Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Julen Lopetegui

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was about to suggest this, but then I read your post. The inference, on reading up on him, is that he is defence minded. Not a bad thing as long as he has some attacking ideas as well!
I read the exact opposite. That he was an attacking coach, but we’ve got one of them as we were assured last summer.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui is a head coach not a manager. With the possible exception of the Spanish national job he has worked with that model his whole career.

Only difference there is he's working with Monchi

Who has a very good track record as a DoF

Compared to Sellars who has a criminal record and that's about it.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was about to suggest this, but then I read your post. The inference, on reading up on him, is that he is defence minded. Not a bad thing as long as he has some attacking ideas as well!
145 goals in 75 Serie A games at Roma, I'd take that kind of defensive mentality! Also 90 goals scored in a season as Braga manager (all comps)

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think most top foreign managers who are happy to manage away from their normal domicile would want to try out at least one stint in the Premier League.
So from Lopetegui’s point of view, how will he achieve this? Think Wolves could well still be a good fit for him with the opportunity to take a club to the next level by getting into UCL rather than say Spurs where you’re always going to be compared to what Poch achieved so deemed less successful unless you quickly win a major trophy.

Last edited:

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think most top foreign managers who are happy to manage away from their normal domicile would want to try out at least one stint in the Premier League.
So from Loptegui’s point of view, how will he achieve this? Think Wolves could well still be a good fit for him.
All depends on how much Fosun are willing to pay, and how much he is allowed to spend.

Given that Bruno is the lowest paid and was given no money, then I doubt this will happen.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Lopetegui is unlikely, but with Fosun and him having Mendes as his agent you can never say never.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's the chance to manage in the Premier League that is the big pull rather than the club. That's why for however big Rangers and Celtic fans think their clubs are, their managers will more than likely move to a mid-table Premier League club. It's the chance to compete against Klopp one week, Guardiola the next, then Conte, etc.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So from Loptegui’s point of view, how will he achieve this? Think Wolves could well still be a good fit for him.
It a nice to dream, and I am guilty of that, but I don’t actually think I have seen anything which states that he is actually leaving Sevilla

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If reports of strife in the players' ranks are accurate, I can't imagine any worthwhile manager wanting to take over at Molineux.
Further to that, which of the players worth keeping will want to stay if the cause(s) of the problems are set to remain? I think the stables need cleaning out before a new manager can be installed. Jota must be in his seventh heaven and watching him from here, Neves must be itching to do similar. It all looks quite bleak to me at present.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It a nice to dream, and I am guilty of that, but I don’t actually think I have seen anything which states that he is actually leaving Sevilla
A Spanish Journalist followed by Fabrizio has commented that he thinks Lopetegui will leave Sevilla this summer

"Julen Lopetegui has a contract until 2024 with @SevillaFC I am convinced that he will leave at the end of the season. For one reason: your cycle is over. If the team qualifies for the Champions League, it will leave with honors. He knows. No one wants to prolong this agony. I open discussion."

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of these post assume that Fosun have A) a long term strategy for development B) are aware that Lage would not be a hit this season and therefore would be easily replaced.

It seems as if the former is not true and the second was very close to being disproved: Wolves have been very close to Europe this season and if we qualified then do you really get rid of the manager, plan in place or not?

I don’t think so.

Therefore sorry to say it, but us not backing Lage is not some kind of four dimensional chess strategy by our owners where we suddenly get Shankly back from cryogenic storage and he transforms the club and the city.

No. It is short-term thinking with no discernible plan for team development or how to make the team that 1%-2% better on the pitch that makes the difference at this level.

I’m afraid that anybody thinking that our board have all of this planned out and we’re going to be in for a revolution in the summer like when Nuno arrived are going to be sadly disappointed. Or just sad. Sorry

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui was Fosuns choice when they took over
They would probably still love to get him here
Would he come here now? I think so,still a PL project,but so much depends on where Fosuns ambitions lie at this point
Will they spend the cash to refresh the squad?
Will they give the next manager more of a free reign?
Are they still enthusiastic enough to care?
We dont know the answers to any of these questions,and any decent manager coming next will need cast iron conviction that the project is still alive to take the plunge
Plus i guess the main point is have they had enough of Bruno to ditch him?

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A Spanish Journalist followed by Fabrizio has commented that he thinks Lopetegui will leave Sevilla this summer

"Julen Lopetegui has a contract until 2024 with @SevillaFC I am convinced that he will leave at the end of the season. For one reason: your cycle is over. If the team qualifies for the Champions League, it will leave with honors. He knows. No one wants to prolong this agony. I open discussion."
Blimey, qualifying for the Champions League leaves you with agony?

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey, qualifying for the Champions League leaves you with agony?
Their form in the second half of the season has been really poor despite still lying in 3rd place, only 4 wins in their last 14 league games.

The fan's patience with Lopetegui appears to be wearing thin, they're not happy with his defensive smash & grab tactics and believe he has the players underperforming considering the quality their team possesses. Sounds somewhat familiar to what we've experienced both at the end of Nuno's tenure and under Bruno for part of this season as well.

I think the point is that they think he's reached his peak at Sevilla and the team needs a refresh & a new cycle, he should leave on the high of qualifying for UCL again this season before it starts to turn even more stale next year.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
I think it's the chance to manage in the Premier League that is the big pull rather than the club. That's why for however big Rangers and Celtic fans think their clubs are, their managers will more than likely move to a mid-table Premier League club. It's the chance to compete against Klopp one week, Guardiola the next, then Conte, etc.
As an Australian I’d love big Ange here. I know he can rub people the wrong way but he’d get us playing the right way if he was given the patience that approach would take. Socceroos have not been the same since he left although that also involves a few other factors. But at club level he’s had success wherever he’s been. Brisbane he won back to back titles and then I think he even won in Melbourne. Think he won the J-league also after coming in and transforming an also ran into champion. And now at Celtic look at what he’s done there in his highest profile job yet.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any new manager needs to be comfortable working with new players who are 18-23 as we do not buy fully oven ready players. Our model is to develop players, increase their value and resell with a couple of exceptions so for every Raul you get a couple of players in the age range of Fabio, Cutrone etc. Semedo you get RAN. Similarly, they are expected to look at the U23 set up and bring players on. I’m comfortable with that and it is the long term plan.

What it means though is that the manager needs to be comfortable with that, Lopetgui is comfortable with that; Nuno was and so was/is Bruno. We were supposed to be monitoring the Rennes coach last month who has also worked in China. Not all managers will be comfortable with our model and they will want experienced players who don’t need massive coaching. They won’t be employed by Wolves.

Fosun have proven themselves ruthless in the past and I am sure they will be in the future, they do have a plan and will stick to it, whether you agree with it or not is a different matter. I think the sacking of first Lambert and then Nuno and the subsequent season will have reassured them that they make the right decisions and therefore there will be little sentimentality with Bruno.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me.....much more likely is ..

Ruben Amorim - Sporting Lisbon
Pedro Martins- Olympiakos
Paulo Fonseca- No club.
Ideally but slightly out of our depth is Sergio Conceicao- Porto...

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a vague feeling that Shi will panic with the next appt and be seduced by celebrity.
I feel sick typing it but - sooner rather than later - we may be known as Wayne Rooney's Wolves

I think you might be right, but more likely to be a Benitez or a Mourinho!!! Whether that would be a good thing or not, I’m not sure.

Reaction score
Interesting to read some feel we aren't an attractive proposition now, but were in the championship/promotion season. You'd think a team that's won the championship, has two top 7 finishes and likely 8th in 4 seasons in the premier league, a European quarter final and FA cup semi final in that time, has shown it can compete at that level would be more attractive?
Agree with what you’re getting at here.. from the outside looking in we’re still doing really well for a club our size! It’s only our own fans that don’t see it that way.
Mostly it’s down to how gutted we all are about how close we came to Europe and a slight overreaction on that basis but now the recent performances are compounding this feeling

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of these post assume that Fosun have A) a long term strategy for development B) are aware that Lage would not be a hit this season and therefore would be easily replaced.

It seems as if the former is not true and the second was very close to being disproved: Wolves have been very close to Europe this season and if we qualified then do you really get rid of the manager, plan in place or not?

I don’t think so.

Therefore sorry to say it, but us not backing Lage is not some kind of four dimensional chess strategy by our owners where we suddenly get Shankly back from cryogenic storage and he transforms the club and the city.

No. It is short-term thinking with no discernible plan for team development or how to make the team that 1%-2% better on the pitch that makes the difference at this level.

I’m afraid that anybody thinking that our board have all of this planned out and we’re going to be in for a revolution in the summer like when Nuno arrived are going to be sadly disappointed. Or just sad. Sorry
I think the over promoted Sellars Moxey like remarks about prudence and how he won't allow the club to get into debt indicates the balance sheet is more important than league position.

Although I've argued elsewhere that Bruno can't really be held accountable for having to manage Nuno's defensive minded team, the fact that he hasn't been able to implement his way of playing nor shown much sign of developing and blooding any players as he did at Benfica is a tad worrying. It seems yet again the performances on the pitch of late are matching the apathy and lack of intent off it.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their form in the second half of the season has been really poor despite still lying in 3rd place, only 4 wins in their last 14 league games.

The fan's patience with Lopetegui appears to be wearing thin, they're not happy with his defensive smash & grab tactics and believe he has the players underperforming considering the quality their team possesses. Sounds somewhat familiar to what we've experienced both at the end of Nuno's tenure and under Bruno for part of this season as well.

I think the point is that they think he's reached his peak at Sevilla and the team needs a refresh & a new cycle, he should leave on the high of qualifying for UCL again this season before it starts to turn even more stale next year.

Fit in very well then

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Under the current Fosun constraints (sell to buy)

That will rule out many good managers, unfortunately.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was nuno on something like 3 to 3.5 mill a year . If Bruno works for peanuts he must be mad.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I heard he didn’t like the food and wine and was fed up with the great weather and exotic women. Just no pleasing some.

He's after some good owd black country nosh ay he.

Grey paes and bacon bits.
Faggots and paes.
:p

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was nuno on something like 3 to 3.5 mill a year . If Bruno works for peanuts he must be mad.
Think he'd signed a deal for about £6m a year at the start of his final season. It was pretty widely reported he had a year left, was on around £60k (since promotion) and doubled his wages

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me.....much more likely is ..

Ruben Amorim - Sporting Lisbon
Pedro Martins- Olympiakos
Paulo Fonseca- No club.
Ideally but slightly out of our depth is Sergio Conceicao- Porto...
No chance of Amorim - Sporting paid Braga €14.4m to poach him making him the 2nd most expensive manager ever.

He has a €30m release clause currently at Sporting & his contract isn't up till summer 2024 so they won't be letting him go on the cheap.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
then Lage etc

Back
Top Bottom