Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Julen Lopetegui

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's be honest, he doesn't have the best record in terms of how he treats clubs. I don't want that sort of personality around the club.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watch Real Betis in Spain, which also is in Sevilla. It is true that Lopetegui was good with the Spanish youth teams, but he has never taken a club team to the next level. He has won plenty of matches at Sevilla, but they are where they always are, he hasn't taken them to the next level. He has won the Europa League with Sevilla, but it almost belongs to them.
I would prefer Manuel Pellegrini, the manager of Real Betis. He has just won the Copa del Rey in Spain, the first trophy for Betis in 17 years. He has also got Betis fighting for a Champions league place, which for Betis, is really unimaginable. Betis look like getting their highest league position I'm many years. Pellegrini did the same with Villarreal, Malaga etc. It is true it didn't work out at West Ham, but of course he won the Premier League with Man City.
I know he is getting on, but what he has done at Betis and getting a 2nd place in la Liga with Villareal, I think gives him better credentials than Lopetegui, who failed at Real Madrid and has only done with Sevilla, what others have done before. I think Pellegrini would do a good job at Wolves.
I would definitely prefer Pellegrini for Wolves than Lopetegui, who has never managed in the UK and importantly, never taken a lower or mid table team and improved them to get them to the next level.

I want Bruno to stay and think he has done well to get us to 8th, eventhough the last month has been very disappointing. The squad obviously needs strengthening and would like Bruno to put his own identity on the team.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member (smith)

Give Bruno a chance …we are 8th not 18th…..we can speculate but there are no obvious available upgrades that I am aware of…

D

Deleted member (smith)

Pellegrini went to Villarreal, Malaga and now Betis, without spending big money. He took all 3 to the next level.
I agree with you it is critical to have a vision and plan before making change …( .I feel sure Fosun will) a knee jerk reaction is a bad loss at home ( say 1-5 to the Albion) and although not in the drop zone, fire the manager because of humiliation and anger and appoint clipboard. 13 games later with no wins get relegated…now those were clowns.please learn.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
... and was absolutely diabolical at West Ham.
Agree with the West Ham part, but took Malaga in to the Champions League for the only time in their history. Got a second for Villarreal n la Liga, for the only time in their history and won the first trophy in 17 years at Betis and got them fighting for a Champions League spot. All those clubs he has taken to the next level.
My post, was just saying, we keep on about Lopetegui, but he has never done anything in Club football, to take a club to the next level, which is what we need.
As I pointed out though, I want Bruno to stay and be backed with some new signings.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with the West Ham part, but took Malaga in to the Champions League for the only time in their history. Got a second i for Villarreal n la Liga, for the only time in their history and won the first trophy in 17 years at Betis and got them fighting for a Champions League spot. All those clubs he has taken to the next level.
My post, was just saying, we keep on about Lopetegui, but he has never done anything in Club football, to take a club to the next level, which is what we need.
As I pointed out though, I want Bruno to stay and be backed with some new signings.
I agree that Pellegrini has a good track record in Spain. Quite a few foreign managers have come into English football with such a track record and, for whatever reason, failed. It would be a brave PL board to risk Pellegrini again.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can just imagine the phone call.

Jeff: Hello again, Julen! Long time no speak. We would love for you to come and manage Wolves.
Lopetegui: I'm tempted - what do you have to offer?
Jeff: How does competing for European qualification on a negative net spend sound?
*dial tone*
Jeff: Hello? Hello!

superwolves

Reaction score
You can just imagine the phone call.

Jeff: Hello again, Julen! Long time no speak. We would love for you to come and manage Wolves.
Lopetegui: I'm tempted - what do you have to offer?
Jeff: How does competing for European qualification on a negative net spend sound?
*dial tone*
Jeff: Hello? Hello!
You've got 16 players to work with if you want a new player you've got to sell all your best ones to generate the funds I'm sure the queue for the job would be the length of the Waterloo road

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Granted things have changed but with the rumours of Fosun spending in the summer will they try and get a higher level coach to go with that?

What rumours of spending?

Not heard this, so interested

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn't matter who's managing the team, if he's chucked under the bus like Bruno has been he's got no chance of succeeding.

Exactly. Two windows in a row he came out very publicly begging for signings and in both cases got ignored. Some managers, Conte for example, would have walked given that situation.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cornwall wolf has contacts in the game and said he heard alot of positives regarding our summer spend
Stands to reason. There’s a few signs that back that up.
Last summer‘s window Wolves tried to get new players but it didn’t happen but the money was available…….so it’s there, waiting to be used.
Both Jeff and Bruno have said, separately that if the right player, at the right money, is available thry would try to sign them.
And Bruno has also said that he, Jeff etc. have a list of players they would like.

After this and last season’s less than stellar performances, I think/hope that Jeff and Guo realize that we need an extra ‘lift’ to get us up a notch, quality wise. Maybe another loan?……..from a bank or Fosun.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yes, but from the club it's still sell to buy. From Percy and a couple of ITK posters on here they are going to spend big in the summer.
Big depends on your definition. It could be 2 bags of suck not one...
Think they have probably already lined up Neves sale and are in process of reinvesting it. Only hope we have to totally revamp squad without a loan from Fosun

L78

Reaction score
Let's be honest, he doesn't have the best record in terms of how he treats clubs. I don't want that sort of personality around the club.
Probably use us as a stepping stone to one of the big prem clubs

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think they have probably already lined up Neves sale and are in process of reinvesting it. Only hope we have to totally revamp squad without a loan from Fosun
I don’t know about that.

Last summer was laughable the way it ended but it did point to us having perhaps £25m or so left to spend that we failed to get across the line. That would have been a net spend of £20m odd.

There’s no reason to believe we couldn’t have a similar net spend again this season and that last summers £25m isn’t available still too. So that’d be £45m or so plus sales to play with.

Don’t get me wrong a Neves sale would completely change the budget but we shouldn’t be that hard up. If we are I don’t really understand why considering our spending has generally been considered careful for a few seasons now. A careful club will PL money shouldn’t be penniless.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I don’t know about that.

Last summer was laughable the way it ended but it did point to us having perhaps £25m or so left to spend that we failed to get across the line. That would have been a net spend of £20m odd.

There’s no reason to believe we couldn’t have a similar net spend again this season and that last summers £25m isn’t available still too. So that’d be £45m or so plus sales to play with.

Don’t get me wrong a Neves sale would completely change the budget but we shouldn’t be that hard up. If we are I don’t really understand why considering our spending has generally been considered careful for a few seasons now. A careful club will PL money shouldn’t be penniless.
I mean it is like every Prem club. Wages eat nearly 75% revenue off the bat

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean it is like every Prem club. Wages eat nearly 75% revenue off the bat
Yeah I know, but it shouldn’t leave us with nothing to spend, it doesn’t leave other clubs with nothing to spend.

£20m net spend from £170m odd turnover should be possible even with £130m wage bill.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yeah I know, but it shouldn’t leave us with nothing to spend, it doesn’t leave other clubs with nothing to spend.

£20m net spend from £170m odd turnover should be possible even with £130m wage bill.
Yeah agreed, problem is we owe net a lot on transfers still. People wobble on about that Jota fee being spread but we do it more than other clubs do to us

L78

Reaction score
That means he does really well, what's wrong with that?
We got no chance of getting him anyway I think he has a choice of some bigger clubs before looking at us. Look at how much fosun are paying bruno we would have to sell a couple of players to afford Julen Lopetegui I suppose we can dream

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah agreed, problem is we owe net a lot on transfers still. People wobble on about that Jota fee being spread but we do it more than other clubs do to us
Yeah but I suppose that’s to be expected because despite the noises around our lack of transfer spend we’ve still spent way more than we’ve sold for in the past 3 of 4 seasons.

You’d expect that net liability to drop a bit in the next season or so because we’d presumably have paid a fair chunk of the 2018 and 2019 summer transfer balances by this summer.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yeah but I suppose that’s to be expected because despite the noises around our lack of transfer spend we’ve still spent way more than we’ve sold for in the past 3 of 4 seasons.

You’d expect that net liability to drop a bit in the next season or so because we’d presumably have paid a fair chunk of the 2018 and 2019 summer transfer balances by this summer.
Yeah you'd hope so for sure, depends on Fabio and Semedo structures I suppose but hopefully Jota will balance it out.

The £5M a year in interest payments really hurts. That is a £100k a week player

L78

Reaction score
I think we missed the boat with Julen Lopetegui when he was first choice to start the project now it looks more like the X FILES

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah you'd hope so for sure, depends on Fabio and Semedo structures I suppose but hopefully Jota will balance it out.

The £5M a year in interest payments really hurts. That is a £100k a week player
Just had a quick look and our spend was £320m in the past 4 seasons weighted towards the start of that period, our liabilities to other clubs was £69m at last summer.

Our sales were £140m in the same period weighted towards the more recent windows and we were owed £64m so actually we owe comparatively less than we are owed when you consider the value the squad has.

Interest payments aren’t ideal but then we don’t know the ins and outs of the cashflow and perhaps having the money available benefits us in other ways.

Talk at the time was that Liverpool paid £43m for Jota over 5 years instead of £35m with the bulk being up front. So whilst we’re paying interest now on the loan we’ve had against it we’ve likely made more out of it overall.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How well does Monchi know the Premier League? Some obvious exceptions but history says there’s is loads of foreign DOF’s who have come to England and failed badly.
Lots of people don’t do well in their jobs.
That in no way means the job doesn’t need filling.by someone who can do it well .

Last edited:

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
He’d fall out with the board as soon as they didn’t sanction massive signings. I wouldn’t be against him coming but, like any manager coming in, would need a war chest to freshen up much needed areas.
and would probably spend loads on Rondon before anyone else...

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Just had a quick look and our spend was £320m in the past 4 seasons weighted towards the start of that period, our liabilities to other clubs was £69m at last summer.

Our sales were £140m in the same period weighted towards the more recent windows and we were owed £64m so actually we owe comparatively less than we are owed when you consider the value the squad has.

Interest payments aren’t ideal but then we don’t know the ins and outs of the cashflow and perhaps having the money available benefits us in other ways.

Talk at the time was that Liverpool paid £43m for Jota over 5 years instead of £35m with the bulk being up front. So whilst we’re paying interest now on the loan we’ve had against it we’ve likely made more out of it overall.
Where are you getting those numbers? Not what experts have said.
The loan vs Jota payment spread isn't really relevant that is just how we secured it. It is a cash flow loan

Back
Top Bottom