Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well the January gamble lasted two whole weeks. Bravo Wolves.

Gutted for Matheus after showing such great form for the past couple of months. Hopefully we see him again in a month or so.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There you go some wouldn’t listen to concerns over no cover and risking the loans of two strikers before replacement(s). Hwang has always had injury problems, currently calf issue. Flogged Cunha to death.
I guess we can look forward to Bellagarde or Frazier being a replacement(s) or starter(s). Sorry to be gloomy but this could put our season to bed.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
League season was over about a month ago (thankfully) as relegation concerns got put to bed, but a real shame about the FA Cup. Hopefully we can squeak past Brighton, get a favourable draw and have him back for mid-April.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There you go some wouldn’t listen to concerns over no cover and risking the loans of two strikers before replacement(s). Hwang has always had injury problems, currently calf issue. Flogged Cunha to death.
I guess we can look forward to Bellagarde or Frazier being a replacement(s) or starter(s). Sorry to be gloomy but this could put our season to bed.
I agree with this apart from you can’t really say we flogged Cunha to death. What we did was play our best player when he was fit and available as often as possible. Every club plays their best players.

But yea, everything else is completely stupid and self inflicted by the club.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean… this is a massive blow whichever way you look at it but it should have the caveat attached that it’s a great opportunity for Fabio and/or Sasa to stake a claim and have a run of games.

Last edited:

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might be me being cynical but interesting that O'Neil is the one coming out with this news given it isn't in his pre match press conference or anything. One might think we have made a big mistake in January and they don't want to own it and send O'Neil out to break the bad news instead....

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'Fairly significant' is not very specific and could mean anything. In that it's not something he will recover from straight away and will keep him out for some games, but maybe not that many. Or it could be much longer.

I'm hoping that Wolves have learnt a lesson from the Neto injury.

Rather than say a couple of weeks (albeit that was Pedro himself), for it to then be a couple of months, always under-promise and over-deliver!

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only positive I can think of is that it doesn't sound like he needs an op.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean… this is a massive blow whichever was you look at it but it should have the caveat attached that it’s a great opportunity for Fabio and/or Sasa to stake a claim and have a run of games.

Wouldn't be half as bad news if at least one of them was still here. Finally, a chance for one of them to play 5/6 games in a row, with no real pressure given we're midtable.

Alas, step forward Nathan Fraser, who was set to go on loan to a team just outside the League One relegation zone just two weeks ago. I fear for him if he plays league games, the fan base will destroy his confidence by the end of the season, and it won't be his fault.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but some of this is way over the top.

First he's played 2292 minutes for Wolves and 36 minutes for Brazil this season. That's 2328 minutes in total or less than 26 full games. So we haven't 'flogged him to death'.

Also he's not been played as the 9 recently. The positive option is Cunha and Neto with a Hwang down the middle. If we'd bought a new 9 that would still be the same, but maybe Hwang would have gone off or switched to the Cunha role, which doesn't suit him at all. So the failure to bring in a 9 doesn't really weaken us that much. Bellegarde and Sarabia will cover the deeper attacking role and Hwang or Fraser will lead the line.

That's not excusing the club, or saying everything is ideal, but things are nowhere near as disasterous and some seem to think.

If Neto is injured as well then the lack of pace up top will really hurt us, but I don't think we were ever looking for a quick 9, and Silva and Sasa certainly wouldn't have covered that need.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well the January gamble lasted two whole weeks. Bravo Wolves.

Gutted for Matheus after showing such great form for the past couple of months. Hopefully we see him again in a month or so.
You do realise we tried and finances didn't work in our favour, I mean a point deduction sounds fun and all but I'd rather not.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't be half as bad news if at least one of them was still here. Finally, a chance for one of them to play 5/6 games in a row, with no real pressure given we're midtable.

Alas, step forward Nathan Fraser, who was set to go on loan to a team just outside the League One relegation zone just two weeks ago. I fear for him if he plays league games, the fan base will destroy his confidence by the end of the season, and it won't be his fault.
Well that's on the fanbase, no?

On the latter, yeah, lets proceed with players who aren't going to be here, or don't wish to be here, that's very forward thinking.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but some of this is way over the top.

First he's played 2292 minutes for Wolves and 36 minutes for Brazil this season. That's 2328 minutes in total or less than 26 full games. So we haven't 'flogged him to death'.

Also he's not been played as the 9 recently. The positive option is Cunha and Neto with a Hwang down the middle. If we'd bought a new 9 that would still be the same, but maybe Hwang would have gone off or switched to the Cunha role, which doesn't suit him at all. So the failure to bring in a 9 doesn't really weaken us that much. Bellegarde and Sarabia will cover the deeper attacking role and Hwang or Fraser will lead the line.

That's not excusing the club, or saying everything is ideal, but things are nowhere near as disasterous and some seem to think.

If Neto is injured as well then the lack of pace up top will really hurt us, but I don't think we were ever looking for a quick 9, and Silva and Sasa certainly wouldn't have covered that need.

Hwang would obviously have gone into Cunha’s role and he would’ve been good there.

The results will prove whether it’s disastrous.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever we could have signed in January was not replacing Cunha’s output. We just need to hope that Sarabia-Neto-Hwang can perform to a similar level, as we coped well without Neto. I’m not convinced we will, as Cunha is by far our most important player. A real shame. Gutted.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You do realise we tried and finances didn't work in our favour, I mean a point deduction sounds fun and all but I'd rather not.
That’s a pretty extreme take, isn’t it? Nobody was advocating for us to go and spend a fortune on players in January - just to get cover, and specifically to get cover before we let our existing cover leave. We took a risk and it’s backfired within two weeks.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s a pretty extreme take, isn’t it? Nobody was advocating for us to go and spend a fortune on players in January - just to get cover, and specifically to get cover before we let our existing cover leave. We took a risk and it’s backfired within two weeks.
And the club tried to get cover, the finances didn't work, so we haven't got any.

That's the crux. Not sure what part consistently keep going over your head?

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One positive, we can play a 3-4-1-2, with Hwang and Neto up top, and Sarabia or Bellegarde in their favoured number 10 role.
Yeah think we have to tweak the formation without Cunha, there's nobody to replicate what he does for us.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no sympathy for the club but obviously every sympathy for Cunha who has been fantastic. Equally I have as much sympathy for Gary O'Neill.

The club has known for 7, 8, is it even 9 windows now? We desperately require(d) centre forward additions.

It is genuinely to the point now of being funny that they have not addressed it.

I am actually starting to think it is all just one big wind up from Jeff. We didn't take to his generational ego trip talent, so he won't back anyone else. And yes, I realise how ridiculous of a suggestion that is, but certainly no more ridiculous than us not having signed a centre forward, again.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the club tried to get cover, the finances didn't work, so we haven't got any.

We don’t really care about ‘tried’ and it’s a very vague word in your sentence. Did they try? How hard did they try, if they did?

That’s without going into letting players leave before or even the finances. You seem to know more than John Percy, Gary O’Neil and Johnny Phillips who have all indicated there was money to sign players.

Anyway, it’s about what actually happens.

Once again, they’ve delivered a disastrous window which was all their own doing.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One positive, we can play a 3-4-1-2, with Hwang and Neto up top, and Sarabia or Bellegarde in their favoured number 10 role.
Or have Doyle, Lemina and Gomes in with Hwang and Neto up top with Boub to cover in midfield from the bench.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Nothing is going over my head, why do you always talk down to people? Does it make you feel big and clever?

The finances didn’t work, so they shouldn’t have let our existing cover go until we’d found a solution where the finances did work. That’s my opinion, it differs from yours.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing is going over my head, why do you always talk down to people? Does it make you feel big and clever?

The finances didn’t work, so they shouldn’t have let our existing cover go until we’d found a solution where the finances did work. That’s my opinion, it differs from yours.

Certainly all of our even vaguely experienced cover. They gambled that a freakishly good injury record could be maintained and lost.... Just as they did when Nuno was boss.....

We don’t really care about ‘tried’ and it’s a very vague word in your sentence. Did they try? How hard did they try, if they did?

That’s without going into letting players leave before or even the finances. You seem to know more than John Percy, Gary O’Neil and Johnny Phillips who have all indicated there was money to sign players.

Once again, they’ve delivered a disastrous window which was all their own doing.
The lost prize money resulting from finishing three or four places lower will probably amount to more than the cost of cover.

Reaction score
It's clearly a massive blow losing, in my opinion, our best player but he has not been playing as a number 9 (which is the area everybody was screaming about in January).
He was, undoubtedly, pivotal to how we've been playing but GON will now have to find another way to set the team up. That will be a challenge.

I was never very optimistic about us pushing on into a European spot but I was hopeful of going very deep in the FA Cup. I am quite pessimistic about that now but hope I'm proven wrong and others can step up

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

On a scale of 1 to 10, how thrilling has his injury been for you for that sweet chance to go 'I told you so'.

Jibes aside, I'm sorry, but all they do is try? You do realise you can have money, try and the deal not come off. I could have £50 but that isn't going to buy me a £100 meal.

Talk down? Why do you persist on the same points regardless, the same people, doom and gloom ready to go.

It's your opinion, great, best thing about them, they're like ********s in that everyone has one, just varying amounts of **** comes out of them.

Back
Top Bottom