Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Julen Lopetegui

R

reanswolf

Good manager, not available and probably wouldn't now consider us.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd love him at Molineux but don't think he would be interested sadly.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As long as Fosun are running the show, our next manager will be a relatively unknown Portuguese guy who has had at least one decent season under his belt in the Primiera Liga and already out of work. That would rule out any manager we REALLY want.

They would be expected to mould the current crop of players, be low paid, and be given little transfer support. So if we really want to see what manager would be next in charge at Molineux, its best to check who is out of work in Portugal right now.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have a vague feeling that Shi will panic with the next appt and be seduced by celebrity.
I feel sick typing it but - sooner rather than later - we may be known as Wayne Rooney's Wolves

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a vague feeling that Shi will panic with the next appt and be seduced by celebrity.
I feel sick typing it but - sooner rather than later - we may be known as Wayne Rooney's Wolves
Dont!
Wayne Rooney’s Wolves? No thanks
Sean Dyche’s Wolves? Better than above and below
Frank Lampard’s Wolves? No thanks

It will be ‘Out of work in Portugal and from Mendes’stable Wolves’.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think our and Lopetegui’s respective profiles have gone in different directions recently. We don’t seem as an exciting project as when he was first approached; at which point Lopetegui’s stock was not nearly as high as it is now.
I guess if there were no exciting top level opportunities available (Man Utd have their next manager already for example) then we may have a slim chance. That still seems highly unlikely though imo.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Lopetegui or anyone of that calibre would only come if they had guarantees over transfer budget and control of signings. Fosun can’t/won’t do that. Our best chance at the minute (as much as he’s not Mr Popular right now) is a coach like Bruno who has potential and can hopefully develop into a good manager. Even Nuno was relatively unproven when we brought him in. We’re not gonna go and get an elite level manager.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter who we get in - without more athleticism in the team he will take a look, try a few things and then resort to scrapping for wins by the odd goal here and there.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui or anyone of that calibre would only come if they had guarantees over transfer budget and control of signings. Fosun can’t/won’t do that. Our best chance at the minute (as much as he’s not Mr Popular right now) is a coach like Bruno who has potential and can hopefully develop into a good manager. Even Nuno was relatively unproven when we brought him in. We’re not gonna go and get an elite level manager.
Lopetegui did originally agree to join us though so he must have been happy with what was on offer. Granted things have changed but with the rumours of Fosun spending in the summer will they try and get a higher level coach to go with that?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Lopetegui did originally agree to join us though so he must have been happy with what was on offer. Granted things have changed but with the rumours of Fosun spending in the summer will they try and get a higher level coach to go with that?
I think he said at the time he was intrigued by the project. We’re in a bit of a different place now.

Maybe Fosun will surprise us and go big in the summer but I’m not counting on it.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he said at the time he was intrigued by the project. We’re in a bit of a different place now.

Maybe Fosun will surprise us and go big in the summer but I’m not counting on it.
This. We are not a project anymore. Any new man would be expected to work under the same circumstances Bruno, and the last 18 months Nuno had.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a virtuous cycle .
Good club atttacts good manager attracts good players.
Working under Shi and Sellars , won’t rock anyones boat.
Replacing those would be step one, if the project is to be rebooted.
So watch that space if we are to have real change.

Last edited:

fleck1

Reaction score
Interesting to read some feel we aren't an attractive proposition now, but were in the championship/promotion season. You'd think a team that's won the championship, has two top 7 finishes and likely 8th in 4 seasons in the premier league, a European quarter final and FA cup semi final in that time, has shown it can compete at that level would be more attractive?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For arguments sake let’s just say it is already a done deal.

How do we feel about Rafa Benitez as our new manager?
He’d fall out with the board as soon as they didn’t sanction massive signings. I wouldn’t be against him coming but, like any manager coming in, would need a war chest to freshen up much needed areas.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting to read some feel we aren't an attractive proposition now, but were in the championship/promotion season. You'd think a team that's won the championship, has two top 7 finishes and likely 8th in 4 seasons in the premier league, a European quarter final and FA cup semi final in that time, has shown it can compete at that level would be more attractive?
Agree - apart from the very elite CL managers I think we’d be very attractive to the next names who want to get to England.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Same as Ned says, I wouldnt want him purely because he wouldnt get any big money signings that he would (rightly) want. He would leave after a couple of months due to that.

If we did have some miraculous war chest on offer, then it might be different.

if I was totally honest, and asked to pick a new manager (within reason as Klopp and Pep are busy!), it would be Lopetegui. But absolutely no chance now unless Fosun suddenly step up massively. And that wont happen sadly.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
was going to sign for us but Spain offered him a job so unsurprisingly he took it. Was sacked when he agreed to take real Madrid job
Had poor results at Real Madrid and didn’t last long, but done well at Sevilla his win rate is 55.7%

i could see him taking a top half PL job, if offered.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui would be perfect for us. That’s our model. Basically - replicate Sevilla in England
Absolutely. I was excited about him before he got the Spain job. And even during the successful Nuno era, I often thought there are only 2 ‘realistic’ managers we could attract if Fosun genuinely want to push us more into a consistent top 6 side. And that was Lopetegui, and Thomas Tuchel (who at the time had no club).

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I too would like to swap 30 degrees, blue skies, orange groves and the Champions League for the Wolves. (Well actually I would, but no way JL would).

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Still a bit torn on the Bruno situation personally, but if he was keen then we’d need to be ruthless and get him in.

I think he’d be the natural step up for us but he’d need to build his own squad.

Regardless of what happens in the manager position, we need to make changes to the squad, specifically the first 11.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What if last summer Bruno was actually just viewed as a place holder for a season until Fosun's first choice became available this summer.

Nuno wanted out so Mendes replaced with someone cheap but similar ability who would be happy with no huge backing and continue Nuno's work for a season that with the returns from injury would see us return to the top half. Talk of Fosun willing to spend next summer but is that because they have their original primary target to replace Nuno now available?

It doesn't actually sound that far fetched of a possibility.

Reaction score
Unfortunately fosun were interested back when they thought they were going to take over the world with wolves, they now realise the amount of money it will take to do that and are now happy with cheaper yes men and mid table mediocrity to keep earning money via the mendes carousel.
It's a simple but effective business model.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui will not want to be told how to tie his shoelaces by the likes of Scott Sellars, same as any self respecting ambitious manager. For any manager taking the interview I recommend lots of coffee/caffeine to ensure they at least stay awake when Sellars explains Shi’s road map.

fleck1

Reaction score
Agree - apart from the very elite CL managers I think we’d be very attractive to the next names who want to get to England.
I agree we've shown we can compete at the top end of the toughest league in the world, I think knowing we have connections that can access players we shouldn't through Jorge makes us more attractive.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well past his prime. Nothing ever his fault.... and can you are Fosun appointing someone who consistently criticises owners??? A definite no!

Back
Top Bottom