Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nelson Semedo

D

Deleted member 4152

50/50 I'm afraid. If Jonny and Marcal were both fit, then Semedo does not play. Too suspect defensively. Hope to god that aspect of his game, improves otherwise a costly mistake.
Doc was way more effective than Semedo is, I’d sign Doc back for 10mill in the summer, spurs fans think hes ****, hes loved here. Lets get him back.
Hopefully you have told Nuno this.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ironically fullbacks generally dont have to defend very much playing for Barca.

And there in lies the problem, he'd probably be fantastic in a team that dominates possession but he's come to a team that gives up the majority of possession and sits back and defends for 90% of the game.
Hopefully if we do make a transition into a more attacking team he will come into his own.

D

Deleted member 11332

And there in lies the problem, he'd probably be fantastic in a team that dominates possession but he's come to a team that gives up the majority of possession and sits back and defends for 90% of the game.
Hopefully if we do make a transition into a more attacking team he will come into his own.

Think he's starting to personally, he's been our best player over the last month or so. His defending is not always great but he's a pretty good 1v1 defender in general and wins his battles there. Does tend to get lackadaisical when someone pushes it wide to cross and positionally he's sometimes at sea (part of the blame for that is on Coady, that's his job to ensure the full back is in position.)

All in all, I think he's going to be an excellent signing for us over the next 3/4 years.

tf7

Reaction score
Not going to be popular based on this thread but whilst he is generally comfortable carrying the ball forwards a lot of his play has been poor and defensively he has been awful.

Just a few examples, Southampton scored because he switched off and let Walcott tap in, Villa gave away penalty after letting McGinn get the wrong side and making a clumsy challenge, at Liverpool he again switched off and got wrong side of Mane by a distance, in stretching to get back put into his own net. At Burnley he got caught up field and didn’t track their full back who crosses for their first. Everton’s first goal he gets caught underneath the ball in no mans land and doesn’t close down quick enough, even turning his back as it was pulled back. Palace he is more interesting in protecting himself from the cross hitting him and it deflects to Ayew who lays it across our box to Eze and last night even before the calamity for their goal he stopped tracking back allowing Pepe to run in ahead of him to get on the end of Smith-Rowes pull back when it hit the bar.

You may think some of that is pedantic but it’s a long list already of defensive lapses that have cost us.

Fundamentally for a man who played full back all his life, is 27 and came from a big club there are worrying deficiencies in his game, mainly his body position when faced with a player out wide, he doesn’t look to press or force the opponent wide, he gets caught square and standing off which is why he was beaten by the likes of Pepe and McGinn and why he wasn’t prepared to stop Clynes attempted cross.

Hopefully Nuno and his staff can work on him but the fear is at his age with his experience this is going to keep happening because for a defender he doesn’t sense danger and doesn’t seem to have the work ethic to counter his own failings
I have nicknamed him "Bambi on ice"

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On WhoScored, he is our second highest rated player over this whole season, on 7.0.

He is a bit of an enigma - For 60 minutes of each match, he's Champions League. But for 5 minutes of each match, he's Sunday League :)

That sounds fair to me. Plenty of exaggerations in here, but that one looks on point.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100%. Not every goal is a defensive error. Credit the attacker.

Felt like he got a bit unlucky with the bounce, and whilst he potentially could have been stronger, Pepe was also in the box at that point so he had to be careful.
Pepe got two lucky bounces leading to a quality finish, but to have got two bounces was very unfortunate for us.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On WhoScored, he is our second highest rated player over this whole season, on 7.0.

He is a bit of an enigma - For 60 minutes of each match, he's Champions League. But for 5 minutes of each match, he's Sunday League :)
What is he for the other 25? o_O

Justice League?

Rocket League?

Or 20,000 leagues under the sea?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is he for the other 25? o_O

Justice League?

Rocket League?

Or 20,000 leagues under the sea?

For 25 minutes he's watching Traore and thinking "WTF do I do now?" :D Or thinking " Well, this is certainly a change from the Nou Camp. What happened?".

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I guess at barca all he had to
Do was pass to messi. Job done, now he has to work his *******s off.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc was way more effective than Semedo is, I’d sign Doc back for 10mill in the summer, spurs fans think hes ****, hes loved here. Lets get him back.
He wanted out, he can stay out, particularly given some of the comments he made about the move. He's a year older and has had a dire season. Let the past stay in the past, particularly if we plan to play 4 at the back in the future. Doc is a Chump class at best FB as opposed to WB.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11157

Pretty sure everyone involved in or wanting the Doc out Semedo in deals would, outside of the agents, switch back tomorrow.

I certainly don't think he's a better player. If he'd been a free from Boavista then okay but this guy is expected to be much better. I would say much the same about Podence who appears a frilly version of Micheal Branch or Sako who does something lovely then lives off it for four games. The wing backs have been deeply concerning for me this season and the root of our dismay. I don't particularly rate the striker they bought but then again I am a miserable git.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Comfortably our best player last night until the goal.

Got into a disagreement with an Arsenal mate when I said it was terrible defending. He said I needed to just appreciate that it was quality from Pepe. Maybe meet somewhere in the middle?
He looks good going forwards, but struggles with defence.

It doesn't help that he has to work with Adama who offers little support.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He looks good going forwards, but struggles with defence.

It doesn't help that he has to work with Adama who offers little support.
He looks better on the left as you say going forward he is alright it’s the defending that has cost us a fair few points this season maybe he could be turned into an attacking midfielder? If only we went for sergi roberto off Barcelona instead him and Adama would of already blossomed

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho is a year older, no Jota, no Jonny, no Raul which explains that. All much better and more important players than Mr Gloves.

Doc scored 15 goals in 2 seasons since coming up from the champ but yeah ok what ever you say.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes we overpaid big time for Semedo but I think he's proving to be a very decent player. We get a lot of options with him.

I'd only bring Doc back if we get relegated.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes we overpaid big time for Semedo but I think he's proving to be a very decent player. We get a lot of options with him.

If we got relegated (we won't) surely we'd just promote Hoever to a starting berth rather than throw a big sum of money at a near 30 year old?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We signed an international FB with over 100 appearances for Barca. How did we "seriously overpay"?
Doc's age alone means that l wouldn't bring him back unless he was dirt cheap and willing to take a serious pay cut. He's hardly one for the future...

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah yes, goals are always the medium in which people judge successful wingbacks/Fullbacks.

Doherty must have been better than maldini as he's never scored 15 in 2 seasons.
I think you're being grossly unfair there, Maldini was the other side. I think you should be comparing him to Cafu - who in over 400 league games managed... 15 goals

Anyone would think we've sold Cafu the way people go on about him

D

Deleted member 11332

I think you're being grossly unfair there, Maldini was the other side. I think you should be comparing him to Cafu - who in over 400 league games managed... 15 goals

Anyone would think we've sold Cafu the way people go on about him

Absolutely pathetic return compared to Sir Matt of house Doherty. He should hang his head in shame.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Absolutely pathetic return compared to Sir Matt of house Doherty. He should hang his head in shame.
Doc scored more than Cafu??? He should get even more praise then. He was a great servant to the club, who stayed through thick and thin. Just because he was sold this year and now wears different colours people shouldn't write him off completely. But, we move on. Unfortunately because of fee and reputation, comparisons on productivity between Doc and Semedo will always happen, with fans expecting more of Semedo because of it.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc scored more than Cafu??? He should get even more praise then. He was a great servant to the club, who stayed through thick and thin. Just because he was sold this year and now wears different colours people shouldn't write him off completely. But, we move on. Unfortunately because of fee and reputation, comparisons on productivity between Doc and Semedo will always happen, with fans expecting more of Semedo because of it.
Doc stayed, at least pre-Nuno, because no one else wanted him.
After that he 'stayed through thick and thin' until he got a move he fancied. A move actually actively initiated by him moving to Gestifute and asking them to make a move happen. He's said that publicly.
I still respect his service and won't slag him off but nor will l put him on an unmerited pedestal.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah yes, goals are always the medium in which people judge successful wingbacks/Fullbacks.

Doherty must have been better than maldini as he's never scored 15 in 2 seasons.

But yet we are worse defensively as well. 'Yeah but yeah but yeah but'.

Lets just face facts, there is zero doubt we were better off with Doherty than we so far have been with Semedo and when you add in the fee it just compounds the situation.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo at Barcelona in 124 games, 2 goals 11 assists

Doherty at Wolves in prem era 95 games 15 goals 15 assists

And lets not forget one of those two played for one of the most attacking sides in world football while the other played for one of the most defensive sides in football. Absolutely blows my mind how anybody can dismiss what Doc did for us given our entire system up until the very recent switch to a back four relied entirely on the wing backs.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Semedo is alright, but for the fee and where he came from for now disappointed would sum it up better.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Semedo has fallen into the "wolves curse" in that if you dont start brilliantly theres an element of fans that just wont ever see past that either through stupidity or not willing to accept they are wrong. He's nowhere near as bad defensively as people make out.
Thats not a 'Wolves curse', its a human one, and I doubt you'll find things different with fans at any other club.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like him.

I think in his first month or so with us he looked off the pace and was getting caught positionally a lot but has steadily improved and his displays over the last two months have been impressive. His performances can be tainted by some costly moments (eg the goal we conceded vs Arsenal came from his poor first touch and also missed opportunity to recover).

Him vs Doc - hhmmm some ups and downs. He's clearly in front of Doc technically and is stronger with two feet and I actually think better defensively. However doesn't yet offer us the same relentless overlap & goals that we got from Doc and seems to err on playing the ball back and holding his position more than gambling. Also I don't think he's yet got the same level of understanding with Traore in terms of when to go/stay, etc (which may well be contributing towards Traore not having such a strong season).

Give him a pre-season with Nuno and I think we'll see an even better player next season.

D

Deleted member 11332

But yet we are worse defensively as well. 'Yeah but yeah but yeah but'.

Lets just face facts, there is zero doubt we were better off with Doherty than we so far have been with Semedo and when you add in the fee it just compounds the situation.

Zero doubt haha.

It's impossible to compare seeing as we are missing two of our best players from last year so anything people say is opinion not fact.

I'd say if semedo was in the team last year we finish higher up the table than we did.

As I said earlier, spurs played a central midfielder at rwb and left ya man on the bench. Shows exactly how good he is, whilst semedo has come from Barcelona and winning multiple titles. Levels.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
Semedo has fallen into the "wolves curse" in that if you dont start brilliantly theres an element of fans that just wont ever see past that either through stupidity or not willing to accept they are wrong. He's nowhere near as bad defensively as people make out.

I think that's probably matched by an element that will try to exaggerate the positives in his performances to justify the fee we have paid or his reputation.

Although his general play is improving, he ultimately hasn't contributed the same goals and assists as Doherty so far and has been found wanting in defence.

I think he's OK. Nothing more, nothing less.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo at Barcelona in 124 games, 2 goals 11 assists

Doherty at Wolves in prem era 95 games 15 goals 15 assists

And lets not forget one of those two played for one of the most attacking sides in world football while the other played for one of the most defensive sides in football. Absolutely blows my mind how anybody can dismiss what Doc did for us given our entire system up until the very recent switch to a back four relied entirely on the wing backs.
Hmmm... If you are a FB at Barca your job is to feed Messi, not to score yourself! If you tried to do a Doc l suspect that you'd rapidly be told to "get out of my space" lol.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc did **** all for 7 years. And he got about 2 assists in his first 15 appearances in the new formation...not exactly mind blowing.

Then comparing his stats over a 3 year period in a system where this whole little era began. Hardly any change in the team selection to deal with, playing week in week out, not one week rwb then lwb, then rb then lb.

To a fella who joined 4 month ago.

Last edited:

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a weird one for me with Semedo. On the one hand I can see he's an extremely talented footballer. He is very capable of making things happen and can be great to watch. He absolutely terrifies me at times defensively though. A real mixed bag. Would be interesting to see how our crowd would be reacting to him? All things considered though I think he has been improving. If the team as a whole could find some form it would certainly help us see the best of him. It's been a really tough season to come into.

Back
Top Bottom