Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto pulling up like he did at home to Newcastle was met with a mixture of doom and blind optimism. I might have dreamt it but didn't Gary say something that implied it could be a minor setback?

I went from thinking the rest of the season to maybe a couple of weeks.

Neto was injured on 28th October and did not start another game until 23rd January.

Found this just now:
"He’s moving around. Obviously hamstring injuries have very different levels of severity, so we’re hoping it’s on the smaller side,” he said.

So not as I thought - just hoping without any prognosis, as we all were doing. I don't recall anybody saying Neto won't be back for ages, so expect a similar scenario with Cunha.
Neto was far worse from what i gather, neto had a tear

I dont believe he has a tear, minor strain, but i expect 2 weeks to a month

But this is just heresay i doubt the way he hobbled hes playing against spurs

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose that supports the narrative but other teams have had a lot more injuries than us. Look at Villa with three ACL’s already this year

We are back to “par” really with the rest of the league with injuries now, since we got rid of our last “nightmare” club dr…….

But sadly the injury bug can just hit you for absolutely no bloody reason

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Small squad being run into the ground . Players being asked to do things to cover lack of alternatives. So predictable.
I dont see that tbh,although we have a small squad we havent had that many injuries this season
Man C had Rodri Haaland and De Bruyne out
Newcastle had half the first team injured
Brighton, Bournemouth , Brentford, Palace all had huge injury lists at times

Reaction score
Neto was far worse from what i gather, neto had a tear

I dont believe he has a tear, minor strain, but i expect 2 weeks to a month

But this is just heresay i doubt the way he hobbled hes playing against spurs
I think I reported at the time that my contact had told me Neto's was a grade 3 tear and it was touch and go as to whether he had to have an operation. They decided against it but had to handle his recovery very carefully.

I'm still waiting for definite news but I understand that Cunha may not be as bad as Neto was. That said, our medical team are now very careful and will do what they think is best for the player and, in turn therefore, the team. GON was more than patient with Neto and was happy to take the advice of the medical staff. I'm sure it will be the same here

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I reported at the time that my contact had told me Neto's was a grade 3 tear and it was touch and go as to whether he had to have an operation. They decided against it but had to handle his recovery very carefully.

I'm still waiting for definite news but I understand that Cunha may not be as bad as Neto was. That said, our medical team are now very careful and will do what they think is best for the player and, in turn therefore, the team. GON was more than patient with Neto and was happy to take the advice of the medical staff. I'm sure it will be the same here
Pretty similar to what i have been told, its not a tear and not neto grade. But still need to take it careful

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I find it very reassuring that Gary O’Neil listens to the advice of the medical team. I don’t think that has always been the case with some managers.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Neto pulling up like he did at home to Newcastle was met with a mixture of doom and blind optimism. I might have dreamt it but didn't Gary say something that implied it could be a minor setback?

I went from thinking the rest of the season to maybe a couple of weeks.

Neto was injured on 28th October and did not start another game until 23rd January.

Found this just now:
"He’s moving around. Obviously hamstring injuries have very different levels of severity, so we’re hoping it’s on the smaller side,” he said.

So not as I thought - just hoping without any prognosis, as we all were doing. I don't recall anybody saying Neto won't be back for ages, so expect a similar scenario with Cunha.
Neto decided himself he’d be back in a couple of weeks

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Neto decided himself he’d be back in a couple of weeks
Did get grief at the time for saying it would be New Year (just beat that). It looked just like when Jarvo did his. Cunha's didn't look anywhere near as bad to me, but obviously it's impossible to tell really. Still hoping it's a couple of games despite people on here randomly saying 12 weeks!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Hwang to come into Cunha for the time being doesn’t weaken us too much, we’ll have to change how we play a bit. Important we don’t make the error of the past and rush someone back only to get injured again.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang to come into Cunha for the time being doesn’t weaken us too much, we’ll have to change how we play a bit. Important we don’t make the error of the past and rush someone back only to get injured again.
Use bellegarde or Neto to drive from midfield. Without cunha you have to play bellegarde right position or use ran to do it

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Use bellegarde or Neto to drive from midfield. Without cunha you have to play bellegarde right position or use ran to do it
You know what
If Cunha is not fit for Saturday then I would start Fraser in the middle with Neto and Sarabia either side, we looked more threatening with that on Saturday in the second half
Throw him in the deep end and see what the lad can do

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You know what
If Cunha is not fit for Saturday then I would start Fraser in the middle with Neto and Sarabia either side, we looked more threatening with that on Saturday in the second half
Throw him in the deep end and see what the lad can do
Against spurs I don't know if that's the right option. Hwang needs to be up top if he's fit.

Sheffield United yes all for it

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Against spurs I don't know if that's the right option. Hwang needs to be up top if he's fit.

Sheffield United yes all for it
Free hit against Spurs?
But yep I agree I think I had a senior moment, Hwang if fit must start, but if not then I would love to see what Fraser can do

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose that supports the narrative but other teams have had a lot more injuries than us. Look at Villa with three ACL’s already this year
It was my answer to why our important players get injured . If we had got cover, as GON asked for, they wouldn't be as important.
Villa can still put out a potent team.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont see that tbh,although we have a small squad we havent had that many injuries this season
Man C had Rodri Haaland and De Bruyne out
Newcastle had half the first team injured
Brighton, Bournemouth , Brentford, Palace all had huge injury lists at times
It was in answer to why do our important players always get injured. Its because they are all important. The lesser ones don't get injured as they don't get played.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Free hit against Spurs?
But yep I agree I think I had a senior moment, Hwang if fit must start, but if not then I would love to see what Fraser can do
I'd have fancied us strongly to beat 'high line' Spurs with our best eleven. It was never a free hit in the sense we'd say Arsenal or Man City are. Even then, we beat the latter and almost upset the former on their own pitch.

mroli74

Reaction score
It was my answer to why our important players get injured . If we had got cover, as GON asked for, they wouldn't be as important.
Villa can still put out a potent team.
Really good article on Villa and finances in Athletic: Aston Villa and FFP: The Grealish money, creativity and selling academy talent

They shifted Dendoncker on to save cash, but only after they got Tielemens up to speed. We haven't sold a "Grealish" yet - who is a £100m profit for them on their books.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really good article on Villa and finances in Athletic: Aston Villa and FFP: The Grealish money, creativity and selling academy talent

They shifted Dendoncker on to save cash, but only after they got Tielemens up to speed. We haven't sold a "Grealish" yet - who is a £100m profit for them on their books.
Villa have got the same problem with Watkins that we have with Cunha ....them asking him to do far too much, play too many minutes....I think Watkins may start breaking down soon....and they have zero cover.....they have been walking a tight rope with him for a bit.....

Rowzed

Reaction score
Unless it is very minor indeed I’d expect him to be unfit for selection till after the international fortnight.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if GON gives Tawanda Chirewa some minutes in the next couple of games as an alternative to playing Nathan Fraser.

He's been impressive, is no longer a teenager so probably has a little more footballing maturity than Fraser, and GON seems to like him.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I still don’t really know if our lack of January signings was down to FFP or us setting our targets too high for a club with a small squad . A club that needs cover and options , not Neto and Cunha type superstars.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if GON gives Tawanda Chirewa some minutes in the next couple of games as an alternative to playing Nathan Fraser.

He's been impressive, is no longer a teenager so probably has a little more footballing maturity than Fraser, and GON seems to like him.

He looked a cut above in the u21 game on Sunday. He looks a very good player.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still don’t really know if our lack of January signings was down to FFP or us setting our targets too high for a club with a small squad . A club that needs cover and options , not Neto and Cunha type superstars.

I think you have to look at the vast majority of clubs in the Premier League. Most of them did little or only loan signings.
With 2 clubs being found guilty off breaking FFP regulations, clubs are being very careful of spending money in the January transfer market, as you get less for your money.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
Villa have got the same problem with Watkins that we have with Cunha ....them asking him to do far too much, play too many minutes....I think Watkins may start breaking down soon....and they have zero cover.....they have been walking a tight rope with him for a bit.....
Agreed, I read that Villa have rotated less than any other team in the Premier League and their outfield players have played more minutes than any other team.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, I read that Villa have rotated less than any other team in the Premier League and their outfield players have played more minutes than any other team.
Watkins is in the top 8 for minutes played in the league....the others are all keepers and centre backs .. forwards can't play that many minutes without it affecting your game.....the villa fans at work have been saying he has been poor for a month....I keep telling em your are running him into the ground that's why .....

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Small squad being run into the ground . Players being asked to do things to cover lack of alternatives. So predictable.
You know what l don’t understand is that fans have been saying this for years but people who are paid top yen on the side of a company that’s actual business is sport cannot see this

It’s absurd, frustrating, pathetic and worrying.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You know what l don’t understand is that fans have been saying this for years but people who are paid top yen on the side of a company that’s actual business is sport cannot see this

Big squads cost more money we don't have/ can't spend because of rules.

It's about striking a good balance of depth and quality.

If we had 2 players in every position and a full set of rotation options, none of them would be as good as Neto or Cunha and we be moaning about being crap

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yet it was fantastic we had such a small close knit group with Nuno ?
Just bad luck

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big squads cost more money we don't have/ can't spend because of rules.

It's about striking a good balance of depth and quality.

If we had 2 players in every position and a full set of rotation options, none of them would be as good as Neto or Cunha and we be moaning about being crap
High on quality, lower on numbers is the only way we can do it......still find it baffling that some don't get it....

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s no good having racehorses if you flog them like carthorses
Yes that's the risk.....but no good having low level but numbers throughout your squad ...as you will probably go down.... so within our means its the only way we can approach it.....the Mick Mcarthy way doesn't work.....

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I'm not really having that we're flogging the players. Playing Europa League Sun-Thurs was a big ask, but not the schedule we've got now. We'd all like a bigger squad of course, but not twice as many players that are half as good.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Really, we're short one attacker. Rather than spending money for short-term (possible, not guaranteed*) gain, the club decided to hold their fire and target the summer to bring in a better option when we have more breathing room with FFP (and probably Neto leaving). Hwang coming back will lessen the impact of Cunha's injury. But, we will miss Cunha and let's hope he will only miss a game or two.

*Note: we should know that bringing in a short-term striker does not guarantee points - see Willian Jose and Diego Costa.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you have to look at the vast majority of clubs in the Premier League. Most of them did little or only loan signings.
With 2 clubs being found guilty off breaking FFP regulations, clubs are being very careful of spending money in the January transfer market, as you get less for your money.
I understand that but I do believe we did enough in the massive summer clear out .

Back
Top Bottom