Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am calm I think the postering for 45 mill for Broja is all well and good until Chelsea find themselves a wonderkid they want and then the price goes down
Same with Adams Southampton in a postion of sell at a small price of he goes on a free, as the window gets closer the panic begins and the way we have structured ourselves is we want a striker but we wont be bullied so if worse case happens we settle
I would not be against Fraiser having some bench opportunties, may as well give our youth a go as everybody else has this season at some point

DJW

Reaction score
It would be a shame to stunt the development of Fraiser and Hodge because we can't get a striker in.
I also thought GON looked a bit fed up during the press conference.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'Neil: "Me, Matt Hobbs and the recruitment team have done an awful lot of work on a couple of options. We had a meeting yesterday and it looks like they're not going to be doable financially for us, at this point. It's disappointing firstly because we felt like we were making some headway on a couple, but it looks like they're not going to be doable."

I took that as us targeting players that we can't afford, which is bizarre on January 24th. Why are we wasting time on multiple players if they aren't in our price range?

O'Neil went from 'very confident' we would sign a striker on Monday, to now not knowing if we will get one in. So it seems as though the meeting yesterday was pretty significant.

I have no doubt you will see this differently though :)
because it doesn’t say that, it’s not about seeing it differently it’s about actually reading the words and understanding them!
We may have been making progress, but Broja’s price for example seems to have leaped. so is that us or the clubs desperate for cash changing the goalposts?

it’s telling this thread has seen a few pessimists leap back into action after a period of inaction on here.

JTWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Maybe also opportunity to call Chelsea bluff on how hard they want to move on Broja and guarantee future funds.
they may come back next week and go, you can have him but obligation is now 20 million in summer and loan fee is minimal and only pay half wage now.

either way, I’m quite happy to keep Fraser as option till summer

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also the days of us spending 20m plus are over, massive gamble for us with our current turnover as we have seen

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
because it doesn’t say that, it’s not about seeing it differently it’s about actually reading the words and understanding them!
We may have been making progress, but Broja’s price for example seems to have leaped. so is that us or the clubs desperate for cash changing the goalposts?

it’s telling this thread has seen a few pessimists leap back into action after a period of inaction on here.

The words say that we're targeting players we can't afford, and that we decided we couldn't afford them on January 24, which seems pretty daft to me.

Broja's price hasn't leaped. It was always nonsense. With respect, anyone with a brain knew Chelsea weren't holding out for £45m. Now it's £30m, imagine my shock.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm always amazed that some people never take on board the devastating effect injuries can have if there is no proper back up. WIthout any decent striker or winger coming in the burden on Hwang, Neto and Cunha will be huge. I will be amazed if at least one or more of them does not break down in the next few weeks as they are expected to play 95 minutes over and over again.
Fabio had to go off but Sasa did not. Utterly predictably the club can find noone even on loan that can meet their shrinking financial parameters.

If there is really so little money to play with after losing the wages of Fabio, Sasa and Jonny then why do we bother to operate as a Premier League club? This January's search for a striker and winger, as requested by Gary was phoney, an impossible mission to find players better or even as good as those we have when the club had so little to spend for even one loan.
I am assuming 'plan B' is either noone coming in or someone second rate or very young.
The wonderful current momentum will be stymied and the chances are that we will slip down the table instead of challenging for 7th or 8th say.
If we had at least kept Sasa I would not be so annoyed. But we are going to leave January with a significantly weakened squad. I assume also the chances for Fraser and others to go out on loan to get valuable experience will disappear too. Our striker reserve now consists of one18 year old. Brilliant Mr Hobbs and Mr Shi.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't buy this "we weren't using them" business with the other two strikers at all.
We had 4 potential goalscorers at the start of the season fighting it out for 2 places. Hwang was dropped a few times and had to earn his place by working his balls off and scoring goals. Noone would have predicted that before the start of the season, and there is no guarantee that he doesn't level off now he's made his spot his own. I want competition for places. I think what we're seeing now is a result of it as much as anything else. We have been 2 players per position everywhere except centre back, and the effort levels have been there throughout the pitch.
I think their pitch time in the last two months tells a different story. We absolutely weren’t using them

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
lets be honest here - played 21, so 17 left to go.
sitting on 29 points

magic number from the last few years:
  • 2022: 36 points.
  • 2021: 29 points.
  • 2020: 35 points.
  • 2019: 35 points.
  • 2018: 34 points.
  • 2017: 35 points.
  • 2016: 38 points.
  • 2015: 36 points.

so at the most we need 7 points from 17 games!

(yes i know higher up the table = more money but 17th to 8th is a spread of 20 mil)

so it doesnt make sense to buy one atm!
God forbid we capitalise on our good form and really push for Top 8 and the FA Cup!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The words say that we're targeting players we can't afford, and that we decided we couldn't afford them on January 24, which seems pretty daft to me.

Broja's price hasn't leaped. It was always nonsense. With respect, anyone with a brain knew Chelsea weren't holding out for £45m. Now it's £30m, imagine my shock.
no they don’t!! you don’t know why they aren’t financially doable and neither do i!!

How do you know?? you don’t, but that doesn’t fit your pessimistic outlook.

No one has spent anything, and while i’m disappointed i get it. Let’s enjoy where we are and see what happens.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
We should have a Wolves transfer window version of the Traitors. They've even got tasks to raise a bit of kitty.

In the last episode Julen Lopetegui was banished. £120 million was raised in the task but £100 million was dropped in a loch.

Still in - Guo Gwangchang, Jeff Shi, Matt Hobbs, Jorge Mendes, Gary O'Neil and 3 Mol Mixers. Let's go to the Round Table!

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clubs/players are obviously taking the **** with their demands, the 2 deals we can't do financially sound like Broja and Ekitike, and to be honest, I don't think either would be worth what we would have to pay, I've actually warmed to the idea of signing Che Adams and then going again in the summer

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
no they don’t!! you don’t know why they aren’t financially doable and neither do i!!

How do you know?? you don’t, but that doesn’t fit your pessimistic outlook.

No one has spent anything, and while i’m disappointed i get it. Let’s enjoy where we are and see what happens.

Why am I pessimistic? I've said, on this thread and others, that we're the second biggest overachievers in the league after Villa.
I've said I would be happy to have kept Sasa and done NO business.

So, you're just picking and choosing what I say to suit your view of me, like many others.

As for the 'financially doable', what are you even arguing here? O'Neil has said we can't sign players for financial reasons. Broja is £30m, what were they expecting? Why did we supposedly offer money for Dia in the summer? Where's that money gone? But you'd believe it's not Wolves moving the goalposts, it's actually every other club.

Do you honestly believe if we were 17th in the league then we would spend £0 in January? There's wriggle room, as reported by Percy, so the budgets should be known and we should have had someone lined up after Sasa left.

I don't care about anyone else. No other club has no natural strikers.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why am I pessimistic? I've said, on this thread and others, that we're the second biggest overachievers in the league after Villa.
I've said I would be happy to have kept Sasa and done NO business.

So, you're just picking and choosing what I say to suit your view of me, like many others.

As for the 'financially doable', what are you even arguing here? O'Neil has said we can't sign players for financial reasons. Broja is £30m, what were they expecting? Why did we supposedly offer money for Dia in the summer? Where's that money gone? But you'd believe it's not Wolves moving the goalposts, it's actually every other club.

Do you honestly believe if we were 17th in the league then we would spend £0 in January? There's wriggle room, as reported by Percy, so the budgets should be known and we should have had someone lined up after Sasa left.

I don't care about anyone else. No other club has no natural strikers.
What about if we have the funds, but don't want to spend them because it's an overpriced January market? The long term, realistic view is that we're comfortably safe this season, but not likely to finish in the top seven regardless of which striker we sign now. Why blow the summer budget now? Better options at better prices will be available in the summer. We don't need to panic buy now, we're in a very strong position in that sense.

Don't go on about Sasa, he's barely played and his comments since he left showed he didn't want to be here in the same role.

GornalWolf

Reaction score
Still nearly a week to go yet, prices may change, clubs may even come back in and say yes we’ll do it for lower in desperation. Worse case scenario we have the same players to choose from we have had all year and get a better number 9 in the summer. Really don’t see the issue with anything right now. We’re scoring goals, exciting and working for each other. Out and out number 9 or not.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs said this afew weeks ago in his presser.
It's almost like they are using prepared lines....maybe there are red posters and giant tvs on repeat in the inner halls of the mol, where the cameras dont go, with Jeff saying 'solutions are within', 'our main targets were not obtainable', 'ffp' etc

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think their pitch time in the last two months tells a different story. We absolutely weren’t using them
Hwang and Cunha were available and playing so well as much as anything else. Are you comfortable there is no need for either over the next few months? I'm not.

Madmalc

Reaction score
None of the teams around us have strengthened their squads (yet), two of those teams are staring at potential points deductions.
It might be the first window where not spending any money guarantees a 10 points advantage over 2 teams (same as 3 wins and a draw).
With the bottom 3 all looking like only a points deduction from those 2 teams will save one of them from going down, no players in looks safe enough.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about if we have the funds, but don't want to spend them because it's an overpriced January market? The long term, realistic view is that we're comfortably safe this season, but not likely to finish in the top seven regardless of which striker we sign now. Why blow the summer budget now? Better options at better prices will be available in the summer. We don't need to panic buy now, we're in a very strong position in that sense.

Don't go on about Sasa, he's barely played and his comments since he left showed he didn't want to be here in the same role.
Sasa barely played because Cunha and Hwang have been uinjured and done so well. There is no guarantee that will continue whatsoever and Sasa would have been very handy to bring on for the last 20 minutes of many games. It was foolish to alienate him and I am not surprised Eintracht snapped him up or that he was made to feel a bit negative. GON was presumably promised a replacement would be found otherwise he would never have agreed to both Fabio and Sasa leaving at the same time.

All those promises were hollow and noone is coming in it seems even on loan and even after we have cleared the decks on wages. In the whole of world football, having had months to prepare, we cannot find one player on loan of reasonable quality, either striker or winger. So we are far worse off and very vulnerable to in- juries/suspensions/loss of form. If Neto gets crocked again there is noone there to replace him. More centrally there is an 18 year old rookie, Fraser. If that is good plannig then, as they say, I am a banana.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just putting this out there is thi Broja any good ?

One thing wolves have in recent years is an amazing track record of buying dud strikers . So might be best waiting and spend a bit more money in the summer to get a VW Golf instead of the Smart car possibly.

I might be wrong as haven't seen loads of him if honest but his record isn't amazing is it .

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just putting this out there is thi Broja any good ?

One thing wolves have in recent years is an amazing track record of buying dud strikers .

I might be wrong as haven't seen loads of him if honest but his record isn't amazing is it .
Not for 30m especially

Back
Top Bottom