Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An expensive bench warmer then. I just don't see the point in his signing.
Rather spend that money on a lower league player who might come good. Makes zero sense to me signing Ings.
Agree he is an expensive bench warmer, unless WHU are subbing his wages, but will his wages cause division in the camp with other players who are starting and performing well not be8mg paid as much. Squad harmony is important.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree he is an expensive bench warmer, unless WHU are subbing his wages, but will his wages cause division in the camp with other players who are starting and performing well not be8mg paid as much. Squad harmony is important.
I really can’t see us getting him unless we expect him to be a starter.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's been reported that O'Neil was pushing as soon as he appointed to get a striker in.

So we're talking five months to get a striker and they're leaving it until the last week and Danny Ings on loan to become our top earner is apparently the solution. It really isn't good enough.

Ings is better than nothing, which is what we have. I'm not counting Fraser as he's 18, yet to play in the PL and was set to join Shrewsbury, so it's unfair to expect him to do the role of a second-choice striker.

However, I don't see how Ings is a real solution. Even if he did well, are we really going to sign him in the summer when he will be 32 and on wages in excess of £100,000 a week? I would hope not.

And, that's if he does well. The reality is he has scored two PL goals in 28 games for West Ham. So, if you take a balanced view, he's not good enough.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What planet are some of you on? Ings was MOTM in a Premier League game as recently as Sunday. We aren't going to get our long-term striker signed in January with no budget. A loan of a player who can play at the level, knows the league, will have no settling in period is ideal.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What planet are some of you on? Ings was MOTM in a Premier League game as recently as Sunday. We aren't going to get our long-term striker signed in January with no budget. A loan of a player who can play at the level, knows the league, will have no settling in period is ideal.
We're only allowed to sign world beaters apparently, even though we're skint till the summer.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Because your 'can play at the level' is very debatable right now.

Rowzed

Reaction score
It's been reported that O'Neil was pushing as soon as he appointed to get a striker in.

So we're talking five months to get a striker and they're leaving it until the last week and Danny Ings on loan to become our top earner is apparently the solution. It really isn't good enough.

Ings is better than nothing, which is what we have. I'm not counting Fraser as he's 18, yet to play in the PL and was set to join Shrewsbury, so it's unfair to expect him to do the role of a second-choice striker.

However, I don't see how Ings is a real solution. Even if he did well, are we really going to sign him in the summer when he will be 32 and on wages in excess of £100,000 a week? I would hope not.

And, that's if he does well. The reality is he has scored two PL goals in 28 games for West Ham. So, if you take a balanced view, he's not good enough.
Jimenez signed for Fulham at 32 and 100k per week, he hadn’t scored regularly for months. So it is likely the going rate, particularly if you expect to loan him for a period with no commitment to buy.

Even with a commitment to buy it wouldn’t be far off. We can only hope to compete in the market if we pay the going rate or shop elsewhere. All players will have options. If we stick to buying young and hungry we either get an unproven 19-20 year old or someone from a foreign league who won’t get up to speed in February.
Any experience will cost and likely be a loan or an FFP fire sale - so last week of the window stuff

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're only allowed to sign world beaters apparently, even though we're skint till the summer.

Baffles me that people are saying Ings is a short-term solution and that's a negative. That's exactly what we need, isn't it? Someone who can make an impact until May, won't cost the Earth (probably less than 2m for his wages), will hit the ground running and has proven ability in the league we're in. That's Ings.

Then re-evaluate in the summer.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was literally MOTM at this level two days ago.

He hasn't scored a Premier League goal for 11 months.

He's scored in 1 out of 28 games for West Ham in the league - and that was against Nottingham Forest (he scored two in that game), admittedly a lot as a sub.

He has zero goals in all competitions this season, which includes games against TSC from Serbia, Lincoln and Bristol City.

In my opinion, all of that overrides a commentator giving him MOTM against the worst team in the league.

I accept it's an okay deal financially for only six months, but I think the idea he is good enough for the Premier League right now is up for debate, and you can see my view on him.

Whoever we sign in this role is likely to play some part in every game, so I would like it to be better than Ings.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think Ings has the right style for the system. He does like to press, and the kinds of goals he is good at finishing are those that come off deep turnovers and scrambles in the box.

No interest in tying the club to him in any longer term way, but I could see him come on for either Cunha or Hwang in most matches and giving the team some legs and nous.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Totally agree with your post

The need for a central striker , as an alternative, as cover as a focal point has been screaming at us for years. Why dont we put in the ground work throughout the year, not in the last week of a window ? Its back to players your 10 year old child could name by watching MOTD on Sunday morning.
There are teams all over Europe and the world that could lead the line from our benches . There is hardly a Premier League team that has none like us.

Last edited:

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree with your post

The need for a central striker , as an alternative, as cover as a focal point has been screaming at us for years. Why dont we put in the ground work throughout the year, not in the last week of a window ? Its back to players your 10 year old child could name by weatching MOTD on Sunday morning.
There are teams all over Europe and the world that could lead the line from our benches . There is hardly a Premier League team that has none like us.

Because we have no money and it's January.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He hasn't scored a Premier League goal for 11 months.

He's scored in 1 out of 28 games for West Ham in the league - and that was against Nottingham Forest (he scored two in that game), admittedly a lot as a sub.

He has zero goals in all competitions this season, which includes games against TSC from Serbia, Lincoln and Bristol City.

In my opinion, all of that overrides a commentator giving him MOTM against the worst team in the league.

I accept it's an okay deal financially for only six months, but I think the idea he is good enough for the Premier League right now is up for debate, and you can see my view on him.

Whoever we sign in this role is likely to play some part in every game, so I would like it to be better than Ings.

Did you watch the game? He was excellent. I would saying actually playing well in the league we're in trumps your subjective view of him.

A PL ready striker at this time of the season for what we can afford is fantasy land stuff. They don't exist. The fact that we can get someone as good as Ings is huge.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was playing a team that'll be battling for mid table at best in the Championship next season, hence why I said, don't get blinded by that performance.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you watch the game? He was excellent. I would saying actually playing well in the league we're in trumps your subjective view of him.

A PL ready striker at this time of the season for what we can afford is fantasy land stuff. They don't exist. The fact that we can get someone as good as Ings is huge.
Yes I did. He wasn't 'excellent' IMO. I thought West Ham were terrible on the whole and Moyes said it was the worst performance under him.

If the MOTM was awarded at full-time instead of before the final whistle, I would say with near 100% confidence that a Sheff Utd player would've won MOTM, making your point irrelevant.
Instead, it was called in the 89th minute and they decided to go with a player on the winning team, and Ings probably was their best player.

He was probably a 7 or 8 out of 10. It was hardly incredible.

And, you're totally ignoring a year of evidence for one game against Sheffield United. That's not very balanced.

We can do a lot more than you think. A loan with an obligation for a better player is the obvious one.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lost to Sheffield United, in case you'd forgotten.

Who is this mythical PL standard striker who we can sign now on loan please? I am all ears.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lost to Sheffield United, in case you'd forgotten.

Who is this mythical PL standard striker who we can sign now on loan please? I am all ears.
What's us losing to Sheffield United got to do with anything? They're still poor.

Also, the whole point that you're seemingly ignoring is that Ings is not a Premier League standard striker in my opinion.

If it's a case of Ings or nobody, I'd take Ings.

I would have hoped our recruitment team could find better considering it has been the priority for five months.

If you want a name, I actually think Brereton Diaz would've been more suited to us, and he would have joined easily and within the budget.

Capable of playing across the front three. Good at pressing. Mobile. Fits the profile of the squad in that he's younger/hungry. Has also scored more PL goals than Ings this season despite playing only 66 minutes.

That's not me saying Brereton Diaz is brilliant or the answer. Just gives you an idea of where I rate Ings at the moment.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's us losing to Sheffield United got to do with anything? They're still poor.

Also, the whole point that you're seemingly ignoring is that Ings is not a Premier League standard striker in my opinion.

If it's a case of Ings or nobody, I'd take Ings.

I would have hoped our recruitment team could find better considering it has been the priority for five months.

If you want a name, I actually think Brereton Diaz would've been more suited to us, and he would have joined easily and within the budget.

Capable of playing across the front three. Good at pressing. Mobile. Fits the profile of the squad in that he's younger/hungry. Has also scored more PL goals than Ings this season despite playing only 66 minutes.

That's not me saying Brereton Diaz is brilliant or the answer. Just gives you an idea of where I rate Ings at the moment.

So you can't name one? As expected.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What lol?

Yes he was available. He joined Sheffield United this window on loan from Villarreal. So he would've been within our budget and he would surely have chosen to sign for us over them.

Sorry are out scouts capable of time travel? BBD has moved to Sheffield United. I want to know who we can get now who is PL standard, will join and who we can afford.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On balance I think there's enough "30+" outfield experience in the squad already without Danny Ings -
Semedo
Doherty
Dawson
Lemina
Sarabia

Four regular starters there. However, if it's Ings or Nowt, I'll take Ings - so long as the cost is reasonable and the commitment is short-term.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What lol?

Yes he was available. He joined Sheffield United this window on loan from Villarreal. So he would've been within our budget and he would surely have chosen to sign for us over them.
Brereton Diaz hadn't scored a goal this season until the weekend, and had never played a minute at this level either. Hardly levels above Ings, who's scored over 70 goals at this level. Of course his best years are behind him but he could make an impact on a short term loan.

We hardly have a plethora of options on a limited budget and with clubs not wanting to do business in January.

Back
Top Bottom