Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle verdict

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the changes in the game since the 70's is how much easier it is to get penalties now. The Wood one is pretty much always a penalty these days, though maybe 30 years, would have been rarely given. Some of those types, the one-on-one attacker collides with keeper are really hard to call. The Wood one isn't. It's clear as day he drags his foot to create the collision. I dont' like it, but it's such a part of the game now. I thought refs had a guideline to consider "who initiated the contact" this season? Well, that's back in the realms of the totally subjective in most cases.

A couple of years back, they were saying that goals in open play were declining steadily in the Premier League, over time. Which is a problem as it's what the game is all about. But the number of penalties had increased significantly. It seems that this is how they are compensating for all the marginal offsides that are chalked off, and the dominance of defences at this level. Give cheap penalties to open up the match. No consolation, because even a couple of seasons, Newcastles disallowed goal would have been allowed every time and they would still have won.

But then, it's not just penalties. So many of the fouls given are not really fouls. Similar to the Wood incident, a player runs into any part of an opponents body then does a spectacular dive. Some players have it as a key part if their game - as it makes opponents scared to go near them. The only answer I can see , as it's too difficult to judge in real time and we don't want VAR checks for every collision, is much more use of post-match video evidence. 3 match bans for players who dive and "initiate contact".

BTW I like the style of that article, the writer articulates it really well. Yes, it's a penalty, but really shouldn't be if the game was genuine and fair.
It’s a really odd site, 1/4 of it is unprovoked three paragraph attacks against the Mackems, 1/4 of it is courting controversy from comments found on opposition forums, 1/4 of it is “the world is against us”.

And yet for the final quarter, there’s the article today and another good recent one where someone voices their unease about the Saudi owners, but reflects that individually they can’t do much as a fan.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's one thing that Fabio does, that some other players don't do, that will always mean I think more kindly of him, whatever his flaws. It was supremely evident last night. When he receives the ball and lays it off, he moves IMMEDIATELY
Spot on.

Fabio moves, Neto moves, Podence moves, Jonny moves. They stand out because of it
Exactly.

Hwang is far better in the box, he has that ability to pull away from a defender and give himself a yard of space, but outside of it, he's dead weight.
Agree entirely.

I'd be intrigued to see Silva and Hwang as a proper front two with MGW behind them, all three in their best positions,
Yes please.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
Ah, good to see our resident Viler back... Missed you last week...
What I should have said was that even if the Vile did lose 0-4 to Spurs at least they tried. They had more shots on goal than we have had since Christmas.
If our lot had had their commitment on Friday we would have taken 3 gift points from the Toon, easily.

Wolfiebill

Groupie
Reaction score
Disagree . It’s cheating

IMO, it was more of a dive than a trip (why would Sa trip him in that position?) I think Wood was VERY unlikely to score if he got past Sa legitimately. I think it's another case of either the Ref / VAR being niaive or having been conned.

The question I would ask is "If Sa's leg was a crocodile, would you have been able to jump over it?"

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMO, it was more of a dive than a trip (why would Sa trip him in that position?) I think Wood was VERY unlikely to score if he got past Sa legitimately. I think it's another case of either the Ref / VAR being niaive or having been conned.

The question I would ask is "If Sa's leg was a crocodile, would you have been able to jump over it?"

The question I would ask is "If Sa's leg was a crocodile, what on earth have you been taking?" :D

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With decisions like this I always find it rational to think ‘how would we feel if it was the other way round’.

We’d all be screaming for a penalty and claiming top 6 cartel bias if it wasn’t given.

It was a pen and we deserved **** all from the game. The end.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wood made contact with Sa. Sa did not make contact with Wood. Watch the footage, Wood dragged his feet to win the penalty, cheating.
Absolutely, it was even less a penalty than the villa one.

Mind you their offside goal looked level to me. And they were the better team (or we managed to be the worst) .

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It boils my p#ss that they get way with the foot drag to initiate contact but its been going on for years, the authorities show no interest in doing anything about it, keepers and defenders have to learn and show more nous. I thought it was a pen initially, after seeing the replay, I thought, yep he's dragged his foot and bought that, they'll still give a pen, never crossed my mind that var would change it.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Just been reading Burnley fans forum and there was a thread on last nights game. Quote from Burnley fan - "how ****e were Wolves last night" NSS!
When even Burnley fans think you were rubbish you’re in trouble, they’d know probably better than anyone what crap football looks like.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Neves, Jimenez, Podence, Dendoncher, Semedo, all missing from the lineup. At the end Wolves had a very young team on the pitch. Newcastle were physically bigger, stronger, and more mature. However, the youngsters will have gained a little more experience.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Performances like Fridays makes me wonder how the hell we are in 8th place

Yes, I feel that too. Last season as well. How on earth we finished 13th when you consider how poorly we played against the bottom 3 (other than for the first 15 minutes of the first match v Sheff U, when we looked amazing). Especially when those 3 were so far adrift, they were 3 of the worst teams the league has seen. Yet we barely looked any better for 95% of those matches.

I rambled about this before, it's reminding me of the 1990's in the Championship. Get to the edge of the top 3, then not turn up at all and lose to Grimsby or Oxford. Too many inconsistent players at the required level. Too many who can do well "on a good day", but then do nothing for a match or two.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we are 2 days on now....

And I'm still ****ed off.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And me, I've stayed away from the forum until now as I'm still ****ed off and I've not read most of the comments, every time we come within touching distance of really getting in amongst the European places we put in a turgid performance like Fridays.

We really can't deal with teams that play with anything resembling a high press, the defence was forced in to so many mistakes, everything was sideways and backwards and Hwang and Trincao were anonymous as ****

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I've no doubt that Bruno is too.
Hopefully the players feel the same.

Let's come back v Burnley BIG TIME!!!
6 games left for us to right the wrongs and come back with all guns blazing !!!!

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to ask one more question seeing as a Newcastle friend (who didn’t even go) is giving me grief.

The flag display/Local Hero etc. before the game made it feel like the place was bouncing. After that, other than the cheers for the disallowed goal, the penalty and then from the 93rd minute onward, I barely heard the Newcastle fans all night. We were stood up all match, had loads of chants of the Moutinho song, Born under a Wanderers Scarf, and a few renditions of ‘football in a library’ but no answer from the locals.

Sky Sports have done their usual ‘best fans in the world TM’ tweet but the footage is taken after the final whistle. The BBC live text said the place was flat.

Anyone else either watching on telly or at SJP have any thoughts? Either being stuck up in level 7 completely distorts it, or the place was silent.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

After the weekends results I’m more annoyed. 2 games where we could have really pushed on and we have thrown chances away. Forget recruitment it comes down to coaching and decisions.

beppe7619

Reaction score
Got to ask one more question seeing as a Newcastle friend (who didn’t even go) is giving me grief.

The flag display/Local Hero etc. before the game made it feel like the place was bouncing. After that, other than the cheers for the disallowed goal, the penalty and then from the 93rd minute onward, I barely heard the Newcastle fans all night. We were stood up all match, had loads of chants of the Moutinho song, Born under a Wanderers Scarf, and a few renditions of ‘football in a library’ but no answer from the locals.

Sky Sports have done their usual ‘best fans in the world TM’ tweet but the footage is taken after the final whistle. The BBC live text said the place was flat.

Anyone else either watching on telly or at SJP have any thoughts? Either being stuck up in level 7 completely distorts it, or the place was silent.
The place was silent up until the pen. There crowd made that pen. But sjp does echo that can make it intimidating. Maybe we should do something at the molineux to keep the noise in the stadium

beppe7619

Reaction score
After the weekends results I’m more annoyed. 2 games where we could have really pushed on and we have thrown chances away. Forget recruitment it comes down to coaching and decisions.
I just watched the highlights trinco giving the ball away while our players are up the pitch by passing it backwards then not bothering to run back

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wasn’t particularly loud or intimidating, but I was on the back row so admittedly the sound may struggle to get up that high. Sounded a bit louder when I watched the re run on Sky and couldn’t really hear us too much on Sky either but guess that depends on where Sky put the mics and what they choose to put out.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno at least acknowledged this pre-match so if his coaching skills are any good he should sort it, but guess it will not happen overnight
I said it in another thread.
Those that know Bruno have said his analysis of opposition is so detailed and precise - I can only assume one of two things:

1. That he didn’t know Newcastle were going to do this OR
2. That our players absolutely failed to execute his game plan

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The place was silent up until the pen. There crowd made that pen. But sjp does echo that can make it intimidating. Maybe we should do something at the molineux to keep the noise in the stadium

Our fans wouldn't even boo the cheat that sent off Jiminez - good luck!

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I should have said was that even if the Vile did lose 0-4 to Spurs at least they tried. They had more shots on goal than we have had since Christmas.
If our lot had had their commitment on Friday we would have taken 3 gift points from the Toon, easily.
Yet we beat them both o_O

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our fans wouldn't even boo the cheat that sent off Jiminez - good luck!
You said that in the Villa verdict thread. I think watching it live it looked like it could've been a foul, even though it clearly wasn't, so that's one reason the ref didn't get too much **** off us. I actually think we're at our best when we're up against it, the atmosphere at Molineux is vile when the refs clearly **** up. Although I get frustrated about the lack of variety in our songs these days, the atmosphere at Molineux is still in the top 5 in the PL.

Back
Top Bottom