Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is our strikeforce good enough?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we recall Leigh Griffiths?
He can play out wide or upfront and has pace.

ProudWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tricky one at the moment. Doyle has been superb but isn't looking like scoring and SEB has scored a few but is not the ideal striker to play in a more possession based team. He gives the ball away quite a lot.
Can see Sigurdarson getting a run soon but not sure which one I'd drop!

L

luckyjim

Tricky one at the moment. Doyle has been superb but isn't looking like scoring and SEB has scored a few but is not the ideal striker to play in a more possession based team. He gives the ball away quite a lot.
Can see Sigurdarson getting a run soon but not sure which one I'd drop!

Sigurdarson upfront next game for me. He should get a run now.

M

Metro Wolf 2007

Paul Franks from Radio WM was quicker at half time than the strikers! :eek:

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have real issues in the Stiker department , none seem to complement each other at all.

SEB = Look's fat , slow , horrific build up play but continues to score goals despite missing a couple of sitters.

Doyle - Great running , decent in the air , decent hold up play yet couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo and the chance tonight would have probably won us the game at 2 - 0.

Sig - Not sure at all what this guy is about , supper strike away at Posh , really poor at Ipswich and can't see that he can feed off Doyle as they are quite similar in style.

Nouble - AWOL and not good enough IMHO #cack.

The thing that is obvious is none of them are what you would call quick and that is a must for any striker we bring in.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Doyle's gone from a 1 in 3 man during his early career at Reading to a 1 in 5 man at Wolves. SEB will get goals at this level, but the jury's still out on whether he's the player he was 4 years ago at Championship level. Looks to me like Sigurdarson will be Doyle's under-study this season and will be more of a second striker than a prolific goalscorer.

Overall, we do need more cutting edge and movement up front and more strength in depth. At a minimum, it would be good to have someone who can come off the bench, poach a goal and cover for SEB. Be interesting to see if SS recalls Griffiths or Cassidy or gives Nouble a chance. If he doesn't trust those options, we probably need to bring someone in on loan.

H

Hatch End

SEB may have 5 goals to his name, but one was a penalty and tonight's was such a gift even Doyle would have scored............hmm, well maybe not Doyle!

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
SEB and Doyle aren't valuable enough to be on the pitch at the same time for me, they've also never clicked as a partnership in 3 seasons so they won't now. 5 man midfield is what we should be aiming for, 3 attacking minded (any combination from Sako, Sigg, Boukari, O'Hara, Edwards and Pez I would be fine with) in front of Doumbia and Henry whom would then have less pressure on them to push up the field and be overworked.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle has never really struck a good partnership with anyone - not even Fletcher. He's the problem for me. As I've said before, he's a good player - but he's a luxury we can't afford. His style doesn't fit it with our style. If we had midfielders chipping in with some goals, then we'd be fine - but we don't. We rely on our strikers to score.

Doyle doesn't work on his own up front. He just doesn't score enough for us to play him up front on his own hoping he's going to score the goals we need to win games. He won't.

Ebanks also can't play up front on his own. He'll get the goals - but he's a poacher. He doesn't do the donkey work. He needs someone else up there with him to do the leg work for him.

Let's face it, the goals problem has been an issue for a while. We were poor in that department last season too. Without Fletchers goals last season, we'd have been relegated in March. Nobody else chipped in regularly.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Ebanks and Doyle just don't work. They also won't work on their own up front either. Siggy isn't an out-and-out striker, and Nouble looks like a cheap Heskey. We need a Kevin Phillips type player - but there isn't anyone around like that.

I'd be tempted to drop Doyle and try Siggy with Ebanks to see if they can get a partnership going.

If all else fails and we get really desperate, I think we could do much worse than trying Sako out up front. The guy isn't afraid to have a pop at goal, he has one hell of a shot on him, and he put himself about. He may not be a striker, but I personally feel that he looks like he could adapt to that role quite easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pitch took a bit of a hammering last night apparently.

So much so that the ground staff had to get in early.

As they came down the tunnel at 6.30 to start work SEB was just arriving in the penalty area to get on the end of one of those crosses.

So much to applaud about our play at the moment but please...I swear he's getting slower.

F

FLEET WOLF

Doyle has never really struck a good partnership with anyone - not even Fletcher. He's the problem for me. As I've said before, he's a good player - but he's a luxury we can't afford. His style doesn't fit it with our style. If we had midfielders chipping in with some goals, then we'd be fine - but we don't. We rely on our strikers to score.

Doyle doesn't work on his own up front. He just doesn't score enough for us to play him up front on his own hoping he's going to score the goals we need to win games. He won't.

Ebanks also can't play up front on his own. He'll get the goals - but he's a poacher. He doesn't do the donkey work. He needs someone else up there with him to do the leg work for him.

Let's face it, the goals problem has been an issue for a while. We were poor in that department last season too. Without Fletchers goals last season, we'd have been relegated in March. Nobody else chipped in regularly.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Ebanks and Doyle just don't work. They also won't work on their own up front either. Siggy isn't an out-and-out striker, and Nouble looks like a cheap Heskey. We need a Kevin Phillips type player - but there isn't anyone around like that.

I'd be tempted to drop Doyle and try Siggy with Ebanks to see if they can get a partnership going.

If all else fails and we get really desperate, I think we could do much worse than trying Sako out up front. The guy isn't afraid to have a pop at goal, he has one hell of a shot on him, and he put himself about. He may not be a striker, but I personally feel that he looks like he could adapt to that role quite easily.

Largely agree with all of that. I really wish we had sold Doyle in the summer-he will only get worse from now on.

Back
Top Bottom