, such as:

- turning into trouble
- running into blind alleys
- losing the ball in his own half
- taking on one player too many
- dribbling the ball off the pitch
- poor pass completion when going forward
- failing to track back when giving the ball away
- failing to track back when being tackled
- failing to track back, full stop
- slippy soles on the bottom of his boots, and
- no bottle

tchau, tchau

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A player who has potential to go on to develop further at the top level. Has nice feet and his main strength seems to be his ability to carry the ball and in doing so quickly move the play from the defensive to attacking third.

However I also feel he lacks that killer final ball or shot at the pivotal moment and hence his stat's are poor. His decision making in defensive areas can also be poor in terms of trying to take players on too many times and getting caught in possession (most frustratingly this can often be repeated a number of times within the same game). Maybe Pep's coaching and being surrounding by top level players (with the greatest of respect to our lads) will help him progress his game further in these areas. He'll also need to improve his often sulkish attitude.

Personally, I'd have been happy to have gotten our money back on him (subject to it being reinvested in the team) and so to have done that and also be getting a sweeter deal on 2 other decent players into the bargain sounds like we've done well.

I don't particularly wish him well and I think City fans are going to feel royally underwhelmed at their De Bruyne back-up (although in typical Wolves fashion I fully anticipate him transitioning into a world beater within a fortnight).

He may feel he's within his grounds to push for a move, however he could learn a lot from his fellow countryman Neves who was easily twice the player and conducted himself impeccably throughout his time with us despite I'm sure having numerous opportunity to move for bigger & better.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is no strategy as far as I can see. Sacking/removing Loptegui has blown all 'plans' out of the water.
For a club like Wolves the first aim is to remain in the Premier League. The second aim is to be clear of the bottom six avoiding panic stations. The third aim is to compete at 10-12 level-comfortable mid table. The fourth aim is to creep into the 6-8 places and perhaps sneak into the Europa League. That's about it.
At the moment we are in danger of being a bottom six club, narrowly avoiding relegation. Even the most optimistic would see us as a 13th or 14th placed club at best as things stand. We have been overtaken by Newcastle, Villa, Brighton, Brentford, Palace, West Ham and Fulham for starters - all of whom have strengthened significantly this summer. Luton, Sheff U and Burnley are definitely bottom six and you can probably add Bournemouth, Forest and Everton to that group with us just above them.
I'd dispute that all those clubs you mentioned have strengthened significantly or overtaken us. Palace lost their talisman and best player and haven't brought anyone significant in and West Ham lost Rice and have only just started the process of replacing him. Brentford have lost Toney for a significant chunk of the season and lost their starting keeper but brought in 3. Fulham have lost their best player and replaced him with a couple of gambles in Raul and Adama. I'd say all those clubs have just about stood still rather than strengthening.

We can't do anything about Newcastle. They are the property of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and have access to unlimited funds. Even a large multinational corporation is insignificant in comparison. Villa and Brighton are currently enjoying a run of success but as we know, that can change in a season.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how he does at City. Hasn't he been bought partly to replace/compete with Kalvin Philips? That's another who Pep rated highly, but has struggled to fit in with their team.

I know that players look better when surrounded by better players. And Pep (and/or his staff) are among the very best at developing players. But for us, Nunes has not really shown that he is near the level of City. He's going to have to go up two levels from what we've seen to get close to their first XI. As @Norwegian Wolf pointed out, he has a lot of weaknesses that we see several times *every* match. While his strengths, we were lucky to see once every 4 games. One nice run leaving 2 or 3 opponents behind , around the half way line, followed by ... well, not much.

Overall, under Fosun, I don't think we have a record of players transforming into world beaters after leaving. The likes of Jota, Goncalves wanted to leave anyway. Cav, Costa, Coady, Doc and plenty of others , have never done anything beyond what we saw here - often looking even worse. The jury still out on Collins , though it appears he was sold for financial needs ahead of footballing reasons. As for Ruben Vinagre...well. :p

TLDR: I wouldn't be surprised if Nunes underwhelms at City. Or at least, takes 2 or 3 seasons to make an impact. We can't afford that wait anyway.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but this is why Jay Bothroyd should not be given a platform as he makes pondlife look erudite

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think this graphic sums him up, and on a couple of those successful ones he in effect won a tackle rather than completed a take on.

He won’t be picking it up those very deep areas at City but when you lose it there you’re in trouble.

1693485084701.png

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how he does at City. Hasn't he been bought partly to replace/compete with Kalvin Philips? That's another who Pep rated highly, but has struggled to fit in with their team.

I know that players look better when surrounded by better players. And Pep (and/or his staff) are among the very best at developing players. But for us, Nunes has not really shown that he is near the level of City. He's going to have to go up two levels from what we've seen to get close to their first XI. As @Norwegian Wolf pointed out, he has a lot of weaknesses that we see several times *every* match. While his strengths, we were lucky to see once every 4 games. One nice run leaving 2 or 3 opponents behind , around the half way line, followed by ... well, not much.

Overall, under Fosun, I don't think we have a record of players transforming into world beaters after leaving. The likes of Jota, Goncalves wanted to leave anyway. Cav, Costa, Coady, Doc and plenty of others , have never done anything beyond what we saw here - often looking even worse. The jury still out on Collins , though it appears he was sold for financial needs ahead of footballing reasons. As for Ruben Vinagre...well. :p

TLDR: I wouldn't be surprised if Nunes underwhelms at City. Or at least, takes 2 or 3 seasons to make an impact. We can't afford that wait anyway.
I really think he will be great with City
He suits their style and will have more time on the ball as teams dont press them as high
Good luck to him never wanted to be here but showed some passion at least
Shame how it ended but we move on

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree with this. He will either become good at City or not play very much. We will see which it will be...but he doesn't seem to have that dog in him that I think Pep needs.

He also doesn't strike me as a player who excels at combining with others.

But city will win the league regardless, so who cares. They are kind of a blight on the rest of the division/country for me. I try to ignore the fact they are allowed to exist. Their matches bore me and their ownership situation is contemptible. Great manager and players though!

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think I have to commend The person that got £53 million.

Ronaldo wannabe but with little end product imo.

Apart from one goal could anyone really list what he has done over the last year .

Podence did more and he is a moody ****

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think I have to commend The person that got £53 million.

Ronaldo wannabe but with little end product imo.

Apart from one goal could anyone really list what he has done over the last year .

Podence did more and he is a moody ****
More Ronaldinho..
D3FDF004-8DA8-4913-B1A5-023FB860C9B7.jpeg
..in the teeth department.

Back
Top Bottom