Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jeff Shi Out

Should Jeff Shi Go?

• Yes

Votes: 368 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 195 34.6%

• Total voters

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
53% pay rise wasn’t it this time last year?
That’s not a true reflection though, the last year before covid his pay was £556k, he then took a cut to £400k in the covid year, back up to £612k the year after (possibly including some catch up pay) then down to £588k last year.

So it’s risen 5.7% in 3 years.

Don’t get me wrong, I have issues with some of the decision making under Shi but things like this that get thrown around with no context aren’t a fair reflection. Use the money wasted, hot and cold transfer policies, poor January’s by all means.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a stellar year Jeff has had…….

NOT!!!!

If you go back to this time last year, he's actually had a pretty good 12 months since then.
The year before we lost about 115 million, last year we made about 75 mill and have ended up with a more effective team and the potential manager of the season. being 18 pts above relegation with 5 games left. There's not a Wolves fan alive who wouldn't have taken that last August.
We were caught napping with the money but took very decisive action and held very firm when other clubs did not and we were getting criticised by a disgruntled manager (who hasn't worked since). The price for that is a threadbare squad but it's not cost us anything except a boring run-in. If you were plotting a way out of the mess we were in, you couldn't have picked anything better.
Big summer though.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you go back to this time last year, he's actually had a pretty good 12 months since then.
The year before we lost about 115 million, last year we made about 75 mill and have ended up with a more effective team and the potential manager of the season. being 18 pts above relegation with 5 games left. There's not a Wolves fan alive who wouldn't have taken that last August.
We caught napping with the money but took very decisive action when other clubs did not, the price for that is a threadbare squad but it's not cost us anything except a boring run-in. If you were plotting a way out of the mess we were in, you couldn't have picked anything better.
Big summer though.

If you believe he has had a Good year this season, I have a pocketful of magic beans to sell you…….

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And who did you buy them off?
What exactly were your expectations when Lopetegui left 5 days before the season, and what have we not done to your satisfaction since?

Who created the situation that lead to JL leaving by moving the goal posts and mismanaging the funds that led to a massive fire sale???? Jeff shi!!!

Who told GON there would be money for a striker if he let sasa and Fabio go, then didn’t deliver on this? Even though a small fee target was seen in Vinicius???! Jeff shi……

Who didn’t add ANY players to the squad when told it would cause injury issues if we didn’t add numbers???? JEFF SHI……

Why do we have so few players after having to sell our depth to make sure we didn’t fall foul of FFP and after 5 years in the prem? Jeff Shi….

Jeff has made **** up after **** up this season, if you think that is a successful season, then WOW………

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That’s not a true reflection though, the last year before covid his pay was £556k, he then took a cut to £400k in the covid year, back up to £612k the year after (possibly including some catch up pay) then down to £588k last year.

Don’t get me wrong, I have issues with some of the decision making under Shi but things like this that get thrown around with no context aren’t a fair reflection. Use the money wasted, hot and cold transfer policies, poor January’s by all means.
You’ve given the context in your last sentence. It goes without saying at this point, especially on this forum.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’d have all taken the position we find ourselves in before a ball was kicked this season. There have been failings for sure, and that has turned to disappointment as we’ve massively exceeded original targets. Cest la vie… it’s not all on Jeff Shi imo.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who created the situation that lead to JL leaving by moving the goal posts and mismanaging the funds that led to a massive fire sale???? Jeff shi!!!

Who told GON there would be money for a striker if he let sasa and Fabio go, then didn’t deliver on this? Even though a small fee target was seen in Vinicius???! Jeff shi……

Who didn’t add ANY players to the squad when told it would cause injury issues if we didn’t add numbers???? JEFF SHI……

Why do we have so few players after having to sell our depth to make sure we didn’t fall foul of FFP and after 5 years in the prem? Jeff Shi….

Jeff has made **** up after **** up this season, if you think that is a successful season, then WOW………

We're higher than last season and have more points already? How has he done that, with all those mistakes?
I asked you what your expectations were when the manager left 5 days before the season started when we were truly ****ed.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're higher than last season and have more points already? How has he done that, with all those mistakes?
I asked you what your expectations were when the manager left 5 days before the season started when we were truly ****ed.

GON has achieved miracles in SPITE of shi and his poor management of the club playing squad not because of the support and good work of shi

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi has under performed for me but has caught two lucky break’s
1 Nuno
2 GON

After that the jury is out at best.
Transfers have been mystifying at times . Over paying for obvious lack of quality yet we get a profit on Collins and Nunes

He needs a good summer window and we need a proper squad.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last 4 seasons have followed the same pattern of mid season promise for next season (relative to league position) and then just a mind numbing slow motion car crash towards the end of the season with mid table purgatory as the result.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON has achieved miracles in SPITE of shi and his poor management of the club playing squad not because of the support and good work of shi
Come on....who appointed him as manager?

Shi's mistake (if it was Shi and not Guo Guochang) was giving too much sway to Mendes and overpaying for very average players, and letting him persuade us that Lage was an option for manager. But that was stopped 12 months ago and we've paid the price and come out with our position intact, that was the only target. We also brought in massive fees for Neves and Nunes, and havent even missed Nunes at all.
This summer will be huge, it will be the first time that Hobbs and GON have a summer to plan for with hopefully a decent budget.
We need good young players who are going to increase in value, and i think that Hobbs will be relishing the chance.
If the club ****s him up, that's when we should push for new ownership and I hope Fosun pre-judge that by bringing in a partner prepared to invest but also be prepared to share their portion of any losses for the sake of ambition.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Chris H you know your stuff (with accounting, nothing else ;) ) could you please explain something to me which I am unsure of. With FFP allowable losses are higher as I understand it if the owner puts money in to a certain limit.

Has Fosun put money in to that limit and we were close to the edge in spite of this?

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last 4 seasons have followed the same pattern of mid season promise for next season (relative to league position) and then just a mind numbing slow motion car crash towards the end of the season with mid table purgatory as the result.

To be honest, i was more annoyed last season with the total capitulations at Arsenal and Brighton...if anything i blamed the manager because he was happy once we were safe, as per his contract target and probable huge bonus.
Tonight we could have easily collapsed but kept our shape...that builds a team culture and doesn't show just a bunch of individuals.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have had quite a few laughs tonight, but even you cannot agree with the OP that Jeff shi has had a good season this year…..
Here is a key question

What are you judging him on?

League position tick
Manager performance tick

Previous years are fair game, but for the love of God, lets not keep killing every ****ing thread,

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here is a key question

Wha tare you judging him on?

League position tick
Manager performance tick

Previous years are fair game, but for the love of God, lets not keep killing every ****ing thread,

What is the thread called????

I also judge him on;

Quality of the playing squad

How he supports the manager and giving him the tools he needs.

Running the clubs finances properly

He has failed in 2 of those massively and while he saved the third one, to do it made his failing of the first two an inevitability to miss……

but I would count the third as a net zero…. As we had to have a massive fire sale, depleting the squad and didn’t have the money to sign a loan striker when the manager was told he could if he released two strikers and money wouldn’t be an issue. GON said the fee was small (or words to that effect). That is SHOCKING for a team spending its sixth season in the premier league!

We are where we are due to the amazing work of GON, not the work of Jeff this season.

He didn’t pick/interview the manager mate, so you cannot give him that one…… he left it all to Hobbs…..

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest, i was more annoyed last season with the total capitulations at Arsenal and Brighton...if anything i blamed the manager because he was happy once we were safe, as per his contract target and probable huge bonus.
Tonight we could have easily collapsed but kept our shape...that builds a team culture and doesn't show just a bunch of individuals.
For me it is a statement of what’s happening off the pitch. As players and managers become aware that our best players will leave, our funds are limited and our ambitions are small, it is inevitable that their own drive and belief will be impacted, which is reflected most evidently on the pitch.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi has under performed for me but has caught two lucky break’s
1 Nuno
2 GON

After that the jury is out at best.
Transfers have been mystifying at times . Over paying for obvious lack of quality yet we get a profit on Collins and Nunes

He needs a good summer window and we need a proper squad.
Perhaps a 50% hit rate in terms of good coaches (not to mention JL) is not too bad?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Agree compare the team that JL had to choose from to what we had available tonight .

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is the thread called????

I also judge him on;

Quality of the playing squad

How he supports the manager and giving him the tools he needs.

Running the clubs finances properly

He has failed in 2 of those massively and while he saved the third one, to do it made his failing of the first two an inevitability to miss……

but I would count the third as a net zero…. As we had to have a massive fire sale, depleting the squad and didn’t have the money to sign a loan striker when the manager was told he could if he released two strikers and money wouldn’t be an issue. GON said the fee was small (or words to that effect). That is SHOCKING for a team spending its sixth season in the premier league!

We are where we are due to the amazing work of GON, not the work of Jeff this season.

He didn’t pick/interview the manager mate, so you cannot give him that one…… he left it all to Hobbs…..
there's no point trying to respond sometimes,

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree compare the team that JL had to choose from to what we had available tonight .

GON deserves so much credit for tonight!!!

let alone the last few weeks…..

He has done a fantastic job to keep the lads motivated and trying their hardest in very challenging circumstances for a guy in only his second season in management.

Many with more experience wouldn’t handle this as well as he has!

If he had the JL squad from last season/fit squad, we would have hit europe this season.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it is a statement of what’s happening off the pitch. As players and managers become aware that our best players will leave, our funds are limited and our ambitions are small, it is inevitable that their own drive and belief will be impacted, which is reflected most evidently on the pitch.

We've always been aware that our best players will leave at some point, that's part of the deal for getting them to come here (and we usually treat players very well if they treat us well...ignoring *******s like Nunes).
I actually think that's what got us going in the first place, the belief that we weren't a club that would put handcuffs on players.....why would they have come here at all in that case? It worked with Jota, worked with Neves, and it will work with Neto...we blotted our copybook with some of the later signings, who didn't want to come here in the first place.

What we need to see this summer is if the ambitions have actually changed, or whether we've just been paying the price for poor decisions and will get back on track this summer, now they we've paid our dues to stay within the rules. Actions will speak louder than words.

*All will be void if Fosun sell up, you'd think with a threadbare squad but a place in the Premier League guaranteed, we would be quite attractive to investors.

Back
Top Bottom