Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle verdict

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lost today before a ball got kicked, unfortunately.

We do not have the squad to compete. It is as simple as that really.

Fosun. FOSUN. ****ING FOSUN. You have known this for about 5 transfer windows lads. Get it now?

When Chem Campbell came on (do not begrudge him his massive moment btw) i felt like i should have been watching an u23 game at Compton. As it was, this was a chance to put ourselves in with a shot of the top 6. It should not have been him coming off the bench to make a difference.

Dress it up as much as you want, Fosun have let Nuno and now Bruno down.
100%

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lost today before a ball got kicked, unfortunately.

We do not have the squad to compete. It is as simple as that really.

Fosun. FOSUN. ****ING FOSUN. You have known this for about 5 transfer windows lads. Get it now?

When Chem Campbell came on (do not begrudge him his massive moment btw) i felt like i should have been watching an u23 game at Compton. As it was, this was a chance to put ourselves in with a shot of the top 6. It should not have been him coming off the bench to make a difference.

Dress it up as much as you want, Fosun have let Nuno and now Bruno down.
There's no dressing up.

Fosun aren't putting money into Wolves, Wolves have no money for transfers.

Can't buy players with hopes and dreams.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just dreadful by Lage tonight. Too late with his subs. Tactics, if there were any, were utter ****e. Campell over Chiquinho, seemingly terrified to sacrifice a centre back even when 1-0 down with 15 mins to go at a crap Newcastle. Absolute crap.
And Campbell brought on to play down the right, when you and I know he's regularly played down the left at U23 level. Why not Campbell left and Neto right?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why no Chiquinho tonight and he brings on Campbell? Then subs on RAN with 8 mins to go and leaves us still with 5 at the back and losing at a ****e Newcastle. Just dreadful by Lage tonight on so many levels.
Agreed Jos.

Kilman excels on the right and apparently prefers right so he ends up on the left. Willy has played his best football on the left and is now playing on the right.

Chem Campbell attacks best coming in from the left, is brought on to play down the right and looks completely lost.

Neto is brought on with, what, 10 or so to go?

Very poor by Lage in my opinion.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just like west ham, the team selection was all wrong. Huang is ok around the area and useless as a wide forward. He doesn't mesh with the team at all. Trincao was back to normal but it's not his fault he wasn't subbed - which cost us the game. The guy cannot play two halves which we all know except bruno. Silva missed a header, had a good shot, and had no help whatsoever, just like Jimenez.

We had two better wide forwards on the bench (if not 3) so we start with the two we know just do not work together, esp away. Compound that with marcal, who had acres of space and did nothing with it. We were just so defensive.

This is on lage because we threw the game away before kicking a ball, compounded by subs which were far too late.

Sa does need to rethink rushing out when strikers are already struggling tho - 3x this season.
Spot on.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No disguising an insipid performance, but crucial minutes and experience for some younger players. Cundle is a good year away from being ready for this level, but he'll have learned more from tonight than five minute cameos here and there. A run in the team is only going to be ultimately beneficial for Silva too. Neto's return is painfully, frustratingly gradual, but that was always going to be the case. Defeat hurts, and our unwillingness to attack during that first half was incomprehensible, but the truth is we're honestly not a top six team, so it's tough to manage the expectations. Win some, lose some.

Hwang, though. Christ. A purchase that's every bit as thick as ironing your own trousers while wearing them. When you set your strategy as Fosun have done, where every £1m counts and the mantra is seeking value, this is a ****ing horror show of money down the drain that far eclipses the investment in Silva. There were times when Hwang actually made Trincao look energetic and effective by comparison.

I can accept young players learning their craft and split-second goalkeeping miscalculations, I can accept experienced players hitting their ceiling and having off-days. But Hwang's sheer inability to control the ball and his disinclination to try and amend whenever he made an error? And his sheer and absolute lack of any quality whatsoever? Infuriating.

If this is Fosun's idea of value and shrewd investment, maybe we're actually better off not having anything to spend in the summer, to be honest.
Who on earth decided to spend the money on Hwang. That’s money that could of been put to good use in the summer. We’d be lucky to get 5 mil back for him.

Sellars our newly self-appointed transfer guru

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last night I would of played a midfield 3 of Moutinho, Saiss and Cundle. It was a very big ask of cundle to play in a midfield 2, sacrifice Trincao. Yes Saiss is now seen as a CB but could slot in for a game and do a job. We all knew we could find ourselves in this position after we didn't strengthen in the window..

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then quite how you have the audacity to slag off Bruno is nuts
Because Wolves issues are not as such a black and white as you make out, whilst I also have half an eye on the future. Bruno is a great manager for setting up a team, but when the other team doesn't do what he was hoping then the game is lost before it has begun, or if they change during the match then he is rarely got the change in him for that. We have 5 subs coming into play next season and sides will be switching their sides up more and more, a manager (who I believe truly earns their position during the match) whos weakness is he can't change a game is an issue, regardless of Fosun funding of Wolves.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact Marcal appeared to be one of our main intended attacking outlets last night raises quite a lot of questions for me. The main one being how can we utilise the summer properly to make sure we never see such a thing happen ever again?

Playing a team that just got rinsed 5-1 and us aiming for Europe and we go at them all guns blazing with Silva. Hwang, Trincao and Marcal. We could still be playing now and I wouldn’t confidently back us to score. No ****ing about this summer Jeff

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slight side note, but is it just me who finds Don Goodman to be the worst commentator on Wolves?

Almost a smug contempt towards the club and audible glee for Newcastle yesterday.

Strange.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn’t have to jump, his natural stride would have carried him past Sa but he altered his stride because he knew he could make it look like a foul
And as much I was shouting cheat at my TV, , Jimenez would have done the same

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Errr wernt vithina and Gibbs white in that mould??
Our trouble is we have a gobby Scouser at the back , telling them to pass it backwards, so he can pass it sideways

I love your positivity aimed at our club and players...

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Team selection was poor by Lage. Mouts aside zero desire from the players. Lage should be doing more to motivate them it's like they've already resigned themselves to finishing 8th.
Won't criticize Sa as he's been immense this season. Woods a donkey but always scores against us, at least we didn't make him look like prime Shearer this time.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my biggest fears is transporting: our squad is too big, and it’s been done by gathering lesser quality players. Hwang & Trincao are a perfect case in point, we should have one better player instead of those two.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa needs to cut the recklessness out.
Boly is still struggling sadly, a few times struggled to get back.
Kilman didn’t seem as confident.
Marcal jumped into two wolves players at two different challenges.

Badly lacked a little bit of nous and experience last night.

I won’t overreact and bin half the team on the back of it like some, but over to you Lage.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's unfair to say we bottled anything.

A poor team were beaten by an average team.

Cundle doesn't get near any Premier League CM. Silva, who I agree played okay, doesn't get near many Premier League starting CF spots. Trincao and Hwang when they play like this it's a similar story.

We didn't bottle anything, that team is just not any good.
It’s happened far to many times to be labelled as anything else. Even dates back to Nuno being in charge. We lack real winners in this squad.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's blooding a few kids but it's not going to cut it against a team battling to keep their premier league pay cheques.

We missed Neves massively and saw a real lack of strength in depth. Apart from one Silva shot no shots on target and a deserved 0 points.
Sa 5
Awful decison to come for the pen. Didn't really have much else to do other than, some of his kicking was dire as well.

Jonny 6
Did ok, ASM did him a few times but always going to and got forward a couple of times.

Kilman 5
Stinker, saved by VAR after goal ruled out and let guys run off him constantly. Looks much better on the right.

Coady 5
Distribution very poor, beat in the air a lot.

Boly 7
Best of the CBs, didn't do much wrong

Marcal 7
Played well, good defensively and put in a brilliant cross that Fabio should have scored.

Moutinho 5
Bossed by Bruno G, rarely passed forwards and dribbled past with ease.

Cundle 5
First half was brutal, as bad as it gets but 2nd half he was ok. Had a big chance to slip Fabio in at the end. Looked better closer to their goal.

Hwang 4
Couple of runs 2nd half were good, but aside from that dire

Fabio 5
Great pass, and a couple of excellent runs. Did ok outside of the box but missed a sitter.

Trincão 3
Disgraceful. Hides constantly, slows down counter attacks because he is glacially slow. Gave the ball away. Was as bad as it gets and not for the first time.

Neto looked sharp when he came on, if he is on at HT we win I think.

Lage didn't really have much choice with the starters (although Jeff tied his hands with midfield) but the lack of subs was inexcusable. Horrific.

Shameful display. To create that little against that Newcastle side is shocking.

If they recruit more players like Bruno then they will be a force though. Absolutely dominated us
Apart from Cundle there were experienced players in that team, certainly enough to beat Newcastle.

But, as pointed out by so many others, it was a shocking display. No desire, no intent, no fight. According to E&S the first 45 minutes was the first time this season the team have not gotten into the opposition penalty box? I seem to recall that end of season away game at Chelsea, under Nuno, where a win (or was it a draw) would have got is into 6th place but we had a similar no show.

The mentality of the team seemed to be to sit back and hope someone produces a bit of magic up front. The whole set up was negative, which ultimately fed into the players. Kilman has been arguably one of our players of the season but even he struggled.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa needs to cut the recklessness out.
Boly is still struggling sadly, a few times struggled to get back.
Kilman didn’t seem as confident.
Marcal jumped into two wolves players at two different challenges.

Badly lacked a little bit of nous and experience last night.

I won’t overreact and bin half the team on the back of it like some, but over to you Lage.
You’d think Moutinho, Marcal, Boly and Coady might have given us that, but no-one played well tbh. What we lacked for me was any drive from midfield or any real attacking intent or threat whatsoever. Silva is game and improving, but Hwang and Trincao could have been replaced by cones. £40 million odd for those two lol.

We seemed to approach this as if we were Atletico travelling to play City at the Etihad, rather than Howe’s rabble who hadn’t beaten a top half team all season. Kept the score down and we’ll get them back in the second leg at home next week

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrible performance highlighting our pitiful lack of squad depth.
So we had to contend with sideways and backwards stuff and hope for a draw.
Funnily enough what ****ed me off most was Silvas's 'love in' with the opposition.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have been left with a squad with youngest and oldest centre midfielder in the whole premier League as our only 2 options. And we wonder why we can't control games. None of us could have got more out of that squad last night. It was over before it had even started.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from Cundle there were experienced players in that team, certainly enough to beat Newcastle.

But, as pointed out by so many others, it was a shocking display. No desire, no intent, no fight. According to E&S the first 45 minutes was the first time this season the team have not gotten into the opposition penalty box? I seem to recall that end of season away game at Chelsea, under Nuno, where a win (or was it a draw) would have got is into 6th place but we had a similar no show.

The mentality of the team seemed to be to sit back and hope someone produces a bit of magic up front. The whole set up was negative, which ultimately fed into the players. Kilman has been arguably one of our players of the season but even he struggled.

I can't think of one other side who is playing a 19 year old in a midfield 2.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the benefit of hindsight, Chiquino should have started...

We could have had mbappe staring it would have made nowt difference because we couldn't move the ball out of our own half.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't think of one other side who is playing a 19 year old in a midfield 2.
As I wrote, apart from Cundle. We shouldn’t be producing last night’s performance because of one player. If the whole team is nervous, negative and seemingly disinterested it’s going to rub off.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa 5
Awful decison to come for the pen. Didn't really have much else to do other than, some of his kicking was dire as well.

Jonny 6
Did ok, ASM did him a few times but always going to and got forward a couple of times.

Kilman 5
Stinker, saved by VAR after goal ruled out and let guys run off him constantly. Looks much better on the right.

Coady 5
Distribution very poor, beat in the air a lot.

Boly 7
Best of the CBs, didn't do much wrong

Marcal 7
Played well, good defensively and put in a brilliant cross that Fabio should have scored.

Moutinho 5
Bossed by Bruno G, rarely passed forwards and dribbled past with ease.

Cundle 5
First half was brutal, as bad as it gets but 2nd half he was ok. Had a big chance to slip Fabio in at the end. Looked better closer to their goal.

Hwang 4
Couple of runs 2nd half were good, but aside from that dire

Fabio 5
Great pass, and a couple of excellent runs. Did ok outside of the box but missed a sitter.

Trincão 3
Disgraceful. Hides constantly, slows down counter attacks because he is glacially slow. Gave the ball away. Was as bad as it gets and not for the first time.

Neto looked sharp when he came on, if he is on at HT we win I think.

Lage didn't really have much choice with the starters (although Jeff tied his hands with midfield) but the lack of subs was inexcusable. Horrific.

Shameful display. To create that little against that Newcastle side is shocking.

If they recruit more players like Bruno then they will be a force though. Absolutely dominated us

Was gonna write a verdict but you saved me the trouble, pretty much agree other than I think Kilman deserved less out of 10 than Trinc.

Absolutely awful game to watch, I thought it would end 0-0 as both teams constantly turned the ball over, the stat at half time that said we hadnt had the ball in their 18 yard box pretty much sums it up, we were playing for 6th but looked like we were settling for a draw from kick off.
You have to question the tactics when the game plan is to hit it long and high to your teenage striker up against a 7ft defender!
Thought Marcal and Boly tne best of a bad bunch.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think you can lay the blame at all 3 elements after last nights performance.

Players looked lethargic, clueless and didnt put a shift in. (fabio, moutinho, boly only ones to say they did ok, and no blame on cundle). Trincao should be playing for his wolves career, it didnt look like that at all, hwang likewise for a spot in the 11 before pod and neto return. Both were anonymous. We looked like the midtable team with nothing to play for not 2pts off europe.

Ive been so positive about the manager this season and it still has been a fantastic seasony by a new coach who has been out the game for a few years in a new league taking over from a much well liked previous manager, could lose every game left and it would still be a good seasons work from him. But last night was real poor. Not blaming the team selection but we had no fight, looked out of ideas and NO subs til 78mins?!? Thats bad. Considering how poor we were you would bring on subs earlier than planned not later. Thought it was Brunos worst game in charge.
Brentford at home was the worst performance but that was because no player turned up. This game was still there at 0-0 late in the day.

And finally the board. The chickens coming home to roost last night with 3yrs of small squad we are paying the price now when europe was so close. This is why you sign that midfielder or additional options. Purely for games like this and its why we wont get into europe until it changes. You have to caveat and say would Fosun rather save millions in wages for 3yrs than get into Europe lesser competition for one season. They definitely would take that. Fans would say the opposite. With more competition next year from a better Leicester, free spending Villa and Newcastle, we have probably missed the boat now. And while they will have made a tidy profit, the cliche is if youre standing still you're going backwards. I feel off the field thats exactly where we are. Standing still.
If prices rise and Ruben leaves i can see it going south very quickly.

Wow that was longer than i first planned, apologies if you read from the top.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our best period was before the subs came on.

We were dire in that first half, mildly better for a bit and then dire again. In hindsight the subs didn’t make a positive impact, but a change or two should have been made at half time IMV. Playing with Hwang and Trincao was like us practically playing with 9 players anyways. I was just amazed at us being utterly gash and Lage persisting with it and seeming reluctant to change anything. Marcal serving as one of our main attacking outlets whilst Ait Nouri is sat on the bench till the last few mins left for example?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom