Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Not a bad time to discuss the team re-build

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is, it appears that we’ve committed ourselves to next season’s squad without any foresight or inclination to change the make-up to improve where we are now?!

Becoming obvious that Wolves are a mid-table prem side which Fosun are more than happy with as long as they reap the benefits of being in one of the top leagues in Europe.
And after years of struggling to even get into the top division midtable in the best league in the world is still far far better than what we've endured over the last 30 odd years

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves is easily at Barcelona level. Give your head a wobble.
Easily???? Wow that's a statement! Has moments of absolute brilliance but on others gets outshone but distinctly average players. Has the potential to move to a top top club but hes not there yet, as lack of interest off said clubs shows

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easily???? Wow that's a statement! Has moments of absolute brilliance but on others gets outshone but distinctly average players. Has the potential to move to a top top club but hes not there yet, as lack of interest off said clubs shows
How does he get outshone by average players? Go on, im intrigued.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Busquets currently? Yeah
De Jong? Equal
Pedri? Nope, absolute wonderkid.

Neves will shine in a better side, he basically plays midfield by himself for us.
We had dominance of possession today and he barely moved the ball forward. Idea he is equal to De Jong is one of the most deluded things I've ever read on here

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had dominance of possession today and he barely moved the ball forward. Idea he is equal to De Jong is one of the most deluded things I've ever read on here
What exactly has he got to aim towards? What movement does Wolves have? A long ball over and we are beaten for strength, a ball slicing the defense open and we are beaten for pace. A midfielder is as good as his options in front of him and we have very little.

Hes the crown jewel in a pile of ****e, and on the interest front, didn't people say the same about Traore, that same Traore who is currently absolutely ripping it up for Barcelona. Just because you don't see interest, doesn't mean there is none.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

What exactly has he got to aim towards? What movement does Wolves have? A long ball over and we are beaten for strength, a ball slicing the defense open and we are beaten for pace. A midfielder is as good as his options in front of him and we have very little.

Hes the crown jewel in a pile of ****e, and on the interest front, didn't people say the same about Traore, that same Traore who is currently absolutely ripping it up for Barcelona. Just because you don't see interest, doesn't mean there is none.
He was available for £35M this summer, only Arsenal sniffed around and decided to keep Xhaka. He has balls he can play through every game he turns down, against West Ham he had 2 to Neto. Commentator even mentioned it that he had a 1v1 to put him in on a counter and he just played it sideways.

He is too safe to be a top midfielder at the moment. He tried to put Chiquinho through today and overhit the pass, a top midfielder doesn't.

If you can have watched him against Rice, Tielemans, Partey and today against Gallagher and thought he was better I don't know what you are seeing. And Palace other midfielders are plodders.

He is a good player, but idea he is easily good enough for Barca is a joke. If he was he'd be at a top club already, he has the technical ability but he doesn't have the pass forward mindset - at least not yet. And Busquets was bossing knock out matches in the Euros, Neves was behind William Carvalho.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How does he get outshone by average players? Go on, im intrigued.
Players such as Gilmour, kouyate, Gallagher, norgaard, Brownhill and Cork are players who have made him look in a group lower than what has just been portrayed on here re easily good enough for Barca!! On that basis many are.....

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players such as Gilmour, kouyate, Gallagher, norgaard, Brownhill and Cork are players who have made him look in a group lower than what has just been portrayed on here re easily good enough for Barca!! On that basis many are.....
Well, in each of those situation you mentioned above he was running the midfield by himself whilst those mentioned had another body or two to add to the supporting act. It's a kinda thing where 2v1 isn't usually going end well for the 1.

He was available for £35M this summer, only Arsenal sniffed around and decided to keep Xhaka. He has balls he can play through every game he turns down, against West Ham he had 2 to Neto. Commentator even mentioned it that he had a 1v1 to put him in on a counter and he just played it sideways.

He is too safe to be a top midfielder at the moment. He tried to put Chiquinho through today and overhit the pass, a top midfielder doesn't.

If you can have watched him against Rice, Tielemans, Partey and today against Gallagher and thought he was better I don't know what you are seeing. And Palace other midfielders are plodders.

He is a good player, but idea he is easily good enough for Barca is a joke. If he was he'd be at a top club already, he has the technical ability but he doesn't have the pass forward mindset - at least not yet. And Busquets was bossing knock out matches in the Euros, Neves was behind William Carvalho.
Was he really? What other inner workings can you tell us. Did he? That's strange as I was at that game and frankly the movement infront of him was the main issue. Looking up and seeing Wolves shirts positioning themselves behind West Ham ones, that's a tough pass when you've got to retain ball possession.

A top midfielder doesn't over hit passes, get out of here, I've seen Modric hit passes that had more chance of hitting the lino then his target. Are you doing the jwolfie schtick of having a controversial point for the sake of it? Common theme.

We've seen him hit some absolute peaches this season, or are we just forgetting that for the sake of convenience?

Again, you mentioned those guys, guess what, they have a supporting act, have players moving and actually support their midfield. We literally a midfield of Neves and... ??? He runs the damn thing by himself, of course it won't go well for him half the day because he has to do the job of two.

Anyways, much again, I'll wait happily again to be correct, just as Jota wasn't good enough for Liverpool, just as Traore wasn't good enough for Barcelona, I'll just phone in the W now that Neves is good enough to be in that Barcelona midfield and if Wolves fans can't appreciate that now, then **** em, make sure you do when he's wearing there's.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Tielemans was poor against us,and Rice was poor against us earlier in the season.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players I’d keep

Sa Jonny Kilman Neto Hwang Cundle Ait-Nouri Semedo Podence Chiquinho

As for the rest of the right offer comes in get rid and rebuild like palace did they took the mickey out of us twice this season.

They pressed and bullied us we need a new identity without neves and coady. The inconsistency every season is worrying we’ve gone back to nuno ways after hitting 40pts absolutely not good enough!!

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, in each of those situation you mentioned above he was running the midfield by himself whilst those mentioned had another body or two to add to the supporting act. It's a kinda thing where 2v1 isn't usually going end well for the 1.

Was he really? What other inner workings can you tell us. Did he? That's strange as I was at that game and frankly the movement infront of him was the main issue. Looking up and seeing Wolves shirts positioning themselves behind West Ham ones, that's a tough pass when you've got to retain ball possession.

A top midfielder doesn't over hit passes, get out of here, I've seen Modric hit passes that had more chance of hitting the lino then his target. Are you doing the jwolfie schtick of having a controversial point for the sake of it? Common theme.

We've seen him hit some absolute peaches this season, or are we just forgetting that for the sake of convenience?

Again, you mentioned those guys, guess what, they have a supporting act, have players moving and actually support their midfield. We literally a midfield of Neves and... ??? He runs the damn thing by himself, of course it won't go well for him half the day because he has to do the job of two.

Anyways, much again, I'll wait happily again to be correct, just as Jota wasn't good enough for Liverpool, just as Traore wasn't good enough for Barcelona, I'll just phone in the W now that Neves is good enough to be in that Barcelona midfield and if Wolves fans can't appreciate that now, then **** em, make sure you do when he's wearing there's.
Don't get me wrong, I love neves too bits and apprentice he's the best midfielder we have had over the last few years while we've been a 7th - 13th club. Just don't agree he's at a level yet to slot into a real top clubs midfield.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

All the transfer sources who are bang on, like John Percy and Romano said Neves was for sale at around that price. Can ignore it if you want, Madrid signed Camavinga instead. Odd as he'd probably walk into Madrid midfield I'd imagine for you as well.

And you're doing the sc thing of being totally blinkered. How is the great defence looking nowadays? Was I being controversial or absolutely bang on?

I was always a believer in Traore, Jota had hit his ceiling with our style of play and the fee was a fair one. Again I said he'd do very well at Liverpool.

Idea that Gallagher has more around him that Neves isn't accurate either.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know I'm a stuck record but we need, desperately need, a strong, dynamic, decent on the ball box-to-box midfielder. Get one of those and I think a lot of what we perceive to be problems fade away: Neves has another attacking option so doesn't have to go sideways, we have more players arriving in the box when we have the ball wide, and we have someone who can match other sides' physicality.

Defense I'm sticking with, not because it's perfect but because we'll have a limited budget and the priorities are elsewhere.

I hadn't realised this until fairly recently but we do need a striker. I think some of the criticism of Jiminez has been OTT, his hold up play has remained good, but we rarely look like scoring. People who know **** all about the game will always beg for a good CF, "if only we had X player we'd be banging 'em in", but it's got to the point where we do need that new striker.

If it's wishlist time then another good midfielder and a fast quality CB would be great (I'm not bothered about going 4 at the back but it would be good if we could) but those other two are the priorities assuming Neves stays. Imagine Gallagher or Soucek or Kalvin Phillips (or even our new fake rivals' McGinn) next to Neves and the way others would be freed up to play...

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
worst midfield player on the park.
set pieces appalling
passing poor
leicester paper saying he was poor
what game were you watching?
Thought he was alright to be honest, played the ball through for their goal didn't he? He didn't 'boss it' though and I wouldn't be that excited about having him here.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he was alright to be honest, played the ball through for their goal didn't he? He didn't 'boss it' though and I wouldn't be that excited about having him here.
neves scored for us and leicester media said Dewsbury-Hall was much better than Tielemans.
his passing stats were terrible apart from ,as you say,1 good ball.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves is soft, much like the rest of our team atm. Any challenges go in and they’re rolling around the floor. Anything there to be won and generally the opposition walk through. The whole team are soft and we desperately need some steel and some guile. I don’t know who brings that in given the article in E&S suggests money may be tight again in the summer. I do know it is infuriating to watch our team get beaten by teams who just have more desire, but less skill - if you believe what many write about our players.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
neves scored for us and leicester media said Dewsbury-Hall was much better than Tielemans.
his passing stats were terrible apart from ,as you say,1 good ball.
The stats I saw suggested he had a decent game, I saw a 7/10 somewhere, which confirms what I saw: he was alright.

Our midfield needs sorting out, it's dire at the moment... we're just not there. I love Moutinho but he's Neves-lite at the moment and we're just so lacking as a consequence in the middle. We need three in there or some little ******* from the youth ranks who can tackle, pass, get up and down etc.

We just play the same dull **** every game now.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we want to play more attacking then we're gonna need a completely different midfield and defence. Players who are comfortable playing more isolated and able to win 1 vs 1 duels waaaaay more often, whether via a speed race over ground or a physical duel for 50/50s.

We've been so bad at that for so long, which is why both Nuno and Lage have resorted to playing such a compact low block. There's just not the money around for us to buy that many players in such a short space of time, don't expect things to be much different next season imo.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To be fair, if Traore can play for Barcelona then Neves sure as **** can.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We weren't going to spend £50M on Dias and I cant remember us ever being properly linked to Fernandes. Pretty easy to say we should have just dropped £100M on two players to improve us
The point I was trying to make is that the side we ended that season with is arguably the strongest side we have had for 40 plus years. If we had added a couple more more first teamers to what we had then, or even just one first team player, who knows where things may have gone.

As it is, the only genuine improvement to our starting eleven we have signed in the last 4 years in Semedo. That explains a lot in my opinion.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All the transfer sources who are bang on, like John Percy and Romano said Neves was for sale at around that price. Can ignore it if you want, Madrid signed Camavinga instead. Odd as he'd probably walk into Madrid midfield I'd imagine for you as well.

And you're doing the sc thing of being totally blinkered. How is the great defence looking nowadays? Was I being controversial or absolutely bang on?

I was always a believer in Traore, Jota had hit his ceiling with our style of play and the fee was a fair one. Again I said he'd do very well at Liverpool.

Right, and the journos were just absolutely 100% in the know. Plus post pandemic, that's an expensive haul. This notion that he couldn't work his way into a top squad is ridiculous.

That top defense? We are missing two key components whilst one defender understandably is off his game and really should be given time off. So 3 out 5 of the top defense are missing so umm....?

Gallagher doesn't have more around him. Did you see yesterday?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said it elsewhere, this current squad doesnt need a rebuild, it needs some upgrades. Still plenty of talent here right now. A new center back, midfielder and striker to improve us and freshen things up and we will be fine. If we lose Mouts, probably 2 new midfielders. Neves going will be our biggest issue as we then need a total rebuild of the engine room. We wont struggle for wide attackers, we have plenty of solid options there. We need a striker though as well as another center half.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The usual suspects i see having a go at Neves. As if we were ever going to sell him for 35 million. Some of you must be so, so gullible if you think that kind of fee would ever have got him out of here. De Bruyne would struggle to do much here with the lack of movement in front of him that Neves has to deal with. Ruben has been excellent in a very ordinary side this year.

R

reanswolf

Gallagher had far more around him for Palace, certainly yesterday. There was movement, pace, forward running etc. Neves really needs a Gallagher-type partner in midfield. I feel desperately-sorry for him.

And I am extremely frustrated at the club for allowing that situation to evolve and manifest over time.
Shocking management.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure it matters if we move to a back 4 or not. We seem to have bought a load of wide forwards who are all good players but have poor goalscoring records. This is what needs addressing.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There'll be plenty of work to be done in the summer transfer window. I just hope that between the coaching staff, the recruitment staff, and the board, they have a clear plan for what we need.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
I just don’t see a massive rebuild on the horizon.
Sa, samedo, RAN, Kilman, Neto, podence should be first names on the sheet
There’s potential in mosquera, Toti, cundle, mgw, chiquina, dare I say silva
Moutinho has been great but theres no fee, backup/coaching role?
Neves, cash in, deli alli £40m we should get £45-50m, would love to see us build around him but just don’t see it happening.
Traore, done deal £25m
Saiss done well but head scratching mistakes keep happening
Boly, has he lost it? Desire?
Marcal, Hwang, hoever if he’s got the desire, saiss back ups
Raul, the headband is clearly affecting him, not sure what’s in it, but can’t he try a carbon fibre protective shield taped to his head or stick a protective shield under a wrestling mask?
Unless trincao bulks up I wouldn’t sign him.
Wish list
Could mosquera toti and kilman be a back 3?
Couple of central midfielders, going to be hard to recruit top quality if star man neves is sold
Striker finisher
Every club has squad fillers, we lack depth and we also lack strength and aggression on the pitch.
We are at the moment a mid table side in a slump results wise, attacking wise, idea wise, any thoughts of Europe should be hopes not expectations, we’ve done well to get 40 points after yet another couple of disappointing transfer windows and a threadbare squad. Like many others I’m baffled that, now we are safe we are still playing with the brakes on, can we not go back to playing like we did in those first few games? Are the players not fit enough? Good enough? Experiment now ready for next season, 11 games left, not bothered if we finish 8th or 11th, more bothered that we get back to having chances and playing with passion. As for the manager, I think he’s done alright with what he’s got, to be close in the league to spurs, West Ham, arsenal and United with all their resources, he should be pleased, new league, new ideas, just play how you want to play and find out which players can cut it.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest window was last summer and they royally ****** it up. Guo dhould have brought in a director of football and told jeff shi to deal with the commercial side of things.
We have a director of football

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever we do, keep Neves at all costs.

P.s. I saw highlights of Renato against Chelsea and he seems way too good for us! He would be a real statement signing if we can get it done.

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FOSUN, GIZ US A REAL DOF

Who wants to sort getting this message flown over Molineux? :p

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The usual suspects i see having a go at Neves. As if we were ever going to sell him for 35 million. Some of you must be so, so gullible if you think that kind of fee would ever have got him out of here. De Bruyne would struggle to do much here with the lack of movement in front of him that Neves has to deal with. Ruben has been excellent in a very ordinary side this year.
I think Neves has had a great season. Even yesterday he was one of the few that could hold their head high. Having said that I think he will probably leave this summer. If we dont recruit properly in the summer then next season could easily be a relegation battle.

Back
Top Bottom