Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Julen Lopetegui

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he said at the time he was intrigued by the project. We’re in a bit of a different place now.

I don’t think for a minute he will join us but arguably we are in a far better position now as a basis for the project to progress than we were then.

Reactions: Ian

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
What about Paulo Fonseca ex Roma and Shaktar? He was in the running to become Spurs manager before they changed direction and went for Nuno. Is currently available and has decent CV. Doesn’t stay anywhere long but has experience.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui will not want to be told how to tie his shoelaces by the likes of Scott Sellars, same as any self respecting ambitious manager. For any manager taking the interview I recommend lots of coffee/caffeine to ensure they at least stay awake when Sellars explains Shi’s road map.
Lopetegui is a head coach not a manager. With the possible exception of the Spanish national job he has worked with that model his whole career.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What if last summer Bruno was actually just viewed as a place holder for a season until Fosun's first choice became available this summer.

Nuno wanted out so Mendes replaced with someone cheap but similar ability who would be happy with no huge backing and continue Nuno's work for a season that with the returns from injury would see us return to the top half. Talk of Fosun willing to spend next summer but is that because they have their original primary target to replace Nuno now available?

It doesn't actually sound that far fetched of a possibility.
Feasible.... and he is a Mendes client l believe.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As long as Fosun are running the show, our next manager will be a relatively unknown Portuguese guy who has had at least one decent season under his belt in the Primiera Liga and already out of work. That would rule out any manager we REALLY want.

They would be expected to mould the current crop of players, be low paid, and be given little transfer support. So if we really want to see what manager would be next in charge at Molineux, its best to check who is out of work in Portugal right now.
Alas, this is the reality.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a virtuous cycle .
Good club atttacts good manager attracts good players.
Working under Shi and Sellars , won’t rock anyones boat.
Replacing those would be step one, if the project is to be rebooted.
So watch that space if we are to have real change.

The thing you have to consider is...Guo ay gonna sack Jeff to replace him with a non Chinese chairman.And another Chinese person ay gonna have the experience.Shi needs to get his trouser pockets shortened.His arms ay long enough to reach the bottom of the ones he now wears. :tonguewink:

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
was going to sign for us but Spain offered him a job so unsurprisingly he took it. Was sacked when he agreed to take real Madrid job
Had poor results at Real Madrid and didn’t last long, but done well at Sevilla his win rate is 55.7%

i could see him taking a top half PL job, if offered.
And I am not convinced that one of the PL “top 6”would want him so that leaves him potentially moving to a WHU, Everton, Villa, Leeds, Newcastl,Southampton…..Wolves type club??????

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's face it Lage was a cheap option for the club with little experience at management who now fits the Fosun's model. Lopetegui is in a totally different league . I can't see it happening now with the philosophy at the club unfortunately.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Will probably get pelters for this but been thinking this morning about the news Lopetegui is set to leave Sevilla and here are my rather hopeful conclusions….

1. Lopetegui saw us as an attractive project in the champ so why not now?
2. Fosun have kept in dialect with Lopetegui throughout their time here as he was always their first choice.
3. Fosun knew of Lopetegui’s intentions to leave this summer well in advance so Bruno was always a stop gap appointment.
4. For that reason Fosun refused to back Bruno in both windows.
5. The intention has always been for Bruno to keep us established in the Prem this season and for Lopetegui to come in this summer.
6. Fosun will now push on and back Lopetegui.
7. Could be why we have been linked with Ocampos?….
8. Maybe Bruno knows hence throwing players under the bus and bust ups etc?…

Anyway, maybe over active imagination but Fosun are ruthless and won’t care about putting Bruno’s nose out of joint if it meant their project and ultimate goal is reached.

Either way I think we’re in for an interesting summer.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
And I am not convinced that one of the PL “top 6”would want him so that leaves him potentially moving to a WHU, Everton, Villa, Leeds, Newcastl,Southampton…..Wolves type club??????
Yep maybe not leeds or Southampton but defo wolves whu Leicester kind of level

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Howe has more than earned a crack at next season with the Geordies

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For arguments sake let’s just say it is already a done deal.

How do we feel about Rafa Benitez as our new manager?

Will probably get pelters for this but been thinking this morning about the news Lopetegui is set to leave Sevilla and here are my rather hopeful conclusions….

2. Fosun have kept in dialect with Lopetegui throughout their time here as he was always their first choice.
3. Fosun knew of Lopetegui’s intentions to leave this summer well in advance so Bruno was always a stop gap appointment.
5. The intention has always been for Bruno to keep us established in the Prem this season and for Lopetegui to come in this summer.

Anyway, maybe over active imagination but Fosun are ruthless and won’t care about putting Bruno’s nose out of joint if it meant their project and ultimate goal is reached.

ITK ?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And how would we entice him here? The money has dried up and so has the ambition. He's at a UCL club, we'd have to be willing to offer him a big transfer budget to persuade him to come.
He didn't have a vast budget at Sevilla. Lots of wheeling and dealing.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn't have a vast budget at Sevilla. Lots of wheeling and dealing.
Yes but they're top 4 and will be in the Champions League yet again. While we will likely finish midtable with little spending in the Summer. I know which club I'd rather be at as a Coach. The point is that without a big budget on offer, you're not going to attract a top coach from the continent who is already employed.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing you have to consider is...Guo ay gonna sack Jeff to replace him with a non Chinese chairman.And another Chinese person ay gonna have the experience.Shi needs to get his trouser pockets shortened.His arms ay long enough to reach the bottom of the ones he now wears. :tonguewink:
Just a reboot .

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui is a head coach not a manager. With the possible exception of the Spanish national job he has worked with that model his whole career.
The difference being Lopetegui has worked with arguably one of the best DoF’s in world football at Sevilla in Monchi who always gets the recruitment side spot on

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have 4 matches left to play. 3 against the top 3 in the table and 1 against a relegated club.

If results and performances are anything like our last 3 and a half games Bruno will be gone.

If Lopetegui is leaving Sevilla he would be a great choice imo. Definitely the best available.

Redrockwanderer

Reaction score

Think there could be some actual truth in there… time will tell! I think Fosun will be backing us more than people think.

We haven’t had any for a while due to the FFP breach… people have clearly forgotten this…

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

ya shouldn't get pelters for that mate.Totally agree by me anyway.I was always a supporter of Bruno,but things have gone pear shaped since january.Where we had a great month winning all 4 games.What the **** has happened since only God knows.I don't have much sympathy for managers getting the sack.They are paid a good wage,get paid compensation when sacked,And can walk straight into another job.Well most can.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Basically the rules are changing but gradually over the next three seasons so this summer is our best chance to invest.

Does that involve the top 6 as well.Or is it a way of keeping them safe from the wolves. :tonguewink:

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dont!
Wayne Rooney’s Wolves? No thanks
Sean Dyche’s Wolves? Better than above and below
Frank Lampard’s Wolves? No thanks

It will be ‘Out of work in Portugal and from Mendes’stable Wolves’.
Yes, Mendes, the tail that wags the wolf.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but they're top 4 and will be in the Champions League yet again. While we will likely finish midtable with little spending in the Summer. I know which club I'd rather be at as a Coach. The point is that without a big budget on offer, you're not going to attract a top coach from the continent who is already employed.

Why is he leaving them then ?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Surely if he’s leaving Sevilla, it’s because he has one of the big clubs lined up? They’ve won the Europa League under him and are about to qualify for the Champions League again (despite tailing off in the second half of the season).

PSG? Or possibly Spurs if Conte goes to Paris?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And how would we entice him here? The money has dried up and so has the ambition. He's at a UCL club, we'd have to be willing to offer him a big transfer budget to persuade him to come.
Don't think it'd be that ridiculous to be honest. I'm sure when he went to Sevilla they had a massive overhaul of players, something like fourteen new players in, loads out, Lopetegui came in, got them to gel and won the Europa League with them (if I remember right). Highly possible we're going to have a massive overhaul in the summer, it's needed, and as long as we're re-investing the money we're raising (no reason to think we wouldn't) we'd be offering him a similar job to the one he took on at Sevilla, just in England and a lot of top managers would jump at the chance to come to the PL with an almost blank canvas

Though saying that, I'm sure he'd see us as little more than a stepping stone if given the chance

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about Paulo Fonseca ex Roma and Shaktar? He was in the running to become Spurs manager before they changed direction and went for Nuno. Is currently available and has decent CV. Doesn’t stay anywhere long but has experience.
I was about to suggest this, but then I read your post. The inference, on reading up on him, is that he is defence minded. Not a bad thing as long as he has some attacking ideas as well!

Back
Top Bottom