Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nelson Semedo

T

TheConcourse

Out of all the players that we signed last summer, this guy came with the most pressure IMO.

Some context:
  • New country
  • Huge fee
  • Expectation from Barca
  • New club
  • New teammates
  • System changes weekly (3, 4, 5 at the back)
  • Creating a relationship with Adama (good luck!)
And he's still churning out 7/10s most weeks.

This guy has been thrown straight into the deep end of the Premier League, often faced with defending against a forward player and a WB, and he's been solid.

We've had a couple of errors that have led to goals along the way (spoiler: that's going to happen against world-class players). But, we've also seen him start to travel with the ball quickly, slowly start to build a relationship with Adama and definitely improve defensively.

I'm impressed with him. The comparisons to Doc are utterly irrelevant.

Doc rode a wave of success at a lower level from day one in a team that was drilled in one system. Semedo hasn't had that. Early signs are good IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Comfortably our best player last night until the goal.

Got into a disagreement with an Arsenal mate when I said it was terrible defending. He said I needed to just appreciate that it was quality from Pepe. Maybe meet somewhere in the middle?

T

TheConcourse

Got into a disagreement with an Arsenal mate when I said it was terrible defending. He said I needed to just appreciate that it was quality from Pepe. Maybe meet somewhere in the middle?
100%. Not every goal is a defensive error. Credit the attacker.

Felt like he got a bit unlucky with the bounce, and whilst he potentially could have been stronger, Pepe was also in the box at that point so he had to be careful.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is improving.

But there are two things I’d like to see him improve on.

1) Strength, he does get muscled off the ball a bit too frequently for my liking and ends up on the deck. Pepe’s goal last night being an example.

2) Periodically he seems to lash at the ball on the volley/ half volley skewing the ball up or sideways and putting the pressure back on us. This happened more than once last night, a particularly bad example was in injury time when he did this and it led directly to an Arsenal free kick that gave the Arsenal gk a chance to lump it into the box. He needs to cut this out.

But credit where it is due, he’s starting to show more signs of why he’s played for Barcelona and why he came with such a high price tag.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t know what neves is doing playing it to him there, and traore is nowhere to be seen offering himself for a way out of a dangerous situation.

We need a consistent side so semedo and traore can form some sort of partnership down that side.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really like Semedo. He is a natural wing back with great flair, pace and attacking intent. His defensive game is developing too, and I'm happy to have him here as the first choice.

It's easy to criticise him for defensive errors, but I think they also need to be put into the context of the wider defensive unit. Semedo is often left very exposed and unsupported down that side, particularly when he's partnering Adama. I also worry about the support offered by centre backs in these positions, particularly Coady. That all being said, he does need to be stronger in the challenge and be mindful that his supporting runs forward leaves the whole defence exposed - that's not inherently a bad thing, because he needs to make those runs - but he needs better awareness of this to make the right judgement.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last night was similar to Southampton for me in the sense that he was excellent barring one mistake/lapse and that mistake led to a goal (have to credit Pepe though - still had plenty to do). He likes to try to nick the ball away rather than just wait and jockey, but he nicks it away a lot and off he goes.

Was noticeable last night though that he was making more runs inside, similar to what Doherty did, and almost linked up well with Willian Jose in the second half. It's gradually coming for him, we'll have some great full backs both sides when Jonny returns

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
I like his ability to intercept and drive forward. Not afraid to have a pop from outside the box which I like too. He has actually played well recently but obviously when you do make defensive mistakes they are usually catastrophic and lead to goals. He’s not totally to blame but I’m sure he will feel he can do better. I like him.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he’s been one of, if not our best player over the past couple of months to be honest. However the goal last night was an absolute shocker from him, from the poor touch to getting turned inside out.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has been very good in parts the last month or so. He just seems to always be prone to a complete "wally" moment.

Having another wally infront of him isnt helping either.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He shows more game after game, but always seems to have a mistake in him. I also think his concentration lapses leading to mistakes, wrong positioning etc... Good player, but a £35m player? Jury still out for me.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got his body shape all wrong for the goal, if he cuts that out he will improve his defending 10 fold

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If he can sort out the defensive lapses then we have some player but I can see why some are saying he should be further up the field.
I guess next season will be the true test once we've had a proper pre season.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fantastic on the ball and shows great technique with ball at his feet. But he cant defend. Positioning all wrong, cant head the ball, looks weak. Fair weather attacking player who will be good on the front foot.
Not helped by our overall defensive fragility but doesnt convince me with his defensive attributes at all.

Huyton W88lvo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Loses too many defensive duels for me . I hear people say yes he looks really good going forward running with the ball etc . However if we are going to play a back 4 from now onwards to get the attacking 3 behind Willian Jose I would prefer my right back to be able to defend first and foremost . This guy is a dreadful defender - positioning all wrong unable to man mark and tackle and very poor in the air . We obviously must have known this when we scouted / purchased the player because these flaws were picked up when he played for Barcelona . I find it puzzling that if we intended to change from a back 5 to a back 4 that this guy was recruited .

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gets wrong side a fair bit & looks like a penalty waiting to happen a lot....
Saying that he looks good on the ball & very fast, good engine etc.
Feel like our team just isn't ready to play 4 at the back including wing backs yet, hopefully after improvements this summer though. Maybe that was the thinking last night, Kilman playing a more defensive full back while Semedo is more free to go forwards? Looked like it'd leak goals though this season.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never had to defend at Barca and I expect the intensity of the Prem has come as a bit of a shock to him tbh. Looks impressive going forward but often finds himself isolated upfield when the attack breaks down. One thing I want to say is that overlap in the area he did on about 35 minutes was superb and made me realise just how little we see that with Wolves and highlights just how static we are as a team. School report: 6/10 for me.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's terrible defending as a team, rather than as an individual.

D

Deleted member 11332

Last night was similar to Southampton for me in the sense that he was excellent barring one mistake/lapse and that mistake led to a goal (have to credit Pepe though - still had plenty to do). He likes to try to nick the ball away rather than just wait and jockey, but he nicks it away a lot and off he goes.

Was noticeable last night though that he was making more runs inside, similar to what Doherty did, and almost linked up well with Willian Jose in the second half. It's gradually coming for him, we'll have some great full backs both sides when Jonny returns

We can't underestimate the balance that Jonny will provide either. Him being there will help Semedos game as a more attacking option tucking in when he goes forward and generally being an absolute wall. It will also stop crosses coming in that semedo has to deal with which is an obvious weak point.

BigSteve

Reaction score
Fantastic on the ball and shows great technique with ball at his feet. But he cant defend. Positioning all wrong, cant head the ball, looks weak. Fair weather attacking player who will be good on the front foot.
Not helped by our overall defensive fragility but doesnt convince me with his defensive attributes at all.
I take it you didn't watch the Chelsea match then?

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I see a lot of positive attributes he brings but still currently have a preference for Jonny and Marcal when fit as our best combination of full backs / wing backs. Just think it is more solid defensively.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never had to defend at Barca and I expect the intensity of the Prem has come as a bit of a shock to him tbh. Looks impressive going forward but often finds himself isolated upfield when the attack breaks down. One thing I want to say is that overlap in the area he did on about 35 minutes was superb and made me realise just how little we see that with Wolves and highlights just how static we are as a team. School report: 6/10 for me.
This reads like pretty much all of your posts I’ve seen recently NNW.

Starts on the subject being discussed. Yep.

Gives an opinion on that subject. Yep.

Finds a way to lever in a criticism of the club/team as a whole. Yep

Why can’t you discuss/debate the topic in hand without turning it in to a point about why Wolves are ****?

There’s plenty of threads you can use to make that point already.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't his biggest fan early on (still unsure on if we got value for money for the fee) but credit where its due he's gotta be one of the most improved players over the past couple of weeks.

Maybe doesn't get the headlines as its been quite a slow but gradual improvement but he's certainly improving game on game.

Yes he made one big mistake last night but other than that actually played very well.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure much of our fanbase really understand the modern day full back. They're never going to be completely impermeable even the best aren't and are often seen as better going forward than defending.

Based on that any full backs at Wolves will often be underrated by our fans, been happening for years think back to Lee Naylor and the stick he used to get.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's making progress every game and impressing. Defo an upgrade on Doc.
Just a thought but IF Adama were to leave in the summer, which I hope he doesn't, what do people think about the possibility of Semedo taking over his role?
In the second half during the Arsenal game, he made some excellent runs down the right wing and provided some quality link up play, along with crosses.
He wasn't the only one who was to blame for their goal. Credit must also go to their scorer, for his tenacity and skill.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last nights mistake was the first one, IMO, that has been put down to bad 1 on 1 defending. His mistakes are usually brain farts where he forgets he’s on a football pitch for a few seconds and then comes to after the balls in the net and looks shocked.

He’s usually a very good 1 on 1 defender so it was a surprise to see him done so easily by Pepe but Neves played him a dog of a ball in the first place so that move shouldn’t have even happened.

He has become more dependable and will get better the more he plays, the “time to adapt” period is over as we are over halfway through the season now and he’s played every game nearly since arriving and he’s slowly starting to look more of an asset going forward now. Possibly because he’s more confident going the other way.

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
When he is on one of his runs he looks so balanced with the ball.
I really would like him to take the ball inside the opposition area try a shot, if it doesn't come off I'm sure he would be pulled down for a penalty. Don't know if its a Nuno instruction not to over commit though.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have said right from the off with Semedo,class player,but defensively average
His positioning is not right,but it is improving,he really isnt very good in the air at all ,something we will have to live with i guess
Overall going forward excellent,definitely getting better defensively,will always have a mistake in him,but what defenders dont?

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think he held Pepe up well enough and allowed Neves to get across. Neves was probably beaten too easily. Between the two of them they probably should have dealt with it. Coady will also be disappointed looking at the replays that he turned his back on the ball for the shot.

I think the problem with our full backs is that we allow them to be isolated all the time with a winger. There is also no coverage behind them from the centre backs. All it takes is a ball behind the full back and the centre backs are behind the play and not able to cover like they should. This makes all our full backs look worse than they actually are as they get no support.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he held Pepe up well enough and allowed Neves to get across. Neves was probably beaten too easily. Between the two of them they probably should have dealt with it. Coady will also be disappointed looking at the replays that he turned his back on the ball for the shot.

I think the problem with our full backs is that we allow them to be isolated all the time with a winger. There is also no coverage behind them from the centre backs. All it takes is a ball behind the full back and the centre backs are behind the play and not able to cover like they should. This makes all our full backs look worse than they actually are as they get no support.

Yeah, it's big shift from collective responsibility to individual responsibility that comes from moving from a back 5 to a back 4.

But it just highlights that we need better individuals!

Semedo will probably get there, especially with better centre backs and central midfielders.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His lack of physical strength and lackadaisical approach at times is worrying to me. He is really good going forward especially when carrying the ball but positionally he really needs to improve defensively.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I take it you didn't watch the Chelsea match then?
I did, and i wouldnt say he stood out defensively in particular. He was marking Hudson Odoi who got MOTM and did bypass him a few times. However my view of the overall 22 games this season. His poor defensively but great on the ball. I would have to say he needs to be solid for at least 10 games in a row for my overall view to change. Lets not forget he's cost us a goal today. Add that to Villa, southampton, liverpool to name a few off the top of my head. £35 million from barcelona, it is not unreasonable to expect a RB to be able to defend better.
Positive note, when were on the front foot his technical ability shines, great feet and works the ball well in tight spaces. But defensively suspect, thats the player he is. Business ends of the pitch aint good. Cant think of any goals or assists coming from him? middle sector of the pitch great though.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's making progress every game and impressing. Defo an upgrade on Doc.
Just a thought but IF Adama were to leave in the summer, which I hope he doesn't, what do people think about the possibility of Semedo taking over his role?
In the second half during the Arsenal game, he made some excellent runs down the right wing and provided some quality link up play, along with crosses.
He wasn't the only one who was to blame for their goal. Credit must also go to their scorer, for his tenacity and skill.
According to the stats I read he didn't get any crosses in last night.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to the stats I read he didn't get any crosses in last night.
Ah well, I must have been watching a different game.
No worries DW.
He's put in some excellent crosses in previous games.
Fixed it!!

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did, and i wouldnt say he stood out defensively in particular. He was marking Hudson Odoi who got MOTM and did bypass him a few times. However my view of the overall 22 games this season. His poor defensively but great on the ball. I would have to say he needs to be solid for at least 10 games in a row for my overall view to change. Lets not forget he's cost us a goal today. Add that to Villa, southampton, liverpool to name a few off the top of my head. £35 million from barcelona, it is not unreasonable to expect a RB to be able to defend better.
Positive note, when were on the front foot his technical ability shines, great feet and works the ball well in tight spaces. But defensively suspect, thats the player he is. Business ends of the pitch aint good. Cant think of any goals or assists coming from him? middle sector of the pitch great though.
I would say Hudson-Odoi got MOTM for his performance in the first half and when he switched to the left late on. Thought Semedo kept him quiet in the second half.

D

Deleted member 11332

£35 million from barcelona, it is not unreasonable to expect a RB to be able to defend better.

Ironically fullbacks generally dont have to defend very much playing for Barca.

Reactions: Ian
Back
Top Bottom