Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was thinking they had Jota and Diaz (plus Nunez, Gakpo and Salah) so was discounting them.

Only Nunez wants to play down the middle and only Salah is a creator in my eyes.

But as Brian says I don't want to think about him going anywhere, £75m minimum.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
We’re exceptionally lucky to have him (both in his ability and cultural impact) and we’re exceptionally lucky he loves Wolves like he does.

Credit to GON recognising his best talent lies away from #9, something JL was vehement he was. He’s a #10 and would get 15+ assists a season easily feeding an intelligent forward with movement.

We paid overs for him at the time and according to his current value, still overs, but I also think he’s on a trajectory to make our money back and then some.

I love him. I genuinely love him

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"I've played in Brazil vs Argentina, atlético madrid vs real madrid, and now I really want to play the black country derby" and he's dead serious.

He's a guy who wants to be The Guy, and it's so perfect for Wolves.
Early Jimenez mindset. Not play style, but he finally gets to be THE man. Lemina too.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
We paid overs for him at the time and according to his current value, still overs, but I also think he’s on a trajectory to make our money back and then some.

If correct as quoted that Chelsea want £50 million for Broja then how much must Cunha be worth in comparison?

I know who I’d prefer to be playing for us that’s for sure

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
If correct as quoted that Chelsea want £50 million for Broja then how much must Cunha be worth in comparison?

I know who I’d prefer to be playing for us that’s for sure
IMG_1698.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg

Comparison in “values”.

Chelsea taking the absolute **** with their valuation.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My big concern is that we will get an offer for him in the summer that is too good to refuse. The same applies to Neto, Kilman Gomes and RAN.
We'd be fine without Kilman and Gomes, assuming we get two big fees for them that we could reinvest. They really aren't that good.

Edit - For those who thought I was referring to João Gomes and not Toti Gomes.......really?

Last edited:

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We'd be fine without Kilman and Gomes, assuming we get two big fees for them that we could reinvest. They really aren't that good.
I think Kilman is a solid but not elite defender...but I think he's a piece, much like RAN, that gives you something unusual from the back with the ball. His (left-footed) passing range is unusually good. You can see how far forward he gets pushed up when the team are camped out with the ball. A tinkerer like O'Neil gets a lot out of him....probably more than the fee he would fetch as a not quite elite defender (imo).

Gomes is still a little raw, but his potential is extraordinary.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’re exceptionally lucky to have him (both in his ability and cultural impact) and we’re exceptionally lucky he loves Wolves like he does.

Credit to GON recognising his best talent lies away from #9, something JL was vehement he was. He’s a #10 and would get 15+ assists a season easily feeding an intelligent forward with movement.

I love him. I genuinely love him
Against Brentford he created two goals and two great chances from the same spot on the left hand side if the box. Precise no 10 territory. I think he has found his position

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Gomes is probably the best midfielder of his age in the Premier league already, it baffles me if people can't see the lad has something and hopefully will only get better.

Back to Cunha, there's no doubt we paid over the odds for him but that may have done us a favour in the long term. We won't sell him unless it's for a profit, the asking price is either gunna scare potential buyers away or we make a big fat profit... win, win.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Kilman is a solid but not elite defender...but I think he's a piece, much like RAN, that gives you something unusual from the back with the ball. His (left-footed) passing range is unusually good. You can see how far forward he gets pushed up when the team are camped out with the ball. A tinkerer like O'Neil gets a lot out of him....probably more than the fee he would fetch as a not quite elite defender (imo).

Gomes is still a little raw, but his potential is extraordinary.

I think your take on both are bang on. But I also get the take that in their current form, and in our current setup, they could be replaced without taking much away, as has been proven with other midfielders slotting in seamlessly when Gomes was missing. Also think any combination of 3 from our 4 senior centre backs would work too.

Move to a back 4, with less midfield protection, I think we miss Gomes's ball-winning ability more and Kilman's ability on the ball more.

You're right about potential too. If Gomes dropped a little weight and became more like an endurance athlete in stature, he'd could potentially get to Kante levels of ball-winning midfielder.

Last edited:

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gomes is probably the best midfielder of his age in the Premier league already, it baffles me if people can't see the lad has something and hopefully will only get better.

Back to Cunha, there's no doubt we paid over the odds for him but that may have done us a favour in the long term. We won't sell him unless it's for a profit, the asking price is either gunna scare potential buyers away or we make a big fat profit... win, win.
Think he’s worth every penny tbh.. the one thing missing was his goal involvements, but that’s changed now.

A constant threat and everything we do goes through him.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As far as midfielders who can do the same roles, Caicedo, Lavia, Onana, Sarr, Danilo, Baleba and Gilmour all same age or younger. Some are ahead of him, some behind him in my opinion.

As far as midfielders in general go, Enzo Fernandez is 26 days older, Curtis Jones is 13 days older and Dominik Szoboszlai is 3 and a half months older.

I agree he's good, but I definitely don't think he's the best midfielder of his age in the PL.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I dont see how we can have paid over the odds yet hes worth every penny and we will make a good profit on him if he goes?
Youve either made a big mistake or you have made a good deal it cant be both
I think he was overpriced when we bought him given his previous status and first half season for us. Since the start of this season his improvement in all areas has been brilliant, that's down to him and GON

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As far as midfielders who can do the same roles, Caicedo, Lavia, Onana, Sarr, Danilo, Baleba and Gilmour all same age or younger. Some are ahead of him, some behind him in my opinion.

As far as midfielders in general go, Enzo Fernandez is 26 days older, Curtis Jones is 13 days older and Dominik Szoboszlai is 3 and a half months older.

I agree he's good, but I definitely don't think he's the best midfielder of his age in the PL.
Not sure any of those have been better than Gomes this season, Curtis Jones is a different type of player imo.
Don't get me wrong he's not the finished article yet. I know as Wolves fans we often over estimate our own players but I think Gomes goes under the radar a bit. There's no doubt his performances have been helped by playing next to Lemina who has been fabulous for us.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's looking like an excellent find by Julen Lopetegui.

tenor.gif

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure any of those have been better than Gomes this season, Curtis Jones is a different type of player imo.
Don't get me wrong he's not the finished article yet. I know as Wolves fans we often over estimate our own players but I think Gomes goes under the radar a bit. There's no doubt his performances have been helped by playing next to Lemina who has been fabulous for us.

Maybe in terms of current form.

But there's a reason Caicedo was signed for a ridiculous fee by Chelsea, because he reached levels for Brighton that Gomes hasn't got anywhere near to yet.

And you're right, Lemina makes a huge difference. I remember when we signed him, Southampton fans saying he does one or two things a game that make you think he's World Class, then for the rest of the time he's awful. If anything, I haven't seen any of that yet. He must have matured a lot since his Bournemouth days, as he is so consistent, a great leader and probably my favourite player!

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe in terms of current form.

But there's a reason Caicedo was signed for a ridiculous fee by Chelsea, because he reached levels for Brighton that Gomes hasn't got anywhere near to yet.

And you're right, Lemina makes a huge difference. I remember when we signed him, Bournemouth fans saying he does one or two things a game that make you think he's World Class, then for the rest of the time he's awful. If anything, I haven't seen any of that yet. He must have matured a lot since his Bournemouth days, as he is so consistent, a great leader and probably my favourite player!
Southampton fans...

Bournemouth had Lerma ;)

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I think there's a good chance I want Gomes aged 25 over any of those players, honestly. Enzo and Caicedo in particular I think are early developers who are close to their ceiling. I don't like their athletic profiles anywhere near as much. Chelsea were absolutely bloody imbeciles paying what they did.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Incredibly cold and pretty reputation damaging for you take on Gomes.

Really strange.
I was referring to Toti Gomes? Not Joao Gomes......

My point was that Kilman and Toti (for the sake of confusion) really aren't that good and both would struggle in a 4. They've done well this season but if we got two good fees for both and reinvested it properly then we'd be absolutely fine. I'd be more concerned about losing others.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was referring to Toti Gomes? Not Joao Gomes......

My point was that Kilman and Toti (for the sake of confusion) really aren't that good and both would struggle in a 4. They've done well this season but if we got two good fees for both and reinvested it properly then we'd be absolutely fine. I'd be more concerned about losing others.
Now it makes more sense :) Still think they are both pretty decent Premier League defenders though.

Must admit, I don't get the obsession with a back four. Ok, it allows you to play an extra midfielder and in theory help you have more possession but I don't get the obsession with that either. We are playing some lovely attacking football as well as being more solid at the back playing a 5 so how will switching to a 4 improve us?

Back
Top Bottom