Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Michael Beale poll

Happy or unhappy at potential new coach appointment?

• Happy with potential appointment

Votes: 201 38.7%
  • Unhappy with potential appointment

Votes: 110 21.2%
  • On the fence/Undecided

Votes: 209 40.2%

• Total voters

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Undecided.

Don't know enough about him to be angry or excited, so apathy rules. Hopefully he'll prove to be good, but seems like a huge risk at a time when we probably shouldn't be taking risks.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its the sort of tin pot , penny pinching , on the cheap appointment Norwich would do ( unhappy and un ambitious)

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where's the option for apoplectic with rage?

The club has tried to be clever, thinking they've gone for the latest Potter, and I've even read it on here. Makes absolutely no sense. Why compare one person to another with seemingly barely anything in common other than a perceived lack of experience?! But let's do it anyway, since everyone seems so keen to do so:

In terms of experience, Potter had a far more varied, interesting career profile by the time he got to Brighton: a degree in Social Sciences, a Masters in Leadership, seven years coaching in Sweden getting Ostersund first promotion and then beating Galatasaray, then Galatasaray in the group stages, in the Europa League, then a decent season with Swansea just missing the play-offs and getting to the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup. Beale has mostly spent the 19 years he is so quick to alert us that he's worked in football coaching kids. He's not worked with a first team longer than the 2 1/2 years he spent with Rangers. His 6 months in Brazil saw Sao Paolo drift into the relegation zone and get knocked out of the Copa de Brasil and Sudamericana, his spell at Villa wasn't especially inspiring, and he has a grand total of 15 professional games under his belt as head coach in the Championship, not even in a blaze of glory.

How on earth is he expected to draw on experiences in moments where that's exactly what is required, when he doesn't have any? The pressures of youth football are completely different to first team affairs. It's why Kevin Cullis failed at Swansea after tearing it up with Stourbridge Cobras (they were good, I played against them!) - it's a different discipline. His big wins are TAA, and, ermm....that's about it. What about players like Neves and Costa? I know he's worked with Coutinho, but who else is he going to relate to and how? We hear his man management is good, but that's when Gerrard is throwing tea cups around in the dressing room - being the good guy will always result in players liking you. He doesn't have that luxury now and he can't get rid of our first team and replace them with kids he's seen in youth tournaments in his notebooks because he has to keep us up first.

The other thing is the way he's engineered this move. Potter didn't have a seemingly omnipotent media team behind him to the point you try and search for Beale Park or Ian Beale on Google, and all you get is videos of Michael repeating the same platitudes about his coaching philosophy. He has been on a self-promoting frenzy the last few years. Start typing "who is" into Google and you'll get Michael Beale soon after the Stig. No issue with him building his personal brand, but his flip flop through different positions in a way that makes upwardly mobile a laughable understatement is hardly a measure of his integrity - this is a guy hell-bent on getting to the top with seemingly little care for the fallout. Again, I have no issue with someone using us a stepping stone, but in my opinion he's just propelled up the chain far too quickly. He's promoted himself upwards by design and unfortunately we are almost certain to bear the brunt for this running before he can walk.

Finally, I'm furious with Shi and Sellars. That nearly a third of fans are satisfied with Beale's appointment tells you how cleverly they desensitised us to it beforehand. A third of fans aren't happy with Beale- I'd say around zero percent would have selected Beale when Bruno departed - and ask the majority of those fans why they are happy and the answer will be pretty obvious - it isn't Peter Bosz, or for the deluded jingoists amongst our fan base, 'he isn't Portuguese' (yep, I've seen this on Twitter).

Of course they are happy it isn't Peter Bosz - but why was it a choice between him and Bosz? Surely somewhere in the wide, wide world of football we could have attracted a Gallardo, a Ferreira, a Tedesco....if they don't want to come here, why? Are you really that unable to articulate the project without relying on Uncle Jorge? And if they were willing, but you didn't want them, why? WTF is wrong with you?

Of course, this desensitisation, and a desire to get behind the guy since he's our only hope, will prevent what should be happening (protests against the mishandling of club affairs and shouting for Shi and Sellars' heads). However, it has to come home to roost for them at some point - if we do somehow manage to stave off relegation courtesy of a new manager bounce, three worse teams or even Beale defying all odds and enjoying moderate success, it still doesn't hide the fact this is a risk of gargantuan proportions that was unnecessarily reckless and ill advised.

Shi and Sellars OUT
Great post. I’m just going to wait and see, and then request this be posted to the club if the **** hits the fan.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If West Brom had poached him - a more realistic turn of events in the sane world - then we would all have had a smirk and a dig right now about him being the driving force behind the scenes of Villa's mediocrity of last season and only having been a manager for 5 minutes anyway.

Yet two weeks after expecting to land a Europa League winner, a former manager of Real Madrid and one of the leading nations in world football, we've somehow come to the conclusion that this is the logical choice for us as we sit in the relegation zone.

I would say it is baffling, but we've already experienced the prequel 10 years ago so we know that Wolves are capable of such wildly illogical behaviour and also know that the man leading the recruitment process, Jeff Shi, knows absolutely nothing about professional football and has only retained his job because Guo invested in the world's more powerful agent's company and he thankfully gave us Nuno (and a stream of talents in 2017-19) to sticky plaster over the absent of football knowledge.

Last edited:

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not as vehemently against this as I was when the news first broke. After watching a few of his interviews, I actually like the cut of his jib and think he comes across really well. I like the fact it's clear step away from Mendes' stable and that makes for a real interesting appointment but there's still part of me that thinks his inexperience is a real concern and it's not the exciting appointment I was hoping for after the move for Lopetegui.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure it really matters.
Less than a goal a game for over 12 months under Nuno.
Less than a goal a game for over 12 months under Bruno.
I havnt seen anything to suggest that will change dramatically regardless of who the ****ing coach is.

Hopefully we get behind Beale if he is the man, got a huge job on his hands (mainly, but not totally, down to the shambolic handling of the Raul situation over the last 2 years).

Good luck to him.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On paper it looks like a Lage II appointment, only English, and with less experience.

It’s a gamble of monumental proportions, and quite frankly if it goes wrong it will have huge ramifications for years to come.

It’s so left field and bizarre that a tiny part of me hopes that it might be a master stroke. We’ll find out soon enough.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score

The club has tried to be clever, thinking they've gone for the latest Potter, and I've even read it on here. Makes absolutely no sense. Why compare one person to another with seemingly barely anything in common other than a perceived lack of experience?! But let's do it anyway, since everyone seems so keen to do so:

In terms of experience, Potter had a far more varied, interesting career profile by the time he got to Brighton: a degree in Social Sciences, a Masters in Leadership, seven years coaching in Sweden getting Ostersund first promotion and then beating Galatasaray, then Galatasaray in the group stages, in the Europa League, then a decent season with Swansea just missing the play-offs and getting to the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup. Beale has mostly spent the 19 years he is so quick to alert us that he's worked in football coaching kids. He's not worked with a first team longer than the 2 1/2 years he spent with Rangers. His 6 months in Brazil saw Sao Paolo drift into the relegation zone and get knocked out of the Copa de Brasil and Sudamericana, his spell at Villa wasn't especially inspiring, and he has a grand total of 15 professional games under his belt as head coach in the Championship, not even in a blaze of glory.

How on earth is he expected to draw on experiences in moments where that's exactly what is required, when he doesn't have any? The pressures of youth football are completely different to first team affairs. It's why Kevin Cullis failed at Swansea after tearing it up with Stourbridge Cobras (they were good, I played against them!) - it's a different discipline. His big wins are TAA, and, ermm....that's about it. What about players like Neves and Costa? I know he's worked with Coutinho, but who else is he going to relate to and how? We hear his man management is good, but that's when Gerrard is throwing tea cups around in the dressing room - being the good guy will always result in players liking you. He doesn't have that luxury now and he can't get rid of our first team and replace them with kids he's seen in youth tournaments in his notebooks because he has to keep us up first.

The other thing is the way he's engineered this move. Potter didn't have a seemingly omnipotent media team behind him to the point you try and search for Beale Park or Ian Beale on Google, and all you get is videos of Michael repeating the same platitudes about his coaching philosophy. He has been on a self-promoting frenzy the last few years. Start typing "who is" into Google and you'll get Michael Beale soon after the Stig. No issue with him building his personal brand, but his flip flop through different positions in a way that makes upwardly mobile a laughable understatement is hardly a measure of his integrity - this is a guy hell-bent on getting to the top with seemingly little care for the fallout. Again, I have no issue with someone using us a stepping stone, but in my opinion he's just propelled up the chain far too quickly. He's promoted himself upwards by design and unfortunately we are almost certain to bear the brunt for this running before he can walk.

Finally, I'm furious with Shi and Sellars. That nearly a third of fans are satisfied with Beale's appointment tells you how cleverly they desensitised us to it beforehand. A third of fans aren't happy with Beale- I'd say around zero percent would have selected Beale when Bruno departed - and ask the majority of those fans why they are happy and the answer will be pretty obvious - it isn't Peter Bosz, or for the deluded jingoists amongst our fan base, 'he isn't Portuguese' (yep, I've seen this on Twitter).

Of course they are happy it isn't Peter Bosz - but why was it a choice between him and Bosz? Surely somewhere in the wide, wide world of football we could have attracted a Gallardo, a Ferreira, a Tedesco....if they don't want to come here, why? Are you really that unable to articulate the project without relying on Uncle Jorge? And if they were willing, but you didn't want them, why? WTF is wrong with you?

Of course, this desensitisation, and a desire to get behind the guy since he's our only hope, will prevent what should be happening (protests against the mishandling of club affairs and shouting for Shi and Sellars' heads). However, it has to come home to roost for them at some point - if we do somehow manage to stave off relegation courtesy of a new manager bounce, three worse teams or even Beale defying all odds and enjoying moderate success, it still doesn't hide the fact this is a risk of gargantuan proportions that was unnecessarily reckless and ill advised.

Shi and Sellars OUT
Very well put, hard to disagree.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great post. I’m just going to wait and see, and then request this be posted to the club if the **** hits the fan.
I've gone out on a limb here haven't I :D (although my problem is less with Beale, who I think may go on to have a successful career, and more with the idiots at the top for putting him in that position)

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Will the likes of Neves want to play for him? That’s a concern.

In all fairness Neves is the player I'm least worried about giving his all for the club.... the question is can he get the others up to Ruben's level of commitment.

His main job will be getting a bit of team spirit back, sign a couple of battlers in January they don't have to be world beaters.

The signings of workhorses like Burn, Targett etc all did far better for Newcastle last year than Everton who signed showponies like Alli in January.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Undecided. I can't be unhappy with the bloke yet, if he comes he deserves our backing.

But I AM UNHAPPY with the club if he's the best they could come up with because they want to save on compensation, or enforce coaching staff on him, or insist he work under the non-structure Shi has set up.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Undecided. I can't be unhappy with the bloke yet, if he comes he deserves our backing.

But I AM UNHAPPY with the club if he's the best they could come up with because they want to save on compensation, or enforce coaching staff on him, or insist he work under the non-structure Shi has set up.
Shi Appointed Zenga enough said

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If compensation was the key consideration then they wouldn't be paying a release clause when there are managers on the market that can come for nothing as they are out of work. When you interview someone, to some degree its a leap of faith and you select who you think will best do the job - truth is you can please some of the pople some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.

As a provincial club we wont attract a huge name manager and even less likely to in our current position.

Last edited:

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Martins would have come without compensation it’s not a cheap,option

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi Appointed Zenga enough said
This club has previously employed Hoddle, Dean Saunders, Solbakken, Colin Lee, Lambert, McGhee and Sammy Chapman so ShI by no means has a monopoly on ****e appointments - you could also argue he employed the best manager we have had in the last thirty years in Nuno.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If compensation was the key then they wouldn't be paying a release clause when there are managers on the market that can come for nothing as they are out of work. When you interview someone, to some degree its a leap of faith and you select who you think will best do the job - truth is you can please some of the pople some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.

As a provincial club we wont attract a huge name manager and even less likely in our current position.
Totally agree we won't attract a decent manager. Let's just see in a few weeks who Leicester or Villa attract. As similar points etc . But do their boards have similar ambitions?

Mind you Sellars and Shi are a comedy show . So I could see Flynn at Walsall turn us down at the moment .

Get some ****er in that is not a yes man and will say to mendes thanks for that **** recommendation but we are signing the other .

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This club has previously employed Hoddle, Dean Saunders, Solbakken, Colin Lee, Lambert, McGhee and Sammy Chapman so ShI by no means has a monopoly on ****e appointments - you could also argue he employed the best manager we have had in the last thirty years in Nuno.
Agree but he still appointed Zenga

Where's Nuno now by the way ?

Just been honest but my head's above the sand not below it

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

Shi and Sellars OUT
Dear Peckham. Time will tell us if he is a success or not, but you have articulated some excellent counterpoints extremely well. Thanks for taking the time. I tried what you said about Googling him and I only put in the letter "W" before your prediction proved correct (just kidding, but that bit of your post really made me laugh.

Regardless of how successful or unsuccessful Beale is, you are absolutely right, this is "a risk of gargantuan proportions that was unnecessarily reckless and ill advised."

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whether we care
Agree but he still appointed Zenga

Where's Nuno now by the way ?

Just been honest but my head's above the sand not below it

Moved on wasnt he - went to a bigger club and failed, doesnt change how good he was for us And few of us had heard of him when he came to Wolves.

No manager comes with a cast Iron guarantee its all a risk, and the top managers want the top players to work with.
There isnt a club that hasn't made a duff appointment. Who do you think we should have gone for as it seems to me that there is hardly a queue of top managers wanting to leave clubs to come to us?

3 or four weeks ago everyone was pretty much unified that we have had a great transfer window and cash had been spent well, reading last nights verdict thread no-one is good enough and the Wolves senior management are clueless.

Im simply prepared to give the guy a go, rather than a Dyche or a Dutch manager that has a cv of failure at big clubs.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think most are prepared to give any guy or girl a go . There is the problem no identity and dropping like a sack of wet **** .

Leader not a follower required

Good luck Fosun here goes your investment

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its super high risk. If he keeps us up then great. I have serious worries though. We arent a side that kind grind out results like burnley used to. We would go with a whimper . I fear for us

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think most are prepared to give any guy or girl a go . There is the problem no identity and dropping like a sack of wet **** .

Leader not a follower required

Good luck Fosun here goes your investment

The coach sets the identity not ShI or Sellars - lets see what Beale comes up with (assuming he comes).
Watching his QPR team tonight he seems to play 4 at the back and played attacking football - he has the opportunity to do the same thing with (on paper) a better quality of player.

top fox wolf

Reaction score
Whether we care

Moved on wasnt he - went to a bigger club and failed, doesnt change how good he was for us And few of us had heard of him when he came to Wolves.

No manager comes with a cast Iron guarantee its all a risk, and the top managers want the top players to work with.
There isnt a club that hasn't made a duff appointment. Who do you think we should have gone for as it seems to me that there is hardly a queue of topi managers wanting to leave clubs to come to us?

3 or four weeks ago everyone was pretty much unified that we have had a great transfer window and cash had been spent well, reading last nights verdict thread no-one is good enough And the Wolves senior management are clueless.

Im simply prepared to give the guy a go.
Don't think Michael is a yes man .says he is going to ask any club who what him ...what are that clubs ambitious and do thay match mine if he walks away from his club who have just gone top and by the way I watched there game last night very impressed with his tactics. And yes to leave now would say to me he's the one he believes in his ability as a coach manager to get us going yes the more I think about it the more I like it .BUT HE HAS TO SAY YES YET .

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think Michael is a yes man .says he is going to ask any club who what him ...what are that clubs ambitious and do thay match mine if he walks away from his club who have just gone top and by the way I watched there game last night very impressed with his tactics. And yes to leave now would say to me he's the one he believes in his ability as a coach manager to get us going yes the more I think about it the more I like it .BUT HE HAS TO SAY YES YET .

Pretty much my thoughts. Not sure who the QPR forward was that won the penalty but he was an absolute battering ram.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In terms of experience, Potter had a far more varied, interesting career profile by the time he got to Brighton: a degree in Social Sciences, a Masters in Leadership, seven years coaching in Sweden getting Ostersund first promotion and then beating Galatasaray in the qualifiers and Arsenal in the group stages of the Europa League, then a decent season with Swansea just missing the play-offs and getting to the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup.

Beale has mostly spent the 19 years he is so quick to alert us that he's worked in football coaching kids. He's not worked with a first team longer than the 2 1/2 years he spent with Rangers. His 6 months in Brazil saw Sao Paolo drift into the relegation zone and get knocked out of the Copa de Brasil and Sudamericana, his spell at Villa wasn't especially inspiring, Rangers was granted fine but in a league where Conor Ronan was a standout player, and he has a grand total of 15 professional games under his belt as head coach in the Championship, not even in a blaze of glory (although as I edit this he's gone top - fair play)

It still stands though, how on earth is he expected to draw on experiences in moments where drawing on experience is exactly what is required, when he doesn't have any? The pressures of youth football are completely different to first team affairs. It's why Kevin Cullis failed at Swansea after tearing it up with Stourbridge Cobras (they were good, I played against them!) - it's a different discipline. His big wins are TAA, and, ermm....that's about it. What about players like Neves and Costa? I know he's worked with Coutinho, but who else is he going to relate to and how? I've seen little of players saying how he's inspired them, turned their careers around, etc. That's what we need right now - even Bruno had João Felix.

We hear his man management is good, but that's been when Gerrard has been throwing tea cups around in the dressing room - being the good guy will always result in players liking you. He doesn't have that luxury now, and he can't get rid of our first team and replace them with kids he's seen in youth tournaments in his notebooks because he has to keep us up first.

Shi and Sellars OUT
Terrific post. I'd add to your paragraph about the way he's engineered this move: if a club gives a guy with absolutely no managerial experience the opportunity to go straight into the game at the second tier, I would expect more than a third of a season from him before he jumps ship to a club only three places higher in the pyramid. It would be unprofessional, ungrateful and disloyal on Beale's part. As you say, hell-bent on getting to the top with seemingly little care for the fallout.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In terms of experience, Potter had a far more varied, interesting career profile by the time he got to Brighton: a degree in Social Sciences, a Masters in Leadership, seven years coaching in Sweden getting Ostersund first promotion and then beating Galatasaray in the qualifiers and Arsenal in the group stages of the Europa League, then a decent season with Swansea just missing the play-offs and getting to the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup.

Beale has mostly spent the 19 years he is so quick to alert us that he's worked in football coaching kids. He's not worked with a first team longer than the 2 1/2 years he spent with Rangers. His 6 months in Brazil saw Sao Paolo drift into the relegation zone and get knocked out of the Copa de Brasil and Sudamericana, his spell at Villa wasn't especially inspiring, Rangers was granted fine but in a league where Conor Ronan was a standout player, and he has a grand total of 15 professional games under his belt as head coach in the Championship, not even in a blaze of glory (although as I edit this he's gone top - fair play)

It still stands though, how on earth is he expected to draw on experiences in moments where drawing on experience is exactly what is required, when he doesn't have any? The pressures of youth football are completely different to first team affairs. It's why Kevin Cullis failed at Swansea after tearing it up with Stourbridge Cobras (they were good, I played against them!) - it's a different discipline. His big wins are TAA, and, ermm....that's about it. What about players like Neves and Costa? I know he's worked with Coutinho, but who else is he going to relate to and how? I've seen little of players saying how he's inspired them, turned their careers around, etc. That's what we need right now - even Bruno had João Felix.

We hear his man management is good, but that's been when Gerrard has been throwing tea cups around in the dressing room - being the good guy will always result in players liking you. He doesn't have that luxury now, and he can't get rid of our first team and replace them with kids he's seen in youth tournaments in his notebooks because he has to keep us up first.

Shi and Sellars OUT
This is an annoyingly good post as it abates my Beale appetite.

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On paper it looks like a Lage II appointment, only English, and with less experience.

It’s a gamble of monumental proportions, and quite frankly if it goes wrong it will have huge ramifications for years to come.

It’s so left field and bizarre that a tiny part of me hopes that it might be a master stroke. We’ll find out soon enough.

It's the complete opposite to Lage, Lage had a familiarity with a lot of our players due to his history within the Portuguese youth system which a large portion of our squad developed through, it was a comfortable appointment.

Beale is a complete culture shock appointment, which we are in need of but partway through a season it's very risky - don't think we even contemplate a move like this without the 6 week break for the world cup. Our squad doesn't look anything close to what Beale would want so I'm kind of intrigued on why he would take the job now, I guess money and ambition.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been looking and obviously I must be missing something because surely when we sacked Lage, there should have been a few threads on this guy or at least a few mentions if so many are seemingly happy with the appointment? Not only are there not threads, there is not a single mention of him in regard to possibly taking over even ten days after Lage was sacked, why do we think that is? Oh yeah, because he's barely dipped his toe into the world of football management and nobody in their right mind would put someone so inexperienced into such a situation as we're in right now

Shi and Sellars are gambling the future of the club on a single 'magic' bean. This is nothing against Michael Beale, this is totally against the absurd and completely illogical thinking that's led us to take this ridiculous gamble, and Shi and Sellars should walk

Back
Top Bottom