Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broja isn't exactly proven and is coming back from a long-term injury. Considering the very costly mistakes we've made in the last three years, I certainly wouldn't be rushing to splash anything like £30m, even if we weren't under financial constraints. We need to learn.

Diallo, however, was excellent at Strasbourg, and that would be a blinding signing.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
However, I think it's unrealistic to think our current attacking options will sustain this level due to the demands we're placing on them - and that's if they stay fit.
Even if we are to struggle for the remainder of the season (and I don't believe we will), what has surprised me and I suspect most fans about Gary O'Neil is his nous as a coach and his ability to adapt to situations. Yes we have a small squad with limited cover. What strikes most fans I believe is the fact that players have improved under GON's direction and as a result of that the team. We have gone from being literally a goal a game team last season who struggled once they fell behind, to a team who we now expect to score and never appear to be beaten. I have to admit I thought we would struggle without Neto, but after some initial problems the team adjusted and results once again improved. Admittedly there is a long way to go in the season but purchases haven't been ruled out at this stage, we have been told that those players we had an initial interest in will not now be pursued, other options are going to be considered. If one or two of those are considered good enough to either take on loan or to purchase, great. If not, I'll live with that as I believe it gives us greater scope to strengthen the team over the summer.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As stated previously, totally chilled if we don't sign a No 9 this window, particularly those mentioned. Will we miss Fabio or Sasa, highly unlikely on evidence to date.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why am I pessimistic? I've said, on this thread and others, that we're the second biggest overachievers in the league after Villa.
I've said I would be happy to have kept Sasa and done NO business.

So, you're just picking and choosing what I say to suit your view of me, like many others.

As for the 'financially doable', what are you even arguing here? O'Neil has said we can't sign players for financial reasons. Broja is £30m, what were they expecting? Why did we supposedly offer money for Dia in the summer? Where's that money gone? But you'd believe it's not Wolves moving the goalposts, it's actually every other club.

Do you honestly believe if we were 17th in the league then we would spend £0 in January? There's wriggle room, as reported by Percy, so the budgets should be known and we should have had someone lined up after Sasa left.

I don't care about anyone else. No other club has no natural strikers.
Maybe getting sasa and fabio, and soon to be jonny off the wage bill, as well as all of guedes wages being paid by villareal and mosquera, has allowed wolves to re evaluate their options and push for a higher level of striker, as long as the deal is right for us. Perhaps dia was seen as ok for the money last summer, but now we can aim for something better, as long as the selling club isnt taking the **** like chelsea are with broja.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not the lack of money it’s the lack of research that really ****es me off .
I’m pretty sure their research would have been extensive knowing they can only buy/loan a player that can add value to this already talented squad on a shoestring budget was always going to be a very tough task
if you’ve not got the money you’ve not got the money
Fingers crossed Fraser can come good

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not the lack of money it’s the lack of research that really ****es me off .
Precisely....the Fabio deal was simply ridiculous, the boy is simply nothing special at all- bye bye most of £35m....the Guedes deal was ridiculous-never wanted to be with us and another inflated fee......goodbye most of £27m....Cutrone, Trincao etc complete waste of time and money all these have contributed to our current 'penniless' situation. Imagine
if that £70m plus had been spent wisely....and the research had been done properly.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been out today…..is the following a fair synopsis of what I’ve missed?

- Broja - rubbish not worth it don‘t want him.
- GON - clubs want too much money for our first targets, so thinking about Plan B but only if improve squad.
- Panic, panic, panic. Bring back Sasa and Silva. We’ll regret not getting Broja and Ings.
- Wolves linked to Diallo.
- Dust off passports, Europe here we come.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been out today…..is the following a fair synopsis of what I’ve missed?

- Broja - rubbish not worth it don‘t want him.
- GON - clubs want too much money for our first targets, so thinking about Plan B but only if improve squad.
- Panic, panic, panic. Bring back Sasa and Silva. We’ll regret not getting Broja and Ings.
- Wolves linked to Diallo.
- Dust off passports, Europe here we come.
You forgot the bit where it was all the Club's fault.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure their research would have been extensive knowing they can only buy/loan a player that can add value to this already talented squad on a shoestring budget was always going to be a very tough task
if you’ve not got the money you’ve not got the money
Fingers crossed Fraser can come good
Nobody’s got the money . And that is why we have been loaning out players . But somehow not borrowing them !

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Precisely....the Fabio deal was simply ridiculous, the boy is simply nothing special at all- bye bye most of £35m....the Guedes deal was ridiculous-never wanted to be with us and another inflated fee......goodbye most of £27m....Cutrone, Trincao etc complete waste of time and money all these have contributed to our current 'penniless' situation. Imagine
if that £70m plus had been spent wisely....and the research had been done properly.

Tbf Fabio was being touted as a potential top striker in Europe, he was no where near going to be generational like Jeff idiotically put it. We were never in a position as a club to throw down £30m+ on a player like him at the time.

Guedes, well it was a pure Mendes deal we all know it, the guy has talent you saw it in Spain, just didnt want to be here and stunk of desperation from Sellars and Shi.

Cutrone, was coming off a bad season at Milan after having a solid one the year before, again touted to go on to be a top striker. Like I've always said, Italians struggle outside of Italy.

Trincao another high potential player signed at the wrong time by Barca and us. Just didnt seem to apply himself.

There was some sort of research tbf, they were looking for high potential players build them up and sell them off for profit. Issue here is we did it so horrendously wrong its really ****ed us up. At the end of the day it was sheer incompetence, zero structure and pure naivety from the higher ups. Thankfully it seems and touch wood here, we're finally using our own scouting department instead of using a crook who's best interest is lining his own pockets.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's another way to see that though.

Fabio - massively overpaid, something very dodgy there. Mendes favour.

Guedes - good player, didn't want to come or didn't settle, Mendes paws all over it but hard to know what really went on. Guedes doesn't come out of this at all well.

Cutrone - may have worked out, highly rated, didn't settle or work out anywhere. This is just one of those failed transfers all clubs have.

Trincao - very skilful player on loan who just didn't settle. Can't knock wolves for this one. It's not like we signed him on a permanent.

Meanwhile, we've done many good transfers. Semedo was an iffy one but he's actually performing well this season.

The Fabio and Guedes transfers were truly awful and Semedo wasn't the right kind of expensive full back we should have been signing given the fee. Still, at least he's been a first teamer since he signed. The issue was really around the timing of the big transfers and the screw ups in squad make up.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf Fabio was being touted as a potential top striker in Europe, he was no where near going to be generational like Jeff idiotically put it. We were never in a position as a club to throw down £30m+ on a player like him at the time.

Guedes, well it was a pure Mendes deal we all know it, the guy has talent you saw it in Spain, just didnt want to be here and stunk of desperation from Sellars and Shi.

Cutrone, was coming off a bad season at Milan after having a solid one the year before, again touted to go on to be a top striker. Like I've always said, Italians struggle outside of Italy.

Trincao another high potential player signed at the wrong time by Barca and us. Just didnt seem to apply himself.

There was some sort of research tbf, they were looking for high potential players build them up and sell them off for profit. Issue here is we did it so horrendously wrong its really ****ed us up. At the end of the day it was sheer incompetence, zero structure and pure naivety from the higher ups. Thankfully it seems and touch wood here, we're finally using our own scouting department instead of using a crook who's best interest is lining his own pockets.
Slightly unfair on Mendes, after all he bought in Neves Nunes Cav Jota and quite a few more we made substantial profits on
Ok he makes money all round but thats his job,we dont have to buy his players, and all those mentioned in your post were highly regarded prior to coming here, just didnt work out,it happens

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another quote -

"It looks likely he will leave us this month and if it turns out that financially we can't add any, I don't foresee too many others leaving. People will have to stay and make up the numbers for us."

So if we dont bring anyone in no one else can go out, which i guess is fraser and hodge

People staying to make up the numbers doesnt sound great. Can see Corbeanu being kept around. If you compare our squad as it now is I would say we must have the least senior pros in a squad in the Premier League. We are lower on numbers than say Bournemouth and Fulham and most other rivals.

The biggest worry for me is injuries and a busy schedule. We will now have to pray the likes of Neto and Cunha stay fit and can play a sustained number of games or it will be a very weak attack by Premier League standards and could cost us points this season.

In fact as good as the Brighton game was for us I think a lack of options cost us a win in that game. A clinical striker coming on would have won us that game in my opinion.

Really surprised they are leaving the squad so light for the next half of the season. I am sure ONeil said he was confident we would have a stronger squad at the end of the window a few weeks back. It looks anything like that currently.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough.

GON isn't the hiring team though, so although he had a small say in this its Matt Hobbs who should be getting the credit. I'll admit I gave GON pelters and have since recanted. I never said a thing about Hobbs though.
Huh? I meant when O'Neil got hired, it was an absolute mess in here. People were losing their minds.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is on 156k a week apparentlÿ
Would have to accept half to come here…. Still just under 80k a week.

Still a better option than wasting millions on Broja who is a total cart horse. Ask any Chelsea fan what they think of him..

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be a shame to stunt the development of Fraiser and Hodge because we can't get a striker in.
I also thought GON looked a bit fed up during the press conference.

Funny you say that but I just watched the press conference and he looked a bit ****ed off for whatever reason.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
because it doesn’t say that, it’s not about seeing it differently it’s about actually reading the words and understanding them!
We may have been making progress, but Broja’s price for example seems to have leaped. so is that us or the clubs desperate for cash changing the goalposts?

it’s telling this thread has seen a few pessimists leap back into action after a period of inaction on here.

If you are referring to me mate I've been pretty ill for several months but resumed posting more a couple of weeks back as gradually improving.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My issue is how long have we known the financial details of a deal here. Have we only just realised he isnt viable? If not then why not? Gary ONeil seemed very confident of us getting a striker after the game on Monday and yet now today we are now unable to do deals for prime targets.
According to this we offered 30m obligation to buy ...it probably wasn't doable cause Chelsea wanted more.....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about the endless list of players who have been a success? Name me a club where every player works out?

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the PSR constraints set to tighten year on year until clubs can only spend 70% of turnover on player costs, we might have to get used to running with a lean squad.

It will become more and more important to buy players that are (a) adaptable (can play more than one position) and (b) have very good track records regarding injuries.

Back
Top Bottom