Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nottingham Forest v. Wolves 28th August 1976

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is a memorable game, but sadly the football played a secondary role this ill fated day.

Wolves had been relegated from the old first division in May. Wolves legendary manager Bill McGarry sadly paid the price. Relieved of his duties, his assistant Sammy Chung was appointed first team Manager.

Wolves had [as was the case in those days] kept hold of their star players in readiness for a quick return to the top flight.

The season had started somewhat disappointingly; the first two games were pitched against their fellow relegatees. A scoreless home draw Burnley. Then a 2-2 draw away
against Shef Utd.

Next up Forest away. Forest were in the process of being rebuilt by a certain Brian Clough.
Clough had taken over the previous. January and steered them towards a modest mid table position. Now Clough had been reunited in pre season with his erstwhile assistant Peter Taylor. This should be the starting point for Damned Utd-The sequel.

Yet, fans of Wolves contemplating their journey to the City Ground, there was always a sense of trepidation.

Crowd disorder in the mid 70’s had moved through to a dangerous phase which would lead to the dreadful episodes of the 80’s.

Most clubs in the mid 70’s had experienced bouts of crowd disorder. Some worse than others. Hooliganism was moving through a more serious phase. A lot of clubs had seen hooligan elements decamp from their traditional ‘home ends’ into the ‘away end’

Indeed Wolves supporters were beginning to be involved in a number of serious outbreaks of disorder notably in the South Bank.

For younger supporters reading this, segregation then was at best a thin line of policemen, or at some grounds nothing at all.

For most away supporters of this period the journey from train, coach and car was made without supervision.
Once inside the ground most away fans would pay on the turnstile to what would be a ‘historic’ away end and would experience little trouble.

That was changing in the mid 70’s with away ends attracting ‘elements of hostile home support’

Some clubs were notorious away days, notably London Clubs along with Liverpool and Manchester. The usual rule of thumb in those days for attending the afore mentioned grounds was to adopt a low profile. For example forming a raucous choir in the score board end of Old Trafford in the early 70’s would be risking life and limb.

Nottingham Forest away on the 28th August was what the Americans would describe a ‘perfect storm’

A handful of police on duty. Stewards were still years away. No fences to segregate fans, a Forest Ground which allowed supporters once in to access any terracing in the ground.

And worse a group of supporters who were fast gaining a reputation for serious crowd disorder. Add into that a number of previous crowd disorder incidents featuring Wolves and Forest fans, and you had the recipe for serious trouble.

Three friends and I set off from Bridgnorth in a beat up old mini. After parking up some way from the ground it soon became clear whilst walking to the ground that serious trouble was brewing.

As we made our way past the Bridgford stand towards the [since named Brian Clough stand]. The Bridgford stand then was an uncovered open terrace. As a few Wolves coaches began to disgorge a boisterous mob. A sort of chanting standoff aimed at Forest fans occupying the Bridgford stand soon turned ugly. The forest fans charged down the terrace towards the stand exit points. Then, proceeded to rip the gates apart. Yes that's right ripped off the gates of their own stand to attack the Wolves fans baiting them in the adjacent car park. After a melee that lasted some time, Police intervention saw the Forest fans retreat back to where they'd came from leaving the beleaguered Wolves fans to queue into the Brian Clough Stand. Just when you thought it would be safer in the ground. The forest mob poured under the Brian Clough stand and started attacking Wolves fans as they came through the turnstiles!

That was the final straw for quite a few of us. We decided to take our chance by entering the Bridgford stand on the other side of the ground. Incognito with colours hidden we were able to enter the ground only to witness a large group of Wolves fans under siege in the Lower Terracing of the Brian Clough Stand. Without Police intervention, it resembled a kind of Rorkes Drift with scores of Forest fans literally queuing up to attack the group of Wolves fans pinned against the seating tier behind them.

As for ourselves we stood incognito in the Bridgford Road end our scarves stuffed in our pockets.
As the teams limbered up we just prayed for the full time whistle to blow 0-0.

Bobbie Gould [in his second spell at the club] put Wolves up two up within 30 minutes. The first goal lit the fuse the second ignited the blast. Wolves fans who had slipped into the Bridgford Road end incognito suddenly found themselves under siege. Forest fans up for the fight surged around the ground towards the flash point which had moved into the corner of the Bridgford road end.
Wolves fans heavily outnumbered were forced onto the pitch. The game was halted whilst police reinforcements tried to restore order. At one point Brian Clough had a forest hooligan in a head lock. Even coaching staff tried to help the police to restore order.

Finally the Police, who could not prevent the hostile Forest fans from spilling onto the pitch, decided that they could not guarantee the safety of the remaining Wolves fans.

The remnants of visible Wolves support were forced to leave the ground through the players tunnel, leaving a shell shocked Cloughie appealing for calm from the centre circle.

This match for me and my friends was the most terrifying experience ever at a football match. Never have I remained completely motionless when Wolves have scored, and that day was my only experience of ever cheering an away goal.

We were able to survive that day suffering a few bruises, but we were luckier than a lot of Wolves fans that day.

How that day never ended in a fatality is a miracle.

The game finished 3-1 to Wolves with Steve Daly scoring the third. Forest went onto gain promotion along with Wolves and Chelsea that season. For Forest it was the dawn of an unprecedented era. For Wolves the late 70’s should have ushered a similar re birth. Sadly it did not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for that - a shocking story, but as you say not particularly unusual at the time.

But it was a memorable season - in the most part for footballing reasons - us winning the 2nd Division title in the second-to-last-game at home to Chelsea. And then, the icing on the cake, beating Bolton at Burnden Park on the last day of the season to stop Bolton going up, and Forest creeping in through the back door instead ... which, of course with-the-benefit-of-hindsight, made those actions by the Forest fans you describe in the late August game yet more difficult to comprehend.

As my profession in those days was [London based] schoolboy & paperboy my 2 pounds 20 a week was only enough to let me get up to Molineux once every couple of months. But I remember the cracking 3-3 away 'top-two' draw at Chelsea just before Xmas [we were 3-1 up with about 10 mins to go so it endeda disappointment], more quite serious violence in the away game with Charlton, the 5-1 home game against Fulham [George Best and all], the disappointment of losing at home to Leeds in the FA Cup quarter final with a 50,000 crowd [probably the last 50,000 gate we ever had at Molineux]. Wolves even won the 'Daily Express 5-a-sides' competition at Wembley that year - which is an event remembered probably only by me ! But all the first team players were involved [or at least 5 or them!] - of course, for insurance / injury reasons, would never be allowed to happen nowadays [as indeed neither would that excellent TV show of the day, 'Superstars'].

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Didn't we win the Daily Express competition 2 years in a row? Whatever happened to that competition. Quite a prestigious competition in those days. All the top clubs fielded their strongest sides. The fact that it was 'live' added to the appeal.

Needless to say satelite TV was probably responsible for the competition's demise. BBC did the screening I think?

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're probably right ... it may well have been 2 in a row ... I don't remember. But I do remember we won the 76 / 77 cup just after we'd got stuffed 6-2 by Southampton. It's funny how some things stick in your memory ?

tiggerkev

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is a memorable game, but sadly the football played a secondary role this ill fated day.

Wolves had been relegated from the old first division in May. Wolves legendary manager Bill McGarry sadly played the price. Relieved of his duties, his assistant Sammy Chung was appointed first team Manager.

Wolves had [as was the case in those days] kept hold of their star players in readiness for a quick return to the top flight.

The season had started somewhat disappointingly; the first two games were pitched against their fellow relegatees. A scoreless home draw Burnley. Then a 2-2 draw away
against Shef Utd.

Next up Forest away. Forest were in the process of being rebuilt by a certain Brian Clough.
Clough had taken over the previous. January and steered them towards a modest mid table position. Now Clough had been reunited in pre season with his erstwhile assistant Peter Taylor. This should be the starting point for Damned Utd-The sequel.

Yet, fans of Wolves contemplating their journey to the City Ground, there was always a sense of trepidation.

Crowd disorder in the mid 70’s had moved through to a dangerous phase which would lead to the dreadful episodes of the 80’s.

Most clubs in the mid 70’s had experienced bouts of crowd disorder. Some worse than others. Hooliganism was moving through a more serious phase. A lot of clubs had seen hooligan elements decamp from their traditional ‘home ends’ into the ‘away end’

Indeed Wolves supporters were beginning to be involved in a number of serious outbreaks of disorder notably in the South Bank.

For younger supporters reading this, segregation then was at best a thin line of policemen, or at some grounds nothing at all.

For most away supporters of this period the journey from train, coach and car was made without supervision.
Once inside the ground most away fans would pay on the turnstile to what would be a ‘historic’ away end and would experience little trouble.

That was changing in the mid 70’s with away ends attracting ‘elements of hostile home support’

Some clubs were notorious away days, notably London Clubs along with Liverpool and Manchester. The usual rule of thumb in those days for attending the afore mentioned grounds was to adopt a low profile. For example forming a raucous choir in the score board end of Old Trafford in the early 70’s would be risking life and limb.

Nottingham Forest away on the 28th August was what the Americans would describe a ‘perfect storm’

A handful of police on duty. Stewards were still years away. No fences to segregate fans, a Forest Ground which allowed supporters once in to access any terracing in the ground.

And worse a group of supporters who were fast gaining a reputation for serious crowd disorder. Add into that a number of previous crowd disorder incidents featuring Wolves and Forest fans, and you had the recipe for serious trouble.

Three friends and I set off from Bridgnorth in a beat up old mini. After parking up some way from the ground it soon became clear whilst walking to the ground that serious trouble was brewing.

As we made our way past the Bridgford stand towards the [since named Brian Clough stand]. The Bridgford stand then was an uncovered open terrace. As a few Wolves coaches began to disgorge a boisterous mob. A sort of chanting standoff aimed at Forest fans occupying the Bridgford stand soon turned ugly. The forest fans charged down the terrace towards the stand exit points. Then, proceeded to rip the gates apart. Yes that's right ripped off the gates of their own stand to attack the Wolves fans baiting them in the adjacent car park. After a melee that lasted some time, Police intervention saw the Forest fans retreat back to where they'd came from leaving the beleaguered Wolves fans to queue into the Brian Clough Stand. Just when you thought it would be safer in the ground. The forest mob poured under the Brian Clough stand and started attacking Wolves fans as they came through the turnstiles!

That was the final straw for quite a few of us. We decided to take our chance by entering the Bridgford stand on the other side of the ground. Incognito with colours hidden we were able to enter the ground only to witness a large group of Wolves fans under siege in the Lower Terracing of the Brian Clough Stand. Without Police intervention, it resembled a kind of Rorkes Drift with scores of Forest fans literally queuing up to attack the group of Wolves fans pinned against the seating tier behind them.

As for ourselves we stood incognito in the Bridgford Road end our scarves stuffed in our pockets.
As the teams limbered up we just prayed for the full time whistle to blow 0-0.

Bobbie Gould [in his second spell at the club] put Wolves up two up within 30 minutes. The first goal lit the fuse the second ignited the blast. Wolves fans who had slipped into the Bridgford Road end incognito suddenly found themselves under siege. Forest fans up for the fight surged around the ground towards the flash point which had moved into the corner of the Bridgford road end.
Wolves fans heavily outnumbered were forced onto the pitch. The game was halted whilst police reinforcements tried to restore order. At one point Brian Clough had a forest hooligan in a head lock. Even coaching staff tried to help the police to restore order.

Finally the Police, who could not prevent the hostile Forest fans from spilling onto the pitch, decided that they could not guarantee the safety of the remaining Wolves fans.

The remnants of visible Wolves support were forced to leave the ground through the players tunnel, leaving a shell shocked Cloughie appealing for calm from the centre circle.

This match for me and my friends was the most terrifying experience ever at a football match. Never have I remained completely motionless when Wolves have scored, and that day was my only experience of ever cheering an away goal.

We were able to survive that day suffering a few bruises, but we were luckier than a lot of Wolves fans that day.

How that day never ended in a fatality is a miracle.

The game finished 3-1 to Wolves with Steve Daly scoring the third. Forest went onto gain promotion along with Wolves and Chelsea that season. For Forest it was the dawn of an unprecedented era. For Wolves the late 70’s should have ushered a similar re birth. Sadly it did not.

I remember it well. I was one of many who never got into the ground. After the game we were at the coach park and the coppers said we had better take cover as the Forrest fans were on thier way. As bricks began to rain down on us the coppers took cover in adjacent houses. It was a windy drive back to Wolvo.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having been at the game I clearly remember for months afterwards the song was "Wait till Forest come to Molineux". The South Bank was a tasty place to be in the return game which we won 2-1. Looking back this match could probably have heralded the beginning of the move to the South Bank? Whenever we have played Forest since there always seems to be an edge to the games. Everyone I know my age has certainly never forgotten that day in Nottingham.

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Having been at the game I clearly remember for months afterwards the song was "Wait till Forest come to Molineux". The South Bank was a tasty place to be in the return game which we won 2-1. Looking back this match could probably have heralded the beginning of the move to the South Bank? Whenever we have played Forest since there always seems to be an edge to the games. Everyone I know my age has certainly never forgotten that day in Nottingham.

Yes, Burton 'The Wait till Forest come to Molineux' became a manic anthem in the weeks after this game.

The game immediatley following the Forest game was Shefield Wednesday at home in the League Cup. Shell shocked Wednesday fans reaped an awful backlash from the Wolves Fans.

Regarding Wolves 'presence' [that is a high percentage of fans looking for trouble] in the South Bank.

It was a gradual phase as I recall. High risk games where teams brought huge numbers [Man Utd et al] to Molineux naturally did not attract Wolves supporters looking for trouble in the South Bank.
Your QPR's and Norwich bracket of teams did attract Wolves fans into the South Bank in search of confrontation.

The first game I recall where wholesale trouble occured [which has been disputed in similar discussions before] was Wolves v Arsenal 30-08-75. A sizable group of Wolves fans fought running battles with their Arsenal counterparts across the South Bank. I remember this game in particular because I went with an Aussie Arsenal fan, or at least a vulnerable diminutive lad who had a passing interest in Arsenal, and wanted to sample a real game.
In answer to his concerns regarding possible hooliganism.
'Don't worry you won't see any trouble in this part of the ground' :embarassed:

How wrong I was.

R

reanswolf

Wolves first went into the South bank as a mob permanently in 1976-77 season as far as I recall, though mobs used to come into the SB from the NB towards the end of the game in 1975 and 76.The Doogs last game in 1975 V Leeds resulted in the Leeds mob being chased off the SB. So I disagree that it only occurred against the likes of Norwich and QPR. There was no fence in the SB to seperate home and away fans until 1977-78 season, meaning a few years of battles between fans on an open terrace. Wolves v Chelsea, v Leeds, V West Ham, V Everton, v Man Utd certainly stand out in my memory, and the return fixture v Forest was also very fiesty that same season and the season after when Forest brought around 5000. Forest were as game a mob of fans as I have seen and they certainly did not get the beating Wolves fans received at Nottingham. It was incredibly hostile though, with both sets of fans being comprise dof miners/ steelworkers etc. West ham were th eonly team I recall taking the South Bank from the time Wolves made it a home end, though that was at about 2.30pm before Wolves fans arrived on mass. Teams like Manure, Villa, Leeds use dto bring around 8000 making it a very lively afternoon. I am afraid stabbings were commonplace in those days, I recall 7 Stoke fans being wounded during fighting in the Boothen End. And a Man Utd fan nearly died after being stabbed in the George.

Away from Molineux around that time I recall serious problems at Stoke 2 or 3 times, Coventry, West Brom, Birmingham, Leicester, Derby, and Bolton, and also at Villa Park when Wolves played Arsenal in the Cup semi -final.

Shocking really when you think back, just how lawless and out of control some football fans were before CCTV and a little police intelligence.

I

itsonlyagame

Was anyone in the coach park after the Wolves v Spurs FA Cup Semi Replayt at Highbury in 1981? I was"! Bloody cold trip back to Wolves that was!

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wolves first went into the South bank as a mob permanently in 1976-77 season as far as I recall, though mobs used to come into the SB from the NB towards the end of the game in 1975 and 76.The Doogs last game in 1975 V Leeds resulted in the Leeds mob being chased off the SB. So I disagree that it only occurred against the likes of Norwich and QPR. There was no fence in the SB to seperate home and away fans until 1977-78 season, meaning a few years of battles between fans on an open terrace. Wolves v Chelsea, v Leeds, V West Ham, V Everton, v Man Utd certainly stand out in my memory, and the return fixture v Forest was also very fiesty that same season and the season after when Forest brought around 5000. Forest were as game a mob of fans as I have seen and they certainly did not get the beating Wolves fans received at Nottingham. It was incredibly hostile though, with both sets of fans being comprise dof miners/ steelworkers etc. West ham were th eonly team I recall taking the South Bank from the time Wolves made it a home end, though that was at about 2.30pm before Wolves fans arrived on mass. Teams like Manure, Villa, Leeds use dto bring around 8000 making it a very lively afternoon. I am afraid stabbings were commonplace in those days, I recall 7 Stoke fans being wounded during fighting in the Boothen End. And a Man Utd fan nearly died after being stabbed in the George.

Away from Molineux around that time I recall serious problems at Stoke 2 or 3 times, Coventry, West Brom, Birmingham, Leicester, Derby, and Bolton, and also at Villa Park when Wolves played Arsenal in the Cup semi -final.

Shocking really when you think back, just how lawless and out of control some football fans were before CCTV and a little police intelligence.

That is a fairly accurate assessment Reans, yet whilst I appreciate there were occasional confrontations when the gates opened before the end of games.

Pre 76-77 season I still maintain that what you refer to as a Wolves 'mob' did not make their presence known against the big sides pre-76-77. That is paying to get on the South Bank.

The Arsenal game was an exception rather than the rule. Wolves fans or at least those looking for trouble would gauge before certain matches wether a sizable enough mob would enter the South bank before the game rather than make a concerted 'rush' from the North bank towards ther enfd of the Games.

Towards the end of the 75'76' season there were games where Wolves 'mob' had entered the South bank with a view to trouble only to discover that they were heavily outnumbered, choosing a lower profile on the Molineux street wing of the South bank.

In fact the game I refer to against Arsenal began in that very manner. The Wolves mob outnumbered at first were low profile. Then an early confrontation with like minded Arsenal fans resulted in Wolves gaining the upper hand as it were leading to tothe trouble I described earlier.

R

reanswolf

That is a fairly accurate assessment Reans, yet whilst I appreciate there were occasional confrontations when the gates opened before the end of games.

Pre 76-77 season I still maintain that what you refer to as a Wolves 'mob' did not make their presence known against the big sides pre-76-77. That is paying to get on the South Bank.

The Arsenal game was an exception rather than the rule. Wolves fans or at least those looking for trouble would gauge before certain matches wether a sizable enough mob would enter the South bank before the game rather than make a concerted 'rush' from the North bank towards ther enfd of the Games.

Towards the end of the 75'76' season there were games where Wolves 'mob' had entered the South bank with a view to trouble only to discover that they were heavily outnumbered, choosing a lower profile on the Molineux street wing of the South bank.

In fact the game I refer to against Arsenal began in that very manner. The Wolves mob outnumbered at first were low profile. Then an early confrontation with like minded Arsenal fans resulted in Wolves gaining the upper hand as it were leading to tothe trouble I described earlier.

Yeah I agree, when they chased the Leeds mob on the South bank they actually came round from the North Bank (end of 74-75).

Start of 1976-77 in the second division was the first time I remember Wolves having a mob that paid to go in the South bank. Some still favoured the North bank for a year or two but I think the more active lads favoured the South Bank - no fence and matches against Leeds in the FA Cup QF in front of 50,000, Chelsea last game, and Forest were extremely tasty to say the least, as there was no fence. The following year I believe it was the same until either the last game but one or two of that 1977-78 season, or the following season in 1978-79. I do not recall anyone taking the South Bank except West Ham in 1978 at 2.30pm, but not by kick off.

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was a strange thing the gradual exodus from the North to the South Bank. During the relegation season of 76' the number of exiles gradually started to grow.

I suppose it seemed like an exciting enterprise viewing from the North Bank. Almost like a pioneering spirit:D 'O.k. lads we'll be moving over next game'.

The start of the Div'2 season was the tipping point to full membership of the South Bank for many North bankers. Due in no small part to the resolution that the humiliating debacle of seeing Liverpool fans occupy the South Bank and then celebrate wildly on the pitch should never be repeated without some resistence. Or at least that was the thinking back in those days. Sad but true.

M

majorwally

Remember it well!
As if it were yesterday.

We went by train and it was delayed.
We got in at the open end about 15 mins late, wolves already 1-0.

I mean there was a lot of us, but the Forest just walked round from the side end and murdered us.
It was only my 3rd ever away game and I have never seen since a complete battering as that.
I and 3 of my mates had to hide the whole match right down the front.
Even then Forest fans were goading us. We had to make friends with some older ones who took pity on us and led us back to the train station.
On the way we watched Forest fans searching, finding and battering many wolves fans.

I have never seen Wolves get that sort of battering again, certainly not that season, although Chelsea away was a bit scary. But that's another story!

tiggerkev

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have never seen Wolves get that sort of battering again, certainly not that season, although Chelsea away was a bit scary. But that's another story!

Was at that one as well. A right couple of threatening away days.

R

reanswolf

Forest were surprisingly nasty that era, i remember them taking everything that the south bank put at them the two seasons after that, they brought around 5-6000 both times. They wouldnt budge an inch and gave as good as they got. That day at the city ground sounds well scary.

M

majorwally

Reanswolf, As a self confessed member of the South bank in those days I feel in a position to question your memory.

You state West Ham took the south bank in 1978, well, you must mean 1977 as we didn't play them in 78.
I went to the match against west ham and I can definitely say, West Ham didn't take the South Bank. There was a serious amount of fighting but each held their own.

In those few years before the fence went up, I saw many away fans run out of the South bank, Leeds boxing day 1977 being the pinnacle if you like. They started with 3000 and at the end there was none left such was the ferouciousness of the South bank in those days.
Cardiff and Coventry were also run out.

Can you imagine a thin blue line of police that didn't want to really be there trying to cope with 5,000 south bankers?

I'm not trying to glorify it in case anyone is horrified, just telling the facts like it happened.

So, Reanswolf, unless I missed something very unlikely, I reckon your memory has gone a bit mate.
Although I did hear West Ham took the North bank in the 70's, never saw that one, but I was there when Chelsea "took" it in the 80's. I say took it, but what they actually did was leave the South bank early and invade the North bank which was full of women and kids and people not associated with violence in anyway. A pitiful bout of cowardness by the Chelsea lot that didn't go down too well with the main Wolves boys.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reanswolf, As a self confessed member of the South bank in those days I feel in a position to question your memory.

You state West Ham took the south bank in 1978, well, you must mean 1977 as we didn't play them in 78.
I went to the match against west ham and I can definitely say, West Ham didn't take the South Bank. There was a serious amount of fighting but each held their own.

In those few years before the fence went up, I saw many away fans run out of the South bank, Leeds boxing day 1977 being the pinnacle if you like. They started with 3000 and at the end there was none left such was the ferouciousness of the South bank in those days.
Cardiff and Coventry were also run out.

Can you imagine a thin blue line of police that didn't want to really be there trying to cope with 5,000 south bankers?

I'm not trying to glorify it in case anyone is horrified, just telling the facts like it happened.

So, Reanswolf, unless I missed something very unlikely, I reckon your memory has gone a bit mate.
Although I did hear West Ham took the North bank in the 70's, never saw that one, but I was there when Chelsea "took" it in the 80's. I say took it, but what they actually did was leave the South bank early and invade the North bank which was full of women and kids and people not associated with violence in anyway. A pitiful bout of cowardness by the Chelsea lot that didn't go down too well with the main Wolves boys.

We all have different memories of matches major. I remember lots of incidents in the late 70's early 80's and very rarely talk about them these days.

I remember Leeds Boxing Day 1977 I was in the South Bank that day.

But I'm afraid your memory is failing you as the infamous Chelsea North Bank invasion was the first home game of the 78/79 season a night match. Trust me I know as I fought with them on Molineux Street when they came out.

J

Jungleee

We all have different memories of matches major. I remember lots of incidents in the late 70's early 80's and very rarely talk about them these days.

But I'm afraid your memory is failing you as the infamous Chelsea North Bank invasion was the first home game of the 78/79 season a night match. Trust me I know as I fought with them on Molineux Street when they came out.

I hope you get nicked when you enter the mol against Newcastle for admitting that! It's scum like you who ruin the game for everyone! :rolleyes:

M

majorwally

Christ, was it that early?
I didn't realise the fences went up that early, as I remember they were over the fence to our right (looking at the pitch from the south bank)

R

reanswolf

Hi Majorwally, the season i was told west ham ran the wolves on the south bank was 1977-78 season match ended 2-2. I am not saying they took it when Wolves were in there, but at about 2.15pm or 2.30pm. I was not in the ground so cannot say if it was true. No big deal at 2.30pm anyway.

I agree what you say about Chelsea only taking the north bank that even then was the 'old mans' end. But they were seriously tough mob, I rated them most alongside Forest, Everton, Spurs, even Villa. Manure and Leeds matches were always mad uns but as we know Wolves in them days were seriously disturbed and well menkal. But that is when working class Wolverhampton & Bilston/Tipton attended en masse.

M

majorwally

Hi Reans,

We will have to disagree about this one. That was definitely the match I was at and neither me or any of my mates can remember anything like what you say happened.
Then again, I don't think we got in the ground till 2.30 and even then we would have been in the concourse under the stand (where a lot of the action used to take place you may remember)
So as you say, no glory in running a few wolves if thats what happened.

Just out of interest, where did you get this info from?
Your not getting mixed up with the rumour that west ham took the north bank in 72 I think they say (don't know about this myself, too young)?
Perhaps others can enlighten us.

Indeed my recollection of the disorder of that 77/78 match was one of toe to toe action, with nothing gained or given.
When I think back to these years and the action that took place, I always think of Leeds home boxing day as the total massacre that they received and West Ham for neither side willing to give in.
And in my view West Ham were awesome in those days, so to even contemplate being equal with them even on home ground was a major achievement.

Sorry if this seems a tad ridiculous to some perhaps younger members, but this was the way of life these days, no escorts to and from grounds on nice clean coaches and trains, you had to fight your way in and out of some grounds, trains and coaches!

J

Jungleee

Sorry if this seems a tad ridiculous to some perhaps younger members, but this was the way of life these days, no escorts to and from grounds on nice clean coaches and trains, you had to fight your way in and out of some grounds, trains and coaches!

Doesn't pal, we've grown up on these stories!

R

reanswolf

Hi Reans,

We will have to disagree about this one. That was definitely the match I was at and neither me or any of my mates can remember anything like what you say happened.
Then again, I don't think we got in the ground till 2.30 and even then we would have been in the concourse under the stand (where a lot of the action used to take place you may remember)
So as you say, no glory in running a few wolves if thats what happened.

Just out of interest, where did you get this info from?
Your not getting mixed up with the rumour that west ham took the north bank in 72 I think they say (don't know about this myself, too young)?
Perhaps others can enlighten us.

Indeed my recollection of the disorder of that 77/78 match was one of toe to toe action, with nothing gained or given.
When I think back to these years and the action that took place, I always think of Leeds home boxing day as the total massacre that they received and West Ham for neither side willing to give in.
And in my view West Ham were awesome in those days, so to even contemplate being equal with them even on home ground was a major achievement.

Hi mate
well I was just a kid, and it was just what I was told, but you seem to be better informed to be honest, so if it happened at 2.15pm then that ay nothing special is it, before Wolves lads got in.

What did you think of Forest that season at Molineux? And the season after infact. Very impressive!

M

majorwally

Hi Mate,

From what I remember of those matches, they more than held their own.
Nothing gained nothing lost from our point of view and cementing their reputation no doubt from their point of view.

Have to say the season following the mauling at Forest, we took thousands and although it was tough going, they never got that surprise factor in so we held our own their also. But it was a very long walk back to their train station with lots going on.

Did you go to Exeter in the Cup 78?
Complete mayhem.
Prob need to start another thread just for that.
Don't think those nice folk from Exeter could believe what they were seeing.
I've seen Wolves badly behaved but that was something else.
It was also the start of the KKK nonsense (but thats another story).

R

reanswolf

Hi Mate,

From what I remember of those matches, they more than held their own.
Nothing gained nothing lost from our point of view and cementing their reputation no doubt from their point of view.

Have to say the season following the mauling at Forest, we took thousands and although it was tough going, they never got that surprise factor in so we held our own their also. But it was a very long walk back to their train station with lots going on.

Did you go to Exeter in the Cup 78?
Complete mayhem.
Prob need to start another thread just for that.
Don't think those nice folk from Exeter could believe what they were seeing.
I've seen Wolves badly behaved but that was something else.
It was also the start of the KKK nonsense (but thats another story).

I remember seeing the KKK hoods at Exeteron the news, bad stuff and all pretty crazy that day.

Perhaps the madest days I remember were away at Stoke, when Wolves went in the boothen end in 1975, if I recall 4 stoke fans got stabbed. Loads of trouble in the boothen paddock around 1979 too, on two seasons running with mobs of Wolves and stoke steaming into each other.

M

majorwally

Mentioning the cup of 78, another one was Arsenal away 1978
The infamous clock end battle!

What a load of old bullucks!
We bottled it big time mate.
I was ashamed to be Wolves that day I can tell you.

We were massed in the clock end and who turns up Chelsea!
What did some of our lot do, sing come and join us to them.
We wanted to fight them and some of us wanted to play with them.

Anyway, they got stopped by old bill or just couldn't be bothered with us more like.
Bob Hazell got sent off near the end and we lost.
I was in the front line as we started out of the clock end. Arsenal came up the road right into our faces, almost into the stand itself and we bottled it big time. I can still see them laughing at how $$$$$$$ we were. If we had backed off any more we would have ended up back in Wolvo.
Terrible day!

Don't know where the main boys were, but they weren't with me that's for sure.
I got a load of bottled it stories but you prob don't want to hear them, mainly ****neys for some reason.
Tottenham was another we always bottled it against, can't remember one decent result against them.

Tell you what, being a Wolves fan was one of a roller coaster ride them days.

R

reanswolf

Anyway, they got stopped by old bill or just couldn't be bothered with us more like.
I was in the front line as we started out of the clock end. Arsenal came up the road right into our faces, almost into the stand itself and we bottled it big time. I can still see them laughing at how $$$$$$$ we were. If we had backed off any more we would have ended up back in Wolvo.
Terrible day!

I got a load of bottled it stories but you prob don't want to hear them, mainly ****neys for some reason.
Tottenham was another we always bottled it against, can't remember one decent result against them.

I always got the impression Molineux was a tough place for most to come to in the 1970's and that Wolvess were tough away in the midlands. but going to london was always a step too far for Wolves numerically especially, as it would be for midland clubs in general. I agree what yiu say about spurs. I was only a young teenager but the year after that cup tie at arsenal we played Arsenal again in the semi final of the fa cup at villa park - dont think they were laughing that time!

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't set up this section of the forum for it to turn into hooliganism reminiscences. I know its part and parcel of the times - I was there too - but please don't concentrate on it or glamorise it here.

R

reanswolf

I didn't set up this section of the forum for it to turn into hooliganism reminiscences. I know its part and parcel of the times - I was there too - but please don't concentrate on it or glamorise it here.

Sorry Mutchy you are right - I know its a fine line and I have crossed it with my posts above. Apologies.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Terrible day!

I lived in London up until 1974 and remember everything you've just described, including Bob Hazell being sent off, for clocking McDonald, who then scored. My memory was that happened when I lived down there.

I don't want to glorify hooliganism, so I'll tell this story from Spurs away in the FA Cup in the late 60s - I had just started living down there as a student and been to White Hart Lane once. I had drunk too much and was too loud, telling everyone to follow me into the away end, as I knew where it was. You've guessed, several hundred Wolves fans arrived behind me at the turnstiles to the Park Lane. About twenty of us had got through when hundreds of home skinheads arrived. We were all backed up against the wall with more Wolves coming though the turnstiles and more and more Spurs arriving to deal with this unexpected and entirely accidental invasion of their home end.

it was then that I saw the bravest act I've ever witnessed - one Wolves fan, in a brown jacket, jeans and with no colours walked slowly up to the Spurs boys, who fell silent to a man. He got within 3 or 4 yards of them and then stood on a small bit of raised ground, looked at them, looked back at us and then said, very quietly "It's alright, lads". We all moved gingerly forward, with no menace, and the Spurs skinheads mysteriously parted as if that bloke was Moses, and we filed silently between them, with the young bloke in the brown jacket looking on like a father figure, until we were all in and then on to the Paxton Road End, where we should have been in the first place if not for the (then) young Pengwern's pathetic drunken attempt at showing off.

I often wondered what became of my hero that day - he probably died in some UN peacekeeping force.

J

Jungleee

I lived in London up until 1974 and remember everything you've just described, including Bob Hazell being sent off, for clocking McDonald, who then scored. My memory was that happened when I lived down there.

I don't want to glorify hooliganism, so I'll tell this story from Spurs away in the FA Cup in the late 60s - I had just started living down there as a student and been to White Hart Lane once. I had drunk too much and was too loud, telling everyone to follow me into the away end, as I knew where it was. You've guessed, several hundred Wolves fans arrived behind me at the turnstiles to the Park Lane. About twenty of us had got through when hundreds of home skinheads arrived. We were all backed up against the wall with more Wolves coming though the turnstiles and more and more Spurs arriving to deal with this unexpected and entirely accidental invasion of their home end.

it was then that I saw the bravest act I've ever witnessed - one Wolves fan, in a brown jacket, jeans and with no colours walked slowly up to the Spurs boys, who fell silent to a man. He got within 3 or 4 yards of them and then stood on a small bit of raised ground, looked at them, looked back at us and then said, very quietly "It's alright, lads". We all moved gingerly forward, with no menace, and the Spurs skinheads mysteriously parted as if that bloke was Moses, and we filed silently between them, with the young bloke in the brown jacket looking on like a father figure, until we were all in and then on to the Paxton Road End, where we should have been in the first place if not for the (then) young Pengwern's pathetic drunken attempt at showing off.

I often wondered what became of my hero that day - he probably died in some UN peacekeeping force.

You'd get done for organised crime if that was 2011!

D

Dee Wolf

If only I'd been around in those days. Mind you I hear the odd tale off the old man :)

M

majorwally

Are we glorifying hooliganism?

Getting a beating at Manchester, Nottingham, Reading etc?

There was no glory in any of those, just trying to tell it like it was really.
Most of it was funny, no-one ever got seriously hurt, least I never saw any of the things you see on soccer violence films.
Trouble was I suppose, some people took it all too serious and there were numerous stabbings in Wolves. That certainly wasn't my scene and I would be first to condone anything like that.

But, I have to say, I did enjoy those times, so I will try to tell it like it was inc the football match (forgot about that bit!)

R

RichardLangford

I missed that Forest away game but had just finished school and got a job and as an 18 year old didn't miss another away game for 2 years 1976-8. That season 1976-7 was my favourite ever though, scoring lots of goals at one time looked like there would be 100 with 51 goals after 21 games but smaller-margin wins in the second half of the season meant the goal total was 84. 5 players I think Richards, Hibbit, Gould, Daley and Sunderland all scored 10.

I was from Cheltenham so went to away games by train including midweeks at Oldham & Carlisle where I stayed in B&Bs. The best away days for me were at Plymouth, Ipswich Chelsea and many more with us winning the league and reaching the FA Cup 6th round. A few bad experiences though, I got done at Oldham (yes Oldham!) walking back to my guest house and even worse was dragged out at Blackpool by my hair by a very nasty senior officer who said I was 'looking at him'. (I was never a hooligan but didn't always stand in the best places). The massive followings to away games I think 8,000 at Bristol Rovers & Bolton, and maybe 6,000 at Charlton & Ipswich. Even the night game at Carlisle I think more than 2,000. The only place there was no visible away support that season was at Millwall on New Years Day because of the reputation there, which I wasn't happy about because if Wolves had taken the same following there as to Bristol Rovers 5 days earlier and nearby Charlton 6 weeks later they would have held Cold Blow Lane even though it would have been rough.

The next season 1977-8 I didn't miss a match home or away but not as much fun as the previous season. We sold 2 of my favourite players Kindon & Sunderland, narrowly stayed up and not the big away followings as before.

I want to clarify a few other things on this thread. 1)The segregation fence went up January 1978, the 3-1 win over Everton was the last game witout it. It was up in preparation for the WBA match but that was postponed so the first game with it was against Norwich. 2)For the West Ham game I was sat in Waterloo Road stand near the South Bank borrowing a season ticket of someone on holiday and saw clearly what happened. At about 2:30 I think the West Ham fans went behind and surprised the Wolves fans by coming out at the entrance on the Wolves side and most ran. Then the second time West Ham went forward Wolves went on the pitch to escape towards the North Bank. But only a few got that far as the police stopped them and sent them back to the South Bank, moved the West Ham fans back to away side and the Wolves fans retook their part. Many Wolves fans were still in the pub at that time and by kick-off they were in full strength and voice in the South Bank. But to be honest if not for the coppers I'm not sure Wolves would have retaken the South Bank that day. 3). For 3 years in a row 1976/7 to 1978/9 the worst trouble at Molineux was definitely against Chelsea, and again when we played them in 1982/3. I was in the North Bank that night in 1978 when they switched ends. That and the league cup game at Reading one week later when their skinheads gatecrashed the away end has made me hate chelsea to this day. Even if they play WBA or a foreign club on TV I will shout against chelsea!

Back
Top Bottom