Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

McClean

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't wear a poppy.
I think the last time i wore one was when i was at school and i left 25 years ago.

I appreciate the sentiment and everything it represents. I just don't like the way its forced down everyone's throat.

Its the same with comic relief and children in need.

oooh this should be interesting!

surely you're gonna draw the same hostility that Maclean and Ali have received then!?

i fully agree with you btw, i'll do what i want not because i'm guilt tripped into it

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think it's entirely down to personal choice, really. I always wear a poppy, and I always put some money in when they bring the box round at work. It feels like the right thing to do for me. But it's not the same for everyone. If you think about it, the British Legion is a charity. I give money to them to support them. I donate money to Breast Cancer charities because I've had family members who have had breast cancer. But, for example, I don't give money to homeless charities. Does that mean I disagree with helping and supporting homeless people? Of course not, I just don't donate to that particular cause.

I think there's a slight difference with the poppies like, because it's a very visible show of support, and quite emotive. But at the end of the day, if someone doesn't wear a poppy, either by choice, or it's fallen off, whatever, it shouldn't be an issue, I don't think.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not meaning to drag out this predictable and tiresome thread but do explain this.
I realise that as with most things to do with Ireland and the political situation there, there's unlikely to be agreement and as you indicate it becomes pointless.
However McClean is clearly in the pro republican camp and they were responsible for the majority of innocent deaths in the UK during the troubles from the 60s. I actually agree with the Catholic community in Northern Ireland that their treatment at that time was disgraceful and no British government should have allowed it. But the IRA isn't the answ and
I suspect we are unlikely to agree on McClean and his views.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
W2VPcD9.jpg

Disgraceful from the BBC....

Would have loved to have seen that :D

Highwayman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just been watching Match of the day
Absolute disgrace that McClean did'nt have a poppy on his shirt like every other player
And his swipe at the Huddersfield player in the last minute should have been a straight red
That bloke really is the scum of the earth, absolute ****er

He's fully entitled to his opinion. He has given chapter and verse on it. Get over it.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is entitled to his opinion and entitled to express it publicly. I personally dislike the way that from a given day, usually about 10 days before Remembrance day, EVERYBODY who appears on screen on the BBC has to wear a poppy, not through personal choice but because the BBC high command runs scared of offending the Tory party, the Daily Telegraph and the rest of the right-wing press.

For what it's worth, I always wear one made out of old WWI bullet cases in memory of three great uncles who were killed in WWI. But that's my choice, and not wearing one is his. I respect that.

D

Deleted member 3573J

I admire his decision more every year, the easy thing to do would be cave in to public pressure and wear one. After reading his explanation to Dave Whelan a few years ago I don't know why anyone has an issue with it.

A man is nothing without his principles (and a woman obvs), so good on him

D

Deleted member 4453

Guys a really dirty player. Probably the only excitement they get down the Hawthorns at the moment. Wouldn't want him anywhere near our squad even if he is capable of flashes of brilliance.
The other side discussed on here I don't think needs discussing.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very extreme comments about a bloke who decides not to wear a poppy. His choice, his reasons and i respect that without necessarily agreeing with him. As for if we signed him, why would we unless we were on the way down from the present setup?

Paddy Wolf

Reaction score
I realise that as with most things to do with Ireland and the political situation there, there's unlikely to be agreement and as you indicate it becomes pointless.
However McClean is clearly in the pro republican camp and they were responsible for the majority of innocent deaths in the UK during the troubles from the 60s. I actually agree with the Catholic community in Northern Ireland that their treatment at that time was disgraceful and no British government should have allowed it. But the IRA isn't the answ and
I suspect we are unlikely to agree on McClean and his views.
At what point has he ever mentioned the IRA? His only statement on the subject suggests that he doesn't want to disrepect the victims of Bloody Sunday, whose families he lives alongside in Derry. Hugely important distinction.

Jonny De Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My Grandad fought in WW2 and his dad in WW1. He refuses to wear a poppy (like many others who fought but have never bought into parading themselves every year) due to utter lack of respect, compassion and help the British Legion showed during and post wars. I've met quite a few folks who think this too.

I have no issue if someone refuses to wear the poppy, I have more of an issue with people who think EVERYONE should wear the thing.
My grandad (served in both great wars having lied about his age) also refused to wear a poppy due to the name they used to carry - Haig fund, as he had no respect for Field Marshal Haig
Grandad (and many many others) agreed with the sentiment of the fund but despised the hypocrisy of it being seen as the man that sent hundreds of thousands to die or be injured then helping them.
I personally wear one from 1st November through to Remembrance Sunday but don't see it as something everyone must do.
How we pay our respects to those we feel deserve them is a very personal issue in so many ways

M

Mr Wolf

Slightly OT but on the subject of charity how many beggars were there on Saturday going into the game from Town.

Normally I give the Man with a Dog a few quid in the subway but there was at least 6 more this time.

Jonny De Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Slightly OT but on the subject of charity how many beggars were there on Saturday going into the game from Town.

Normally I give the Man with a Dog a few quid in the subway but there was at least 6 more this time.
Recently there had been at least 4 homeless camped in the brick shelters in Faulkland street car park. They have been moved on & the shelters have been boarded up last couple of weeks so may be displacement of these chaps

D

Deleted member 3573J

As well as remembering the dead, the poppy is also used to promote current wars, maybe if the motto was "this can never happen again" or to "stop war" then I'd get behind it. But it's not, it's used by politicians to carry out their mass murder abroad and they will use the poppy to smash down opposition to their wars by questioning your loyalty and patriotism if you disagree with it.

You can show your respect to the dead without wearing a symbol, I've volunteered to clean up WW2 war memorials among other things, personally I'd rather go out and do something, even if it's relatively small, than just give money. I never give money to any of the big charities, if I give my time I know for sure it's helping, give a tenner to children in need, who knows where it really goes, probably someone like David Miliband with his 500k a year salary from charity donations.

Paddy Wolf

Reaction score

Well, while Rupert Murdoch and Paul Dacre have distracted you with stories about footballers not wearing Poppies and those scary teen refugees, homelessness has gone up 54% since 2010.

C

ChesterWolf

It's his own personal choice not to wear a poppy. He's obviously done his research, spoken to the right people and made his mind up. He's allowed to do that. Moeen Ali doesn't wear a poppy either, and I'm sure there are plenty of other people who have their own personal reasons for not wearing a poppy. You're also allowed to disagree with their decision, that's the beauty of free speech. But whether you agree or not, you have to accept it.

As for footballing ability, McClean is an absolute ****** as far as I'm concerned. I remember we played Wigan a couple of years ago, right near the end of the season, and they badly needed the win to stay up. McClean spent the entire 90 minutes trying to foul our players and get a reaction. He got sent off in added time for what was effectively a forearm smash into the face of Stearman. He let his own arrogance and ego get in the way of what his team needed. Would I have him at Wolves? Absolutely not. But it's irrelevant, because there's not a chance he'd get into our team.

He does wear a poppy it just fell off before the squad photo.

R

reanswolf

so he doesn't want to wear poppy therefore shouldn't work here? that makes no sense does it

I also think he's a ****, but does it need to be discussed every year?

That's my take on it. I don't blame him for not wearing one due to his political position, which is fair enough, but don't come here and take our money then, cos that makes you a hypocrite in my eyes.

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolute disgrace that McClean did'nt have a poppy on his shirt like every other player
And his swipe at the Huddersfield player in the last minute should have been a straight red
I say this every year he is a sectarian bigot who supports the IRA ,hates the British and apparently doesn't wear a poppy because of bloody sunday which happened way before he was born and it's the sort of stuff we are trying to stop over here i wish they would all **** off bigots of both sides and and take their ****ing bands with them they are a dying breed over here and i knew this kid a bit from my IFA work coaching i dont remember him talking much very talented kid but he is brainwashed unfortunately

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The poppy thing has been done to death and whilst I don't like his stance, I kind of have more respect for someone who chooses not to wear it (his choice) and can give an impassioned reason why than the others who wear it because they're told to and probably don't even know what it represents.

Now onto football. The tackle was nasty, cynical and intentional, the look and reaction in the immediate aftermath sums him up, and could have caused a nasty injury. Deserved a red imo

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who cares about McClean, don't give him the oxygen of publicity. What is far more worrying is news reports that 25% of young people don't wear poppies because they think they glorify war. More PC perversion in a world where it is becoming something of a plague. Of course everyone has a right to support or not support Remberance in its true spirit of gratitude and compassion for those who gave their lives so that we could live in freedom. It should never be forced in any way but our education system and parents in general who have even a shred of common sense and dignity should stand up to PC narratives which although cloaked in supposed 'good motives' are a subtle attack on our traditions and on the honour of those who lived and fought before us.

My father and father-in-law risked their lives in the Fleet Air Arm as pilots during the Second World War as did my grandfather as a soldier in the First World War. He lost two brothers in the fighting and a brother-in-law. What is so sickening about the PC narratives is that they speak as if they are the only spokesmen/women for peace, as if they exclusively stand for peace. Remembrance is worth fighting for, just as fighting for our freedoms is worth fighting for. The day that stops we are lost as a nation.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who cares about McClean, don't give him the oxygen of publicity. What is far more worrying is news reports that 25% of young people don't wear poppies because they think they glorify war. More PC perversion in a world where it is becoming something of a plague. Of course everyone has a right to support or not support Rememberance in its true spirit of gratitude and compassion for those who gave their lives so that we could live in freedom. It should never be forced in any way but our education system and parents in general who have even a shred of common sense and dignity should stand up to PC narratives which although cloaked in supposed 'good motives' are a subtle attack on our traditions and on the honour of those who lived and fought before us.

My father and father-in-law risked their lives in the Fleet Air Arm as pilots during the Second World War as did my grandfather as a soldier in the First World War. He lost two brothers in the fighting and a brother-in-law. What is so sickening about the PC narratives is that they speak as if they are the only spokesmen/women for peace, as if they exclusively stand for peace. Remembrance is worth fighting for, just as fighting for our freedoms is worth fighting for. The day that stops we are lost as a nation.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I choose to wear a poppy every year but have no issues with McClean not doing so.

I'm more concerned with how that tackle yesterday wasn't a red. Horrendous with no attempt to play the ball.

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
remembrance day parades are growing in size each year lately, which is great news.

I'd rather people didn't buy a poppy as some sort of fashion statement and actually turned up on Sunday instead, theres a lot of old timers turning up who aren't going to be around much longer. Take my kids every year and they love talking to the vets, mainly inspired by WW@ projects they did in junior school

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually I didn’t used to wear a poppy, until pin badges appeared, but put money into the collection every year. Also my Granddaughter wears my medals on parade, and I don’t, nor do I wear my beret etc (I don’t like drawing attention to myself).
Each to their own, but best to avoid gobbling off about it I think

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
remembrance day parades are growing in size each year lately, which is great news.

I'd rather people didn't buy a poppy as some sort of fashion statement and actually turned up on Sunday instead, theres a lot of old timers turning up who aren't going to be around much longer. Take my kids every year and they love talking to the vets, mainly inspired by WW@ projects they did in junior school

Good man for bringing your kids up to understand and respect what this means

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At what point has he ever mentioned the IRA? His only statement on the subject suggests that he doesn't want to disrepect the victims of Bloody Sunday, whose families he lives alongside in Derry. Hugely important distinction.
I think you will find a few videos knocking about of McClean in a bar singing pro IRA songs

G

German Wolf

One of the things that perhaps you have forgotten as an accuser is that he believes he was forced to be a subject of a foreign and colonising country that accepts it did some terrible things to his community. He like many people doesn't agree with many of the political statements like this one by his country of birth so he does not join in. He doesn't do this, he doesn't do that. Leave him in peace then!
The atmosphere has definitely changed for the worse in the UK. What happened to the dream of co-existence that many of us had in previous decades? I remember most people for many, many years not wearing poppies, not because we were anti- this or that but because we wanted to move forward in society and let people, often from our own family history, rest in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

German Wolf

I don't wear a poppy.
I think the last time i wore one was when i was at school and i left 25 years ago.

I appreciate the sentiment and everything it represents. I just don't like the way its forced down everyone's throat.

Its the same with comic relief and children in need.

And to add to that, I have had an 80s moustache, well, since the 80s :) ;)and now so many people think I should be the centre of attention every November and shave it off. It's all slowly becoming so boringly mob-handed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the things that perhaps you have forgotten as an accuser is that he believes he was forced to be a subject of a foreign and colonising country. He like many people doesn't agree with many of the political statements like this one by his country of birth so he does not join in. He doesn't do this, he doesn't do that. Leave him in peace then!
The atmosphere has definitely changed for the worse in the UK. What happened to the dream of co-existence that many of us had in previous decades? I remember most people for many, many years not wearing poppies, not because we were anti- this or that but because we wanted to move forward in society and let people, often from our own family history, rest in peace.

If it wasn’t for those that gave their lives in two world wars he certainly would have been that and wouldn’t be over here earning obscene amounts of money every week.

G

German Wolf

If it wasn’t for those that gave their lives in two world wars he certainly would have been that and wouldn’t be over here earning obscene amounts of money every week.

So, from that, 'they walked in line, they walked in line, they walked in line' - Joy Division. Live and let be!

D

Deleted member 3518

Is this the same James McClean that some were lauding only a month or so ago for scoring the goal that effectively knocked Wales out of the WC?

S

Shifnal Wolf

It’s his choice

Whether we’d ever want to sign him questions, the answer is no!

Not because of this, but because he’s an awful footballer :)

Jonny De Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't know if it was a changed shirt or not but Leon Clarke didn't have a poppy on his shirt yesterday - just thought I'd throw that out there

D

Deleted member 5962

He says he is a peaceful guy and lives side by side with the same people
Lying *******, the blokes a thug
IMO if he doesn't want to wear the poppy on his shirt then he should not be included in the squad for that game as he knows it will offend the thousands of supporters watching him

So people should be forced to do things that directly contradict their culture or personal beliefs like for fear of offending people around them? Wasnt aware that the UK had become a state with no freedom of expression.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s a free country. I donate but don’t usually wear a poppy. Totally personal decision about what you do. Not wearing a poppy doesn’t have to mean you are anti armed service support.

R

reanswolf

I think you will find a few videos knocking about of McClean in a bar singing pro IRA songs
Its such a sensitive subject inevitably, but there was no excuse for British imperialism really, I personally think we should give Northern Ireland back to Ireland, Gibraltar back to Spain, and maybe the Falklands back to Argentina. But of course that affects thousands of people loyal to the Crown who will feel differently. And also that stance might upset our own servicemen who have lost friends fighting for those causes.

But sometimes you just have to look at right and wrong in a cold light of day.
We shouldn't really be there.

But that's why I'm not a politician making important decisions :)-/

M

MonkeySpanner

If that's how he feels that's fine, but then don't ply your trade in the U.K. then.
Isn't taking pounds as your wage like taking blood money?

Back
Top Bottom