Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Massive in China

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Maybe the accountants give a **** about that *******s. eSports to raise profile and funds? Yup. eSports to dominate? They are having a laugh.
I'm massively into video gaming and people have been predicting eSports to explode for over a decade. It has stymied if anything, not a chance outside of a few games in a few countries (League of Legends in S. Korea for e.g) will it ever be remotely as big as conventional sports.

meeee67

Reaction score
In a way the Bhattis were the most honest ownwrs we had. They never claimed they were interested in the club only the business opportunity that would have happened if the proposed scheme had gone ahead. Once it was rejected the Bhattis were not one bit interestd but were open about that.
Fosun are an investment company and as such you would expect them to look after their investment. How they do it is unfortunately out of our hands but that does not stop and supporter being able to air their views one way or the other.
The premier league is competitive but lucrative and if Fosun claim to want to see this club competing at the top they need to invest to match that. If anyone has read the highly regarded business guru then they will know he says do not promise anything you cannot deliver.
I know which owners I prefer.. Bhattis were the lowest of the low in my opinion.. Horrible times....

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are a couple of posts below this (which are accessible clicking the above, but conscious not everyone will do this).

The figures in the bottom one give an idea of how big this is - no way would we (Wolves) get that sort of reach from any normal marketing activity and whilst he says this has no relation to transfer activity (and is correct given it sits outside of Wolves), ultimately this would all contribute to transfer funds/FFP in the long run. Why? Because.... kit manufacturers, shirt sponsors, other commercial partners will all look at their ability to get THEIR name seen by the consumers THEY want to reach by partnering with other brands that can get them this and they will pay big money for it. Man U don't get £45m PER SEASON from Teamviewer because the logo might look nice on the front of the shirt and its going to be seen by 75k at Old Trafford each week, they get £45m per season because of the fanbase/reach around the world of the Man Utd brand - Wolves are trying to bridge that gap so we can start to close the commercial void that currently exists between most and the big 6, as has been shown on other threads (the revenue one). Its THIS commercial income that will be the one that impacts Wolves and our transfer kitty of the future, as well as clearly having benefits for FOSUN.

For comparison purposes I think our ManBetX deal is supposed to be worth £8m per season.

wolves.PNG

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know which owners I prefer.. Bhattis were the lowest of the low in my opinion.. Horrible times....
I was not saying that this is a prefernce game. Of course the Bhattis were bad owners for us but they never pretended to be anything else. What you have to do is to see if what Fosun have come in and promised to do is being matched by their actions or lack of.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Let's be honest here we are all trying to second guess some fine strategic business minds in a successful billion £ international conglomerate and we're hardly qualified are we? They are pretty unlikely to broadcast in advance their commercial strategies and also unlikely to answer our questions a detailed level. They are astute business men and we are benefitting from it.

They got us into the Premiership, into Europe and have a stated desire for us to progress. These, sometimes unique, extra-curricular activities may well be designed to grow us in a less traditional model and provide us with income streams we could never imagine, or the intention all along was to get our brand to a level where they could exploit it for other means.

Two thing's for sure whatever their commercially secret plans are we, mere fans, cannot fully comprehend them, and they do not work if the football club is in the Championship bobbing along in mid-table, they don't appear to do second best.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
Then again i don't buy any of the over-priced 'merch' they try to sell us. Not when we're offering players £50k, 100K plus a week.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
E-sports is a massive deal. I am a gamer, dont really buy into the competitive gaming scene but seen enough about it to know that its here to stay and its only going to get bigger and Wolves being a part of that is the kind of forward thinking that will eventually make you money. I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with the excuses coming out for why we can't improve the football club and the stadium one minute and seeing the massive investment on the other side. The chinese team we sponsored for example. That is an industry worth billions right? So surely the investment we put in would be massive
I am not suggesting either that we couldn't do both I just think to go around penny pinching whilst also boasting about all this is not a good thing and very bad timing all round.
Additionally those who travel home and away and arent into E- Sports will just not care. Again I love gaming but I do not care about the competitive side of it one bit. I just want to live in a world where we can make these moves and also sign Botman and Sanches

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
Let's be honest here we are all trying to second guess some fine strategic business minds in a successful billion £ international conglomerate and we're hardly qualified are we? They are pretty unlikely to broadcast in advance their commercial strategies and also unlikely to answer our questions a detailed level. They are astute business men and we are benefitting from it.

They got us into the Premiership, into Europe and have a stated desire for us to progress. These, sometimes unique, extra-curricular activities may well be designed to grow us in a less traditional model and provide us with income streams we could never imagine, or the intention all along was to get our brand to a level where they could exploit it for other means.

Two thing's for sure whatever their commercially secret plans are we, mere fans, cannot fully comprehend them, and they do not work if the football club is in the Championship bobbing along in mid-table, they don't appear to do second best.
You talk a lot of sense, do you think it will ever catch on:)
I personally think Fosun are in it for the long haul albeit not as a vanity project. Covid has obviously had an impact on revenue short term.
Growing the brand/ commercial side and success on the pitch are interlinked and not mutually exclusive.
Why make millions short term when you can make billions long term.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The proof will be revealed over the coming seasons around income generated off the pitch.

bigwolf

Reaction score
You talk a lot of sense, do you think it will ever catch on:)
I personally think Fosun are in it for the long haul albeit not as a vanity project. Covid has obviously had an impact on revenue short term.
Growing the brand/ commercial side and success on the pitch are interlinked and not mutually exclusive.
Why make millions short term when you can make billions long term.

Success on the pitch is not required in the Fosun plan. Retaining PL status is but beyond that they don't need to be successful to be profitable.

Successful meaning Europe every season on this context.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What ground improvements has the shop funded? The shop wasn't open when Fosun was doing its serious spending. Sweet Jesus!!!!!
Is everything so binary with you. We lose- we’re ****, Fosun? ****! Open up a Megastore to boost image, obviously that’s ****. Get loads of Chinese fans? B’ah, what about traditional fans, so that’s ****!
Don’t understand you or people like you and glad I don’t know you.
What a downer that would put me on!

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
Success on the pitch is not required in the Fosun plan. Retaining PL status is but beyond that they don't need to be successful to be profitable.

Successful meaning Europe every season on this context.
I would have thought the more success, the more exposure, the more potential profit. Though I do agree they will not go **** or bust for short term unsustainable gains.
Just supposition on both our parts at the end of the day.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is everything so binary with you. We lose- we’re ****, Fosun? ****! Open up a Megastore to boost image, obviously that’s ****. Get loads of Chinese fans? B’ah, what about traditional fans, so that’s ****!
Don’t understand you or people like you and glad I don’t know you.
What a downer that would put me on!
Don't get all ansty. I asked a couple of questions which you did not address but you just got aggressive. Why can't you have a discussion/debate on here without it turning into a fight?

meeee67

Reaction score
I was not saying that this is a prefernce game. Of course the Bhattis were bad owners for us but they never pretended to be anything else. What you have to do is to see if what Fosun have come in and promised to do is being matched by their actions or lack of.
So the Bhattis promised to run the club into oblivion and sell the ground but luckily didn't get away with it. Or fosun promising Premier league and champions league but only giving us premier league status and the best football this generation have seen... Barring last season of course.... I know which I prefer.... Looking forward to watching a game in relative comfort or going to watch a game and standing outside the south bank with a bucket for an hour beforehand...

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
If you look at the top of those images, there is a new, awful iteration of the Wolfhead emblem.

It appears outside the Chinese mall and in the store and on merchandise.

If that replaces the current club badge I will cry.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you look at the top of those images, there is a new, awful iteration of the Wolfhead emblem.

If l was guessing l'd say that the triangular background one is for e-sports.... It is bloody crap though.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That’s a shocker.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was not saying that this is a prefernce game. Of course the Bhatti's were bad owners for us but they never pretended to be anything else. What you have to do is to see if what Fosun have come in and promised to do is being matched by their actions or lack of.
nothing personal Oldgold Wolfcub and get where you're coming from, but they pulled the dirty tricks behind the scenes to destroy the club's whole foundation. There is no place or reasoning of anything to do with the Bhatti's. I think their name should get the same treatment as a swear word does on here,

bigwolf

Reaction score
We might not understand or get it, but this is all positive for the club.

I quite like the logo on the big screen above shop FWIW

Depends how you define positive I guess.

I do wonder sometimes if we will look back in years to come when / if the wolves brand has been fully *******ized and think wow it was happening in front of our eyes and we did nothing to stop it all.

But then I think we will probably all be too busy watching games with virtual reality headsets and watching our eSports team win the digital premier league to really care.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in Shanghai back in 2019 and went along to our game vs City. On the day I popped to the megastore to take a look. It was quite a weird experience. It was in a half finished mall and the whole place, including the store was completely deserted.

Will never forget at the game itself how strange it was hearing the Chinese doing organised chants of ‘Wolves are we’.

Incredible stroke of luck for me the whole thing though. The wife and I were doing a 7/8 month trip travelling around Asia. We’d just arranged all our stops in China and all the hotels/travel and within a few days if that Wolves announced their pre season trip and that they’d be playing in Shanghai at exactly the same time we were going to be there. If only life was always like that eh?

*For ref I really loved China. Its quite a strange place in so many ways, but we had a great time. The food was incredible

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom