Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Next Season Expectations

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

The traditional Wolves fan in me always means that my first expectation is we won't get relegated! As many have said we really don't know what the team will look like next season but with an exciting new manager we should be looking for a good top half finish and I would really love something better in the cups (FA or League) than the last couple of years.
Something better than 7th in the league and Europa Q/F(which was achieved in the last two years)?

Did you even notice what Nuno achieved?

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A different style of football, more on the front foot and more goals scored. A lot more goals scored, please. Top half finish.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Until we know who our squad will be, how they play, and how well they play, I have no idea what next will bring in results and position. My hope, given what we know of Bruno, is a more attacking and entertaining Wolves, a top half finish, and with luck, a good cup run.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its too early to say. If we have another window like last summer we will go down for sure... but, if Fosun really do back Lage and we build a new exciting young team, then who knows. Ask me again in August.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Current expectation is bottom 5, hopefully transfer window will be better than I'm anticipating.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
10th - 16th, this is open to change depending on who we keep, who we sign, and how the players buy into the new managers style and ideas.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If 13th is deemed not good enough despite the considerable challenges faced by playing an entire season behind closed doors, catastrophic injuries to our most talented/important players and having a 2 week pre-season after a monumental 13 month season the year before then I’d say that the minimum requirement is to emulate the 7th place finish and cup run of the first season back.

In our first season back Leicester stumbled and had an off year. They bounced back incredibly well. Both West Ham and Villa this past season have shown that it’s possible to go from a poor season to a good one.

Yeah last season was a huge disappointment, we got wiped out by the big wave we’d been riding on. It was an absolute body blow to watch those players and staff that had made us so proud look so defeated and so lost.

Nobody wanted to see Nuno not succeed. I didn’t want or expect him to leave but since he has left and I’ve had time to think it does genuinely feel like the right thing to do to breathe new life into the club.

There will be an overhaul, some of those players we hold in such high regard, that we think now are irreplaceable will leave and will be replaced. When those players do go they will leave safe in the knowledge that they’ve been part of the best team we’ve had for a generation or two.

Bruno’s arrival brings new hope and optimism. He may be an unknown quantity but he’s got a lot of things to be positive about on his C.V.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly, I would be happy with a stable season, followed up with some green shoots of promise and hope.

Nuno and his team were so integral to the identity and story of our success under Fosun and our presence in the Premier League. Changing manager has been a risky move - perhaps a necessary one - but risky nonetheless. It seems like we're going to see some significant outgoings, a handful of new players to bed in, a new system and a new "cycle".

These things aren't always straight forward and I wouldn't say with any certainty that Lage will hit the ground running. There are way too many variables at play, and a number of them aren't even in his hands. I think any manager coming into the club right now would face a challenge, and I don't think positive results would be guaranteed for anyone in the short term.

By the end of the season, I'd like us to have remained competitive in the league (i.e., not in a relegation scrap), and for there to be signs that the next season would be even better. I'd like to see positive, progressive football; the improvement of our young players, and some indication that our transfers have been successes.

D

Deleted member 7041

The further dismantling of our squad and the foundations Nuno built. Replacing them with unknowns of lesser quality. Losing the bond between the supporters and club. I see him gone by Xmas and a season similar to Sheffield Uniteds' last season.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It surely has to be at least 10th. If Nuno isn't allowed 1 bad season, why is Bruno?

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back above of the likes of Villa and Leeds.. competing in a mini league with Everton, Leicester and Arsenal (maybe also Spurs) for Europa.

Wolves2018

Reaction score
Positive about next season to be honest, got a feeling we will finish 8th - 12th with attacking football and being unpredictable like Leeds, if we can sign a top CB then maybe closer to 8th!

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we’re far more intrigued to know what the Fosun expectation of Bruno is for next season?
That I guess only a very select few know the answer to.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My expectations for next season are relatively low due to the likely scale of the change in playing style. I obviously hope for better but expect bottom half. I also hope (and expect) that we will then push on in the following season as the team starts to really gel and a number of our quality youngsters mature..

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The further dismantling of our squad and the foundations Nuno built. Replacing them with unknowns of lesser quality. Losing the bond between the supporters and club. I see him gone by Xmas and a season similar to Sheffield Uniteds' last season.
What’s the worst case scenario then Dave ? :rolleyes:

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having seen a manager I loved leave...

At least 12th in the league, otherwise it has to be judged a failure to some extent
A good style of play (can be defensive, as long as it works)

Anything 8th or above would be very very good

I think a lot of people find it very easy to say "i'd be happy with 15th if we're playing attacking football" before the season, but they forget that to be finishing 15th, you're losing a lot of games, probably getting close to 18th at various points, and that isn't much fun, whatever the aesthetics.

Wolf In Essex

Reaction score
Mid table with double the goals scored from last season would be a good start.

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Realistically I’d like to see us around 7th but in reality I think we’ll end up around 11-13th

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know why many think we'll ship goals if we play a more attacking style under Lage when his Benfica only conceded 6 in the opening 19 games of his season there.
We don't have a squad as good as he had at Benfica and his opposition isn't exactly going to be like Nacional, showing up to have ten put past them. Taking us into the PL is more akin to him taking Benfica into Europe than it is taking them into the Primeira Liga and his record in Europe wasn't brilliant.

P14 W5 D3 L6 F23 A22

That's why I think we'll be conceding goals

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its important we start the season well. It will breed confidence into a young team. Start poorly and trying to implement an attacking way with players low on confidence will be a disaster.

Start well and 7-9th
Start poorly and 15-17th

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst the world reads about Bruno and his attacking style of football I fear for a year where we look good but ultimately get battered by those with deeper pockets 4/5-0 unless we properly sure up the defence.
I would take staying up and going from there which is my mantra every year to be honest but what I want most is to not be the premier league whipping boys who week after week hear about how us losing our manager and subsequently our more experienced players has cost us
Though part of me thinks it will be the case.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Id expect 8-9th to be honest with 55 to 60 points. Looking at the last few years of the premier league, with the latest year being the exception as the bottom teams were so poor, this would be where id like to see us. If bruno brings the swashbuckling attack as we expect, i reckon we will lose as many as we win, but not so many draws. 17 wins with a few draws feels realistic. This is based on the current players available and will need to review once we have seen the incommings and outgoings.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My only hope and expectation is to enjoy watching my team again and actually look forward to the next game

I'll be happy with comfortable mid-table and push on next year when we've shed some of the FFP shackles

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst the world reads about Bruno and his attacking style of football I fear for a year where we look good but ultimately get battered by those with deeper pockets 4/5-0 unless we properly sure up the defence.
I would take staying up and going from there which is my mantra every year to be honest but what I want most is to not be the premier league whipping boys who week after week hear about how us losing our manager and subsequently our more experienced players has cost us
Though part of me thinks it will be the case.

It's all relative, though. Slappings happen.

Last year Leeds lost 15 of 38 games, just two less than us, and got done 4-2 by Arsenal, 3-0 by Spurs, 6-2 by Man Utd, 4-1 by Palace, 4-1 by Leicester. They lost twice to us and to Brighton. Finished streets ahead of us, drowning in plaudits.

Palace got turned over 4-0 and 4-1 by Chelsea, 4-1 by Spurs, 4-0 by Man City, 7-0 by Liverpool, lost twice to Burnley. Won the same number of games we did, scored more goals, one point and place worse off.

Southampton lost 5-2 to Man City and Spurs, 9-0 to Man Utd, 3-0 to West Ham, West Brom, Leeds. Won the same number of games as us, scored significantly more goals.

Defeats are going to happen, sometimes heavy, but they're palatable if you're attacking and scoring and winning other games to offset that. Win half your games 3-0, lose the other half 3-0, and you end up with roughly the stats of Leeds last year; doesn't win you anything but it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

I don't want pundits wagging the Nuno stick at us next year either, but if we can entertain and have a positive attitude, I think the Holy Spirit will quickly be laid to rest.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Play sexy football, don't flirt with relegation. Sometimes maybe good sometimes maybe sheeeeet.

That'll do.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Last year Leeds lost 15 of 38 games, just two less than us, and got done 4-2 by Arsenal, 3-0 by Spurs, 6-2 by Man Utd, 4-1 by Palace, 4-1 by Leicester. They lost twice to us and to Brighton. Finished streets ahead of us, drowning in plaudits.

Palace got turned over 4-0 and 4-1 by Chelsea, 4-1 by Spurs, 4-0 by Man City, 7-0 by Liverpool, lost twice to Burnley. Won the same number of games we did, scored more goals, one point and place worse off.

Southampton lost 5-2 to Man City and Spurs, 9-0 to Man Utd, 3-0 to West Ham, West Brom, Leeds. Won the same number of games as us, scored significantly more goals.

Defeats are going to happen, sometimes heavy, but they're palatable if you're attacking and scoring and winning other games to offset that. Win half your games 3-0, lose the other half 3-0, and you end up with roughly the stats of Leeds last year; doesn't win you anything but it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

I don't want pundits wagging the Nuno stick at us next year either, but if we can entertain and have a positive attitude, I think the Holy Spirit will quickly be laid to rest.

Yes, this. :) We had a few 4 goal tonkings anyway, so if we could add one or two 3 or 4 goal wins , ideally against Villa, that would be a good enough start.

In terms of league position, I'm not too ambitious. Mid table, 9th - 13th again would be fine and is the most I hope for. It's in the manner of the performances and the mentality of the players that I want to see something different to the last year or so. As someone stated very eloquently earlier - can we please have the team start the match as if they knew there was a match on that day? :)

Show some attacking intent when we're not already a goal or two down. No more looking as if our tactic for every match, whether Man City or Chorley is too hang on at 0-0 for 85 minutes , then snatch something at the end.

Improved set pieces - at both ends. Faster interplay - like it was originally under Nuno.

But as you say, we will be on the losing end, that's inevitable. If we change from not sitting back until losing, then there will be matches where we took the lead early, maybe even a 2 goal lead and get pulled back and don't win. There's no need to go full-on-Leeds. Keep the defence reasonably solid, just get forward with more conviction than we have been, at the right times.

It's also about player development. If Neto, Fabio, Vitninha, Ait-Nouri and any other young hopes we acquire can have a season of good progress, that is a big plus, too. Also, to get the senior players looking like they enjoy playing for us once more, not as if the match is something they want to get out the way with minimum effort.

johnnybetchas

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I just hope that every time we lose it doesn't turn into a "Nuno wouldn't have lost that" festival on here. But I bet it bloody well will!!

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Think it is again down to how spoilt we got over the first two season in the premier league where I can count on one hand the amount of times we got thrashed, City when Boly got sent off? Chelsea in the game where we played Jesus? Competing in a game for 90 minutes where it can go either way means more to me and I am excited to see more dynamic football as long as it doesnt hurt us in the other end.

That and avoiding as you said the Nuno stick or the "You sold him??" stick

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Me, my lads and my mates, up town drinking beer, walking down to the ground and raucous celebrations in a post-lockdown back to normal Molineux, plus the odd away game and dreams of trips to Europe will do for me.

Back
Top Bottom