Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Next Season Expectations

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right now as it stands I’ll be happy to finish 15th or above and ideally be safe from relegation with 6/7 games to go.

I’ll revisit my expectations once the transfer window is closed.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
My expectations will be the same every year for a while, until we develop stronger revenue streams to compete legitimately for Champions League spots:
  • Finish top half (i.e., cement Premier League status)
  • Competitive with the top six, making them sweat having to play us
  • In the hunt for Europa League spot(s) most years
  • Continue to be a magnet for top young prospects
  • Continue to grow the Youth Academy and the Wolves brand
  • Play the game the right way (i.e., play aggressive and hard without cheating) - I don't care if we're a free-flowing attacking team or a defensive, counter-attacking team, to be honest; just a team that you know leaves everything out on the field
Next year might be a bit rocky (especially in the first third of the season) with a whole new management team, footballing tactics, and key experienced players either injured (Neto, Johnny) or potentially moving on (Rui, Neves, Traore, Moutinho). I'm okay if we finish mid-table as long as we hit the other bullet points. I'm willing to be patient with the long-term plan because I know that it won't be a linear nor an easy process to get there.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope to finish 17th or higher. Whether that’s likely will depend upon the squad at 1st September and whether Lage is up to the job which we won’t be able to get a clear picture of until a month into the season.

D

Deleted member 11332

Play decent attractive footballer, further develop our younger players and put in a good base for a proper run at the top 6 the year after.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see how many of the people who “just want to see attractive football” still feel that way if we are at the wrong end of the table by Christmas but scoring more goals. I hope to God it doesn’t happen but I’m struggling to see all this change having a great impact in a season where we have the Euros to get out of the way first.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stay up and be entertaining, as long as it's Brunoball not Nunoball. I think we may see something unexpected and exciting. I'll stick my neck out and say 8th after a strong finish (but an average start).

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Win the league
Win the Fa cup
Win the League cup
Bruno gets a 6 game touch line ban for 2 footed slide tackle on grelish that see him land on row m of the holte end
Nuno returns we beat him 3-2 with his team 2-0 after 20 minutes
VAR only used for decision against the greedy 6
Most of all full ground with fans

anything less boo Bruno out

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy just to stop up looking like a total rebuild from a team that was already sliding and getting rid of the better players isn't how we move forward.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I expect the heart to have been ripped out of the team and many supporters by the apparant ruthless sacking of Nuno.
This will be compounded by exchanging 2 or 3 (I'm being optimistic) of the core quality players with rookies to balance the season gone books.
This will be done under the delusion that we are an established PL team so can now be self sufficient and that any time now we will be well on our way to scoring 103 goals.
I'm just hoping Bruno can manage to turn my sour mood around, unearth a few players, and somehow get us to 40 points.
The worst thing would be to finish 6th and I have to admit a certain poster from Norfolk was correct.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to see how the squad shapes up before I can really say what I expect, I think we'll be having as much a fresh start as we've ever seen. As it stands I'd take 13th, 45 points and a foundation laid for a push in 22/23. But it could be anything, it could be wonderful and it could be a disaster

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top 10 and some signs of us developing and improving as a team. Anything less is unacceptable.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d be delighted and surprised if we get a top half finish but expect we’ll be lower. If awe don’t get a couple of new players in that hit the ground running it could be a lot lower. Appointing Lage is a massive gamble we didn’t need to take and long shots rarely win. Relegation is more likely than a top 7 finish.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
Looking at the posts on this thread why are expectations so low? Our top players will leave if we don’t get champions league football. What’s the point in getting rid of Nuno and appointing lage if we aim for midtable or 17th as posters seem to be suggesting. There has to be a season when you go for it or else you end up consolidating every season,

Woz_Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Top 10 finish in Bruno's first season would be my hope.
Having a defence that actually defend and cut out the ridiculous errors. I don't mind conceding to a well worked goal but we seemed to give way too many goals away under Nuno which left a mountain to climb.
If Bruno can crack that and give us a cutting edge going forward, could be an interesting season.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Some positive football with goals and Jimenez to come back killing it!
Particularly a higher press would be nice and to not wait till the 2nd half to play.

With the predicted improvement in an attacking half of the team I hope we do some great business at the other end.
It really is an unknown quantity and i'm excited!

We had become boring and predictable so this was needed to inject some life in the team.
Yes we'll see some outs of bigger players but we're bigger than any players and we'll find new heroes.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully)

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too early to say at the moment as we don’t know the squad. I suspect it will either go well or be a disaster, with no middle ground

5 - Lescott

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d like top ten and some entertainment, whilst being a lot more solid defensively, by you know, actually signing defenders.

At this stage though lets be honest it could just as likely be an absolute car crash and that in itself, the not knowing, is more exciting than last season

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell neves for less than 40 million and if we sign that chap from almeira for 25 million then we could go down imo if that’s a sign of things to come

sign an experienced midfielder and centre back and some good first team players then I would expect top 12 playing good football with the occasional huge defeat

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I expect the heart to have been ripped out of the team and many supporters by the apparant ruthless sacking of Nuno.
This will be compounded by exchanging 2 or 3 (I'm being optimistic) of the core quality players with rookies to balance the season gone books.
This will be done under the delusion that we are an established PL team so can now be self sufficient and that any time now we will be well on our way to scoring 103 goals.
I'm just hoping Bruno can manage to turn my sour mood around, unearth a few players, and somehow get us to 40 points.
The worst thing would be to finish 6th and I have to admit a certain poster from Norfolk was correct.

To finish 6th would be an outstanding achievement.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m surprised so many think top ten. I doubt we’ll finish above the Scum Six or Leicester. Add in three from West Ham, Leeds, Villa and Everton who will all strengthen and it’s going to be hard, especially with the likelihood of quite a few new foreign players needing time to acclimatise.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m surprised so many think top ten. I doubt we’ll finish above the Scum Six or Leicester. Add in three from West Ham, Leeds, Villa and Everton who will all strengthen and it’s going to be hard, especially with the likelihood of quite a few new foreign players needing time to acclimatise.

How come our foreign imports will take a while to acclimatise but any of West Ham’s, Leeds’, Villa’s or Everton’s won’t and will help strengthen them right away?

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know why many think we'll ship goals if we play a more attacking style under Lage when his Benfica only conceded 6 in the opening 19 games of his season there.

I think he'll do just fine as long as Fosun have realistic expectations and realise we actually need some first team ready players

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at the posts on this thread why are expectations so low? Our top players will leave if we don’t get champions league football. What’s the point in getting rid of Nuno and appointing lage if we aim for midtable or 17th as posters seem to be suggesting. There has to be a season when you go for it or else you end up consolidating every season,

I agree, but who are our top players?

Neves and Neto? and then what do we have other than that well Raul, but with his injury no one will likely look at him now unless he has a big season this year.

So neves already touted to go.

We arent full of superstars really, good internationals, but no superstars yet.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top 8 , with fans smiling and a positive press.
All happy including Fosun.
Following year Europe as the younger players improve.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you'd rather flirt with relegation and be proved right than us finish 6th and prove NNW right. What kind of a Wolves supporter are you?

Last edited:

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
The traditional Wolves fan in me always means that my first expectation is we won't get relegated! As many have said we really don't know what the team will look like next season but with an exciting new manager we should be looking for a good top half finish and I would really love something better in the cups (FA or League) than the last couple of years.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How come our foreign imports will take a while to acclimatise but any of West Ham’s, Leeds’, Villa’s or Everton’s won’t and will help strengthen them right away?
We’ll have more I suspect. For every Soucek there’s a Semedo.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Don't know why many think we'll ship goals if we play a more attacking style under Lage when his Benfica only conceded 6 in the opening 19 games of his season there.

I think he'll do just fine as long as Fosun have realistic expectations and realise we actually need some first team ready players
Ruben Dias?

ManningtreeWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Realistically I'd be happy with a mid table finish, never worrying the relegation places and treating the FA Cup seriously

Back
Top Bottom