Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Next Season Expectations

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope that we will be able to read the match thread, with out the usual competition, to see who can insult our players and manager the most.
I hope for a less devisive year, with us all getting behind the club.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's all relative, though. Slappings happen.

Last year Leeds lost 15 of 38 games, just two less than us, and got done 4-2 by Arsenal, 3-0 by Spurs, 6-2 by Man Utd, 4-1 by Palace, 4-1 by Leicester. They lost twice to us and to Brighton. Finished streets ahead of us, drowning in plaudits.

Palace got turned over 4-0 and 4-1 by Chelsea, 4-1 by Spurs, 4-0 by Man City, 7-0 by Liverpool, lost twice to Burnley. Won the same number of games we did, scored more goals, one point and place worse off.

Southampton lost 5-2 to Man City and Spurs, 9-0 to Man Utd, 3-0 to West Ham, West Brom, Leeds. Won the same number of games as us, scored significantly more goals.

Defeats are going to happen, sometimes heavy, but they're palatable if you're attacking and scoring and winning other games to offset that. Win half your games 3-0, lose the other half 3-0, and you end up with roughly the stats of Leeds last year; doesn't win you anything but it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

I don't want pundits wagging the Nuno stick at us next year either, but if we can entertain and have a positive attitude, I think the Holy Spirit will quickly be laid to rest.
My thoughts entirely

I can put up with defeats, but I couldn't face another season of football like last year. It was joyless in the extreme.

Maybe Nuno could have turned it round but all the evidence was pointing to him maxxing out at 2018-20 Prem levels.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we were rubbish last season, there were a lot of mitigating circumstances though so I wanted Nuno to be given a chance to put things right although it was starting to look like his time was up.
As for next season, I have no idea if Bruno is a good appointment or not but I will get fully behind him; I think consolidation and avoiding a relegation scrap is the primary objective; if we can finish higher than last season and play some entertaining football along the way then that would be great.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
Respect the opposition but remove the fear we currently play with. Improve the on field leadership and move away from utility players.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well I'm expecting 2.4 goals a game average minimum from Bruno given that's his record. Also expecting a few 10-0 results.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

League position wasn't the reason wolves moved on though.
I can give you an absolutely cast iron guarantee that if we have a similar league position to last year wolves (ie Jeff) will move on again.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

I can give you an absolutely cast iron guarantee that if we have a similar league position to last year wolves (ie Jeff) will move on again.
Fancy a charity bet £20 similar being 2 place above or below?

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully beat the other clubs in top 15 a little more regularly. Been an issue last 2 years.
Obviously won’t know if this is hope or expectation till I know the squad.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you'd rather flirt with relegation and be proved right than us finish 6th and prove NNW right. What kind of a uh Wolves supporter are you?

So you'd rather flirt with relegation and be proved right than us finish 6th and prove NNW right. What kind of a Wolves supporter are you?
I'm only joking. If we finish anything above half way it will be a big success. Still won't make NNW right, it could never be right to sack Nuno after the events of the last 12 months and being safe with several games to go.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have none. I don't where we are at the moment. A genuine year of transition unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 11332

Didn't know you were so well connected at the club mate. Interesting that Bruno has been told if he doesn't improve on 12th he'll be sacked, makes me even more excited as he obviously thinks it's easily doable.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
First half goals.
Playing for more than 10-15 minutes after half time.
Positive, attacking play.
9-11th placed finish would be nice.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m genuinely not sure what you’re getting at here?
We will have more foreign players new to the PL. some hit the ground running but many, like Semedo, take time to adjust. The more you sign the more that you are likely to have that are below par in the first part of the season.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
After 18months of a pandemic , sales of and injuries to important players plus a new manager, I would happily settle for a top half finish. Much below that and finger nail biting from Christmas onward will make for grim weekends. However, hope springs eternal and I'm preparing to raid the shopping budget for a flutter on Wolves for a top six place.;)

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ofc we have to see where we are as far as players in a months time or more to make any kind of predictions
That said my hope is we do better than last season in terms of playing style and final position
Im expecting a roller coaster season with some good, some bad results,its pretty much guaranteed with all the changes we expect to happen on and off the field,but as long as we compete, and show some kind of improvement as we progress ill be happy, and see where we end up

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To stay up is all we should hope for, anything else is a bonus, I think Bruno might turn out to be a better manager than Nuno but not perhaps until his second season.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I expect a difficult season bedding in a new manager, coaching staff and by sounds of it a lot of new players, if we finish around where we did this season just gone it will have been a decent year.

I hope to see a team more confident on the ball that can create more chances and one that doesn't just rely on individual ability but on team play to create goals

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I expect more attacking football and some youngsters to be given a lot of responsibility in something of a 433 (a high 343 in attack, a pressing 4132 in defence). I also expect this will all lead to some high profile mistakes and a few comical goals conceded.We'll have weeks when we look like world beaters, and weeks when we look like amateurs. I think over the course of the season we'll improve on the year just gone and finish in the top ten, but might be a big ask for this new youthful attacking approach to finish seventh in the first season.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly I have low expectations as we have to operate under European FFP and have arguably our three best players returning from very serious injuries .

So 40 points is the first objective.

A cup run would be a pleasant change.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
I think we will be in a group with leeds, Everton, villa, Newcastle and norwich vying for 9th place. As long as we get an actual big, muscular, rock of a centre back, keep neves, and Neto comes back as quick as possible. It’ll be great to have Jimenez back and attack more.
i Think we will hit the loan market and hopefully discover some real talent, we’ve got to get away from playing midfielders at the back.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'll finish higher under Lage than if Nuno was still at the helm.

Whether that's 8th or 18th is anyone's guess but I have a feeling we'll do well under a new system and with fresh players.

I'd say between 7th and 11th with more attractive football and promising signs for the following season.
Agreed WW so long as a few fresh players are secured this summer.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect we will struggle. We desperately need strengthening throughout the side, notably at the back and in midfield. We have no idea when we are going to see Jonny, whether Neto will return to the form that carried us for much of the season, and whether Raul will be the same player. We still have travel restrictions placing a psychological burden on the largely Portuguese contingent. We also have no idea how long covid is going to impact on Boly (it's still affecting me, and I'd have considered myself pretty fit before last April) and the deterioration of Patricio and Moutinho, who, whilst still solid players, are not the show-stoppers they were when they arrived. Add to that a short summer for the new manager to get his ideas across, and whatever you think of his record, it's not something he's had to do very often given his inexperience, and you have a pretty volatile situation that definitely poses some challenges. That will have a sizeable bearing on how the above factors impact us. We may see players subconsciously 'sulking' that Nuno has gone, we may see some open to fresh ideas and feel inspired by the change. Unless you're in the players heads, it's difficult to judge.

Whilst all clubs have these issues to a lesser or greater degree, we saw the evidence of how it affected Wolves last season, so I would be very surprised if we saw an upturn in fortunes any time soon.

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
I can see a mid table finish. There will surely be a lot of new faces about the place (pitch & coaching wise), so I expect a roller coaster of a season .... some heavy defeats, but also some decent wins in there too (hopefully)!

I just want to be entertained! Is that too much to ask for? Last season's football was turgid .. for several (well documented) reasons.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
No doubt there will be a "where do you think we will finish" poll along in early August. My main expectation is to be in the ground cheering the team on.

If we lose Neves and Neto is a while returning, then, even if Raul comes back firing, we'll do well to make a positive start, which we could really do with.

Last edited:

kentish wolf

Reaction score
To early to say ,we will have a different line up and different tactics etc.
One thing is for sure ...
Next season will be different from last season,in my 63 years of supporting this great club I have never been so bored watching the team.
I loved the first 3 seasons under Nuno
but imo it was time too move on.
So bring it on Mr Lage

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Impossible to give an answer - Sept 1st is when we can answer, when we know who is in the squad

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have modest expectations, based on nothing really, but... to improve year on year until we win the Champions league.

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
Hopefully play more attacking football

My one concern though is all the flap of we are trying to be creative with finances etc . I don't know many decent players that don't cost money .

So if we are downgrading some areas of the team to raise funds then how will that make us progress . Yes we need to stick in the constraints of FFP but going down this way might cause us to be in a relegation battle . Especially if we buy a couple of Duds which could happen .

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You improve by selling the players that aren't good enough, not by selling your best players. I will wait till the end of the transfer window to pass judgment.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You improve by selling the players that aren't good enough, not by selling your best players. I will wait till the end of the transfer window to pass judgment.

Liverpool sold Coutinho and Suarez, then improved.

Obviously it's a risk and relies on you finding hidden gems to replace them, but to say you can't improve by selling your best players is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom