Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jason Denayer

sheffwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Strange that reports of an impasse on wages. According to this article, his proposed move to Turkey collapsed because they wouldn’t pay the wages he demanded. Based on the figures quoted, he was looking for £50k/week, but offered to compromise at £41k/week. Is that really too much for Wolves if true? I thought that’s no more than what we offered for Dawson?

I wonder how much Kilman and Collins are on? It could potentially be a problem if he was asking for more than either of them are on, for him to come and sit on the bench as their cover.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder how much Kilman and Collins are on? It could potentially be a problem if he was asking for more than either of them are on, for him to come and sit on the bench as their cover.

My guess is no more. But my point is that is what we apparently offered Dawson, so the club must have thought it ok. But it is also what he was looking for in Turkey. Maybe players get friendly tax treatment in Turkey? If so we’d need to double it given the average tax rate he would pay here.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we have the space with the 17 foreign player rule.

Denayer counts has home grown
We ain't near it.....it's 23.and over ...donk has gone and boly ......and we ain't named our squad yet so Sasa n chiquhino won't even be named ...

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we have the space with the 17 foreign player rule.

Denayer counts has home grown
We're fine. Since the last count which got to 15 I think, we've moved on Dendoncker and Boly and while we added Kalajdzic, I think we have until the end of September to submit the squad so he (along with Chiquinho) won't be included on the list, and even if he is we still only stand at 14

Sa
Semedo
Jonny
Toti
Neves
Moutinho
Nunes
Adama Traore
Guedes
Podence
Neto
Jimenez
Hwang

Ait-Nouri, Mosquera and Boubacar Traore were all born after Jan 1st 2001 so don't count this season, but will next

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange that reports of an impasse on wages. According to this article, his proposed move to Turkey collapsed because they wouldn’t pay the wages he demanded. Based on the figures quoted, he was looking for £50k/week, but offered to compromise at £41k/week. Is that really too much for Wolves if true? I thought that’s no more than what we offered for Dawson?

And a couple of days ago he was accused of being a greedy troublemaker for supposedly wanting £100k per week to stay in France....

...which is not far off what it would take for me to be surrounded by French people every day. Wonder if anyone realized it was probably going to be his club that put out the 'he wants £100k per week' line because it's all a bit convenient to make him look like the bad guy?

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone said he’s looking for 100k EUR. If so that’s about £85k which is high by Wolves standards but not the highest.

I guess it comes down to squad treatment and balance and knock-on effects.
I remember reading Graeme Souness saying the biggest mistake he ever made was thinking he could do wages for new players and getting some good deals, but then being completely ignorant of the rest of the squad.

The example he gave was bringing in players like Dean Saunders and putting him on the going rate, but not realising that he's put him on more than Ian Rush...who then obviously wanted parity as a living legend. The board refused to change Rush's contract because then everybody would be knocking on the door..., the whole squad became unsettled as the existing players were better than the new players but were earning less.
Rush was then sold because the board refused to sanction a payrise, and Souness bought Paul Stewart to replace him, then Nigel Clough etc.....Liverpool's succession dynasty fell apart and they didn't win a title for 30 years.
It's one reason why top top players like Rooney later had contracts that said they always had to be the top earner, or not put behind new players who were still unproven. By all means bring in new players, but you have to budget for rises for the rest of them too.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I remember reading Graeme Souness saying the biggest mistake he ever made was thinking he could do wages for new players and getting some good deals, but then being completely ignorant of the rest of the squad.

The example he gave was bringing in players like Dean Saunders and putting him on the going rate, but not realising that he's put him on more than Ian Rush...who then obviously wanted parity as a living legend. The board refused to change Rush's contract because then everybody would be knocking on the door..., the whole squad became unsettled as the existing players were better than the new players but were earning less.
Rush was then sold because the board refused to sanction a payrise, and Souness bought Paul Stewart to replace him, then Nigel Clough etc.....Liverpool's succession dynasty fell apart and they didn't win a title for 30 years.
It's one reason why top top players like Rooney later had contracts that said they always had to be the top earner, or not put behind new players who were still unproven. By all means bring in new players, but you have to budget for rises for the rest of them too.
From Ian Rush to Paul Stewart. Jesus. A bit like when we went from Steve Bull to Blobby Taylor.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I wouldn’t be happy breaking our wage structure for him either. But at the £85k level, he would be high but not above the highest earners. As an experienced professional signed on a free, I would imagine our existing players understanding the rationale. However reading reports today, the amount he was on in France and seeking in Turkey was lower, around the £50k level, which doesn’t appear exceptional.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From Ian Rush to Paul Stewart. Jesus. A bit like when we went from Steve Bull to Blobby Taylor.
they went from Alan Hansen to Neil Ruddock, and Julian Dicks as a left back. No wonder they lost the ability to play football.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're fine. Since the last count which got to 15 I think, we've moved on Dendoncker and Boly and while we added Kalajdzic, I think we have until the end of September to submit the squad so he (along with Chiquinho) won't be included on the list, and even if he is we still only stand at 14

Sa
Semedo
Jonny
Toti
Neves
Moutinho
Nunes
Adama Traore
Guedes
Podence
Neto
Jimenez
Hwang

Ait-Nouri, Mosquera and Boubacar Traore were all born after Jan 1st 2001 so don't count this season, but will next
You left out Costa

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
they went from Alan Hansen to Neil Ruddock, and Julian Dicks as a left back. No wonder they lost the ability to play football.
I suppose you could also say:
From Andy Gray to Cavan Chapman
Steve Daley to Campbell Chapman.
Sorry and your account about Liverpool above is a very good read.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s players aged 21 and under, not 23 and under.

View attachment 30064
That must of changed cause , maybe with the u23s going to U21S.....last season it was u23........my mistake ...

Still got space for 1 then.....Costa.......if he doesn't get a work permit we can get Zagado.......thats why denayer is holding out for more money then.......

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did
Graham Taylor nearly went from Steve Bull to Paul Stewart
Did I imagine this, but didn’t Paul Stewart once get booed off playing on loan for us whilst being subbed off on a stretcher? He’d been that bad?

I was only a kid at the time, but it stuck with me for some reason? I may have completely made it up?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did

Did I imagine this, but didn’t Paul Stewart once get booed off playing on loan for us whilst being subbed off on a stretcher? He’d been that bad?

I was only a kid at the time, but it stuck with me for some reason? I may have completely made it up?
I remember him scoring in the Tranmere game straight after Billy Wright died and getting cheered off getting injured whilst scoring, but that could be my memory playing up

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember him scoring in the Tranmere game straight after Billy Wright died and getting cheered off getting injured whilst scoring, but that could be my memory playing up
I may have mixed this up completely, but I seem to recall a dismal home defeat to Luton Town

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I may have mixed this up completely, but I seem to recall a dismal home defeat to Luton Town
We did lose 3-2 at home to Luton that season and Stewart scored, but I didn't go to that one so can't say if he was booed or not

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did

Yes he was getting booed, not just because he was bad (and he had an awful perm) but there was also the rumours going around that if he proved himself on loan then Taylor was going to replace Bully with him.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's fascinating to read. You would think that having Saunders and Rush up front would be the dream team (given how well they played for Wales with Hughes) but it wasn't a match made in heaven after all.

Rush was a bit of a busted flush then though and I think he left on a free to Leeds where he didn't set the world on fire, so perhaps it was as much to do with succession planning (Stewart was a weird purchase, but not as weird as signing Michael Thomas, the player who won the title at Anfield) as upsetting the wage structure.

For Liverpool then, see Man Utd today.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Setting aside any financial considerations can see that sittiing on the bench behind the magnificent Max and Nathan is not very attractive to an established international player in a World Cup year. Pity because he would be ideal especially on a free.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Setting aside any financial considerations can see that sittiing on the bench behind the magnificent Max and Nathan is not very attractive to an established international player in a World Cup year. Pity because he would be ideal especially on a free.

Not sure how important the World Cup is to him to be honest.
Jasons goals seems very much to be concentrated on chasing the dollar.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing in a successful side in the World Cup improves your marketability bigly
Very true, but if he was so concerned he would be agreeing a deal or staying at his old club.
As it stands he is potentially, vastly reducing his chance of going to the World Cup through lack of game time and fitness To get big money in the short term.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Gone a bit quiet on this front. Whilst there’s no rush on our side, perhaps he’s considering other offers as well.

Or maybe Costa has just walked in and grabbed to budget set aside for Jason.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gone a bit quiet on this front. Whilst there’s no rush on our side, perhaps he’s considering other offers as well.

Or maybe Costa has just walked in and grabbed to budget set aside for Jason.

He may just of rejected our proposal if the claims of extortionate wages are true, seems strange how quiet it’s gone!

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
Paul Stewart was the only time I ever booed someone playing for Wolves.
If memory serves me well it was a midweek game and it was being reported that we were to sign him permanently the following day.
He was an awful player, believed to be on big money and a lot of supporters took it upon themselves to let the management know what they thought of him.

D

Deleted member (smith)

Apparently we were not willing to pay the wages he demanded and he was not willing to accept less
Was quite a credible source

Well that’s a relief….interesting that Costa was no real drama at all over wages and was very happy to come….seems he understands that you have to play to impress people and I really hope it works out for him and for Wolves.

Traore should take note of what it’s like to be a free agent.

R

reanswolf

Paul Stewart was the only time I ever booed someone playing for Wolves.
If memory serves me well it was a midweek game and it was being reported that we were to sign him permanently the following day.
He was an awful player, believed to be on big money and a lot of supporters took it upon themselves to let the management know what they thought of him.
He was overweight and unfit, very much like my good self these days :)-.

Back
Top Bottom