Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brereton Diaz hadn't scored a goal this season until the weekend, and had never played a minute at this level either. Hardly levels above Ings, who's scored over 70 goals at this level. Of course his best years are behind him but he could make an impact on a short term loan.

We hardly have a plethora of options on a limited budget and with clubs not wanting to do business in January.

That's your opinion, fine. I don't think Ings can make an impact in the short-term, and I'm basing it on the fact he hasn't scored a league goal for 11 months and is yet to score in all competitions this season.

I really don't think that is an opinion that warrants criticism. In fact, I bet it's one many on here would share if Ings was linked with a move to Everton for example.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's your opinion, fine. I don't think Ings can make an impact in the short-term, and I'm basing it on the fact he hasn't scored a league goal for 11 months and is yet to score in all competitions this season.

I really don't think that is an opinion that warrants criticism. In fact, I bet it's one many on here would share if Ings was linked with a move to Everton for example.
I'm not saying he's perfect. It's unlikely anyone we get in January is going to be scoring goals regularly at a top level, because we can't afford a striker of that calibre. If GON can get a decent level out of Ings, like he has with the rest of this group, I think he could chip in with a few important goals. He won't require any time to bed in, and he'd be on a temporary loan.

Not suggesting it's a flawless signing, just that it's hardly the car crash many want to portray it as, if it happens.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whoever we bring has to be better than Sasa, otherwise there was no point. Even Gary has said they need to be better than what we've got.

When compared, Sasa is taller than Ings so offers a back to goal option. Sasa has scored two more PL goals this season than Ings in far less minutes. Neither Sasa nor Ings has the legs to get in behind. Neither Sasa nor Ings could ever be said to be fully fit. Sasa's holdup play and wall passes are at least the equivalent of Ings. Sasa was on half the wages of Ings so economically it would have been better to keep him. Sasa was younger than Ings so had more room develop as he got used to the league.

The only thing in Ings favour is his ability to close down. But I have never seen a game with Danny Ings where he looks like our current strikeforce- closing down on the half way line and charging towards goal with purpose.

Gary clearly didn't want a plan B throughout the Autumn, which is what Sasa provided, so why would he want a plan B three weeks later? It needs to be someone with physicality that fits plan A. Ings doesn't fit plan A and is a worse option than our previous plan B.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we may well have done if Hwang had.
I was going to say the same thing but then saw your post.

But, upon reflection, Jade’s question is still a good one……. although we didn’t have Hwang but had we had Ings as an option, might he have scored?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever we bring has to be better than Sasa, otherwise there was no point. Even Gary has said they need to be better than what we've got.

When compared, Sasa is taller than Ings so offers a back to goal option. Sasa has scored two more PL goals this season than Ings in far less minutes. Neither Sasa nor Ings has the legs to get in behind. Neither Sasa nor Ings could ever be said to be fully fit. Sasa's holdup play and wall passes are at least the equivalent of Ings. Sasa was on half the wages of Ings so economically it would have been better to keep him. Sasa was younger than Ings so had more room develop as he got used to the league.

The only thing in Ings favour is his ability to close down. But I have never seen a game with Danny Ings where he looks like our current strikeforce- closing down on the half way line and charging towards goal with purpose.

Gary clearly didn't want a plan B throughout the Autumn, which is what Sasa provided, so why would he want a plan B three weeks later? It needs to be someone with physicality that fits plan A. Ings doesn't fit plan A and is a worse option than our previous plan B.
Sasa was clearly unhappy and didn't want to be here any longer. You don't want a player like that affecting the morale of the entire group. It's never as simple as "just keep X player".

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry are out scouts capable of time travel? BBD has moved to Sheffield United. I want to know who we can get now who is PL standard, will join and who we can afford.

We can afford lots. A loan with an obligation is something that many clubs across Europe would consider.

We also have more wriggle room than you think. It's been claimed previously by John Percy that we could have signed Durosinmi for around £10m, which he says is our price range this month.

It's not my job to recruit players, so asking me for a name is pointless. You're also ignoring again the critical point that I don't think Ings is PL standard as of now.

I would look across Europe, and I presume you'd respond with Ings is better than whoever I say because they have PL experience.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sasa was clearly unhappy and didn't want to be here any longer. You don't want a player like that affecting the morale of the entire group. It's never as simple as "just keep X player".
He was only unhappy because we weren't giving him the playing time his cameos deserved!

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Sasa was unusable as a pressing forward. He simply doesn't have the legs for it. It destroys the whole structure. The only thing he can do in this system (and maybe this league) is get brought on late to nick a goal, which he did well a couple times.

Ings can run and press.

I wouldn't say he's a better player overall than Sasa at this point in his career, but he is better for what Wolves do.

It's really a shame Fabio was so awful to start the season. This position (coming off the bench for fresh legs in the press and to sniff around for goals) should be something he can do at his age. He showed comprehensively he cannot do it this season.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was only unhappy because we weren't giving him the playing time his cameos deserved!
I don't think he suits the way GON wants to play. Can Ings be more effective in a similar role? I don't know, but I certainly don't agree that he's as good as useless. If GON thinks he can get a tune out of him, I'm all for it.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Baffles me that people are saying Ings is a short-term solution and that's a negative. That's exactly what we need, isn't it? Someone who can make an impact until May, won't cost the Earth (probably less than 2m for his wages), will hit the ground running and has proven ability in the league we're in. That's Ings.

Then re-evaluate in the summer.
What would we get for that £2m that we can’t get with our current squad?

To break even on his wages, he’d have to get us up a place in the table……could he do that?
Debateble.

However, if we had injuries, then Ings might very well be worth it……maybe.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can afford lots. A loan with an obligation is something that many clubs across Europe would consider.

We also have more wriggle room than you think. It's been claimed previously by John Percy that we could have signed Durosinmi for around £10m, which he says is our price range this month.

It's not my job to recruit players, so asking me for a name is pointless. You're also ignoring again the critical point that I don't think Ings is PL standard as of now.

I would look across Europe, and I presume you'd respond with Ings is better than whoever I say because they have PL experience.

You won't get anything for £10m, you certainly won't get anyone who is anywhere near proven at PL level.

As I've said, Ings was MOTM in a Premier League game two days ago. Not sure what more proof you need than that, but all he has to be is better than Nathan Fraser, which is clearly is at this point.

The player you want us to sign simply does not exist.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think he suits the way GON wants to play. Can Ings be more effective in a similar role? I don't know, but I certainly don't agree that he's as good as useless. If GON thinks he can get a tune out of him, I'm all for it.
Sasa was unusable as a pressing forward. He simply doesn't have the legs for it. It destroys the whole structure. The only thing he can do in this system (and maybe this league) is get brought on late to nick a goal, which he did well a couple times.

Ings can run and press.

I wouldn't say he's a better player overall than Sasa at this point in his career, but he is better for what Wolves do.

It's really a shame Fabio was so awful to start the season. This position should be something he can do at his age. He showed comprehensively he cannot do it this season.
I don't think Ings is a pressing forward either, he hasn't got the legs to maintain a press or the pace to play anything like our current forwards do. So he would only be a plan B, which Gary has already shown through his treatment of Sasa, he doesn't want.

Now that's Gary's prerogative, and I think he has been proven right. So let's not waste money on a plan B player who hasn't got the attributes he clearly values and who Gary, therefore, will be very unlikely to use.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What would we get for that £2m that we can’t get with our current squad?

To break even on his wages, he’d have to get us up a place in the table……could he do that?
Debateble.

However, if we had injuries, then Ings might very well be worth it……maybe.

But if Hwang gets injured and we drop 3 places, what will that cost us?

We won't get anything permanently striker-wise for £2m, it's 2024. We couldn't even sign Cutrone back for that. We can spend maybe 5x that for someone who is unproven at this level, but in that case we may as well just play Fraser.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You won't get anything for £10m, you certainly won't get anyone who is anywhere near proven at PL level.

As I've said, Ings was MOTM in a Premier League game two days ago. Not sure what more proof you need than that, but all he has to be is better than Nathan Fraser, which is clearly is at this point.

The player you want us to sign simply does not exist.

Do you not think it's funny that I'm offering stats that stretch back a year to justify my opinion. You're offering one game and the opinion of a commentator. But you're 'not sure what proof I need'?

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think Ings is a pressing forward either, he hasn't got the legs to maintain a press or the pace to play anything like our current forwards do. So he would only be a plan B, which Gary has already shown through his treatment of Sasa, he doesn't want.

Now that's Gary's prerogative, and I think he has been proven right. So let's not waste money on a plan B player who hasn't got the attributes he clearly values and who Gary, therefore, will be very unlikely to use.

Ings is much better technically than Sasa, would hold the ball up better. Can also play deeper allowing us to play 4-4-2 or two up top if we need.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mosquera gone then. Gary and the players deserve some support now from the powers that be and a couple of loan additions. Our squad is way too short now. That will be four untried kids on the bench at the **** on Sunday now. I dont mind a couple of young lads on the bench but four is too many for a Premier League club. Time to back Gary now as he deserves it.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If the alternative is nothing, or worse than Ings, would what you do? You wanted to keep Mosquera around as insurance despite it meaning he'd likely play very few minutes, so just trying to understand your perspective.

If your opinion is "someone else" then we need to be realistic about what's available in January on a very limited budget.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you not think it's funny that I'm offering stats that stretch back a year to justify my opinion. You're offering one game and the opinion of a commentator. But you're 'not sure what proof I need'?

Yeah I'd rather use more recent evidence, like Sunday. Nonetheless, your stats amount to him scoring a goal every 5 games, so about 8 a season. That's fine for a backup striker.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mosquera gone then. Gary and the players deserve some support now from the powers that be and a couple of loan additions. Our squad is way too short now. That will be four untried kids on the bench at the **** on Sunday now. I dont mind a couple of young lads on the bench but four is too many for a Premier League club. Time to back Gary now as he deserves it.
We have four coming back in February. A striker would be nice though.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ings is much better technically than Sasa, would hold the ball up better. Can also play deeper allowing us to play 4-4-2 or two up top if we need.
Again though, Gary isn't changing plan A so talk of ways he could change plan A is irrelevant. He doesn't want a holdup player or the ability to change formation. He wants a player who is better than the current ones at playing the way he has currently got them playing. Ings isn't that.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But if Hwang gets injured and we drop 3 places, what will that cost us?

We won't get anything permanently striker-wise for £2m, it's 2024. We couldn't even sign Cutrone back for that. We can spend maybe 5x that for someone who is unproven at this level, but in that case we may as well just play Fraser.
Good points but I‘m still a bit leery.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I'd rather use more recent evidence, like Sunday. Nonetheless, your stats amount to him scoring a goal every 5 games, so about 8 a season. That's fine for a backup striker.
He has zero goals in 20 appearances this season (594 minutes).

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the alternative is nothing, or worse than Ings, would what you do? You wanted to keep Mosquera around as insurance despite it meaning he'd likely play very few minutes, so just trying to understand your perspective.

If your opinion is "someone else" then we need to be realistic about what's available in January on a very limited budget.

100%. I'm not actually wed to the idea of Ings but realistically with our budget and at this time of year it will be extremely difficult to find someone who fits what we need better than Ings. Very few clubs will want to sell their star striker anyway, and we'd be looking at guys who are totally unproven in the PL. In that case, we'd just be better off playing Fraser.

The idea that we could get a proven PL striker for a couple of million who we'd not obliged to buy later and is ready to play now is pretty amazing IMO, so the idea that Ings would be a "useless" signing if baffling to me.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

My view is, the way Gary has got the front three playing is very impressive. I said on another thread that it reminds me of Liverpool. We change that to suit individuals with lesser or different skillsets, we potentially lose what is looking like a functioning and potent forward line.

I get that's why Sasa has been moved on, but lets not pretend Ings is going to help keep that style going either. So it has to be an option for plan A or we might as well not bother.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has zero goals in 20 appearances this season (594 minutes).

So he hasn't scored in SIX games of mostly sub appearances? Ollie Watkins hasn't scored in 4 games. Hwang didn't score for 14 months. Jimenez didn't score at all last season.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So he hasn't scored in SIX games of mostly sub appearances? Ollie Watkins hasn't scored in 4 games. Hwang didn't score for 14 months. Jimenez didn't score at all last season.
You said the stats suggest he would score 8 a season, but they don’t.

They did, but this season he’s on for 0.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Look, if you don't think Danny Ings is a pressing forward style-wise then you just think he's totally useless and there's no conversation to be had. From FBRef.

1706037085840.png

Cunha
1706037185558.png

Hwang1706037224783.png

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My view is, the way Gary has got the front three playing is very impressive. I said on another thread that it reminds me of Liverpool. We change that to suit individuals with lesser or different skillsets, we potentially lose what is looking like a functioning and potent forward line.

I get that's why Sasa has been moved on, but lets not pretend Ings is going to help keep that style going either. So it has to be an option for plan A or we might as well not bother.
Fully understand your point, just don't think we can afford to be too picky. We just need a capable backup until the end of the season. The perfect fit I'm sure will be addressed in the summer, when we have the budget for it again.

Ings may not be as mobile as he once was, but I still think he has something to offer, our system may work better for him than at West Ham, where he was expected to play as a #9 in the Antonio mould. Best case scenario he'd play 15-20 minutes a week and maybe chip in with the odd goal as Sasa did.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still think he could have scored last night as he did in the other two games he came on and scored in. Our squad depth is really poor at present. I hope it doesnt start costing us.
He wouldn't cause the manager wouldn't have brought him on....cause he didn't rate him....

Squad depth you are right ...I agree....but Sasa would have made zero difference last night cause O'Neil didn't rate him....

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fully understand your point, just don't think we can afford to be too picky. We just need a capable backup until the end of the season. The perfect fit I'm sure will be addressed in the summer, when we have the budget for it again.

Ings may not be as mobile as he once was, but I still think he has something to offer, our system may work better for him than at West Ham, where he was expected to play as a #9 in the Antonio mould. Best case scenario he'd play 15-20 minutes a week and maybe chip in with the odd goal as Sasa did.
Whereas my view is, if we are not going to get a perfect fit and have to settle for a different plan B anyway, we probably should have just given Sasa the minutes he deserved. And that would have been a financially better choice too!

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look, if you don't think Danny Ings is a pressing forward style-wise then you just think he's totally useless and there's no conversation to be had. From FBRef.

View attachment 39980

Cunha
View attachment 39981

HwangView attachment 39982

These aren't per-90, though. Ings does really well on defensive metrics:

1706037543086.png

Bit baffled that people don't think he's a presser because that's literally what he was known for.

A high press suits Ings as it creates turnovers in the final third which is where he is most effective

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whereas my view is, if we are not going to get a perfect fit and have to settle for a different plan B anyway, we probably should have just given Sasa the minutes he deserved. And that would have been a financially better choice too!
From Sasa's comments I'm not convinced he wanted to keep fighting for his place. No point keeping an unhappy player when morale in the dressing room is very good at the moment.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
These aren't per-90, though. Ings does really well on defensive metrics:

View attachment 39983

Bit baffled that people don't think he's a presser because that's literally what he was known for.

A high press suits Ings as it creates turnovers in the final third which is where he is most effective
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom