Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

Wolfmeister75

Groupie
Reaction score
watching him yesterday and before anyone starts having a pop I realise it’s a meaningless friendly. But, the chances he had against a makeshift Celtic defence make me wonder whether we’ve wasted yet another serious wedge of cash on a forward who ain’t going to score than 5 goals this season. On the plus side Silva looked really good.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s not a striker more of a CAM or winger

Not someone I rate that highly myself given the price tag. Willing to give him and Nunes another chance this season though.

Cunha is like many of our players, confidence players. Once the heads have dropped forget it

However once he has support for example direct runners with Doc & Fabio coming on he upped his game….

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm starting to dislike him. Sarabia took on a shot and curled it beyond the far post, a decent effort imo, and Cunha seemed to complain about not receiving a pass when he wasn't really open and wasn't even playing well. There was a match last season where Costa played the ball in front of Cunha and ran on into the box. Lacking a left foot, Cunha had to run past the ball to hit it with his right and hit a poor shot. Costa suggested he should have been passed to and Cunha pointed to his eyes, seeming to suggest that he hadn't seen Costa. It was difficult to believe this given that Costa had just passed to him, and then made a normal run. The truth as far as I could tell was that Cunha hadn't tried to return the pass because to do so he would have had to use his left foot, and he doesn't have one. Sometimes it's like watching a hockey player.

It makes matters worse that when Cunha has somebody up with him, Cunha is almost invariably to the left of the other player and therefore can hardly ever pass to them in the box. His whole game seems to be based on the inverted-forward shot curled past the keeper into the far post. He had a decent effort just after he scored which was IIRC of that type. I think PL defenders have him sussed though and won't let him cut back onto his right very often. Maybe I'm wrong.

He took the penalty very well, and I'll warm to him rapidly if he chalks a few more goals up, but at the moment I see him as a Dave Edwards type of player: he'll chip in with a few goals, but the fluency of the team will be poor while he's there and this will reduce our over all goals scored. I think we could use Doc as a forward and we would be better off than with Cunha there. Fabs worked very well with Doc, and understood the intelligent run he made.

Just my opinion. ;)

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha is an excellent number 10 get a decent centre forward in front of him and he will shine
Against Port him and Nunes were the outstanding players on the pitch
In summary IMO it will be money well spent

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is not, and never will be, a number 9. He is a number 10, and looked best last season when playing off of Costa. He instantly improved when Fabio came on. He operates better in a slightly deeper role where he can pick up the ball and run at players.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm starting to dislike him. Sarabia took on a shot and curled it beyond the far post, a decent effort imo, and Cunha seemed to complain about not receiving a pass when he wasn't really open and wasn't even playing well. There was a match last season where Costa played the ball in front of Cunha and ran on into the box. Lacking a left foot, Cunha had to run past the ball to hit it with his right and hit a poor shot. Costa suggested he should have been passed to and Cunha pointed to his eyes, seeming to suggest that he hadn't seen Costa. It was difficult to believe this given that Costa had just passed to him, and then made a normal run. The truth as far as I could tell was that Cunha hadn't tried to return the pass because to do so he would have had to use his left foot, and he doesn't have one. Sometimes it's like watching a hockey player.

It makes matters worse that when Cunha has somebody up with him, Cunha is almost invariably to the left of the other player and therefore can hardly ever pass to them in the box. His whole game seems to be based on the inverted-forward shot curled past the keeper into the far post. He had a decent effort just after he scored which was IIRC of that type. I think PL defenders have him sussed though and won't let him cut back onto his right very often. Maybe I'm wrong.

He took the penalty very well, and I'll warm to him rapidly if he chalks a few more goals up, but at the moment I see him as a Dave Edwards type of player: he'll chip in with a few goals, but the fluency of the team will be poor while he's there and this will reduce our over all goals scored. I think we could use Doc as a forward and we would be better off than with Cunha there. Fabs worked very well with Doc, and understood the intelligent run he made.

Just my opinion. ;)
Couldn't disagree with you anymore about Cunha being a Dave Edwards type of player
There’s a million miles difference in quality and I liked Dave Edwards
Cunha is a class act

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree with you anymore about Cunha being a Dave Edwards type of player
There’s a million miles difference in quality and I liked Dave Edwards
Cunha is a class act
Class act ? More of a show pony

Just my opinion. ;)
100% this!! I’d trust Sarabia with Fabio & Neto over Cunha

Cunha and Nunes are two id be trying to sell on

Two very very expensive luxury players for our position

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good player, just not a center forward, probably good for 8 goals a season. Certainly not worth 45 million or whatever it was.

JTWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm not sure he will ever be particularly prolific, but I saw enough yesterday to make me believe he can be a great link up striker.... In the Firmino kind of mold.

Julen knew what he was getting when he insisted on signing him, so he must have a plan for him.

Cunha was one of our better performers yesterday. He isn’t a number 9 but he is an excellent forward player to link people together.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha was one of our better performers yesterday. He isn’t a number 9 but he is an excellent forward player to link people together.
Needs to be helped by others not a lone striker

For all we know Cunha & Sasa could be our next Ebanks-Blake & Iwelumo

Experiments required by JL to take risks in games

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he looks a really good player to me but needs someone to play off to be effective

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I admire your obvious passion for Wolves, but I have to say.... thank **** you're not in charge of decisions! Nunes is our best player. I expect both to have good seasons.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
40 million well spent??? Sorry but even as a number 10 you’d expect him to be able to finish some of those chances he had. Some were sitters
Best players in the world miss sitters
Never mind just jump on the bandwagon of negativity

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Play the bloke in his correct position and in the correct set up (as a No 10 playing in a 2, off the No 9) and he will thrive. But play him as a one up-top and he will look useless. But it isn't his fault, the fault lies with the coach who tried to shoe-horn him into a role he can't play.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I admire your obvious passion for Wolves, but I have to say.... thank **** you're not in charge of decisions! Nunes is our best player. I expect both to have good seasons.
Nunes is our best player, based on what?! Can’t possibly be his performances in a Wolves shirt. The guy does nothing all game then runs past a couple of players and loads of people declare him the best player in the world.

I am hoping both our Matheus’ have good seasons, but neither of them have shown much yet. Cunha has shown more, especially when he has a strike partner. The signs with him and Fabio yesterday were promising.

oldgold4ever

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
When he signed, Hobbs said Cunha possessed the profile Wolves identified. Sadly, he’s from the same goal-shy mould as all our recent strikers. Over the last 4 years, recruitment in the final third has seen a disastrous waste of serious money.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nunes is our best player, based on what?! Can’t possibly be his performances in a Wolves shirt. The guy does nothing all game then runs past a couple of players and loads of people declare him the best player in the world.

I am hoping both our Matheus’ have good seasons, but neither of them have shown much yet. Cunha has shown more, especially when he has a strike partner. The signs with him and Fabio yesterday were promising.

Based on ability.

Definitely needs to work on consistency.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks a fair player but, as yet, nothing to suggest he justifies the fee paid. Only marginally better than Hwang, for example , in my view albeit not so injury prone. Could be yet another weird fee fee paid.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Massively overpaid for me but he's not a striker. He's got to play off a forward or on the wing and allowed to float inside

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Think we overpaid for him. BUT, in the right system with the right players around him, he’ll be a really important player for us, and could be the difference between us and the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth, Everton etc.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Looks great off a striker. Will look even better when a striker like Silva makes runs to create space

Absolute no brainer to play him in number 10, and to never play him on his own
Silva aint a striker though, so we have 2 no 10,s, we really need sasa to be fit and then play cunha/ silva off him.

Back
Top Bottom