Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jeff Shi Out

Should Jeff Shi Go?

• Yes

Votes: 368 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 195 34.6%

• Total voters

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
In any case, I am talking about our chairman Shi specifically, in whose case it may be a more pertinent ask to name five worse.
Jeff is the public face, the one there to deliver the bad news. As those go, he's not doing too bad.

Were you there when Moxey got the stick for the Pie and Pint fiasco? When the SB were turned their merch booklets into paper airplanes and attacking the board during games? It's nowhere near that. In fact, it doesn't exist at all past internet grumblings.

Oh and while we're at it, most of those appear to be praise from management towards their employers. Shocker. I bet most clubs in the FFP era outside the ones with a limitless cash reserve will have similar amounts of negativity amongst their fanbase.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff is the public face, the one there to deliver the bad news. As those go, he's not doing too bad.

Were you there when Moxey got the stick for the Pie and Pint fiasco? When the SB were turned their merch booklets into paper airplanes and attacking the board during games? It's nowhere near that. In fact, it doesn't exist at all past internet grumblings.

Oh and while we're at it, most of those appear to be praise from management towards their employers. Shocker.
Your pointing to Moxley only succeeds in making Shi look good by comparison. Jez was panto villain bad.
As far as delivering bad news goes, yes I agree Shi is quite good at that! Has played his part in bringing it about too.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
Your pointing to Moxley only succeeds in making Shi look good by comparison. Jez was panto villain bad.
No, it was more than the panto villain stuff. People really didn't like him - I sit above the directors box so heard what people used to say. Not that it was wholly deserved, just in comparison the negativity towards Shi is pretty low key.

Jeff by comparison is close to anonymous.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All these have come in since 2022 and barring Neto, they include our best players. Where is the disinvestment?
Cunha 44million
Gomes 18 million
Traore 9 million
Sasa 15 million
Hwang 14 million
Lemina 8 million
Sarabia 3.5 million
Bellegarde 12 million
Bueno 9 million
Gonzalez 4 million

What they have achieved is exactly what they aimed to achieve....reduced reliance on an agent and more focus on the club, rather than building a collection of individuals with no loyalty, cultural understanding or even a desire to be here in the first place if we include Guedes and Nunes at the best part of 65 million quid, with only the Nunes money recouped so far.

We had a manager who wanted to spunk millions more on players that we could not afford under the rules. He left in a hissy fit because he thought we'd get relegated, even after the most expensive signings being ones bought under his tenure.
What Shi and Hobbs have done is stop the rot.
They don't need to be scratching their heads about that, it was the intention, even if it has played out better than anybody expected on the pitch.
I wouldn't call O'Neil a low cost option either, he's a Premier League manager on a commensurate wage and we don't pay these players above peanuts. We are just not spending beyond our means, so if you want to call Wolves a low-cost club, that's exactly what we need to be when our money is about 10 times smaller than the big 6 can generate.
I think you have completely misunderstood the essence of my post.
And of course we have disinvested to comply with FFP .

lycophilos

Reaction score
The line from him was sasa wouldn’t go unless one was coming in…….

Sasa left, one didn’t come in.

The optics on that aren’t good! Especially after the repeated moving of goal posts on JL in the summer.
Yes, the "optics" on that aren't good - but not in the way you are implying.

The optics aren't good because the view is very very fuzzy.

How often did GON make a direct connection between Sasa going and someone coming in? And what was the context of the statement?

As it seems that GON has been very involved himself in the transfer discussions at the club, it may very well be that he had a transfer target in mind. Then if his target (or targets) didn't work out, he may have agreed that just getting in any free player to fill the "gap" wasn't worth the money or effort, especially as players would be returning from Afcon/Asia cup.

And if the talks on Gary's transfer targets didn't succeed - whose fault was that? Hobbs? Gary? Shi? A combination of these? The other club's? Or (most likely IMHO), none of these - simply unavoidable circumstances.

And as for the so-called "moving of the goalposts" ("repeated" is somewhat of an exaggeration) - again, what were the circumstances involved? And who was to blame - if anyone?

Last edited:

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How often did GON make a direct connection between Sasa going and someone coming in? And what was the context of the statement?

As it seems that GON has been very involved himself in the transfer discussions at the club, it may very well be that he had a transfer target in mind. Then if his target (or targets) didn't work out, he may have agreed that just getting in any free player to fill the "gap" wasn't worth the money or effort, especially as players would be returning from Afcon/Asia cup.

And if the talks on Gary's transfer targets didn't succeed - whose fault was that? Hobbs? Gary? Shi? A combination of these? The other club's? Or (most likely IMHO), none of these - simply unavoidable circumstances.

And as for the so-called "moving of the goalposts" ("repeated" is somewhat of an exaggeration) - again, what were the circumstances involved? And who was to blame - if anyone?
Semedo?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great post.
Calm, rational and astute questions and points.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don’t think anyone is to blamed we just couldn’t get anyone good enough with the money we had available. Far better to wait for the summer rather than buying someone for the sake of it.

loppers86

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone is to blamed we just couldn’t get anyone good enough with the money we had available. Far better to wait for the summer rather than buying someone for the sake of it.
it’s clear GON did want a no 9 and hobbs was working on how to get one good enough. then jeff moved the goalposts (as described by GON a week ago) thus rendering all Hobbs preparation irrelevant and leaving us scrabbling around for some kind of keiffer moore again. luckily this time GON appears to have put is foot down and said No to the panic buy.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope Fosun stay. I voted Jeff out because I was thoroughly ****ed off with the summer, and now the January transfer with no striker. I shifted from being very positive to really worried about whether Fosun were serious anymore. I now think I got it wrong. I was at Chelsea luckily enough, and it was one of the best live performances by Wolves I've seen. Not without things to improve on, bit like Fosun's ownership, but damn impressive, skillful players in a team that fights for eachother as well as understanding their roles, that has real courage under pressure as well as outstanding ability.
Long may this last. I remember when fans wanted nuno gone. We've only now started to recover.
Fosun and Shi have done brilliantly for us.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In a pinch an option in Sasa is better than a guy playing woefully out of position in JRB and frankly JRB is just being nothing more than a shirt on a pitch as he offers nothing when playing the CF or false nine role.

Guy has two goals in the league in sod all time, would have been a better option in the role.
I disagree with that - Sasa wouldn’t fit our pressing, counter attacking game plans at all.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree with that - Sasa wouldn’t fit our pressing, counter attacking game plans at all.

And how much is JRB contributing when he is on the field in a central attacking role? Against a poor WBA, Man Utd and Chelsea he has largely been an ineffective passenger in recent games, but he has offered little in all the times he has played the role since hwang went away.

At least sasa got a few goals in the league and cup

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's possible, but it's generally the same names posting these rumours every 3-6 months, although to be fair the nationality of the "businessmen" usually changes!
Zhong Shanshan is pals with Guo so you never know…. More Chinese the better the dragon wolf

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
Out of interest, can anyone give examples of Jeff Shi's strategic acumen and long term planning?
I was referring to his E&S article in which he laid out his way of thinking albeit in a rather rambling disjointed way.

Can't deny though that the club is in a much better place than when he took the reigns. Did you really believe we'd be in the champions league by now?

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
And how much is JRB contributing when he is on the field in a central attacking role? Against a poor WBA, Man Utd and Chelsea he has largely been an ineffective passenger in recent games, but he has offered little in all the times he has played the role since hwang went away.

Haven’t you learnt to show a bit of patience whether it be a new manager or new players?

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Unfortunately Sasa was signed before O Neil arrived and didn’t fit his style of play, even JRB playing out of position retains the ball for longer.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s clear GON did want a no 9 and hobbs was working on how to get one good enough. then jeff moved the goalposts (as described by GON a week ago) thus rendering all Hobbs preparation irrelevant and leaving us scrabbling around for some kind of keiffer moore again. luckily this time GON appears to have put is foot down and said No to the panic buy.
we all know why the vast majority of your posts are anti-Shi.

Here’s a question for you. Do you now admit that Looetegui got it wrong about the squad?

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one thing that all the posters seem to miss about their calls for Jeff to go is that if they got there wish he'd only be replaced by another executive from FOSUN with exactly the same remit as Jeff has, so what would be the difference? If FOSUN wanted an outside football professional they would have installed one by now. What you're really calling for is a change of ownership.

Jeff may not be the perfect Executive Chairman but he's been here for 7 years now so has some experience and has hopefully learned from all the mistakes he's made. Would we really be better of with a rookie exec?

Chairmen of football clubs will never be popular with fans. Ticket and season ticket prices will always be too high, transfer windows will never see enough money spent, the ground will never be big or modern enough, they'll always 'lack ambition' There will always be something to complain about. But the yardstick for me is are we better off as a club now than when he took over and the answer to that is immeasurably!

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Not everything is about goals - JRB presses, is quick, works hard - that fits us much better than Sasa who is a static target man who gets a couple of goals.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not everything is about goals - JRB presses, is quick, works hard - that fits us much better than Sasa who is a static target man who gets a couple of goals.

JRB has been largely anonymous and I am a big fan of his saying that!

He is painfully out of position and he hasn’t had a good performance in any game he has played the central forward role.

I rate him as a cam, but he is never a CF or false 9 in a month of Sundays like he is being used now.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
JRB has been largely anonymous and I am a big fan of his saying that!

He is painfully out of position and he hasn’t had a good performance in any game he has played the central forward role.

I rate him as a cam, but he is never a CF or false 9 in a month of Sundays like he is being used now.
And yet, he still fits the game plan better than Sasa…

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And yet, he still fits the game plan better than Sasa…

With no goals or assists or half decent performances in his games there…..

Ok……

2 winning goals from one of them……

JRB is a better all round player, but sorry he isn’t more effective than sasa was in his limited time in the same central role…..

JRB couldn’t even stand out against a **** baggies team…. He has been inept in the central role, to say he has/offered more than Sasa is in the central forward role is patently false and just not close to accurate.

Sasa had goals in league and cup, JRB (and I really rate him) has been **** poor in this well out of his skill set and strengths role of CF or central forward.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, people forget we wouldn't have even been in such an FFP mess if he hadn't blindly signed off on stupidly expensive Mendes signings like Guedes. We were lucky City wanted Nunes, otherwise we'd be on our way to a 10pt deduction! We were due some luck as a club, so no issue with that, but won't have people claiming Shi has done a good job post-Nuno, he really hasn't.
I don’t think Guedes is a great example really. He’d been tracked for seasons and his record in La Liga was very good for a wide forward, he was just a signing that didn’t work out, it happens.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think Guedes is a great example really. He’d been tracked for seasons and his record in La Liga was very good for a wide forward, he was just a signing that didn’t work out, it happens.
I honestly don’t think you can look at any of the major signings and not see some sense in them in the context of the time they were made.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I bet Jeff was feeling on top of the world after that result. I can imagine him whistling his way onto the coach, shaking Gary's hand, high fiving the players. Sitting down, getting his phone out, loading up Molineux Mix and thinking, "Oh boy they're going to be happy tonight!"

First thread he sees at the top, 'JEFF SHI OUT'. "Oh FFS!" he says, putting his phone back into pocket.
Only after stamping on said phone :tearsofjoy:

Back
Top Bottom