Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle, new year's day 1990 where you there?

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Johnny Phillips is making a feature for Sky Sports about the famous plane journey to Newcastle on New Year’s Day 1990. He is trying to track these fans down. If you know who they are can you get in touch. He is also looking to speak to anyone with an interesting story about travelling there by coach/car. Message him on twitter please @skyjohnnyp

45184512_357120671525555_543332913635131392_n.jpg

45292617_316128932517566_8266934153484697600_n.jpg

45355518_326547114791463_1643770974446813184_n.jpg

45227956_717635955281215_2135735873063354368_n.jpg

45289499_925338654336941_5400702632035614720_n.jpg

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The second one down is Steve Coogan

Edit: And Joe Pasquale is sitting behind the chap in bottom photo.

I personally was in Bermuda as squadron was deploying to Vegas early in that New Year. I do remember hearing score line in a pub in Hamilton

Last edited:
R

reanswolf

I was there with 2 mates , the lad who does the Wolfsburg flag thing, and a lad who had never flown, Borstal he was known as . An unreal day!

andy-in-seat-190

Reaction score
I was there - stood in the Gallowgate End with a Geordie flat mate (I lived in Edinburgh at the time - so this was the closest game for me). It was surreal at the end when the Geordies clapped us off the pitch - I was given a round of support as well as I left at the end

D

Deleted member 4382

I was there. Great day.
My old fellas xr2 broke down on the way home. Didn’t get back to MCR until the early hours.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The game Bully scored 4 after an hour of sleep!

He's said he was still very drunk when the game kicked off, but found his feet in the second half.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Less than two months before being born, so.... no.

Hexham Wolf

Reaction score
Yes I was there, lived in Gateshead at the time, surrounded by Toon fans. Walked to the game as there was no public transport with my late Dad and brother. I still have the video of the game and I can see my Dad in his peaked cap in the Wolves end as we celebrate the goals. One of my best away games as wolf!

Both my brother and I still live up here and beating Newcastle is always a delight, we were sat in the Gallowgate end, among the hardcore when we beat them 2-0 a couple of years ago. What a delight but nowhere near as joyous as this game on NYD.

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
I was there, feeling a bit worse for wear with the early start, nursing a hangover and followed by 5 hours of travelling through mist, mizzle and fog on a Hatherton Wolves coach.

What a day though. Will always be one of the best away days I've ever had.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there. Fantastic day! Didn't Bully sneak out of the team hotel and go on the beer the night before?

D

Deleted member 3751

All I know is I was 11, and was listening to WM for the first time on my nan's radio in the kitchen.

It must stick in the memory!!

Air Wolf 90

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was there (hence the user name). I think I was sitting in front of the guy in the last picture on the flight as you could just see me on the Central news footage that evening (a 'handsome' 15 year old singing "going up going up" as we took off). So many memories of that great day; the experience was enough but the result was something else. Newcastle 1 - 4 Steve Bull. Magnificent. On the first plane with Albert and Muriel who organised it.

It was my first away game and a great experience. It obviously clouded my judgement of distance as my second away game was to Plymouth (1-0 Mutch) a month later (by coach, about 7 hours). It was almost as cold as Newcastle that day.

EDIT I've just checked the central news footage on youtube and I'm sat directly behind the guy in the striped jumper in the last picture. As the camera pans on you can just see me and my Dad. The best Christmas present. Ever.

Last edited:

Wulfruniac

Reaction score
Flew up there with a load of mates. It was mayhem in the away end. We were well oiled so memories are not too clear, but I remember it was ****ing freezing and I also remember the Wolves Santa rolling around on the touch line, barely able to stand. Fantastic.

Only downside to an unbelievable day was being stuck in Newcastle airport for ages on the way back. One of the last (if not the last) plane to take off back to BHX. Ironically, the Wolves team coach, which had driven all the way back, overtook our coach on the A449 on the way back to Molineux.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Wasn’t born then, so I missed this one please don’t take my AST off me lol.

My dad was there though he’s told me before will ask him for what he remembers!

E

E is for idiot.

I was there. Fantastic day! Didn't Bully sneak out of the team hotel and go on the beer the night before?

He told a story about at The Cleveland Arms a while back. He said that he couldn't convince anyone to go to a nightclub with him after they had been on the beers so he went to bed. He reckons the Newcastle players must have gone to the nightclub which is why we tonked them.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I travelled up on my own for this, pretty remarkable given I was 3.

Feel fortunate I get away with tickets now as thought my lack of loyalty points from this game would have made the upcoming Arsenal match hard to come by.

W

Wolfgang Wolf

Couldnt afford the plane (£59 ?) drove up with 3 mates.
Probably our greatest ever away performance.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will never forget the singing at a packed Birmingham Airport early on New Year’s Day. Just incredible. Nor the bloke who had overdone it on New Year’s Eve and chucked up on the coach. Those were the days my friends ...

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was there, just not on the plane! I seem to remember a particularly cold and uncomfortable 5 hour coach journey leaving at some ungodly hour with a hangover.. Still what an amazing day - probably my best ever away day... As others have said, Those indeed were the days my friend...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4456

I was in utero at the time. My dad went though, apparently.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is Chorley all over again!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well I definitely wasn't there (or Chorley!) as I was serving at RAF Coltishall in Norfolk and I can clearly remember walking along the sands at Bacton on the North Norfolk coast listening on the radio as the score flashes came in. For me I can only remember the great games or the really **** ones - the other 90% are pretty much a blank with me now! A great way to start the new year!

Justawolf

Reaction score
Drove up the day before and had a great new years eve in whiteley Bay. Best away day ever

D

Deleted member 4099

I was there up very early for a long train journey. What a day.

Darren M (Dazza)

Reaction score
Only 14 at the time. Bully was me and my brothers hero. Just remember running around the house shouting. Oooo bully bully.

R

reanswolf

6 or 7 Monarch Airlines planes transported 1200 Wolves fans, sad they have gone broke now, but it was great with the airline's colours being gold and black.

wolvesandbooze

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I went on Muriel coaches. I can remember a random Indian guy giving me a lift back to Blackheath (where I lived at the time) from Wolverhampton. Amazing day...I was hanging out my **** all the way there from the day before.

D

Deleted member 4023

I travelled up on my own for this, pretty remarkable given I was 3.

Feel fortunate I get away with tickets now as thought my lack of loyalty points from this game would have made the upcoming Arsenal match hard to come by.

****** glory hunter :D

M

Monk

I was there with my wife. Stayed with a mate on new years eve. He was a non drinker so me and the mrs went out for a beer but couldnt get one as it was ticket only in the pubs so had to go to bed early (we hadn't long married so we didn't mind). We were probably the only sober wolves fans in the ground that day! to
Some one mentioned the guy who does the Wolfsburg thing. That's Big Rob we used to sit by him at away games. I know he is occasionally in the board don't know what his user name is but I know he struggles for tickets so if you ever have any spare he is a deserving recipient i always offer him any i can.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there with Telford Wolves. I can see myself jumping up and down when the goals rained in.

Reaction score
Santa is Kev Round from Codsall at the time, crazy top bloke! He was helping the groundsmen folk the pitch at half time.

D

Deleted member 4023

Planes????? Planes you say........
We had to make do with a smelly transit van from Manchester - not sure which was worse, the smell of the van in general or the the b.o., urine farts & sick from most of the occupants. Never borrow a van from a fruit & veg wholesaler.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was also there my second flight, caused some issues was supposed to be in Glasgow, however, decided football came first.

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
didn’t go but sat in the Rock Tettenhall with a very excitable Derek Dougan.

D

Deleted member 3518

Couldn't make it, was still stuck in Chorley trying to get a lift home.:D

Back
Top Bottom