Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nunes to City

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you listen to pep enough he throws that comment and someone pretty much every weekend. Do you think he’d be buying Nunes if DeBruyne wasn’t injured?
I've no idea. I can only go on what he said. Who else has he described as World class so far this season, then?

Madmalc

Reaction score
Gareth Bales holds the fastest dribbles of the ball speed record at around 23mph for a short burst.
Athletic professional footballers can run at upto 25-27.5mph which is why dribblers get good at beating more than one opponent, as they get surrounded, whilst the rest of the opposition team gets time to run back into defensive positions.
Most professional footballers can kick a foot ball at 70mph.
Guess which type of player gets more assists and goals, and which type of player slows the game down a dribbler or an exquisite passer of the ball.
Nunes is a great dribbler, Adama is a great dribbler, both have been accused of not producing enough end product.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gareth Bales holds the fastest dribbles of the ball speed record at around 23mph for a short burst.
Athletic professional footballers can run at upto 25-27.5mph which is why dribblers get good at beating more than one opponent, as they get surrounded, whilst the rest of the opposition team gets time to run back into defensive positions.
Most professional footballers can kick a foot ball at 70mph.
Guess which type of player gets more assists and goals, and which type of player slows the game down a dribbler or an exquisite passer of the ball.
Nunes is a great dribbler, Adama is a great dribbler, both have been accused of not producing enough end product.
Not sure on that.

Giggs and Best were fast and great dribblers with the ball at their feet and they certainly didn’t slow the game down and got plenty of goals and assists in their careers

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure on that.

Giggs and Best were fast and great dribblers with the ball at their feet and they certainly didn’t slow the game down and got plenty of goals and assists in their careers

Giggs was lightning earlier in his career, then gradually dropped backwards as he slowed down. The player that ended the career was totally different to the one that started it.....if he hadn't looked after his body missing all those ****ty Wales matches he would never have made it to 40.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems like a decent deal on the face of it. We have a profit, and a heavy discount on a young replacement player who has the opportunity to prove a point.
Lets hope we get back to first principles of team building utilising character, honesty and good attitudes.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can switch position easily from midfielder to striker to midfielder within six days.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm honestly more excited for Doyle then I was for seeing Nunes continue at Wolves. So I'm very happy this is about to be done.

A midfield of Gomes / Doyle has the potential to be very good for many years. I'm very excited.
I hope your excitement is justified.
Were you excited when Nunes came or Guedes came or Costa came or Podence came?
Maybe best to see how new players perform.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope your excitement is justified.
Were you excited when Nunes came or Guedes came or Costa came or Podence came?
Maybe best to see how new players perform.
I can't remember much about Guedes coming, lol.

Nunes, I was excited about what people said about him. Some people saying he was the best midfielder not in the Premier League. I wasn't impressed after.

I don't think I was crazy about Podence. He was fine.

Costa, obviously. But not cause I thought he was going to be good but because we didn't really have any strikers and it was worth a shot.

The most excited I've been for anyone was Gomes. And then maybe Sarabia cause I've seen him play many times.

I've seen Doyle a few times and always thought he stuck out. It was only the Championship though but we will see.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are so weak for backing down. 47 million is a joke, and the player they are giving us on the cheap has a 50% sell on clause. We are a laughing stock!
Getting 47 million up front is very, very good. Almost never happens.

And who cares if he has a 50% sell on? He costs next to nothing and if he ends up sucking in the Premier League, we don't even have to buy him.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well its true. We reportedly want 60 million, then agree to 47.

We also need replacements.
Since the Saudi money started rolling in, average players cost 3 times as much because the market has blown up.
Whether this Tommy Doyle is any good is immaterial, we have got a sweetheart deal that is costing us a lot less than it would have if we'd have bid for him (and preferably we want to spend no money right now).
If Wolves valued Doyle at 15 mill, there's your shortfall on Nunes.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We also need replacements.
Since the Saudi money started rolling in, average players cost 3 times as much because the market has blown up.
Whether this Tommy Doyle is any good is immaterial, we have got a sweetheart deal that is costing us a lot less than it would have if we'd have bid for him (and preferably we want to spend no money right now).
If Wolves valued Doyle at 15 mill, there's your shortfall on Nunes.

47 all up front, in our bank, plus a 15 million player for 5 million. This is a very good deal.

I just dont agree mate. 5 million would be a good deal if City didnt get 50% of the future fee or profit. If he does well, and we sell him for say 30 million, they get 12.5 million at worst.

All the crap about us having no money being put on display so publicly is so inept by our owners.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just dont agree mate. 5 million would be a good deal if City didnt get 50% of the future fee or profit. If he does well, and we sell him for say 30 million, they get 12.5 million at worst.

All the crap about us having no money being put on display so publicly is so inept by our owners.
And we get 12.5M for a 5M price. That's still good business compared to what we've been doing.

Or maybe Doyle becomes another Neves and he becomes a starter for us for 5+ years. Then who cares what kind of profit we make, to be honest.

Last edited:

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the economic situation in China is weighing very heavily on Fosun and their liquidity at the moment. I am pretty confident that 60m paid over three years (not absurd) would be worse for this window in terms of money spent than this lump sum today.

Plus a good young midfielder. And maybe a sweetheart deal on a defender?

It is a better deal than I hoped for (and I strongly suspect Fosun sell up within two years).

Madmalc

Reaction score
Not sure on that.

They were also exquisite passers of the ball, who didn't get accused of not producing enough end product.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You didn’t miss much ;)
I nearly bit, Steve Bull, probably one of the least technical players ever, but with the biggest ****ing heart and competitive soul, a completely different type of greatness this club has ever seen. Almost godlike.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Less than 5 million and payable next year, which is important when your current spending is resticted and over the limit allowed.
The amount of money we have or dont have is immaterial in the current situation.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Less than 5 million and payable next year, which is important when your current spending is resticted and over the limit allowed.
The amount of money we have or dont have is immaterial in the current situation.

Whats less than 5 million? Are we paying a loan fee as well? I just think in the scheme of things, we could come out with a 7.5 million profit on him if he becomes a 30 million footballer. Thats not great.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whats less than 5 million? Are we paying a loan fee as well? I just think in the scheme of things, we could come out with a 7.5 million profit on him if he becomes a 30 million footballer. Thats not great.

In addition, Wolves have agreed to sign City's England Under-21 international Tommy Doyle on loan, with the option of a £4.3m transfer that would include a huge sell-on clause for City.

We weren't in a great position with a bloke who won't play for us again. To get that amount of cash up front is unusual these days, and we have our extra 10 million in value (based on our own 15m valuation of Doyle).
The reason we cannot take all the profit from a potential future sale is because we cannot pay for all the player. That is fair.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We weren't in a great position with a bloke who won't play for us again. To get that amount of cash up front is unusual these days, and we have our extra 10 million in value (based on our own 15m valuation of Doyle).
The reason we cannot take all the profit from a potential future sale is because we cannot pay for all the player. That is fair.

Still dont agree. We dont yet know if its that 4.3 million you said or the 5 million quoted else where.

" City midfielder Tommy Doyle will move to Molineux in a separate transfer on loan with a £5m option to buy, though the precise details of both deals still need to be finalised ." From a different source.

We backed down on Nunes. Let a tantrum throwing snake get his own way. And just because we value Doyle at 15 million doesnt mean thats what we pay. We value Nunes by all accounts at 60 million but we arent getting that. Its also not smart giving them a 50% clause so basically, if he is a success, you can bet if we sell him for the 30 i think he will go for, City will be getting 17.5 million all up. Thats more than we value him at right now.

While i dont doubt having an unhappy players isnt ideal, I'm fairly confident, especially with us backing down, we are going to regret this deal big time.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Still dont agree. We dont yet know if its that 4.3 million you said or the 5 million quoted else where.

We backed down on Nunes. Let a tantrum throwing snake get his own way. And just because we value Doyle at 15 million doesnt mean thats what we pay. We value Nunes by all accounts at 60 million but we arent getting that. Its also not smart giving them a 50% clause so basically, if he is a success, you can bet if we sell him for the 30 i think he will go for, City will be getting 17.5 million all up. Thats more than we value him at right now.

While i dont doubt having an unhappy players isnt ideal, I'm fairly confident, especially with us backing down, we are going to regret this deal big time.

If, quite plausibly, Nunes' sale is the only thing that allows incomings, what would be your alternative? Hold a player against their will, disrupt the team dynamic further, not generate any additional income and not sign the 3-4 players we need to balance the squad?

If we were flushed with cash perhaps we could afford to play hard ball but blind freddy knows we are definitely not, quite the contrary, so it's just got the club at a seriously bad time.

Be realistic.
We aren't Brighton

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If, quite plausibly, Nunes' sale is the only thing that allows incomings, what would be your alternative? Hold a player against their will, disrupt the team dynamic further, not generate any additional income and not sign the 3-4 players we need to balance the squad?

If we were flushed with cash perhaps we could afford to play hard ball but blind freddy knows we are definitely not, quite the contrary, so it's just got the club at a seriously bad time.

Be realistic.
We aren't Brighton

Could be, but we have basically sent out the message to other clubs and to players we are pushovers. Throw a tantrum, go on strike and you get a cut price move. Madness.

And we arent Brighton because they dont cave. We do.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
City had us over a barrel and all parties knew it, so as grim as it is, this was probably the best result we were going to get. We can't be affording to take a moral stand in our position, sadly.

The one thing you can say is that the events of this summer, from Lopetegui to Nunes, may finally be the slap Fosun needed to realise that relying on Mendes and "connections" isn't the be-all, and that there are better ways to run a club. I look forward to seeing how much runway Hobbs gets to taxi on.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

" City midfielder Tommy Doyle will move to Molineux in a separate transfer on loan with a £5m option to buy, though the precise details of both deals still need to be finalised ." From a different source.

Okay, sure. Or we could have spent even 12 million on Doyle instead and if he bombs, we're screwed.

Getting him on the cheap and having the option to trigger it is huge. And the 50% sell on doesn't matter much because I'm sure Wolves want to keep Doyle if he impresses going forward. It's not like we will be looking to sell him. He's also homegrown, so he becomes a 30 million player, he will be worth even more.

And again I say, have you seen the business we've done before this year? How many players we were selling for even a 10 million profit? Not many.

We got 47 million up front of for a player who largely was still "potential" at 25 years of age. 1 goal, 1 assist in nearly 3000 minutes. He had as many red cards as he did goal contributions. While he was very, very good at carrying the ball and taking on players... that's where it ended. He wasn't creating chances for himself or teammates. He was pretty poor at passing.

If we're honest, there was a very high chance we'd lose money on Nunes if he played the year out at Wolves and we sold him next year.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don’t think you can make that case for the Doyle deal. A sell on clause is just that, a hedge on the potential future value of.a player. If he develops into a superstar, and City make another 25m from his future sale, that has little bearing on his current value. The simple fact is that to sign a young player with potential without a hefty sell on clause, then the buying club would need to pay more than his current market value, since the buying club is basically paying for his current value plus a risk discounted view on his future value. So in this case, we’re getting him at a roughly 10m discount to his current value, but City are retaining an interest in his future value. ie Nunes aside, had we bought him, then we likely would have paid 15m but City would still have retained the same sell on %

In addition, it’s structured as a loan with option, which adds value to us. We defer payment for 12 months, and we have the opportunity to try before buying, all without a loan fee. We hated the Adama loan to Barca, but this is a similar deal really.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you listen to pep enough he throws that comment and someone pretty much every weekend. Do you think he’d be buying Nunes if DeBruyne wasn’t injured?
Not right now, but as he isn't really anything like de bruyne i wouldn't be surprised if Bernardo Silva gets his move to Barca at some point.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cole Palmer is the dogs *******s with the ball at his feet. Quick, great vision and close control. Still developing physically but has the potential to be a Gareth Bale imho. Not yet the best at winning it back because he has learned his football at City and hasn’t had many high level minutes out of possession.
So am English Podence?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If, when the time comes, we're ****ed off at just how much City are making from the sale then it means he'll have been a cracking signing

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of the papers reckon we've caved-in to Man City demands regards Nunes .

Express - Nunes strike pays off.
Star - City steal Nunes.

Despite the creative accounting of some on 'ere; looks like much of the wider football world thinks it's a good deal for City and not so good for us.
Compared to the Caicedo transfer; I'd have to agree!

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Star - City steal Nunes.

Despite the creative accounting of some on 'ere; looks like much of the wider football world thinks it's a good deal for City and not so good for us.
Two absolute top quality newspapers known for their outstanding journalism

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Star - City steal Nunes.

Not exactly newspapers with a good track record of printing the truth!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two absolute top quality newspapers known for their outstanding journalism
Indeed, but read by millions who won't know the intricacies of the deal and will believe what the papers tell them!

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not that bothered about price any more with players. All irrelevant if the money isn't invested back in to the team.

Papers do, however, seem to be missing out on the fairly clear dodgy deal we are clearly pulling off - buying Girona (City owned club) CB for a very cheap price.

Good for us...bad for the autotelic beauty of football.

Sporting should be justifiably ****ed off

Back
Top Bottom