Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Massive in China

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s all about commercial exposure isn’t it. The more Wolves’ name and logo is seen worldwide the better.

Not so sure, the name Wolves could be used by any organisation it's only the logo that can't.
To me it's a branding exercise to promote Fosun.
No where by the logo have I seen Wolverhampton Wanderers name, lets be honest the name wolves is just a word World Wide.
Good luck to Fosun Sports Group who are the ones involved in this esport venture though.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so sure, the name Wolves could be used by any organisation it's only the logo that can't.
To me it's a branding exercise to promote Fosun.
No where by the logo have I seen Wolverhampton Wanderers name, lets be honest the name wolves is just a word World Wide.
Good luck to Fosun Sports Group who are the ones involved in this esport venture though.

You don’t need to write Apple next to the Apple logo, and any number of distinctive and recognised logos. If you look at the Twitter comments for the NBA 2K22 Announcement, there are a good number asking why Wolverhampton are associated with the game. That in itself tells you the badge is well recognised without words.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
so you were happy with morgan and moxey. carefull what you wish for.cliche,yawn
Just as with the Bhatti's you're making more stupid comparisons. The levels of success are worlds apart. Under Morgan the very best we could hope for was survival in the top flight year on year. The worst though was realised with a double relegation.

Under Fosun, most would agree we've not reached our potential and we've already been to the QF's of European competition. I can't envisage the same lows Morgan delivered either.

I feel your comparisons with previous owners are well wide of the mark. In terms of success on the pitch you'd have to go back to the 70's for a good comparison, although whoever that was sold us to the Bhatti's.

You could compare Sir Jack to Fosun and the Chinese still come out on top.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually think a lot of what Fosun are doing with regards to sponsorship and expansion of the Wolves brand is excellent

All counts for nothing if we go down though!
They don’t want to pump millions upon millions in they want to grow the brand which I think is the right way !! Just because the likes of city and Chelsea have sugar daddy’s doesn’t mean it’s the correct way , likes of villa being bankrolled will surely get boring without winning anything for the owners ….
Question is would you rather be a club with rich owners or a club who can stand on its own feet and create its own revenue ? Surely the latter holds you in good stead for many many years and if it all’s pays off we may well reap the rewards in a few years time ….

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are still in our infantry life as a 'Brand' in the world market.
This will take years if not 10 to start benefitting.. so take your seat in the new Wolves train or get off at the next station.
Success will not happen over night, there is way too many things stopping us pumping money into the without falling foul of the Footballing authorities.

I for one can live with an indifferent season or two along as there are green buds showing we are growing as a Club.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don’t need to write Apple next to the Apple logo, and any number of distinctive and recognised logos. If you look at the Twitter comments for the NBA 2K22 Announcement, there are a good number asking why Wolverhampton are associated with the game. That in itself tells you the badge is well recognised without words.

Comparing our Wolfs Head logo to Apple is a stretch of the imagination but fair do's mate.

My concern is that this new path comes under the umbrella of Fosun Sports Group, a company that was registered only in June of this year in Luxemburg.
Fosun Sports Group SARL

Do they now own Wolves or do Wolves own them or are they a completely new company who are using Wolves Intellectual Property rights viz the Logo for their branding in esports.

If they are a separate company they should be paying us to use the logo, or as I suspect being part of the Fosun group will not be.

So who now owns the IP, WWFC or Fosun Sports Group that is my concern and of course who receives any revenue from this venture.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just as with the Bhatti's you're making more stupid comparisons. The levels of success are worlds apart. Under Morgan the very best we could hope for was survival in the top flight year on year. The worst though was realised with a double relegation.

Under Fosun, most would agree we've not reached our potential and we've already been to the QF's of European competition. I can't envisage the same lows Morgan delivered either.

I feel your comparisons with previous owners are well wide of the mark. In terms of success on the pitch you'd have to go back to the 70's for a good comparison, although whoever that was sold us to the Bhatti's.

You could compare Sir Jack to Fosun and the Chinese still come out on top.
you are missing the point I think using the term be careful what you wish for is a boring cliche
and usually used by people scared of the future
I`m not advocating getting rid of fosun far from it but pointing out you may have used that phrase in the past for any
number of owners so the argument for me is not comparing any owners but the use of that stupid cliche
It was the receivers who sold wolves to the bhattis
you seem to have made a mountain out of a molehill(is that a cliche?)

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Comparing our Wolfs Head logo to Apple is a stretch of the imagination but fair do's mate.

My concern is that this new path comes under the umbrella of Fosun Sports Group, a company that was registered only in June of this year in Luxemburg.
Fosun Sports Group SARL

Do they now own Wolves or do Wolves own them or are they a completely new company who are using Wolves Intellectual Property rights viz the Logo for their branding in esports.

If they are a separate company they should be paying us to use the logo, or as I suspect being part of the Fosun group will not be.

So who now owns the IP, WWFC or Fosun Sports Group that is my concern and of course who receives any revenue from this venture.

I know we’re not exactly Apple, but it was the first example I came up with as I typed on my iPad!

It’s not really important if they pay Wolves for use of the logo or not, but I’m sure they have the appropriate permission. This is about growing the reach of the Wolves brand, both globally and across different demographics. The more well known the brand, the greater the value in sponsorship deals Wolves sign in future. Those deals flow directly into Wolves accounts. As a side benefit will be a little more sales of Wolves branded merchandise for those taken by the branding.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must have missed the bit where the Bhattis put in 200 million.

As Bill says, a yawn is in order here.
Just had to work it out, and one of those dodgy conversion tables on Google said £200m in 1986 was roughly £80.2m.
Them batty Bhattis didn't even scratch the surface.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you are missing the point I think using the term be careful what you wish for is a boring cliche
and usually used by people scared of the future
I`m not advocating getting rid of fosun far from it but pointing out you may have used that phrase in the past for any
number of owners so the argument for me is not comparing any owners but the use of that stupid cliche
It was the receivers who sold wolves to the bhattis
you seem to have made a mountain out of a molehill(is that a cliche?)
I'll be careful not to use any cliche's in the future.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“We genuinely believe with the right partners, commitment and ambition, Wolves esports has the potential to eclipse our football pillar in the future.”
Does all outside revenue from the branding go on to Wolverhampton wanderers fcs balance sheet ?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“We genuinely believe with the right partners, commitment and ambition, Wolves esports has the potential to eclipse our football pillar in the future.”

Not a suprise really as the gaming market is huge, and a lot easier to grow followers in fast.
Not necessarily a problem, allthough I'll personally find it odd, that in the future I'll meet "Wolves fans" who dont care about Wolves, the football team, but are passionate about Wolves, the counter striker team, or whatever...

Nige

Reaction score
All irrelevant if we don't start scoring some goals !! Restructuring medical team. Big in China or anywhere else takes second place to points on the board.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont understand? What can the club get from this?
****ing brand.
I think I'm old as only seems like yesturday me and me mates were pishing on weeds at the back of the southbank.
I have an idea you dont fit the demographic profile . :)

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two things to notice by the way:
1) It certainly means Fosun arent on their way out, because I'm quite sure, they wouldnt try to expand the brand this heavily, then leave.
2) The neglect of the First Teams squad is a worry. Does it mean, that they take less interest in it now, because they've less need for the "football pilar" now, with other "pillars" growing faster?

JohnMatrix

Groupie
Reaction score
Fosun seem to have some great and interesting ideas in terms of the bigger brand and growing our name. Hopefully the end of the transfer window was just a blip like the first season and doesn't affect the long term plans and we see some positive recruitment in January.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Fosun seem to have some great and interesting ideas in terms of the bigger brand and growing our name. Hopefully the end of the transfer window was just a blip like the first season and doesn't affect the long term plans and we see some positive recruitment in January.
Seems pointless doing one without the other. Needs to be doing well to grow the brand imo

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems pointless doing one without the other. Needs to be doing well to grow the brand imo
Depends..
The Wolves brand might grow just fine independent of how the football team does, if people start connecting it with other (more successful) things, such as a successful E-Sports team..
I'm also quite sure this could mean, this window wasn't just a blip, but that the football department has to continue to be self-sufficient . The question of course is how will we as fans feel, if lhe football team keeps being neglected while Fosun Sports,Group starts earning tons of money through using the Wolves brand for other adventures

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know we’re not exactly Apple, but it was the first example I came up with as I typed on my iPad!

It’s not really important if they pay Wolves for use of the logo or not, but I’m sure they have the appropriate permission. This is about growing the reach of the Wolves brand, both globally and across different demographics. The more well known the brand, the greater the value in sponsorship deals Wolves sign in future. Those deals flow directly into Wolves accounts. As a side benefit will be a little more sales of Wolves branded merchandise for those taken by the branding.

Hope you are correct.

I still have my doubts and that this is a marketing strategy for Fosun and not Wolves.

Also if Fosun ever decide to capitalise on their investment and sell Wolves that the IP rights are still owned by WWFC and not Fosun Sports Group or we will have lost our iconic Wolf head logo to the Fosun brand for their marketing purposes in other ventures.

drewsie

Groupie
Reaction score
Every positive that comes out is countered by the same criticisms by the same posters ad nauseam. It's already tiresome. I don't think there's any way back for Fosun in the eyes of some, who won't be gratified unless they hound the Chinese out. Careful what you wish for, better the devil... And all that.
Well said Bill.

sick to the back teeth of some of our lot demanding this and that and not appreciating what Fosun has already done for this football club.

Down amongst the dead men we were until they rolled in and dragged us up to where we are now.

But wait, we not allowed to live in the past. It’s all but now! Forget where we’ve come from, forget we were rotting away….again! Forget everything! “Fosun promised us the Champions League in 5 years, they sold us the dream, boo who….they’ve failed us, get em out”.

Ok, im going off on one. It’s not everyone and the majority can see and appreciate what they’re doing. Some fan reaction to This latest transfer window has really angered me. The entitlement of some has been embarrassing! We’re not that club…no way!

Fosun know what they’re doing. Trust the process. You don’t become a multi billion dollar company by luck.

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you! THEY. KNOW. WHAT. THEY ARE DOING!

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think so, Wolves eSports aren't owned by the football club
So growing the brand does nothing for Wolverhampton wanderers apart from hoping they cross over to the football side of things ? And there was me thinking it was all extra revenue streams for the club …

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So growing the brand does nothing for Wolverhampton wanderers apart from hoping they cross over to the football side of things ? And there was me thinking it was all extra revenue streams for the club …
No idea of the strategy, inner workings or the relationship between the club and Fosun Sports.

One would think the club is key being as the messaging is coming from club resources such as the website, social media etc

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not read through all this but I love Wolves for football, the Club, the history, Molineux, matchday, being a part of my life for 50+ years. This would all mean absolutely nothing to anyone in China and Asia. They see the shop and the wolf logo/brand and think it's cool and want to wear the top and the trainers and the joggers. I bet for most of these people we could be a motor racing team or a basketball side or nothing to do with sport at all. If 1% of all those who buy Wolves branded stuff over there follow us as a team I'd be surprised. The bottom line is that it is money in the coffers but how much of this will actually find it's way to fund better players or a better ground is open to question?

NOKASPLACE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
NBA2K22 is the biggest basketball game around 2K21 sold 15 million copies.
If Wolves allow you to play it in a Wolves Skin then all of a sudden when you sell sponsorships to people like man bet x it is not just exposure to 32k in a stadium and a worldwide tv audience. But also 15 million basketball fans , millions of esports fans, etc etc and they can then (justifiably from an FFP standpoint) charge the big bucks

smart from Fosun

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not read through all this but I love Wolves for football, the Club, the history, Molineux, matchday, being a part of my life for 50+ years. This would all mean absolutely nothing to anyone in China and Asia. They see the shop and the wolf logo/brand and think it's cool and want to wear the top and the trainers and the joggers. I bet for most of these people we could be a motor racing team or a basketball side or nothing to do with sport at all. If 1% of all those who buy Wolves branded stuff over there follow us as a team I'd be surprised. The bottom line is that it is money in the coffers but how much of this will actually find it's way to fund better players or a better ground is open to question?
You don’t think it already has? Sweet Jesus...!!!!!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
NBA2K22 is the biggest basketball game around 2K21 sold 15 million copies.
If Wolves allow you to play it in a Wolves Skin then all of a sudden when you sell sponsorships to people like man bet x it is not just exposure to 32k in a stadium and a worldwide tv audience. But also 15 million basketball fans , millions of esports fans, etc etc and they can then (justifiably from an FFP standpoint) charge the big bucks

smart from Fosun

Exactly. Not sure some people understand what drives sponsors like TeamViewer to pay Man Utd £235m over 5 years for shirt sponsorship. That’s just under £50m per year. By contrast, it’s reported ManBetX pay Wolves about £8m per year, which is still a record deal for us. Add in all the other sponsor and merchandising deals, and that’s why their revenue outstrips ours far beyond just the difference in tv / prize money.

Man Utd are known the world over, their shirts are sold in stores around the world and you can find kids wearing their shirts, or fake copies of them, in towns without running water or reliable electricity! It’s that reach which drives up the value of sponsorship deals, and those deals drive up their income allowing to pay silly salaries for top players. It’s not about how many shirts Utd sells (I heard they get about £5 for every genuine one sold), it’s the fact their shirts, and the sponsors on them, are on TVs around the world and are being worn by people in every corner of the world.

If eSports participation, clothing, and mega stores around the world, gets our Wolves brand broader recognition and coverage, then our sponsorship deals will rise in value, even if we don’t sell many more shirts.

Back
Top Bottom