Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jeff Stelling stepping down from Sky

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Going against the grain a bit here, but the old boys room of Soccer Saturday really used to grate; no analysis of note - just that dreadful word, 'banter'.

Onwards and upwards.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sky have ruined it since they 'refreshed' the panel, I never watch it now. Thing is, they did it for the yoof viewership, but the kids don't watch scheduled TV, do they? So no yoof are watching it anyways, and the older viewers dow like it anymore and turned off = Sky really ****ed up.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved what he did with Soccer Saturday at first, but for years now they've all just become parodies of themselves. Trying too hard with the banter and trying to look dumb on purpose at times. The reason it was so good was because all that came naturally at first, not forced.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going against the grain a bit here, but the old boys room of Soccer Saturday really used to grate; no analysis of note - just that dreadful word, 'banter'.

Onwards and upwards.
It’s a long show - runs around 5 hours - so I think you need the presenter and studio pundits to be engaging and entertaining or it will turn into a dry dragging show that few will watch. Doesn’t necessarily mean it needs to be chummy or full of “banter”, but it does need to flow and there should be chemistry. I guess an early model for this was Saint and Greaves. Someone like Alex Scott would be great on there as studio pundit, but probably wasted as the host, as she’s knowledgeable and not afraid to express her opinion, but unlikely she’d jump ship from BBC.

However, as others have commented, I’m not unhappy to see a change as it’s lost it’s way in recent years and needs refreshing. A bit like Top Gear needed to find a new set of people which suited the show but captured the essence of what made it popular. They appeared to have found that now.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not an analysis show. It never has been.
They have MNF and Super Sunday for stuff like that.
The whole banter and mates having fun was a huge part of the charm.
BT Sport Score is fine for what it is but the fact that this is still better than Soccer Saturday is sad

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great presenter and someone rare these days, a fine, genuine and generous human being.
A few years ago Wolves volunteered me to do the midland legs of his prostate fund raising walk.
Over 26 miles it was, and he and dare it say it, Jez Moxey lead the way from start to finish, and Jeff had already walked many hundreds of miles.

Jeff is exactly the same man you see on T.V. he was encouraging everyone with his boundless enthusiasm for a magnificent cause. Not many of his colleagues on T.V. would do this.

I wish him well for his future, Sky will be the poorer for his leaving.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liked him early doors then less and less, Le Tissier was class.
UTW

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
I have no issue with presenters and pundits of any gender, race, religion or orientation, but surely the priority should be quality? To be crystal clear, I wouldn’t want a crap commentator or pundit, whatever they looked like. It’s irrelevant.
You're quite correct, but it's not how things work in many circles nowadays.
Undoubtedly, some employers discriminate against certain groups. Where I worked 10 years ago, there wasn't a single Black or Asian person on the books and the gaffer was quite open about the fact that there wasn't likely to be whilst he was in charge.

My wife was also recently looking for a new job and a number of vacancies that got her interest openly stated that preference would be given to applicants from under represented minority groups. She didn't bother applying.

Whilst my old gaffer's recruitment policies were obviously unacceptable, the latter is also unacceptable discrimination in my book. The best applicant should get the job regardless of anything else, but getting a tick in the 'minority group' box is more desirable it seems.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're quite correct, but it's not how things work in many circles nowadays.
Undoubtedly, some employers discriminate against certain groups. Where I worked 10 years ago, there wasn't a single Black or Asian person on the books and the gaffer was quite open about the fact that there wasn't likely to be whilst he was in charge.

My wife was also recently looking for a new job and a number of vacancies that got her interest openly stated that preference would be given to applicants from under represented minority groups. She didn't bother applying.

Whilst my old gaffer's recruitment policies were obviously unacceptable, the latter is also unacceptable discrimination in my book. The best applicant should get the job regardless of anything else, but getting a tick in the 'minority group' box is more desirable it seems.
Absolutely.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I sometimes watch Gillette Soccer Saturday, though for me I was happy to see a lot of the old guard move on. Too 'matey' for me.

Just looking at today's lineup in the studio, the contributors seem a decent reflection of football watching/playing people in terms of race, sex etc.

Whether the quality matches that of previous years, I don't know, but in terms of personnel I'm looking at a reflection of the society in which I live, which is OK by me.

I would imagine Stelling and Sky would be quite content with that, at least.
So you want a panel that's 86% white, 7% Asian, 3% black and 4% mixed heritage? Someone who watches Soccer Saturday will have to work out how that translates into numbers in the actual show. If the show doesn't match that exact ethnic mix I assume you will be writing a letter of complaint?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you want a panel that's 86% white, 7% Asian, 3% black and 4% mixed heritage? Someone who watches Soccer Saturday will have to work out how that translates into numbers in the actual show. If the show doesn't match that exact ethnic mix I assume you will be writing a letter of complaint?

No.

But since you asked, I would like a panel that broadly reflects the wide footballing community we find in the UK, in the same way that, for example, I want a police force that does the same.

Is it OK with you that I got fed up with watching virtually 100% white 'laddy' contributors talking about a game when my club's first team consists of a wonderful mix of white, black, Asiatic and Hispanic members, together with a thriving women's team?

And no, I won't be getting my calculator out on the few occasions I can be ***ed to watch Sky pundits.

Enjoy your evening.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Genuinely nice guy and a great fit for that particular type of programme (before it became rubbish anyway).

Still miss the Doyen of sports broadcasting that is Des Lynam. A voice (and moustache) that could make a wolverine purr.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Seeing as he’s on every other tv show these days I’ll stick a fiver on it being Bradley Walsh!
If we're going by that metric then it'll be Gino Decampo with plenty of innuendo Italian style..

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think its a show that's on its way out regardless of who presents it.... let's face it there is more access to watch 3 O'clock games than before the Internet age.

I expect a lot of sky shows apart from live sports will go the same way, they need to realise there is a market outside of its "Big 6" the fact they dedicated a whole summer of coverage last year to a transfer what was never remotely close to happening at that point. Soccer Saturday was the same only seemed interested in the big 6.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you want experienced football reporting knowledge with presenter credentials get Bob Hall in. He still does a bit of reporting for Sky I believe but must be getting on now.
Or maybe our Johnny Philips could do the job or even super Don. I guess the favourite is Julian Warren as he does it alot, doesn't really have any presenter style for me though.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely Jules Whatisface will get the gig.?

Introducing the new analyst panel was as much about Comcast saving money as anything else imo.They prob kept Merson on because they were concerned about the consequences of ditching him .

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No.

But since you asked, I would like a panel that broadly reflects the wide footballing community we find in the UK, in the same way that, for example, I want a police force that does the same.

Is it OK with you that I got fed up with watching virtually 100% white 'laddy' contributors talking about a game when my club's first team consists of a wonderful mix of white, black, Asiatic and Hispanic members, together with a thriving women's team?

And no, I won't be getting my calculator out on the few occasions I can be ***ed to watch Sky pundits.

Enjoy your evening.
Yeah you just moved the goal posts. You originally said you wanted it to reflect society. Now I've shown your argument to be foolish with statistics you throw your toys out of the pram.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Genuinely nice guy and a great fit for that particular type of programme (before it became rubbish anyway).

Still miss the Doyen of sports broadcasting that is Des Lynam. A voice (and moustache) that could make a wolverine purr.
That's a blast from the past. Always used to love Grandstand and also Saint and Greavies. As for new presenter well my choice would be Michelle Owen just because. :)

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gillette Soccer Saturday has been going downhill since they got rid of Le Tiss, Thommo and Charlie Nic amongst others. Nowhere near as good now with Morrison, Sherwood, Dawson and Merson (how on earth was he retained). The studio is totally different as well and doesn’t seem like it was designed for football punditry.

Been watching Jeff Stelling for years until the changes took place. Not so much now. He’s a brilliant football presenter and has so much knowledge. He’s going to be missed big time imo.

He’s too good to just disappear from our screens and it wouldn’t surprise me if he gets offered other TV work.

AntonusKlesk

Groupie
Reaction score
A brilliant broadcaster, and iconic for British football coverage, but unfortunately the style of coverage is just prehistoric now, a victim of Sky probably trying to cling on to their share of viewership, forced to mix things up.

This probably signals the start of the end of sky soccer Saturday, and hopefully within 5 years we'll have the choice of watching one of their 3pm feeds........by paying for it directly, not through overpriced middle-men.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah you just moved the goal posts. You originally said you wanted it to reflect society. Now I've shown your argument to be foolish with statistics you throw your toys out of the pram. Man child.
I do want it to reflect what it purports to reflect; the footballing society which underpins its reason for existing. Here's the quote from my post.

"Just looking at today's lineup in the studio, the contributors seem a decent reflection of football watching/playing people in terms of race, sex etc"

Where did I say that Soccer Saturday must be staffed by exact percentages of the racial mix of our society? Do you really think I believe the programme should have, for example, a 50.59% female staffing because it has to be an exact representation of the UK?

And why the need for the "Man child" insult, eh? I can see why Mutchy decided to take a break from keyboard warriors such as you.

That's my contribution to this thread ended. Have a nice Halloween.

Last edited:

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sky football coverage c.2000-2005 really was a different level, groundbreaking.
Soccer AM was such a brilliant, unique program. Keys and Gray were light years ahead of the brain dead muppets they have hosting football now. Then you had soccer Saturday, led by the supremely talented Jeff Stelling, up there with the likes of Des Lynam for me.

Other than Neville and Carragher, who at least at some value to the games they cover, literally every other element of sky’s football coverage is a pale, pale shadow of its former self.

Jeff probably sat there these past couple of months listening to the likes of Morrison and Hendrie struggling to string a sentence together and thought **** this, I’m done.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder who will replace Stelling.

Probably Bradley Walsh, he is on nearly every time I turn the television on… :)

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Gillette Soccer Saturday has been going downhill since they got rid of Le Tiss, Thommo and Charlie Nic amongst others. Nowhere near as good now with Morrison, Sherwood, Dawson and Merson (how on earth was he retained). The studio is totally different as well and doesn’t seem like it was designed for football punditry.

Been watching Jeff Stelling for years until the changes took place. Not so much now. He’s a brilliant football presenter and has so much knowledge. He’s going to be missed big time imo.

He’s too good to just disappear from our screens and it wouldn’t surprise me if he gets offered other TV work.
I mostly enjoyed Sky when I went for a pint and I enjoyed the banter and sometimes the ****-ups on Saturday afternoon because the show reflected both the characters, and views of the people I drank with. A hand picked line-up that neither represents the world I live in nor the places I drink in is, to me, artificial. Whilst I wouldn't want all jobs/positions to be ruled by precise population statistics, when it gets demonstrably out of step with the country as a whole, it suggests manipulation that is neither fair nor healthy in the longer term. At least that is my honest opinion.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff probably sat there these past couple of months listening to the likes of Morrison and Hendrie struggling to string a sentence together and thought **** this, I’m done.

Seeing as he spent years working with Phil Thompson, Le Tiss, and particularly Merson, he can clearly tolerate poorly constructed sentences!

D

Deleted member 7041

I will always remember his comment of....Jacob's scored for Wolves Musta been a cracker..... :)

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
I enjoy Jeff and watching it on the rare occasions I’m not watching live on a Saturday.

To place into perspective however I think Villa Fan (via West Ham) David Cameron would shine with his footballing insight if sat next to the likes of Le Tissier, Thompson, Mersin and good old Charlie!

The anti woke (sic) brigade would no doubt have feasted on the smoked gammon on display!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I have noticed the absence of Chris Kamara in recent weeks,unless I have missed him .
Unbelievable Jeff

Back
Top Bottom