Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nunes to City

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll bite. Good loyal servant who stayed with us for longer than we all thought he would, and seemed to love the club, fans and area, ut also part of a turgid, sideways moving, negative midfield for the last 2 years.
Maybe you need new dentures?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad we didn’t award him a testimonial before he went.
No but Jeff at some point will, as with Jota, claim this is a fantastic deal for the club. Then spend a fortune on Silva and Semedo equivalents...
Its the quality players that make the difference in the Premier League- bar Cunha now we have noone. It means that the top 10 is always out of reach.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Swapping a potentially world class player for a few decent squad fillers….glass half empty ay I
He’s shown very little in 12 months to suggest he’s anywhere near world class. The fact that 3 managers haven’t trusted him to play in his preferred position tells a story itself

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No-one has even remotely said he's a world beater NOW. But he will go on to be one, trust.
Based on what? A great goal against Chelsea and a brilliant performance against utd. That’s literally all he’s done since he’s been here.

Pep has a great record in improving lazy looking players, he’s got his hands full with this one.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s shown very little in 12 months to suggest he’s anywhere near world class. The fact that 3 managers haven’t trusted him to play in his preferred position tells a story itself
That they are numpties.
I dunno, I think he was a big part in the wins against Chelsea and Brentford that ultimately got us over the line.
I'm also not convinced Lemina and Gomes have looked any good without him doing the amount of work he gets through.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pleased with this bit of business in the end. A great big wad of cash upfront + Doyle (who looks like he could be a bit of coup) + Bueno (back-up for Dawson and a potential successor). Couple more in with the cash and we're looking pretty healthy I think.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given what's going on, I'm actually hoping he leaves so we can get players "that want to be here." So, even 55 million + realistic add-ons would be fine with me.

Really hate when people don't act professionally - it's why I soured on Lopetegui, too. Wish more people were like Nuno.
While l can't justify what Nunes is reported to have done, "professionally" does not mean eat crap from your employer though.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The more I look at this I think its an excellent deal;
  1. £47m in cash up front is really significant, the interest gained compared to a instalment plan is huge as is the cash flow
  2. Getting Doyle for just £5m is excellent. Scott went for £25m and MGW went for £35m after similar seasons in the chump
  3. Doyle may not be as flashy as those two, but his numbers are impressive.
    1. He play 21 games to Scott's 40 scored three times the goals and got the same assists
    2. He gave the ball away half as often as Scott
    3. Had half the yellow cards.
    4. Had more Shots per game and more key passes
  4. Doyle without the Nunes deal would be £15m easy, we are not buying prime Neves, but he is going to better than Hodge (who can go out on loan when fit)
  5. The deal for the defender from a City group club must have been agreed, £8m instead of his £20m release clause
  6. This package = £47m upfront + £10m Doyle discount + £12m Defender Discount + Interest save on instalments (£6m mentioned)
  7. That is closer to a £70m package
  8. There are only half a dozen clubs in the world who could possibly pay more than this total package, this is an opportunity of a life time to get shot of someone who 99% of us though was another Mendes stuffing
People are going to see this based on their own views of the club, I am starting to think Hobbs has pulled a master stroke this window. People are seeing it as doom and gloom, but bring in the best part of £150m and saving huge wages completely re-structures the club - in what I believe to be a good way.

I just don't think loosing Nunes, Collins, Coady, Jimenez etc and the others is that big a deal. Neves is the only one that is a big loss, but it was always going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to have kept Adama, and Nunes if there was no bid, but I am not bothered about the rest.

If we have cleared £120m and end up with Doyle, the two south Americans, and a striker then I think its been as stella window for Hobbs -not without its risk of course, but unless you spend hundreds of millions you are never sure of success - look at Chelsea last year

Lets see what happen when the window closes, but I think this is going to be better than we could have hoped. I know everyone is not going to see it that way, but I am feeling hopeful.
Great but we have lost the cool maturity of Coady, Neves and Moutinho . Even the character of Costa and Jimmy .And I think that also has to be addressed.
Or we could end up like a marshmallow team . Kilman is not that man .

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No but Jeff at some point will, as with Jota, claim this is a fantastic deal for the club. Then spend a fortune on Silva and Semedo equivalents...
Its the quality players that make the difference in the Premier League- bar Cunha now we have noone. It means that the top 10 is always out of reach.
Re your last para l would add "nor prospect of signing any".

We laughed at West Brom taking a 'business decision' to avoid qualifying for Europe and settle for midtable. At best that is us now..... We all know what happened to them...

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll bite. Good loyal servant who stayed with us for longer than we all thought he would, and seemed to love the club, fans and area, ut also part of a turgid, sideways moving, negative midfield for the last 2 years.
Because he had to be with crap players all around him . We'd have gone down without him

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
€55m = £47m + no add-ons = £47m (minus the usual agents fees, and the profit we share with Sporting).

We may have got a discount on Bueno and 50% of Doyle though, so we'll done lads.
Yep even with no add ons,which tbh no one knows,the discount on those 2 is around £20 mil so above the £60 mil we wanted

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The midfielder who saved us last season??? Step forward Neves. A player who will always be welcomed and goes down as a legend!

Nunes, simply passed through.
Yes passed through like a bad pint

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has the petulant little **** got on his bike yet?
He's up there with Jamie O'Hara in the **** stakes for me. At least Nunes has a modicum of talent hidden somewhere, unlike Donkeyhara.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Only time will tell if Nunes makes a great footballer for Citeh, or remains looking like the midfield equivalent of Adama, like he did for us.
Great ball carrier, lacked end product with us.
We might be delighted with the sale in time.
Sour taste now, as he drove up the cost price we paid for him, by not wanting to come here, then lowered our sales price by not wanting to stay and going on strike.
If he does turn out to continue lacking end product, it would be Karma.

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly he won't though will he. He'll get the odd boo but that'll be it. Molineux is about as intimidating as Waitrose these days.
You haven't been in Stourbridge waitrose have you, I have my own bodguard when I go.

I don't remember hiring him, but whenever I go, there's always a bloke dressed in black wearing an earpiece who stays very close to me.
I assume he's watching my back?

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was kind of untenable once he went on strike. Too many games last season where he was pretty anonymous and even his bursts forward against Man Utd this season he had a tendency to not deliver with the final ball.
Excited to see how Doyle pans out for us and I do agree with the general direction of recruitment where we’re looking more at the UK and South American leagues as a better fit for the Premier League.
Other than the wonder strike home to Chelsea last season, I struggle to recall many other moments of excellence from Nunes. Bit of a punt from City in my opinion but I guess they can afford the risk.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pep disagrees, says he's one of the best players in the world. Still what does he know?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bit of a punt from City in my opinion but I guess they can afford the risk.
I agree. It seems likely it will take awhile to coach him into that role given that he doesn't play there currently for a reason, and it usually takes awhile for players to bed in under Pep's system anyway.

But hey, I'm just a guy on the Internet and pep is pep, so...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was kind of untenable once he went on strike. Too many games last season where he was pretty anonymous and even his bursts forward against Man Utd this season he had a tendency to not deliver with the final ball.
Excited to see how Doyle pans out for us and I do agree with the general direction of recruitment where we’re looking more at the UK and South American leagues as a better fit for the Premier League.
Other than the wonder strike home to Chelsea last season, I struggle to recall many other moments of excellence from Nunes. Bit of a punt from City in my opinion but I guess they can afford the risk.
When you look at how many South Americans successfully play in Spain or Portugal l don't quite see where the "better fit" comes from. Going straight to source rather than paying a fee to an lberian intermediary majes a lot of sense though.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everybody saying we got a discount on Bueno as though it’s a given, it may well be, but what’s the best evidence of this?

As without this discount imo it’s a **** deal and City have stood firm. Getting the payment up front is good but plenty of teams demand similar it’s not some holy grail - look at Bristol City’s demands with us. Nunes is a better player than Rice who has gone for 100m.

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
Everybody saying we got a discount on Bueno as though it’s a given, it may well be, but what’s the best evidence of this?

As without this discount imo it’s a **** deal and City have stood firm. Getting the payment up front is good but plenty of teams demand similar it’s not some holy grail - look at Bristol City’s demands with us. Nunes is a better player than Rice who has gone for 100m.
Nunes is not better than Rice lol.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nunes is not better than Rice lol.
Was waiting for somebody to come back on that. I think he is. Rice is good but overrated.

Nunes shouldn’t be judged as a player out of position in a turgid side fighting relegation. He has an immense and unique talent to break the lines from deep which not many can do.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was waiting for somebody to come back on that. I think he is. Rice is good overrated.

Nunes shouldn’t be judged player out of position in a turgid side fighting relegation. He has an immense and unique talent to break the lines from deep which not many can do.
He was absolutely ****e last season in every position he played in, bar a few appearances. Literally the only thing he does well is run with the ball, sometimes. Then when he gets past players he usually wastes the ball. I didn’t watch him every week at Sporting, so can’t comment on that, but at Wolves he has been poor.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Rice wasn't English he'd have gone for £35M maximum. Massively overrated.
I remember Chiesa literally knocking it past him from a standing start, then running around him the other way to beat him on the dribble in the Euro 2020 final.

If that had happened to Davinson Sanchez for example, he’d never play again

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
While l can't justify what Nunes is reported to have done, "professionally" does not mean eat crap from your employer though.
I presume you are talking about Lopetegui. I would bet dollars to donuts that Nuno had similar disagreements, but he didn't run to his buddy in the media and spread all the dirty laundry on the floor. It's disrespectful of the fans. By all means, if you have a principled disagreement, then you should leave - I just disagree with how he did it.

Back
Top Bottom