Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nelson Semedo

Arcadius

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nelson had the lowest rating on Sofascore, of our team, 6.0

BigSteve

Reaction score
I would say Hudson-Odoi got MOTM for his performance in the first half and when he switched to the left late on. Thought Semedo kept him quiet in the second half.
He kept him very quiet. There was no standout player in that game at all.

BigSteve

Reaction score
I did, and i wouldnt say he stood out defensively in particular. He was marking Hudson Odoi who got MOTM and did bypass him a few times. However my view of the overall 22 games this season. His poor defensively but great on the ball. I would have to say he needs to be solid for at least 10 games in a row for my overall view to change. Lets not forget he's cost us a goal today. Add that to Villa, southampton, liverpool to name a few off the top of my head. £35 million from barcelona, it is not unreasonable to expect a RB to be able to defend better.
Positive note, when were on the front foot his technical ability shines, great feet and works the ball well in tight spaces. But defensively suspect, thats the player he is. Business ends of the pitch aint good. Cant think of any goals or assists coming from him? middle sector of the pitch great though.

Ah, so Glen Hoddle naming Hudson Odoi MOTM somehow backs up your claim that Semedo "can't defend". Riiiight.

It was a defensive performance and Semedo was really quite solid.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's funny how we can accept the brilliance of Traore or Neto when they skin a full back/defender but if it an opposition winger does it to us it's because our defenders are s**t.

No fullback/defender can stop every attacker every time and if they could they wouldn't be playing for us. Sometimes there are mistakes, sometimes it's just good play by the opposition.

Looking at last night, I didn't realise Pepe was quite such a unit and that was a fine piece of skill followed by a hefty shove on Semedo which I think any player would struggle to deal with.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, since the Villa game I'd say he was our best player.

He was good last night on the whole, but we can't be in a position where he makes major clangers that lead to goals again. They aren't just errors, they're bad ones.

As I say, he's been fine for a few months now, so you can put last night down to a mistake that happens now and again, but he can't get into the same situation earlier in the season when he was making major mistakes every few games.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ah, so Glen Hoddle naming Hudson Odoi MOTM somehow backs up your claim that Semedo "can't defend". Riiiight.

It was a defensive performance and Semedo was really quite solid.
no its my overall view of the season. He's improved recently and looks good on the ball. But please dont tell me hes good at defending. Its not his game at all. I get texts from mates who support other teams asking why is semedo so shambolic at the back.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Semedo a hell of a lot. Yes, his defending could be better but he is improving every game and I think he will become a top Premier League wing/full back.

Looks good with the ball at his feet, has got pace and a bit of flair about him. He has come close to scoring a few times, like last night, and that will happen.

When Jonny gets back, I think the 2 of them will be a great pair of wing backs for us. Hopefully, not long to wait now Jonny is back in training.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its telling how many goals are scored against us due to deflections , penalties etc.
I am sure we miss Jonny a lot but a lot of our defending can be very last ditch at times

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he was very good last night despite being up against a more than decent opponent. I had him as my MOTM.

He now seems to have found that extra bit of fitness that allows him to get up and down the pitch a bit more and be an attacking option like we saw Doherty in his pomp. Factor in the fact that he was playing in back 4 too and had slightly more defensive responsibility that Doc ever had I think we should be more than pleased with his latest performances.

Yeah he got done for the goal, caught wrong side and then out muscled but really there was a catalogue of issues with the goal.

We really should be better overall as a collective in those situations. Pepe manages to nick it past Neves and for me Coady really could have got out quicker to close the angle and make it more difficult for Pepe to hit the target. Instead he was caught on his heels standing on the 6 yard line and not picking up any opposition player. Got to get out and stop the shot.

After the Villa penalty incident I think he's come on leaps and bounds despite our form being utter dog dirt.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thoroughly unimpressive to me. Or at least when you consider where he came from and the fee paid. For that price and from that club you should be a shining light, he is anything but.

And it is very fair to compare him to Doherty, he is the direct replacement. Impossible for anyone to argue he has had a greater impact on our side at this stage. He isn't a real threat going forward as his record elsewhere shows and he isn't a good defender(Doherty wasn't great either) and we got a preview of that against Bayern where he was torn to absolute shreads time and again and Barca fans were quite delighted that he was leaving. It is funny how pace blinds people to ability, Traore another example.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nelson Semedo is a waste of 27 Mill Pounds.
Awful biz and that money could have been used soo much better than on a B grade player that doesn´t seem able to play anywhere in the team.
A liability at RB and a complete waste of a good shirt RWB.

What his purpouse?
Hopefully will not see the light of day after we strenghten in the summer window.
Championship level.Yes,I do think he is dross and I will most probably not change my mind.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thoroughly unimpressive to me. Or at least when you consider where he came from and the fee paid. For that price and from that club you should be a shining light, he is anything but.

And it is very fair to compare him to Doherty, he is the direct replacement. Impossible for anyone to argue he has had a greater impact on our side at this stage. He isn't a real threat going forward as his record elsewhere shows and he isn't a good defender(Doherty wasn't great either) and we got a preview of that against Bayern where he was torn to absolute shreads time and again and Barca fans were quite delighted that he was leaving. It is funny how pace blinds people to ability, Traore another example.
I think Nuno squeezed the absolute limit out of Doherty (his record at spurs certainly says that) where there is more to come from Semedo. He probably been our most consistent player over the last 6 games.

Not convinced you can use the Bayern game either because if thats the barometer and you hadnt seen him play before, youd have thought Messi was a sunday league u12 girls player.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's a mixed bag with Semedo isn't it. He's technically really good (easily one of the most talented in the squad) and gets forward well. He's also good at receiving the ball under pressure and keeping possession, last night's mistake notwithstanding. He's also shown flexibility playing at RWB, LWB and RB already.

The flipside is he looks vulnerable to being out-muscled by more physical players and he over-commits when defending, e.g. by trying to take the ball off the attackers toes rather than just jockeying for position and focussing on blocking the cross. When he wins the ball it looks great, but when he misses he gets unbalanced and easy for attackers to go past him despite the fact he's quick himself. Related to that, you also feel he has a regular mistake in him unlike, say, Jonny. I thought some referees could have easily given a penalty at Chelsea say and there's Villa too.

I think he'll really benefit from a proper pre-season. If he can improve a further 10% on the defensive side, while maintain the attacking threat, he'll end up bringing a lot to the team, but, let's not kid ourselves it's been all As on the report scorecard so far

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never had to defend at Barca and I expect the intensity of the Prem has come as a bit of a shock to him tbh. Looks impressive going forward but often finds himself isolated upfield when the attack breaks down. One thing I want to say is that overlap in the area he did on about 35 minutes was superb and made me realise just how little we see that with Wolves and highlights just how static we are as a team. School report: 6/10 for me.
Every team has to defend. Barcelona just do it much further up the field

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every team has to defend. Barcelona just do it much further up the field
Never had the relentless pressure of the Prem week in week out at Barca. Most of their games are a walk in the park. Every game in the Prem is a battle. Having said that Semedo is a decent player going forward, bags of skill but he needs to become consistent in defence. When Johnny comes back he can watch and learn from him!

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never had the relentless pressure of the Prem week in week out at Barca. Most of their games are a walk in the park. Every game in the Prem is a battle. Having said that Semedo is a decent player going forward, bags of skill but he needs to become consistent in defence. When Johnny comes back he can watch and learn from him!
I think the other teams in the Spanish league have improved massively but agree to disagree on that one. He's definitely getting better defensively though, just seems whenever he makes a mistake it leads to a goal. I'm not sure if that's bad luck or if he's making bigger mistakes than other players.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sometimes he runs into forward spaces with the ball, looks up and thinks oops WTF do I do now? and loses possession.
His throw ins are borderline foul throws.

Apart from the above I can see that he is settling and improving.

Puregold

Reaction score
Certainly looks good going forward, but defensively, struggles with the physical side of the game which tends to lead to mistakes, this will hopefully improve in time.

Big difference playing in the top flight in England compared to Spain, concentration levels need to be 100% due to the nature, quickness of the game over here.

I do think he will add a goal or two, maybe this weekend!!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the other teams in the Spanish league have improved massively but agree to disagree on that one. He's definitely getting better defensively though, just seems whenever he makes a mistake it leads to a goal. I'm not sure if that's bad luck or if he's making bigger mistakes than other players.
It does seem to be him at the moment that any mistakes are getting punished. Obviously Kilman was playing out of position last night but he could have been 'at fault' for three goals in the first ten minutes (again like Southampton, where him being deeper led to two clear cut chances which they missed). If the end result is a goal a player making a mistake will get stick, whereas a player could make more mistakes in a game of the same level but get away with them, and not get as much stick

Nature of the beast I guess

Kenny Hibbitt is my hero

Reaction score
So Arsenal regained possession following Semedo hoofing the ball over his shoulder which went 50 ft in the air and about two foot forward. Neves recovers the situation by a deft cushioned header from the horrible lofted ball, playing the way he was facing and straight to Semedo’s feet who was in space.

Nelson then miscontrols this simple ball giving possession to Arsenal to break.

So even if you want to give Pepe credit for doing him like a kipper and then outmuscling him, where admittedly any challenge would probably have resulted in a penalty, then he only made two mistakes in the build up to the goal.

Last edited:

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Arsenal regained possession following Sameda hoofing the ball over his shoulder which went 50 ft in the air and about two foot forward. Neves recovers the situation by a deft cushioned header from the horrible lofted ball, playing the way he was facing and straight to Sameda’s feet who was in space.

Nelson then miscontrols this simple ball giving possession to Arsenal to break.

So even if you want to give Pepe credit for doing him like a kipper and then outmuscling him, where admittedly any challenge would probably have resulted in a penalty, then he only made two mistakes in the build up to the goal.
Yeah and what happened after Semedo couldn't commit as he would have given a penalty away ala Villa...
Pepe had Neves and Coady infront of him. He nutmegged Neves doing him like a kipper. Then Coady instead of being brave and making himself big to block the shot, turns sideways to give Pepe more of the goals to put it in.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did, and i wouldnt say he stood out defensively in particular. He was marking Hudson Odoi who got MOTM and did bypass him a few times. However my view of the overall 22 games this season. His poor defensively but great on the ball. I would have to say he needs to be solid for at least 10 games in a row for my overall view to change. Lets not forget he's cost us a goal today. Add that to Villa, southampton, liverpool to name a few off the top of my head. £35 million from barcelona, it is not unreasonable to expect a RB to be able to defend better.
Positive note, when were on the front foot his technical ability shines, great feet and works the ball well in tight spaces. But defensively suspect, thats the player he is. Business ends of the pitch aint good. Cant think of any goals or assists coming from him? middle sector of the pitch great though.

Can't have watched the Chelsea game seeing as Hudson Odi was on the right 1st 45 so attacking Ait Nouri.

Semedo switches over, and Hudson gets no change out of him (maybe beats him once right at the start as Semedo adjusts) and then moves over to the other side when Pulisic comes on. Semedo then does a pretty good job on him too.

So not sure what Chelsea game you watched.

Got an assist against Brighton too bud.

Kenny Hibbitt is my hero

Reaction score
Yeah and what happened after Semedo couldn't commit as he would have given a penalty away ala Villa...
Pepe had Neves and Coady infront of him. He nutmegged Neves doing him like a kipper. Then Coady instead of being brave and making himself big to block the shot, turns sideways to give Pepe more of the goals to put it in.
You are correct.

However, the thread title gives a small hint as to why I mentioned Semedo’s two/three mistakes in the build up to their goal, all of which occurred before the two you mention

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
50/50 I'm afraid. If Jonny and Marcal were both fit, then Semedo does not play. Too suspect defensively. Hope to god that aspect of his game, improves otherwise a costly mistake.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people are in for a bit of a shock when Jonny comes back. Our full backs are constantly isolated with little support or cover from the centre backs. They either end up with a 1 on 1 situation (2 on 1 at times) or a ball clipped in behind them with no covering centre back and a foot race where the opposition have had a few yards head start. That's without mentioning the huge gaps in midfield which increase pressure.

It weird how all our full backs could play in back 4s before coming here, but now none are suited to it. Jonny is good (probably our best full back before his injury), but he will still have the odds stacked against him in the full back position. I wonder how long it will be until fans start saying he can't play in a back 4.

The same with Marcal. The longer players are out injured, the better they get at the moment. Both these players are seeing their reputation grow with fans just by being injured.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not going to be popular based on this thread but whilst he is generally comfortable carrying the ball forwards a lot of his play has been poor and defensively he has been awful.

Just a few examples, Southampton scored because he switched off and let Walcott tap in, Villa gave away penalty after letting McGinn get the wrong side and making a clumsy challenge, at Liverpool he again switched off and got wrong side of Mane by a distance, in stretching to get back put into his own net. At Burnley he got caught up field and didn’t track their full back who crosses for their first. Everton’s first goal he gets caught underneath the ball in no mans land and doesn’t close down quick enough, even turning his back as it was pulled back. Palace he is more interesting in protecting himself from the cross hitting him and it deflects to Ayew who lays it across our box to Eze and last night even before the calamity for their goal he stopped tracking back allowing Pepe to run in ahead of him to get on the end of Smith-Rowes pull back when it hit the bar.

You may think some of that is pedantic but it’s a long list already of defensive lapses that have cost us.

Fundamentally for a man who played full back all his life, is 27 and came from a big club there are worrying deficiencies in his game, mainly his body position when faced with a player out wide, he doesn’t look to press or force the opponent wide, he gets caught square and standing off which is why he was beaten by the likes of Pepe and McGinn and why he wasn’t prepared to stop Clynes attempted cross.

Hopefully Nuno and his staff can work on him but the fear is at his age with his experience this is going to keep happening because for a defender he doesn’t sense danger and doesn’t seem to have the work ethic to counter his own failings

D

Deleted member 11332

Not sure where the pace thing comes in, he's quick enough but not pacey. In terms of technical ability on the ball he's up there with any of our players. He's absolutely miles better than Doherty as a footballer as shown by the fact Doc can't even keep calamity Serge out of the spurs team, in fact they played sissoko there and left him on the bench. Semedo walks into their team.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not going to be popular based on this thread but whilst he is generally comfortable carrying the ball forwards a lot of his play has been poor and defensively he has been awful.

Just a few examples, Southampton scored because he switched off and let Walcott tap in, Villa gave away penalty after letting McGinn get the wrong side and making a clumsy challenge, at Liverpool he again switched off and got wrong side of Mane by a distance, in stretching to get back put into his own net. At Burnley he got caught up field and didn’t track their full back who crosses for their first. Everton’s first goal he gets caught underneath the ball in no mans land and doesn’t close down quick enough, even turning his back as it was pulled back. Palace he is more interesting in protecting himself from the cross hitting him and it deflects to Ayew who lays it across our box to Eze and last night even before the calamity for their goal he stopped tracking back allowing Pepe to run in ahead of him to get on the end of Smith-Rowes pull back when it hit the bar.

You may think some of that is pedantic but it’s a long list already of defensive lapses that have cost us.

Fundamentally for a man who played full back all his life, is 27 and came from a big club there are worrying deficiencies in his game, mainly his body position when faced with a player out wide, he doesn’t look to press or force the opponent wide, he gets caught square and standing off which is why he was beaten by the likes of Pepe and McGinn and why he wasn’t prepared to stop Clynes attempted cross.

Hopefully Nuno and his staff can work on him but the fear is at his age with his experience this is going to keep happening because for a defender he doesn’t sense danger and doesn’t seem to have the work ethic to counter his own failings
Pedantic doesn't begin to cover it. Blaming him for goals against Everton and Burnley suggests you're being overly harsh and finding the slightest reason to criticise, not much he could have done about either. He'd just made a run upfield against Burnley, got left in the lurch by Podence and is then expected to make another sprint back 70 yards? He has a right to expect cover there. Everton, no. A cross-field ball he can't cut out, he can't be close to Digne because he'd leave a massive gap in the middle of the penalty area, he went to close down Digne who played a great first time ball, again, not a lot he could do about that, but by all means blame him...

You're laying blame at him for the Palace goal ffs! If you want to be THAT pedantic we could be laying blame at three or four players for every goal you mention before we get to Semedo

D

Deleted member 4152

Awful biz and that money could have been used soo much better than on a B grade player that doesn´t seem able to play anywhere in the team.

What his purpouse?
Hopefully will not see the light of day after we strenghten in the summer window.
Championship level.Yes,I do think he is dross and I will most probably not change my mind.
Genuine lol.

Genuinely clueless.

At least you are consistent.

D

Deleted member 4152

His defending is terrible. I don’t think anyone can argue that, but going forward he looks good and there is a spark of a partnership with Adama I feel.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sometimes he runs into forward spaces with the ball, looks up and thinks oops WTF do I do now? and loses possession.
His throw ins are borderline foul throws.

Apart from the above I can see that he is settling and improving.

Thats a big problem for anyone breaking forward, at the moment, what do they do ? Without Jimenez, there isso rarely anyone busting a gut to either be with or ahead of them we end up passing back.

Traore has speed to burn but makes few if any off the ball runs, is rarely an option and only impacts the game if the ball is delivered to his feet.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure much of our fanbase really understand the modern day full back. They're never going to be completely impermeable even the best aren't and are often seen as better going forward than defending.

Based on that any full backs at Wolves will often be underrated by our fans, been happening for years think back to Lee Naylor and the stick he used to get.
100% This.

If you ask Liverpool fans why they've been utterly dominant for the past 18 months...

Exhibit A - The front 3... but VERY closely behind is the play of their fullbacks. They pin opposition wingers back and aide their press. They also supply the bullets.

How many times have we seen someone have them on toast though? Plenty.

TAA isn't a good defender, but he has so many tangible benefits for their system and style, they can practically ignore that. Robertson IS a better defender, but vs. Traore for instance? Don't make me laugh.

If we're to embrace the model of being able to hurt teams from anywhere on the pitch, we're going to have to accept that players like Semedo are going to have to do their thing.

Doc flourished because we didn't try and reign him in, he blossomed in to a decent attacking player, rather than just someone to flick on diagonals and goal kicks.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What his purpouse?
That's the market.

RE: Your top line.

Ait Nouri is supposedly worth £20M in today's market... worth it? Absolutely not.

Same as Vitinha... again, not worth the alleged £20M fee in my opinion. Neat and tidy footballer, but he's got no presence at all.

Teams are financially struggling and they're milking money however they can, I think that's the reality at the moment.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aside from his defending for their goal, I thought he was superb yesterday. Next season i think he'll be absolutely top class as he would have had time to get used to playing in a different league, living in another country etc.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure where the pace thing comes in, he's quick enough but not pacey. In terms of technical ability on the ball he's up there with any of our players. He's absolutely miles better than Doherty as a footballer as shown by the fact Doc can't even keep calamity Serge out of the spurs team, in fact they played sissoko there and left him on the bench. Semedo walks into their team.

But yet we are worse with Semedo than Doc.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pedantic doesn't begin to cover it. Blaming him for goals against Everton and Burnley suggests you're being overly harsh and finding the slightest reason to criticise, not much he could have done about either. He'd just made a run upfield against Burnley, got left in the lurch by Podence and is then expected to make another sprint back 70 yards? He has a right to expect cover there. Everton, no. A cross-field ball he can't cut out, he can't be close to Digne because he'd leave a massive gap in the middle of the penalty area, he went to close down Digne who played a great first time ball, again, not a lot he could do about that, but by all means blame him...

You're laying blame at him for the Palace goal ffs! If you want to be THAT pedantic we could be laying blame at three or four players for every goal you mention before we get to Semedo
It’s not about direct blame for the goals, it’s examples of his poor positioning, lack of willingness to track back and technical flaws. At no point did I say he was the only person to blame, I just highlighted his part in them.

For Burnley, why is it acceptable for the opposing full back to run that distance forwards to join their attack and not for him to make it back? watch the highlights he’s not even in shot when their full back goes for the overlap. Yes Podence should also be tracking and he too is massively guilty of not doing this. The point is for a defence to be effective everyone on the pitch has to be willing to give their all to stop danger.

For the Everton one, he doesn’t need to be tight at the point of the pass as yes he is covering but once that ball is played he either has to commit to closing down Digne or cutting off his support, he does neither, he goes but doesn’t commit and even turns away. That is poor defending.

The Palace one is a prime example of his technical failings, in the situation he should be pushing Clyne wide, making him check back for support. Instead he winces to protect himself and the cross deflects off him.

Making excuses for him, that other people have made errors too isn’t going to help us progress. Is he totally at fault for all those goals no, but did he make glaring errors yes

Back
Top Bottom